• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original copy of Alien Resurrection on PS1 enables you to play pirated games using cheat code!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's pretty cool, and probably would have been super handy to know 25 years ago! Nowadays though, it feels like there are much easier ways of doing this.

coffinbirth

Yeah, some games has some codes to exploit.
Im not into piracy, i collect games, but i think those discoveries fascinating!
Yeah, there's certainly a piracy element to exploiting a game console, this Alien example, in particular, seems to only really grant the ability to play backups. As opposed to the ones I mentioned that led to allowing those consoles to run homebrew software and beyond. Personally, I participate in both camps...I'm an avid collector as well as hacking/exploiting/modifying anything that I can get my hands on. Having a open platform adds so much value to these consoles and is why I still have so many of them hooked up and ready to go!

Yeah, there's certainly a piracy element to exploiting a game console, this Alien example, in particular, seems to only really grant the ability to play backups. As opposed to the ones I mentioned that led to allowing those consoles to run homebrew software and beyond. Personally, I participate in both camps...I'm an avid collector as well as hacking/exploiting/modifying anything that I can get my hands on. Having a open platform adds so much value to these consoles and is why I still have so many of them hooked up and ready to go!
I have some protos, i even paid for some...Some hacks are awesome, i have a lot of them as well!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How the hell did this get past certification?!

I mean, it was suuuuuuper early days. Their process at the time was probably not in-depth enough to find stuff like this buried in there, and by 2000 when this came out, attention had probably shifted firmly to the PS2.

Pretty cool but how common were CD burners in those days?

Rare, but becoming more widespread. I got mine at the end of 1999 for like $300, which was a ton of money at the time, but nowhere near what they'd cost prior. In 2000, they dropped to the $200-250 range IIRC. Spendy, but not absurd. I think they were still pretty uncommon as far as shipping with prebuilt PCs.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

CD burners were rare in 1997, and probably only 2 speed tops.

We had a 4 speed in 1999, that costs about 250 bucks. Burning a game would take 20 minutes on average, and would typically fail if I forgot to shut off ICQ and someone would message me lol.

You could easily win that investment back though. VCD and games were sold for about 5-10 bucks a piece. In high school these deals were rampant.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pretty cool but how common were CD burners in those days?

Very.

My PSone was modded to play imports, but it could also play copied games.
A couple buddies at work and a personal friend all got mod chips installed, and we all had CD Burners.

Get yourself a pack of blank CDs and hit up Blockbuster Video for the latest games. I even had a label maker to make duplicates of the artwork that some of the games had.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are people going about the rarity of burners and pirated games, not once did I ever meet a PS owner who didn't have a modded system back in the day and even if you didn't have a burner yourself or anyone you knew the mod chippers sold pirated games as well so everybody was covered.

PS was that successful partly because of the rampant piracy, at least in certain regions, similar to PSP but on a much grander scale (hence legit owners or pirates who only bought their most favorite and special games being enough to also have crazy software sales too, even with rentals mixed in).

Last edited:
Even as rare as CD burners were back then, the real cost was blank CDs... at first you had to buy in bulk of 100 blanks at like $3 to $5 each.
I remember the first time I bought a 100 spindle of blanks, Me and some friends took a 7 hour drive to an anime convention. Went into this huge computer store and they had that spindle of blanks that had no labels or markings anywhere, had to look close to see which side was up. That stack had so many coasters. At least the convention was fun.

Duchess

Just going to post that amazing comment from Gamespot's Alien Resurrection review once again :)

YLRSDSxa1pThgjpjVQAhxU6KFSnV9y9nl4JQACvXt6g.png

SkylineRKR

Very.

My PSone was modded to play imports, but it could also play copied games.
A couple buddies at work and a personal friend all got mod chips installed, and we all had CD Burners.

Get yourself a pack of blank CDs and hit up Blockbuster Video for the latest games. I even had a label maker to make duplicates of the artwork that some of the games had.

This was the same for us. But someone would always have a connection to a guy who had the latest games day one. We would sometimes rent as well. But the downside of all this is that games won't get much playtime due to saturation. Ultimately I just started to buy games again, really play them, and the modchip would make the console region free.

Love learning about stuff like this. MVG always has interesting vids about such things.
I also like why some stages, or why some games change so drastically in the final product...Protos, betas, secrets in the industry...
I just saw a video about Sonic 2, was fabulous!

I dunno if people here are interested in some different stuff, its all about flame behind words, masked provocative threads, graphics and console war.

I have tons of ideas of threads, content, games indications (overlooked, forgotten or obscure)...But i dunno if here is the right place.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This was the same for us. But someone would always have a connection to a guy who had the latest games day one. We would sometimes rent as well. But the downside of all this is that games won't get much playtime due to saturation. Ultimately I just started to buy games again, really play them, and the modchip would make the console region free.

