• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once you go Oled you cant go back!

Ceadeus

Depends, do you play handheld mode a lot?

If so, yes it is worth it. Outside of the gorgeous screen It has a better battery life as well.
Yeah pretty often, I might bite but I'm scared Nintendo announce a new switch soon like in a year or so

kevm3

OLED is where all the plasma fanboys went and now we get to hear nonstop hyperbole about how OLED now completely blows everything else out of the water, when in reality, if you compare the same models of the different technologies, they will all look great but have different advantages inherent to the technology. I have a q9fn which is a few years old, but have zero desire to change tvs at the moment. Excellent picture quality. The blacks aren't OLED quality, but that is made up with bright scene performance and not having to worry about burn-in.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
worry about burn-in.

laughing-lol.gif

wvnative

Once my E7 got major burn in, I actually did go back LED with my X95J.

So technically not true. But I don't blame anyone for not willing to go back, picture quality is unmatched, but I personally needed peace of mind.

clarky

Gold Member
Oled phone, switch, razer blade and 2 lg's.

Never going back and until some new tech arrives im not buying anything else.

Never had any issues with burn in, thought the laptop but might suffer but still looks great 3 years in after heavy use.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Yeah pretty often, I might bite but I'm scared Nintendo announce a new switch soon like in a year or so
I honestly expect Nintendo to launch/anchor the Next Switch with the upcoming Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom title...but I could be wrong

That's in 8 months time. If you want to wait that long that's up to you.

Woody337

OLED is where all the plasma fanboys went and now we get to hear nonstop hyperbole about how OLED now completely blows everything else out of the water, when in reality, if you compare the same models of the different technologies, they will all look great but have different advantages inherent to the technology. I have a q9fn which is a few years old, but have zero desire to change tvs at the moment. Excellent picture quality. The blacks aren't OLED quality, but that is made up with bright scene performance and not having to worry about burn-in.
I'll take my FALD sony lcd over an oled any day due to burn in. I have no doubt that OLED has great IQ but the burn in is a no go for me

SLB1904

Banned
Because of the blacks?
Blacks, reds yellow. Pretty much every vivid colour. The picture quality is so good the every high definition picture looks like its popping out.

I'll take my FALD sony lcd over an oled any day due to burn in. I have no doubt that OLED has great IQ but the burn in is a no go for me

Burn in isn't a thing anymore. And like I said the lgs come with 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

Woody337

Blacks, reds yellow. Pretty much every vivid colour. The picture quality is so good the every high definition picture looks like its popping out.

Burn in isn't a thing anymore. And like I said the lgs come with 5 year warranty.
Ok lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you're comparing it to one with without a full array sure
But a premium LED with full array?
They both have their strengths

Depends, do you play handheld mode a lot?

If so, yes it is worth it. Outside of the gorgeous screen It has a better battery life as well.

Yeah definitely. I own the launch model and the OLED switch and they play games exactly the same. Since I like playing games in bed it was worth the upgrade. However someone that only uses it with a TV might be better off with the original model. However there isn't a huge price difference between the two so I recommend picking up the OLED for the best experience.

jm89

If your also using it as a regular monitor, oleds is a tough choice cause they are too big, smallest I could find was 42 inch.

Picture quality is definitely the biggest issue I found with gaming monitors, I don't think there is a single one I've owned that I was happy with.

Kilau

It’s uneven wear. Can’t get around the limitation of the technology but it can be mitigated to some degree. OLEDs will get dimmer over time but no TV is perfect or lasts forever so it’s great to find one you enjoy.

SLB1904

Banned
It’s uneven wear. Can’t get around the limitation of the technology but it can be mitigated to some degree. OLEDs will get dimmer over time but no TV is perfect or lasts forever so it’s great to find one you enjoy.
Yeah but if you are using just gaming. It will last forever. Rtings tested this new panel. They left it on for a year with no problems of burn in. So yeah fear mongering burn in is not a thing anymore

OLED is easily the best TV tech you can buy today. Burn in is possible but it's rare unless you go out of your way to try make it happen.

I have two LG OLED tvs. been using one for over 2 years now and looks just as good as it did out the box. The other TV has had more use despite not having it as long. I've had it left on news channels for hours and news channels are the worst thing to watch on an OLED due to the amount of static elements on the screen. Still no burn in. My phones have been OLED for years and my Switch is the OLED model. Yet to see any burn in.

I'll keep buying OLED until Micro LED is available for a sane price and if it actually turns out any good. Mini LED is trash but Micro LED is promising.
it's true they will get dimmer but it's pretty much negligible in real world use. RTings ran a bunch of OLEDs over 5 years (almost 10,500 hours) and you can see how brightness changed:

real-burn-in-hdr-100-large.jpg

and the color gamut hardly changed

real-burn-in-color-gamut-large.jpg

Reactions: TLZ

sigmaZ

As good as they look, I still find that I prioritize my ultrawide monitor for gaming more. I might get an utlrawide OLED in the future.

Issa fact. You wouldn't know if you dont got it. I had a Samsung QLED and that shit was crazy good... until I got the C1, now the QLED is blurry as hell for some reason.

SLB1904

Banned
This isnt helping disprove burn in at all
Dude. The lcd also show failure. These are extremes test. 20 h a day with static logos. And this video is from 3 and 4 year old models. This isn't by any stretch of imagination a normal use. Unless you watch cnn 20h a day then oled isn't for you. Also he mentions at the end of the video tgat the new models should be better. Come on

ParaSeoul

I have an LG C6 from 2016 I think and have a lot of burn in from YouTube logo and search icon etc.

I think the newer models are much better with burn in, but to say the older OLEDs didn't have any is not right.
The only models with a high burn rate are the C/B6 and the C/B7. Those are the models you'll always see used for the burn in scares.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Whitecrow

Banned
Love my C1 but I still think people overhype them a bit.

In the absolute ideal condition: in a dark room watching a scene that fully takes advantage of the true blacks, there's nothing quite like it.

But in regular use (a mix of day and night use and a mix of bright and dark scenes) I think a high end QLED like the QN90A is just as good.
This right there.

Unless you are in a totally dark room, the different between perfect blacks and LCD blacks are minimal, but in the LCD you get much brighter image and pop in HDR.

Knightime_X

I have a samsung qn90a neo qled tv.
The blacks are soo dark that i sometimes accidentally turn the tv off thinking that i actually turned it off when i didn't.

I can't tell the difference from my tv to my buddies oled.
Other than mine is better in a bright room.

Kilau

Yeah but if you are using just gaming. It will last forever. Rtings tested this new panel. They left it on for a year with no problems of burn in. So yeah fear mongering burn in is not a thing anymore
Nothing lasts forever and I’m not arguing burn in.

OLED is easily the best TV tech you can buy today. Burn in is possible but it's rare unless you go out of your way to try make it happen.

I have two LG OLED tvs. been using one for over 2 years now and looks just as good as it did out the box. The other TV has had more use despite not having it as long. I've had it left on news channels for hours and news channels are the worst thing to watch on an OLED due to the amount of static elements on the screen. Still no burn in. My phones have been OLED for years and my Switch is the OLED model. Yet to see any burn in.

I'll keep buying OLED until Micro LED is available for a sane price and if it actually turns out any good. Mini LED is trash but Micro LED is promising.

it's true they will get dimmer but it's pretty much negligible in real world use. RTings ran a bunch of OLEDs over 5 years (almost 10,500 hours) and you can see how brightness changed:

real-burn-in-hdr-100-large.jpg

and the color gamut hardly changed

real-burn-in-color-gamut-large.jpg
It’s the uneven dimming of the individual pixels that I’m talking about, overall nobody would notice.

To bring a real downside of OLED into discussion (burn-in is FUD), 30 fps gaming is kinda bad on it. Looks particularly blurry when panning the camera, definitely blurrier than on a non-OLED TV.

Idk I have a C1 and a Switch Oled, it is a difference but I also got a steam Deck yesterday and the screen isn't bad. To me this isn't like the upgrade from SDtv to HDtv.

TLZ

Banned
Look at here another beauty. Any oled elitist would tell that this looks over saturated….. well you know that’s how games supposed to look. But when you are used to oled dullness with all curtains closed what would you expect…

What the shit are you talking about? What OLED dullness?

Last edited:
This is true, though I feel like OLED is on its last legs as it stands today.

QD-OLED and MicroLED are almost certainly going to supplant it as the standard for premium TVs.

Tomcat

I have a samsung qn90a neo qled tv.
The blacks are soo dark that i sometimes accidentally turn the tv off thinking that i actually turned it off when i didn't.

I can't tell the difference from my tv to my buddies oled.
Other than mine is better in a bright room.
I have a qn95a and the blacks are OLED quality. No tv is perfect so u lose some u gain some. I chose the qn95a because the blacks are great enough the brightness is amazing and I won't ever bother for stuff like asbl image retention or burn in.

Buggy Loop

Still haven't felt the need to upgrade my Pioneer Kuro honestly, especially when i hear about the motion quality.

I basically stripped down my whole basement to redo it 100% and i'm now planning a home theater with projector. I thought for a minute about OLED 75 or 85" and i decided to go with a projector. Room will be 10'x18'. 120" 16:9 projector screen will roughly be WALL TO WALL. So then the LCR speakers will be in-wall in a baffle and the screen will be acoustically transparent.

That's ultimately why i decided to go with a projector, to have a screen be as big as possible in a room WITH speakers, i wouldn't be able to do it with OLED even if 85" to 120" upgrade path would exist some day, the speakers would be in the way as they could not be behind it. Also, 120" 6,153 in^2 while 85" is 3,087 in^2, it's DOUBLE viewing area.

So i'm going for immersion with the idea that projectors will also only get better with lasers. Screen will max out room capacity for the remaining time i live in this house.

Kind of basing my build around something similar to that room. Won't be a 2.35:1 screen though as well, for a 10' room, might as well max out 16:9 width, and when it goes to 2.35:1, just slide some velvet panels automatically to adjust to ratio, but the max width is true for both 16:9 or 2.35:1.

Linus' Epson LS12000 is pretty much what i aim for or better by the time i'm ready to equip the room

Looks insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom