• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like a complex system for potions in games?

Do you like a complex system for potions in games?

• Potions are for wimps, just health drops.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • KISS it, just mana and health potions please. (keep it simple stupid)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I like to dabble so health, mana, other basic attributes and status effects potions are fine.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I love nothing more than an inventory filled with countless potions.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Xenon

So I am currently running through Dragon's Dogma and I'm finding the potion and it's creation system to be the most convoluted thing I've ever experienced in all my years of gaming. No only are there far too many plants and drinks that offer the same status boost. But the game's developers made some bad choices that make it even worse. Having the same graphic image for different ingredients makes going through your inventory a major pain in then ass. Then they use made up names for many of them requiring you to constantly check what they do. I get they want to offer more in the way of lore, but it's not worth the hassle it creates.

Also when you get down to it, outside of poison most status effect spells can be ignored. Mainly because vary rarely are these games balanced well enough for their effects to affect the outcome of most battles. Sure a strength potion might help you do more damage. The net result will often be a shorter fight, not a defeat. I will concede that sometimes it will, but thats the exception not the rule. Also in games like Skyrim where it's done very well, alchemy can be very fun. But it's th only game I can think of that I've enjoyed it. Still it was more about level the skill for better health, magic potions, and forging bonuses with potions for other things being limited.

Thoughts?

It really depends on the game. Breaking the game messing around with potions in Morrowind was a ton of fun. The game would've been lesser if it had a less-complex system.

But I can understand the frustration. If the breadth of potions isn't enriching the gameplay, then it does seem extraneous.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It was pretty damn cool in Kingdom Come: Deliverance where you had to follow instructions properly and grind some ingredients, boil others and combinations for a different amount of time then distill them, bottle them up and stuff. At the same time it was also cool that if your character mastered potion making he could then automatically create them from the recipes because that shit got old, haha.

As long as the game doesn't force you to become a master brewer I like such complexity, if it fits the rest of the game, I can't imagine brewing potions like that in Diablo II without raging for the stalling :p

Last edited:

Xenon

It was pretty damn cool in Kingdom Come: Deliverance where you had to follow instructions properly and boil different ingredients and combinations for a different amount of time then filter them, bottle them and stuff. At the same time it was also cool that if your character mastered potion making he could then automatically create them from the recipes because that shit got old, haha.

As long as the game doesn't force you to become a master brewer I like such complexity, if it fits the rest of the game, I can't imagine brewing potions like that in Diablo II without raging for the stalling :p

Wow that sounds interesting. I agree if there is a mechanic to it tehn it can be fun. Learning all the attributes in Skyrim is simple but fun to play around with.

Deuterion

I prefer simple potion systems where Potion A adds HP, Potion B adds Mana, Potion C does whatever else and I can either find the complete potion in the world or buy them at a store. I find that some medieval era games get carried away and stack a complex potion system on top of a complex combat system and it can be very overwhelming.

With that said I do appreciate the benefits of a complex system as it has to be pretty fun and immersive being able to find ingredients in the world and then use them to concoct new recipes. I however don’t care for it and don’t play games enough to focus on one where even the ancillary systems are complex.

I prefer when a lot of streamlined features come together to create something complex rather than a bunch of complex things coming together to create something convoluted.

Last edited:
The alchemy systems in TW2 are what turned me away at the offset.

I don’t like having to micromanage systems on the fly. I only care to when it provides a recognizable influence on gameplay mechanics.

Raven117

It was pretty damn cool in Kingdom Come: Deliverance where you had to follow instructions properly and grind some ingredients, boil others and combinations for a different amount of time then distill them, bottle them up and stuff. At the same time it was also cool that if your character mastered potion making he could then automatically create them from the recipes because that shit got old, haha.

Kingdom Come really needs a sequel. The first one had some great ideas....just needs a bit more refinement and execution.

Not really. I like to have reliable numbers in my game. I'd rather learn a better spell, find better gear or level up than collect some potions that will run out. Can't count on 'em.

epicnemesis

I broke Skyrim though enchantments and alchemy. On one hand it was cool that the game allowed it, on the other hand, two shotting a dragon really trivialized the whole game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So I am currently running through Dragon's Dogma and I'm finding the potion and it's creation system to be the most convoluted thing I've ever experienced in all my years of gaming. No only are there far too many plants and drinks that offer the same status boost. But the game's developers made some bad choices that make it even worse. Having the same graphic image for different ingredients makes going through your inventory a major pain in then ass. Then they use made up names for many of them requiring you to constantly check what they do. I get they want to offer more in the way of lore, but it's not worth the hassle it creates.

Also when you get down to it, outside of poison most status effect spells can be ignored. Mainly because vary rarely are these games balanced well enough for their effects to affect the outcome of most battles. Sure a strength potion might help you do more damage. The net result will often be a shorter fight, not a defeat. I will concede that sometimes it will, but thats the exception not the rule. Also in games like Skyrim where it's done very well, alchemy can be very fun. But it's th only game I can think of that I've enjoyed it. Still it was more about level the skill for better health, magic potions, and forging bonuses with potions for other things being limited.

Thoughts?

Health, magic, I'm good. Not interested in a million different ingredients to make a bunch of potions I won't bother with in the first place and whenever possible I'll just buy them; not interested in gathering materials and crafting if I can avoid it.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Not sure what game I played when there were wide assortments of potions and the like to use... FF Chrystal Chronicles? Lovely addition. I always like the detail that goes into them.

Top Bottom