• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only PlayStation gamers can play video games through streaming on Apple devices

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
So, i was watching this video

and a few interesting details grabed my attention.
With Apple refusing XCloud on iOS, the only console that allows streaming on iOS devices is PlayStation. I think that's a huge seller point vs GamePass and Sony should promote it more. What's your opinion on this, Gaf ?

Sony

Nintendo
So, i was watching this video

and a few interesting details grabed my attention.
With Apple refusing XCloud on iOS, the only console that allows streaming on iOS devices is PlayStation. I think that's a huge seller point vs GamePass and Sony should promote it more. What's your opinion on this, Gaf ?

That video is pathethic FUD clickbait. In times like this, gamers should unite against Apple's shit practices, not divide and stan based on stupid comparisons.

llien

And then people ask "what do you have against Apple", sigh.

They went after both Stadia and Microsoft's game streaming.
Because Apple's customers are Apple's property.

And, dear god, who is the cretin that created that video? Pathetic.

Last edited:
Xbox has a shitty remote play too. That video is stupid, Alot of these yotubers dont knkw shit. Evans something is another offender.

LordOfChaos

Their policies allow streaming from the consumers local computer, which they define a console as apparently. So PS4 streaming, Steam streaming etc all work fine. But where Xcloud is effectively a video stream too, they're still being dicks blocking that, they do not check every title on Netflix like they said they'd have to do here, it's running no local software apart from the controls and video stream.

I thought Xbox did have a local game stream too?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
PS Remote play is something different from PSNow or XCloud. You can make remote access to your console at home from anywhere else in the world (or just at home). PSNow and XCloud are streaming services which run in data centers.

TimFL

Yes, true, I hope they do, but they will also run into the same issue then unless they want to give Apple 30%.
This is NOT about the 30%. MS offers in-app subs for Office 365 etc, this is purely about the fact that Apple prohibits cloud game streaming apps explicitly in their developer agreement.

Their policies allow streaming from the consumers local computer, which they define a console as apparently. So PS4 streaming, Steam streaming etc all work fine. But where Xcloud is effectively a video stream too, they're still being dicks blocking that, they do not check every title on Netflix like they said they'd have to do here, it's running no local software apart from the controls and video stream.

I thought Xbox did have a local game stream too?
The clause that kills Xcloud does not apply to Netflix because Netflix doesn‘t offer interactive media (games).

Last edited:

oagboghi2

That video is pathethic FUD clickbait. In times like this, gamers should unite against Apple's shit practices, not divide and stan based on stupid comparisons.
Yeah sure buddy. Let's protest apples policy just to give a helping hand to the MS corporation 🙄

onQ123

This is stupid, Remote Play is local casting just like Apple’s Airplay. xCloud is something else entirely.

It's not just local casting you can use remote play anywhere if your connection is good enough.

The only difference is with Remote play you are playing games you own that are on your home console & instead of paying to stream games from MS servers you will be using your home console as the server.

Quasicat

I’ve used OneCast for a couple of years on iOS and it does Xbox remote play flawlessly as long as you are on the same network. I’m really not sure what the difference is for Apple between this and cloud streaming, but I really enjoy using it.

LordOfChaos

The clause that kills Xcloud does not apply to Netflix because Netflix doesn‘t offer interactive media (games).

What was Bandersnatch?

Apples argument is basically that another storefront can't lead to software on software, but xcloud does not run the games on local hardware, it's essentially a video feed.

And then people ask "what do you have against Apple", sigh.

They went after both Stadia and Microsoft's game streaming.
Because Apple's customers are Apple's property.

And, dear god, who is the cretin that created that video? Pathetic.
Don't forget Nvidia Now. Also not available on iOS.

I have always preferred iOS over Android, but this is something I'm not happy about. I fully intended to use Xcloud with my cell service. Even 3D printed a mount for my phone and Xbox controller. But now I'll probably never get to.

I’m a sheep of both ecosystems so nothing has changed for me. Just announce that Apple has bought Disney and Marvel vs Capcom 4 is PlayStation and iPhone exclusive and cross-play compatible already. Lol

WatDat

Banned
this thread and that video has to be a parody... right?

Based on about 80% of the posts on this board: I’m afraid it is not. Glad the dude took some time off from jerking off to TLOU2 to make that video though! It’s good to stay productive in these trying timez.

TimFL

What was Bandersnatch?

Apples argument is basically that another storefront can't lead to software on software, but xcloud does not run the games on local hardware, it's essentially a video feed.
One of the many hypocritical exceptions to Apples developer agreement. Netflix falls under the reader app category cause the vast majority of its content is non-interactive.

That being said, this is still about Apple having a mindboggling set of rules applied to their App Store and not about the 30%.

I‘m a HUGE Apple fan, I am fully invested in their ecosystem and I‘m for the 30% cut BUT against the house of cards rules they‘ve built for their App Store that‘s probably about to collapse.

I've used the RemotePlay app on my iPhone a few times. It worked perfectly fine, granted I was playing Persona 5 so yea. I'm assuming RemotePlay uses the same "servers" or system as PSNow? But, I couldn't really play much honestly, mostly cause the damn firewall at work was a bish!

In all honesty, do a lot of people game when they're not home? Do you guys have time to game during lunch breaks or downtime? I've personally tried with a PSVita, RemotePlay, and even a Nintendo Switch. I just don't have time to game when I'm out. I can't during lunch, i'm either eating with co-workers or eating at my desk (what lunch?!?!) After work? I go to, went when they were open, the gym. Meet up with the GF, hang out with friends/co-workers. I've never had a lot of down time, but then again I like to stay busy. I do most of my gaming at home and that's it.

Gotta put this Kevin Kenson guy on the list of "No longer credible" list cause he said something that did match up with your opinion. Dudes tech guy, I've seen him talk about both Xbox and Playstation, seem to genuinely enjoy both... but shill i guess.

Use this again? Sure, why not.
XoxsN49.jpg

SCB3

Yep and it runs like Shit over WiFi

Honestly, I've been playing a lot of PS4 games via Remote Play recently (my Wife was using the Xbox One X and TV for Apex) and over a wired connection and PS4 Pro, its runs really well, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima were fine

Over wifi it was awful though

Banned
Yep and it runs like Shit over WiFi

Honestly, I've been playing a lot of PS4 games via Remote Play recently (my Wife was using the Xbox One X and TV for Apex) and over a wired connection and PS4 Pro, its runs really well, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima were fine

Over wifi it was awful though

it's awful no matter how you use it.
100ms of additional lag is absolutely ridiculous.
and 100ms the the lowest it can go when using it in perfect conditions. it's something about their codec it seems that makes this a hard barrier that can't be crossed.

Tumle

it's awful no matter how you use it.
100ms of additional lag is absolutely ridiculous.
and 100ms the the lowest it can go when using it in perfect conditions. it's something about their codec it seems that makes this a hard barrier that can't be crossed.
Do you have any articles about this? I’m generally quite interested in how there system works😊
I have PS Now but there is definitely not a 100ms lag on that.. so I’m really interested in what’s the difference in how the streaming Works between the two ways.. is it because of The WiFi Signal?

Last edited:
Top Bottom