• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once you go Oled you cant go back!

SLB1904

Banned
Man I just want to share my experience with my TVs and maybe help people save money.
I have a oled TV cx in my living room where I had my ps5 then when ps5 got the vrr update I thought getting another TV that supports vr for my gaming room i mean the difference couldn't be that big right? Wrong

So bought this monitor gigabyte aorus fv43u 43 inches which got loads of good reviews . Honestly it has everything a gaming TV/ monitor should have vrr, 4k 120hz all of that but boy the picture quality is rubbish. The cars in GT7 look like got a vaseline filter over it. Weirdly blurry. And I spend 800 quid on it. I'm not joking the difference between a VA panel and oled is miles noticeable. The games look generation apart. Honestly is damn crazy.

If you have money to buy a TV do not buy anything other than oled.

Anyway I just got a 42 inch c2 for my gaming room. I'll never touch anything else ever

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I completely agree and had a similar experience, I was curious to hook up my PS5 to a gaming monitor and sit at a desk to play , aside from it being a horrible way to play I also got a high end LG monitor 4k60hz panel with rave reviews online.

The colour depth and quality is woeful and the customisation options are so limited, not to mention you may as well not bother with HDR. My monitor cost around 800 about a year or so ago and it’s great for work but compared to the LG G2 It’s a pale experience.

reinking

Gold Member
I Think You Should Leave Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

SLB1904

Banned
It's okay. I would too.....

I will add some real conversation. I thought about OLED but after seeing OLED and Mini-LED side-by-side I am going Mini-LED. The bright's popped better on the Mini-LED and I did not notice the darks being much worse. Glad you like yours though.
I can't talk about the mini-led because obviously I never see one in person. But yeah I've heard good things about it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We have 70 inch peasant TV for the living room. I suppose one day I may try an OLED for the gaming at a smaller size some day. It was pretty noticeable on Vita so I'm sure its awesome. Just much more expensive.

SenkiDala

Waiting for all the answers saying "nah that's not true" from people who... don't own an OLED panel. "I saw one in Best Buy displaying a great DVD of sixth sense on it and oh well it wasn't that great"

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I have an ok Oled Sony, ok as in great for video but missing features for gaming. My 32:9 Qled ultra wide is almost as good but would swap it for one of them new Oled if I could.

SLB1904

Banned
We have 70 inch peasant TV for the living room. I suppose one day I may try an OLED for the gaming at a smaller size some day. It was pretty noticeable on Vita so I'm sure its awesome. Just much more expensive.
You just have to look around. You'll find great deals. I got mine fir under 850. Just be patient. I never pay full price and they come with 5 year warranty so its all good

Quick question , is the Switch Oled worth it over the original console?
I would assume so. Based on experience. But someone with one should come forward

Last edited:

Dibils2k

for HDR no doubt, but i also never owned a LED that has ridiculous amount of dimming zones (max was like 48), the effect of backlight dimming small highlights is so ugly to me so i cant see myself ever going LED in future but i do sometimes miss the brightness of LED and lack of ABL in bright games

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Premium LCDs > any OLED out there in gaming except only S95b. HDR on OLEDs sucks big time. You can’t compare a low end LCD to premium LCDs like Sony X95J, Samsung Mini LEDs and even LG newest mini leds. Gaming in OLEDs is dull with crushed blacks.
Ladies and gentleman this is what a bullshit fucking LIE looks like. HDR is not just measured in brightness nits. Contrast and perceived brightness play a better role in making HDR pop.

There is a reason that OLED was frequently picked in blind tests as being brighter than LCD.

SLB1904

Banned
Premium LCDs > any OLED out there in gaming except only S95b. HDR on OLEDs sucks big time. You can’t compare a low end LCD to premium LCDs like Sony X95J, Samsung Mini LEDs and even LG newest mini leds. Gaming in OLEDs is dull with crushed blacks.
I had I different experience honestly. I was kinda depressed because I didn't want to put back my ps5 in the living room. The colours and materials just pop on a oled. It's insane. The red are fucking reds. The lcd panel has the grey look to it. Make the blacks look washed

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
for HDR no doubt, but i also never owned a LED that has ridiculous amount of dimming zones (max was like 48), the effect of backlight dimming small highlights is so ugly to me so i cant see myself ever going LED in future but i do sometimes miss the brightness of LED and lack of ABL in bright games
Yeah, i find the halos of local dimming to be far more distracting than elavated blacks that are at least consistent.

hemo memo

Gold Member
My iPhone 11 is LCD. My TV is LED. My package of Switch OLED is coming so I will judge how “good” this OLED talk is.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Perfectly happy with my 4k Panny VA pannel. The balcks are surprisingly good on it. And i dont have visual OCD with it.

DJTaurus

Ladies and gentleman this is what a bullshit fucking LIE looks like. HDR is not just measured in brightness nits. Contrast and perceived brightness play a better role in making HDR pop.
There is a reason that OLED was frequently picked in blind tests as being brighter than LCD.
Ladies a gentleman this is a typical post from an OLED fanboy that doesn’t care about reality but only judges sth from what reviewers perceive "as universal accurate"….. which means nothing.

