• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once you go Oled you cant go back!

despite being an OLED whore i don't mind using non OLED devices. my monitor isn't OLED and my iPad isn't either. I use them no problem. Would an OLED be nice yeah sure but whatever. If I want the best image quality I'll watch something on my TV. The only issue with my monitor/iPad is that there is no local dimming which results in a sort of washed out look when you have dark scenes.

Banjo64

cumsessed
despite being an OLED whore i don't mind using non OLED devices. my monitor isn't OLED and my iPad isn't either. I use them no problem. Would an OLED be nice yeah sure but whatever. If I want the best image quality I'll watch something on my TV. The only issue with my monitor/iPad is that there is no local dimming which results in a sort of washed out look when you have dark scenes.
Same. I think Oled on the Nintendo’s next handheld is absolutely necessary.

However my IPS monitor is absolutely fantastic, one of the best screens I’ve ever seen.

TV wise we get a lot of VA panels for their stronger blacks, however it results in a dingier picture overall. That’s why OLED TVs looks so much better than standard VA TVs.

Sleepwalker

Man I just want to share my experience with my TVs and maybe help people save money.
I have a oled TV cx in my living room where I had my ps5 then when ps5 got the vrr update I thought getting another TV that supports vr for my gaming room i mean the difference couldn't be that big right? Wrong

So bought this monitor gigabyte aorus fv43u 43 inches which got loads of good reviews . Honestly it has everything a gaming TV/ monitor should have vrr, 4k 120hz all of that but boy the picture quality is rubbish. The cars in GT7 look like got a vaseline filter over it. Weirdly blurry. And I spend 800 quid on it. I'm not joking the difference between a VA panel and oled is miles noticeable. The games look generation apart. Honestly is damn crazy.

If you have money to buy a TV do not buy anything other than oled.

Anyway I just got a 42 inch c2 for my gaming room. I'll never touch anything else ever

I saw that particular monitor at a store when shopping for one, it was nice but the picture quality wasn't that great imo, so I ended up getting its big brother the fo48u, which is OLED. couldn't be happier.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

digdug2

I have an older OLED from 2017, it's an LG 65" E7. That thing has Rocket League burn-in like crazy. When certain colors show up on the screen, you can see the 'ball cam', 'boost', and 'score' displays very easily. Usually during very red-heavy stuff is on screen. However, I've had the C1 for about a year now and haven't seen any burn in.

Chiggs

I own 4 OLEDs of varying size, including the S95B and A90j. They’re wonderful.

But I’ve found Samsung’s miniLED tech to be quite good, too.

Last edited:
In big tvs 55 , 65+ once u go oled u can never go back. fald , even new tcl mini led tvs are dogshit once they go head to head with an oled .

G-Bus

Banned
Yea.

Went from a 10+ year old 45" LCD to a 55" c1. Wife actually complained the picture was too good. I still don't understand what she was on about.

Only regret is not getting the 65". Too big for my old place but the new house has more than enough room. Didn't think we would move so soon.

Godfavor

A lot mini LEDs have better brightness and the blacks rival the oleds due to local dimming but gaming sucks on them as they introduce lag (or bad handling of the dimming zones) when you have local dimming enabled so you just have to turn it off, but then the contrast becomes like a VA panel and the colors are washed out. Not to mention motion handling which is crap compared to oleds.

FeldMonster

I am always deeply disappointed in the LG B7 at my parents house. Always looks so flat and washed out, even compared to my older Samsung LEDs. No matter what settings I try, I cannot get it to improve. Perhaps O.L.E.D.s have improved in the past few years, but I am far from impressed.

My next TV will definitely be a Samsung Neo QLED.

Batiman

Banned
I have an older OLED from 2017, it's an LG 65" E7. That thing has Rocket League burn-in like crazy. When certain colors show up on the screen, you can see the 'ball cam', 'boost', and 'score' displays very easily. Usually during very red-heavy stuff is on screen. However, I've had the C1 for about a year now and haven't seen any burn in.
How is the C1 for gaming? Looking at getting one soon for my XSX but not sure if should go for a c2 instead. I heard the difference is minimal considering the price difference.

Man I just want to share my experience with my TVs and maybe help people save money.
I have a oled TV cx in my living room where I had my ps5 then when ps5 got the vrr update I thought getting another TV that supports vr for my gaming room i mean the difference couldn't be that big right? Wrong

So bought this monitor gigabyte aorus fv43u 43 inches which got loads of good reviews . Honestly it has everything a gaming TV/ monitor should have vrr, 4k 120hz all of that but boy the picture quality is rubbish. The cars in GT7 look like got a vaseline filter over it. Weirdly blurry. And I spend 800 quid on it. I'm not joking the difference between a VA panel and oled is miles noticeable. The games look generation apart. Honestly is damn crazy.

Anyway I just got a 42 inch c2 for my gaming room. I'll never touch anything else ever
100% agree…83 inch C1 here

Pimpbaa

My LG CX has been ridiculous better than any lcd device in my house. But I haven’t seen recent LCDs with a lot of dimming zones plus my opinion of my CX may change if I got noticeable burn a few years down the line. I wish they were making more progress on smaller and cheaper micro LED TVs, maybe something just as good will be out by the time I need a new TV.

Jackgamer XXXX

Neo Member
Ladies a gentleman this is a typical post from an OLED fanboy that doesn’t care about reality but only judges sth from what reviewers perceive "as universal accurate"….. which means nothing.

My experience with LG CX:

It was definitely better outside gaming compared to any premium LCD i ve ever owned. But on gaming the image was sooo dull, in most games i didn’t have clear/sharp image like on LCDs (I was even questioned my self if i have myopia and do a checkup), black crash on areas with low light and colors on daytime scenes DIDNT have pop. Then i found some other users complaining about that on Reddit cause it drive me crazy…. I was so unimpressed and felt crazy when every YouTuber out there was pushing CX as the best Tv for gaming. I even tried gaming in total black room with no different results. My main issue wasn’t HDR gaming which felt to not have spread. I didn’t know why and still don’t know why the gaming picture was not clear like when gaming on LCDs. I played with sharpness with no result. At the end of the day who cares about gaming features of LG Oleds when the PQ in gaming sucked. This year i was thinking to give OLED a second chance this time with A80J but i hope someday the price of it to reduced at C1 levels. Otherwise i ll go with my safe bet which is X90J or X95J. Also i ve realised that most OLED users came from Plasma TVs…..

Remember OLEDs are meant to be used in a dark room.

If you play alot during the daytime or in a brightly lit room, than an LED display is better.

In a dark room the true blacks of OLED becomes very important.

If my OLED CX was any brighter than it would be too much.

Jackgamer XXXX

Neo Member
Another advantage that OLED has for gaming is instant pixel responstime.

Playing at 100-120 fps is just so smooth and sharp on an OLED compared to LCDs with very slow pixel responstime that leads to loss of detail and motionblur.

Jackgamer XXXX

Neo Member
Eh i dunno, that HDR performance is still lacking + 30 fps feels like 10 fps.

Source: I have a CX.

Yes, 30 fps isnt good on an OLED due to Its instant pixel responstime.

But 80 to 120 fps looks much better (smoother/sharper) on an OLED than on an LCD. LCDs have very slow pixel responstime, and with higher fps there simply is to much motionblur and loss of detail in motion.

I have a CX OLED and a highend PC, so I dont play at 30 fps.

Last edited:

Puscifer

My LG CX has been ridiculous better than any lcd device in my house. But I haven’t seen recent LCDs with a lot of dimming zones plus my opinion of my CX may change if I got noticeable burn a few years down the line. I wish they were making more progress on smaller and cheaper micro LED TVs, maybe something just as good will be out by the time I need a new TV.
Ratings did a six month burn in test looping a CCN broadcast 24/7, what retention/burn in was there cleared itself after a power cycle.

Unless you get a bad panel I wouldn't worry about it, OLED of today isn't the OLED of yesteryear. Plus, Christ, people will use their phones 10 hours a day for years and don't get burn in or retention but suddenly a TV with a much higher quality panel is of concern 😂

Not blaming you of course, I'm just saying that the fear of burn in is overrated at this point.

Last edited:
I still think my mid-tier 2016 Samsung looks good so I say whatever. I recently bought a fancy new TV but returned it. It seemed great at first but the I forgot all about it quickly, the honeymoon phase was really short for me. Now I plan on using this antique until it dies.

Ryu Kaiba

Ladies a gentleman this is a typical post from an OLED fanboy that doesn’t care about reality but only judges sth from what reviewers perceive "as universal accurate"….. which means nothing.

My experience with LG CX:

It was definitely better outside gaming compared to any premium LCD i ve ever owned. But on gaming the image was sooo dull, in most games i didn’t have clear/sharp image like on LCDs (I was even questioned my self if i have myopia and do a checkup), black crash on areas with low light and colors on daytime scenes DIDNT have pop. Then i found some other users complaining about that on Reddit cause it drive me crazy…. I was so unimpressed and felt crazy when every YouTuber out there was pushing CX as the best Tv for gaming. I even tried gaming in total black room with no different results. My main issue wasn’t HDR gaming which felt to not have spread. I didn’t know why and still don’t know why the gaming picture was not clear like when gaming on LCDs. I played with sharpness with no result. At the end of the day who cares about gaming features of LG Oleds when the PQ in gaming sucked. This year i was thinking to give OLED a second chance this time with A80J but i hope someday the price of it to reduced at C1 levels. Otherwise i ll go with my safe bet which is X90J or X95J. Also i ve realised that most OLED users came from Plasma TVs…..

I never understood the brightness complaint.

I guess if your Tv is in an already very bright room? I far more often find myself turning brightness down then up.

Like are people trying to be blinded by their tv's?

CJ_75

I bought the Sony 65A95K, a QD-OLED panel, which is brighter than my previous OLED tv. I am really loving this tv, glad I didn't get the S95B which was way cheaper and had better gaming options (4x HDMI 2.1, GameBar, etc).
I recently saw the Hisense Mini-Led tv and I was completely blown away. The brightness is insane, both in SDR and HDR. I switch from tv every 4-5 years, not so sure if I will go OLED next time.
I hope MicroLED is widely available by then and that I don't have to sell my kidney to afford one.

Last edited:

kikkis

My parents have talked about a bigger TV to their new apartment. I got offer for 65 Inch c1 for 600 euros. 4000 hours of use. What do you guys think?

Someday I want an OLED. To be totally fair though OP, any high end LED, and not just OLED tv's, is going to blow away a monitor. With the increased number of dimming zones and improved local dimming algorithms combined with the raw brightness of LED tv's, they're coming closer and closer to OLEDs. Just need to make sure it has freesync/variable refresh and HDMI 2.1. There are trade-offs to be sure, but coming from someone who had a plasma and never ever wanted to touch LED, I'm quite pleased with my 2018 TCL 6 series (and that's not even close to the LED tvs out now).
I never understood the brightness complaint.

I guess if your Tv is in an already very bright room? I far more often find myself turning brightness down then up.

Like are people trying to be blinded by their tv's?
I'm sensitive to brightness, but one benefit of having a tv that is naturally brighter is that you can turn down the brightness settings but still have boosted highlights while keeping the inky blacks, at least for LED's. Not so much a problem with OLEDs. I would prefer an OLED myself if I had the money. The QD-OLEDs from Sony and Samsung look amazing.

TrebleShot

All the issues with brightness instantly dissipate if you get the G2 which uses the frame of the TV as a heat sink to get 1000nits and of course looks absolutely incredible for it.

ShakenG

Got a X90H shortly after launch and love it, first HDR display ive owned. Be a while before we get a new tv but definitely looking at a OLED next.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
They're close enough.
How black do you need it?
I can't even tell the difference from the jetblack outer bezel to the screen.
"Turning the light off" is no feat... In high contrast scenarios the mini led still bleeds light like all LCDs always will . The starry sky comparison is the most obvious one as usual.

Last edited:

digdug2

How is the C1 for gaming? Looking at getting one soon for my XSX but not sure if should go for a c2 instead. I heard the difference is minimal considering the price difference.
As stated by JohnnyFootball, the difference between the C1 and C2 is minimal, but I would definitely go for one of the two for your XSX. Anecdote time! I have my XSX hooked up to the C1 and have VRR turned on. My wife has an XSS hooked up to a Samsung TU8079, which doesn't have VRR. We both played through Elden Ring, and on the C1 it was pretty much buttery smooth (98% of the time), whereas on the Samsung TV, it looked like absolute dogshit. The frame rate bounced around like crazy, which I found super distracting.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Wait what? The CX doesn't support VRR?
I thought this was only a problem until the C9.

As for the rest, perhaps some people here should have researched their TV's brightness levels compared to QLED before pulling the trigger on a >$1500 OLED.

Regardless, up to the LG CX there was no good alternative for HDR in games because Samsung' and TCL's QLEDs at the time had ao much latency in the light panels that you might has well be playing on SDR instead.
Yes, QLEDs had much higher brightness at the time, but they weren't good for games.
I do hear they're substantially better now, though.

Nice, my dad wants to buy an LG OLED65A 19LA UHD 4K, i hope this TV will be good.
The A series is pretty bad and only good for watching movies in a low-lit room. Their brightness is not good and it doesn't have a 120Hz panel, let alone HDMI 2.1.

You're better off going with a mini-LED FALD LCD with HDMI2.1 in my opinion.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I went back. And just like that, I went back to watching TV, movies and games instead of endlessly suffering the unescapable stuttering of OLED.

OLED necessitates frame interpolation for video, and high framerate for games. Otherwise, it’s a slideshow, and there’s no perfect blacks or infinite contrast that can make up for that.
Sure, low framerate stuff hiccups on LED too, but in a way that’s different enough for me to actually want to sit down in front of my TV and use it, instead of dreading to turn it on.

OLED is for those who never, ever go below 60fps. It’s not the perfect TV for all uses.

digdug2

I went back. And just like that, I went back to watching TV, movies and games instead of endlessly suffering the unescapable stuttering of OLED.

OLED necessitates frame interpolation for video, and high framerate for games. Otherwise, it’s a slideshow, and there’s no perfect blacks or infinite contrast that can make up for that.
Sure, low framerate stuff hiccups on LED too, but in a way that’s different enough for me to actually want to sit down in front of my TV and use it, instead of dreading to turn it on.

OLED is for those who never, ever go below 60fps. It’s not the perfect TV for all uses.
Maybe my eyes are bad (I have 20/20 vision), but I haven't noticed any stuttering on my LG C1 or E7 when watching TV and movies. I have TruMotion turned off, because that's the only time I noticed any stuttering or judder.

Now go for a Sony oled, it’s even slightly better 😁 (if you’re willing to pay the price). Congrats though, oled is far superior from anything else available at the moment 👍

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
IMO. It’s rather simple. If you consume media and play games at night or in a dark room get an OLED or derivative tech. Play / watch most in daylight (how do you find the time to do that?) get an LED/LCD. That’s it.

HDR presentation on an OLED in a dark room > HDR on any LCD in a bright room.

Just choose according to your usecase. That is until Mini LED comes out in 10-15years as it’s the best of booth worlds and true endgame tech. After that VR or implants are what’s next.

I play and watch almost exclusively at night so I’m really happy with my A90J.

I have a C7 that I love but really wanted something with 4k/120hz and VRR. Reviews for the Hisense U8H mini-led were good and I jumped on it when it was $650 on amazon. After using it for a couple weeks I decided to hook the PS5 up to the C7 again to compare, expecting to be let down by the "dim" HDR. I was wrong, the C7 has so much more contrast and depth. I ended up returning the Hisense and picked up a 42" LG C2.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Desktop OLED is the way to go. Sony a90k 42"
aRWHnAE.jpg
Sony got 42 incher too now ?!
NICE. I am starting to think about upgrade of my lg c1 48".... but is 42" really an upgrade... hmmm
Also, that tv seems a bit low but that stand looks nice.

Camreezie

Does the OLED model have any perks when in docked mode at all? Might get one as my day one switch is getting loud when turning on now

Top Bottom