• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original copy of Alien Resurrection on PS1 enables you to play pirated games using cheat code!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I did this thread right after he posted on his channel!

I barely noticed this thread this morning :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Amazing discovery for what should be one of the most memorable console shooters of all time, everyone talks about halo being that game, while resurrection is average as fuck its one of the first ever console games to make the right stick move up it doesnt move down and at the time critics fucking hated it because of it

True but Halo also had a grenade button and excellent LAN support. Doesn’t help that Alien Resurrection itself was considered a less-than-stellar film upon release. Its rare to have a good movie tie-in game, much less one thats better than the actual movie. People probably wrote this off as dime-a-dozen shovoelware.

coffinbirth

I have some protos, i even paid for some...Some hacks are awesome, i have a lot of them as well!
Oh man, I do love me some romhacks!

Right now I'm playing Batman Eternity, a Batman Forever romhack that removes all the platforming and puzzles and just makes it a straight-forward brawler.

I remember going to SEA and the greatest hits version of FF9 was being sold for $40 meanwhile a block away was a stall selling pirated everything and all they charged was a $1 a disc.

CamHostage

True but Halo also had a grenade button and excellent LAN support. Doesn’t help that Alien Resurrection itself was considered a less-than-stellar film upon release. Its rare to have a good movie tie-in game, much less one thats better than the actual movie. People probably wrote this off as dime-a-dozen shovoelware.

And much more precise control and a significantly larger FOV and far fewer technical glitches/limitations in how it handled it aiming and tracked enemy movement. Alien Resurrection also had really awful target assist (or maybe none at all, I can't remember?) and so, like the PS2 version of Half-Life, shooting tiny little jumpy-crawly things was a nightmare. Plus Alien had a 180-turn button if you clicked the stick, which in theory was there to help players (enemies constantly came at you from behind) but sort of worked against you since it removed the natural "when I move the stick this way I see this" connection you have with the controller and instead made it a panicky combination of buttons and sticks every time you got attacked.

If you've ever played a PC shooter with bad mouselook tuning (which is rare these days as developers adopted some general standards,) where you have to swipe the mouse all across your pad and constantly have too much or not enough drift and the clickwheel does something weirdly unexpected, it's kind of that same feeling that you can't enjoy the game no matter what the control scheme is.

(I would be curious to play this today though. There's a 60FPS Duckstation clock setting that looks really playable.)

It's not that Alien Resurrection was the first to have dual-analog FPS play (MoH and Goldeneye/PD had optional control schemes for this... also TimeSplitters 1 and UT came out on PS2 the same month as Alien Resurrection, I don't think either had the modern aiming setup as standard but they for sure both offered it, whereas I apparently Alien Resurrection let you modify the controls.) I don't think the idea was so impossibly innovative that nobody could get it. But coupled with the problems/frustrations technically and the common standards of control defaults/options in other FPSes of the time, Alien Resurrection fought against you getting used to it even if the control scheme would eventually feel totally natural it future games/

BTW, same thing a year earlier...

4QgOaOK.png

Last edited:

Gp1

I also like why some stages, or why some games change so drastically in the final product...Protos, betas, secrets in the industry...
I just saw a video about Sonic 2, was fabulous!

I dunno if people here are interested in some different stuff, its all about flame behind words, masked provocative threads, graphics and console war.

I have tons of ideas of threads, content, games indications (overlooked, forgotten or obscure)...But i dunno if here is the right place.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Ps. I believe that i never saw an original Psone disk in Brazil, besides the demo disk that came with the console, until the late 2000's.

Top Bottom