My experience with LG CX:

It was definitely better outside gaming compared to any premium LCD i ve ever owned. But on gaming the image was sooo dull, in most games i didn’t have clear/sharp image like on LCDs (I was even questioned my self if i have myopia and do a checkup), black crash on areas with low light and colors on daytime scenes DIDNT have pop. Then i found some other users complaining about that on Reddit cause it drive me crazy…. I was so unimpressed and felt crazy when every YouTuber out there was pushing CX as the best Tv for gaming. I even tried gaming in total black room with no different results. My main issue wasn’t HDR gaming which felt to not have spread. I didn’t know why and still don’t know why the gaming picture was not clear like when gaming on LCDs. I played with sharpness with no result. At the end of the day who cares about gaming features of LG Oleds when the PQ in gaming sucked. This year i was thinking to give OLED a second chance this time with A80J but i hope someday the price of it to reduced at C1 levels. Otherwise i ll go with my safe bet which is X90J or X95J. Also i ve realised that most OLED users came from Plasma TVs…..

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I'm good with my LED X90J. Picture quality is gorgeous for me, plus they resolved all the issues the TV had when you turned VRR on.

Initially if you activated VRR local dimming would be automatically turned off. But with the last firmware, problem solved.

In the end, happy Sony owner here.

Last edited:

Fbh

Love my C1 but I still think people overhype them a bit.

In the absolute ideal condition: in a dark room watching a scene that fully takes advantage of the true blacks, there's nothing quite like it.

But in regular use (a mix of day and night use and a mix of bright and dark scenes) I think a high end QLED like the QN90A is just as good.

Haggard

Banned
You wont belive how much mini led with 1400 nits brightness is better than oled
I saw two in person and i can say omg what a difference (pg32uqx mini led monitor )
For daylight viewing, sure. For home-theater conditions nothing comes close to OLED.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have an X90J in the living room and a c1 48” for my gaming monitor. X90J is good but I strongly prefer the C1 for gaming, especially in a dark room. The deep blacks and contrast are so much better than any LCD I’ve seen.

That said the C1’s brightness limiting is disappointing. X90J beats it in very brightly lit scenes.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Both my iPhone 12 pro and oled switch look amazing no matter what I watch on them. However, I hear that oled TVs are different in these areas:

1. The screen dimming any time something bright takes up most of the screen.
2. The motion looking choppy when playing 30fps games or movies where the camera pans from side to side. (How does anime look on oled TVs?)
3. The picture being dim if you play in a bright room?

Why do oled TVs have these differences from other oled screens?

Pedro Motta

Both my iPhone 12 pro and oled switch look amazing no matter what I watch on them. However, I hear that oled TVs are different in these areas:

1. The screen dimming any time something bright takes up most of the screen.
2. The motion looking choppy when playing 30fps games or movies where the camera pans from side to side. (How does anime look on oled TVs?)
3. The picture being dim if you play in a bright room?

Why do oled TVs have these differences from other oled screens?
Heat generation and dissipation. Also burn in, but everything is correlated really.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Love my C1 but I still think people overhype them a bit.

In the absolute ideal condition: in a dark room watching a scene that fully takes advantage of the true blacks, there's nothing quite like it.

But in regular use (a mix of day and night use and a mix of bright and dark scenes) I think a high end QLED like the QN90A is just as good.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I love my CX, but my place gets tons of natural light coming in and it's not ideal experience during the day. It was a fine trade-off for me as I do 95% of my TV/gaming during night hours. Another knock against it is how 30fps games look unbearably juddery. I never had an issue playing games at 30fps prior to owning and OLED. For those who are in the market and consider these two limitations to be dealbreakers, I would highly recommend the Samsung Q90T. Brightness is great of course, but black levels are also very respectable. That would have been my choice had I not gone with OLED.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yep. It makes games look a generation better than they do on other lesser TVs. If you’re not investing in your image quality you haven’t entered next gen yet.

Games like TLOU Part 1 and Horizon Forbidden West look absolutely fucking ridiculous on a proper OLED screen.

And I recently been going outside the norm and playing in a customly calibrated Filmmaker mode instead of game mode. Shit looks even better now

I play literally everything at 30fps and I have no idea what y’all are talking about when it comes to being juddery. Everything is smooth as hell

Last edited:

MikeM

Once you go true black you never go back.
I had a Panasonic VT50 plasma (true blacks), then went to a X900H, then to a LG C1. I do have to say that LED panel displays have come a long way. They aren’t garbage level blacks so long as you spend the $$$.

VRR tho on LED is laughable (at least on my X900H) and is the main reason why I jumped to a LG C1.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ladies a gentleman this is a typical post from an OLED fanboy that doesn’t care about reality but only judges sth from what reviewers perceive "as universal accurate"….. which means nothing.

My experience with LG CX:

It was definitely better outside gaming compared to any premium LCD i ve ever owned. But on gaming the image was sooo dull, in most games i didn’t have clear/sharp image like on LCDs (I was even questioned my self if i have myopia and do a checkup), black crash on areas with low light and colors on daytime scenes DIDNT have pop. Then i found some other users complaining about that on Reddit cause it drive me crazy…. I was so unimpressed and felt crazy when every YouTuber out there was pushing CX as the best Tv for gaming. I even tried gaming in total black room with no different results. My main issue wasn’t HDR gaming which felt to not have spread. I didn’t know why and still don’t know why the gaming picture was not clear like when gaming on LCDs. I played with sharpness with no result. At the end of the day who cares about gaming features of LG Oleds when the PQ in gaming sucked. This year i was thinking to give OLED a second chance this time with A80J but i hope someday the price of it to reduced at C1 levels. Otherwise i ll go with my safe bet which is X90J or X95J. Also i ve realised that most OLED users came from Plasma TVs…..

Cool you found a couple of reddit forums saying something negative. Wow. Nobody ever says anything negative! This is very clearly EVERYBODY's experience.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom