• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onions, garlic, ginger, and the like

Are they needed?

• Yes! All such foods; all the time!

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • Sometimes, some of them (sometimes essential).

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • Just onions.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Just garlic (you stinky fucker).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just ginger (not ginger*s*; dirty minded)

• I hate onions.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I hate garlic.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I hate ginger.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • *Other food* is necessary.

• *Other food* should never be in in anything.

• I hate all of them.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I hate food.

• Total voters

Tams

So, love all of them, especially the smell of getting onions, and add one or more of them to almost anything I cook.

But really, it's just because I was taught to do that and recipes have them in.

To be honest though, all of them are a pain to prepare. I can dice an onion pretty fast, but they're still a pain. The oddest part, is often I can't really taste them (or lack of them) unless they are still in biggish chunks and treated like any other vegetable.

Tl;dr: Do you (sometimes) feel like such ingredients are often a waste of time, energy, and money?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I love them all, I just REALLY HATE any cooking show where some bimbette says "this is a quick and easy meal!" and then proceeds to toss 5 bowls of finely minced veggies and the like into a pan like it's nothing. Bitch, that's 20 MINUTES OF PREP right there!

Keepin gthem fresh is also a pain. This is where those meal services like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron are king. You get just the 1 clove of garlic or the 2 sprigs of basil, makes it WAAAYYY easier to incorporate that kinda stuff if you don't eat it all the time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They are all good but I hate that garlic is measured in recipes as cloves of garlic when actual cloves vary in size massively and garlic has a really strong flavor that can be overpowering easily.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They're all good, but they have a place. I'm not going to thrown onions, garlic and ginger into my blueberry protein pancakes.

winjer

Gold Member
I like garlic and onions. Plenty of diches that are made much better for using either.
I don't care for ginger.

Also, garlic is very good at keeping vampires away. I never saw one, so garlic must be working very well. :messenger_beaming:

Saber

Gold Member
I aways have onions and garlics. Not that I don't like ginger, its just that they aren't as cheap as both onions and garlics and most of time I don't know how to use them properly when making dishes.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
sulfur is a macro mineral and garlic/onions/stuff from the allium family as well as cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage) are full of them. eat as much as this stuff as you want they're very healthy

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Well yeah, I mean savoury dishes, not desserts/sweet snacks.

My blueberry protein pancakes are a healthy and nutritious breakfast. Absolutely not a desert or a sweet snack. They're fuel to get swollen!

I still wouldn't put them in all savory food. None of those ingredients fit with a lamb shank roast dinner or an English Breakfast.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I can't think of a food I've not appreciated in some way. Even choking down raw kale, I'm thinking of the vitamins.

Garlic and onions are the bomb. My breath is someone else's problem.

Ginger is great for sushi and to help with stomach upset.

Fbh

I eat garlic and onions almost every day.
I'll usually start chopping onions and mincing garlic before I'm entirely sure about what I'll be cooking because they are some of the base ingredients of most of the stuff I make.

I like ginger too but that's more for specific recipes, not something you can just add to (almost) anything like garlic and onions.

simpatico

Fuck ginger, and fuck restaurants that don't disclose the presence of ginger in their ahi tuna dishes. Cast it straight into hell.

Willing to bath in garlic and onion though.

GHG

I love them all, I just REALLY HATE any cooking show where some bimbette says "this is a quick and easy meal!" and then proceeds to toss 5 bowls of finely minced veggies and the like into a pan like it's nothing. Bitch, that's 20 MINUTES OF PREP right there!

Coincidental because I'm about to cook up a storm but buy your veg pre-chopped, life's too short.

Gl8FcpX.jpg

Smiggs

Coincidental because I'm about to cook up a storm but buy your veg pre-chopped, life's too short.

Gl8FcpX.jpg
No way, get a good knife, develop some good knife skills, and cut that shit up fresh. Way cheaper, and takes very little time when you've got some experience under your belt. Then get yourself some good stones and learn to sharpen your own blades! You'll feast like royalty for the rest of your days.

Tams

No way, get a good knife, develop some good knife skills, and cut that shit up fresh. Way cheaper, and takes very little time when you've got some experience under your belt. Then get yourself some good stones and learn to sharpen your own blades! You'll feast like royalty for the rest of your days.

That reminds me, I need to look into getting a good Japanese knife. I've already got a lovely Victorinox western one, but one is never enough...

When actually in Japan, I just got overwhelmed by the choice.

I cant live without onions. Red onions can fuck off and die. Only white, yellow, or brown onions for me.

Garlic can be nice but it's far too strong and sickening so you need to use tiny amounts and at that point it doesn't make much of a difference.

Ginger.... i don't know what the fucking point of ginger is.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Not a huge fan of ginger in foods (love ginger beer though). Also not a fan of cilantro and smoked paprika

But put black pepper, garlic and onion powder (even onion salt) in lots of stuff and love fresh onion and garlic.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Do you crush your garlic before dicing/mincing?
Nah, I kinda eased into a hybrid of sorts.

I cut off that area (top?) of the clove that's got the rooty things. When I do, I'm sure to keep the clove on its flattest side. This helps to start the peel coming away from the rest of the clove. That is, for me, the most tedious part of staging garlic. Once I've done that with all my cloves (I typically use about a half a bulb for two servings of curry), peeling the rest of the skin away is usually pretty easy. You might have one or two that give you trouble, but it ain't much.

After that, I just cut the garlic into large pieces, get my fingers out of the way, and slowly mince (if you try to go to fast, the little pieces fly off the cutting board). It usually takes about three or four rounds of that. That's it. Of course, it depends on your taste, I guess. Some folks probably prefer sliced, or in larger chunks. I go for a decent mince.

JCK75

When I started dating again the first question I would ask a girl is
"the recipe calls for two cloves of garlic, how many do you use?"

if the answer was anything less than 5 I knew she was not worth my time.

Davey Cakes

Ginger is my least favorite of the three, but I still enjoy it in particular ethnic dishes.

I can have onions and garlic in ANYTHING.

Last edited:

Pigenator

I make a lot of oven roasted potatoes, green beans, chicken etc so these are all perfect choices for garlic.
I used to make onion omelettes but I can't be bothered nowadays, prefer to do it quick & dirty and just add a drop of milk to make it more fluffy.
Although I recently discovered throwing onion wrapped in tin foil to the oven for ~35min makes it really delicious, zero oil needed.

Regarding ginger... I'm not a particular fan but it is needed for a lot of asian food so it's used sometimes

Last edited:
Top Bottom