Yep, I experienced a downside as well. Having everything started to actually sour the hobby. I didn’t have the time to play all of these games and they sort of became disposable entertainment that I didn’t care about.

CD burners were rare in 1997, and probably only 2 speed tops.

We had a 4 speed in 1999, that costs about 250 bucks. Burning a game would take 20 minutes on average, and would typically fail if I forgot to shut off ICQ and someone would message me lol.

You could easily win that investment back though. VCD and games were sold for about 5-10 bucks a piece. In high school these deals were rampant.
Was PS1 piracy rampant? I was a PC gamer back then so what was happening on consoles completely escaped me.

phaedrus

Just going to post that amazing comment from Gamespot's Alien Resurrection review once again :)

YLRSDSxa1pThgjpjVQAhxU6KFSnV9y9nl4JQACvXt6g.png
LOL I remember that too.

I wonder if that was Greg Kasavin (who later joined Supergiant Games), or James Mielke (who also became a game dev), or that bum Gerstmann (who's still a bum).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is such a cool discovery, but also no shit they didn't disclose this to Sony when certifying the game, lol. No way in hell would this be approved.

Beechos

Was PS1 piracy rampant? I was a PC gamer back then so what was happening on consoles completely escaped me.
He'll yeah it was rampant. If memory serves me right there was this tooth like piece on the cd cover and when you would close the cover after putting in the disc it would push down this button on the ps1. So all you had to do was use a small piece of plastic straw and put it over the tooth piece so when you close and open the cover that button would still be held down by the straw since the straw would collapse and expand.

All one had to do at that point was boot up og disc open disc cover, the straw would keep down button held down and swap with a copy and close cover.

consoul

The video makes it seem like a lot of effort, but the debug menus can be permanently enabled (by saving to memory card), so you only need to input the final code once to boot a backup.

It's really a pretty viable method.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw this earlier, cool stuff. Even outside this revelation its a genuinely engaging game. Just please set it on Easy difficulty. It is NOT balanced well and Normal mode is comparable to most games’ Extreme/Nightmare difficulty.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Jesus buddy, in Italy it was a rarity to meet someone who actually bought games from a store instead than from a random street peddler for one tenth of the original’s price. Whoever didn’t have a CD burner knew someone who copied games in bulk. I was pretty much the only idiot in my class at school, and maybe in the entire school, who didn’t have a modded PS and didn’t even buy a boot disc to play imports until late in the year 2K.

I wish I was exaggerating things but no, every single PS owner I knew IRL played pirate games and laughed at me for not doing so. Only on forums I’d meet people who played mostly, or exclusively, original games.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Sounds like how Splinter Cell on Xbox, and how it lets you soft mod it.
The amount of Linux engineers right now that started in the scene are nuts. I really miss that early 00s hacking/homebrew scene, not saying it doesn't exist now but those folks who would've been getting their hands dirty are all security engineers or just outright using open platforms and GitHub to get their start.

Saw this earlier, cool stuff. Even outside this revelation its a genuinely engaging game. Just please set it on Easy difficulty. It is NOT balanced well and Normal mode is comparable to most games’ Extreme/Nightmare difficulty.

I laugh my ass off when the developers said they finished the game with just the pistol, I'm sure when it's your full time job to design and break the game you could do it with a shoestring I bet.

Last edited:
Jesus buddy, in Italy it was a rarity to meet someone who actually bought games from a store instead than from a random street peddler for one tenth of the original’s price. Whoever didn’t have a CD burner knew someone who copied games in bulk. I was pretty much the only idiot in my class at school, and maybe in the entire school, who didn’t have a modded PS and didn’t even buy a boot disc to play imports until late in the year 2K.

I wish I was exaggerating things but no, every single PS owner I knew IRL played pirate games and laughed at me for not doing so. Only on forums I’d meet people who played mostly, or exclusively, oriyginal games.
I never had a single pirated game on PS1...And im from Brazil!
Yeah, i know...

Ps2 i burned some just to see if i like, if yes then i imported.

Shut0wen

Amazing discovery for what should be one of the most memorable console shooters of all time, everyone talks about halo being that game, while resurrection is average as fuck its one of the first ever console games to make the right stick move up it doesnt move down and at the time critics fucking hated it because of it

Amazing discovery for what should be one of the most memorable console shooters of all time, everyone talks about halo being that game, while resurrection is average as fuck its one of the first ever console games to make the right stick move up it doesnt move down and at the time critics fucking hated it because of it
I had a blast with this game! Visionary devs! :O

Top Bottom