• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMGRD T2 is just a flawless film

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watching T2 with the family and haven't seen it in probably 15+ years but GODDAMN is it a near flawless film! Everything from the effects to the side characters is just spectacular.

I pity you fools who were not of age to see this in the theater in 1991 or whatever :p
I never saw it in the theatre. Saw it on home video. Awesome movie. Then in one of the DVD editions with deleted scenes, the part T1000 is damaged at the end of the film was even better.

JonSnowball

Man, this is James Cameron's year. They're re-releasing his classics on blu-ray UHD 4k.

Just recently watched the Abyss and T2.

It's amazing how his movies look like they could be new theater releases.
The 4K releases look like ass. The colour in T2 is wrong, and it's been completely scrubbed of grain and has terrible CG work done to cover up the stuntmens faces.

Aliens, The Abyss, and True Lies were all molested with crap tier AI upscaling on UHD/4K too. Quite frankly they're a spit in the face to anyone who cares about the quality of what they're watching.

Wax Arnold haunts my fucking dreams.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The 4K releases look like ass. The colour in T2 is wrong, and it's been completely scrubbed of grain and has terrible CG work done to cover up the stuntmens faces.

Aliens, The Abyss, and True Lies were all molested with crap tier AI upscaling on UHD/4K too. Quite frankly they're a spit in the face to anyone who cares about the quality of what they're watching.

I was thinking about buying the 4k version of Abyss and TL, but after reading about these issues I might pass. People brought up these issues on gaf way back in the older thread about these flicks.

James Cameron is supposed to a master at this kind of shit where you'd hear about it taking a long to do because he wanted to make it perfect, yet why would he allow these classics get murdered by faked in and smoothed in effects? Weird.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
James Cameron is supposed to a master at this kind of shit where you'd hear about it taking a long to do because he wanted to make it perfect, yet why would he allow these classics get murdered by faked in and smoothed in effects? Weird.

My guess is that he's bogged down by other projects. That's me being charitable and trying to drown out the cynical cash grab thoughts in my logic chip.

Puscifer

Such a shame that Cameron has fucked with every single version of the home release so far! Thank God for the crazy lad who scanned a 35mm film print at 4K and uploaded it to the Internet a few years ago.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He hates grain, but even a beautiful girl can fuck up her face in the crusade to be more attractive
And in their heads they are, but we all know they should have left it alone because they was better before.
To my knowledge Aliens, The Abyss and Titanic are okay and are still the best way to watch them
But True Lies is fucked

reezoo

Watching T2 with the family and haven't seen it in probably 15+ years but GODDAMN is it a near flawless film! Everything from the effects to the side characters is just spectacular.

I pity you fools who were not of age to see this in the theater in 1991 or whatever :p
Yes, yes and yes. I have watched it 38 times till now.

Soltype

I can't believe someone saw this and said it was good. This is nuts.

belmarduk

The first one too! I love those movies so much!

It never hit me as hard as the first one. It started off very promising with the bar and mall. However, it peaked inside the mental institution. I could handle some of the cheese of John training his new robot pal but the police shootout is where it jumped the shark. The cops were there way too quick and in absurd numbers. The smug minigun segment made it even worse. It made Die Hard look like a reenactment. The final foundry scene pulled a lot of nonsense with that fantastical new power supply reboot and shotgun peppering. The thumbs up smelting finale was also incredibly lame to me. It was entertaining overall, but it just did not come together like the first film.

P.S. I am stunned to hear praises of The Abyss. It is a perfect example of style over substance.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Oh yeah, I still very much remember sitting in that theater opening weekend with my friends, just so fucking excited, and it totally delivered.

That theater doesnt even exist anymore. Time gradually destroys everything.

Last edited:
People like to talk shit about James Cameron's dialogue writing and his stories and shit but quietly everyone knows that pretty no one can measure up to that man's sheer ability to succeed at making amazing movies

Since it came out so early in the decade, T2 more or less defined the entire 1990's in terms of action movies. Everybody was laboring in that movie's shadow for the whole decade

In terms of movie endings, T2 has one of the best endings of any film ever made and that's extremely high praise for any film let alone an action movie

Last edited:
Since it came out so early in the decade, T2 more or less defined the entire 1990's in terms of action movies. Everybody was laboring in that movie's shadow for the whole decade
It was a major blockbuster hit but there are no movies that try to immitate Terminator 2 in any way. Most of the action movies of the early 90s tried to reinvent Die Hard formula, immitate John Woo's films, or merge martial arts cinema stunts and old action film plots.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Holy shit.

I’ll stick to my old copies.

My first experience with T2 was being a youngster in a home cinema store where they had the biggest TV I'd ever seen, with full surround sound playing the motorcycle chase scene on loop as a demo.

My parents were with the manager buying a speaker system. I must've watched that scene five times. I attribute some of my hearing loss to this lol

clarky

Gold Member
Watched this multiple times in the cinema back in the day. Awesome film. I prefer the first one but still top tier stuff.

Last edited:
I remember seeing this. I was around 11. It was an experience. When you walk out of the theater, you really don't want to even exist. I mean, going from that awesome fucking movie, back into boring-ass real life was soul draining, as a kid.

I want to add Paul Verhoeven's movies also had a similar effect on me.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
The helicopter chase scene with the part where they fly under the overpass still blows my mind. No CG, just straight up doing one of the riskiest stunts ever for a film.

Even crazier when you realize they did it twice, because no one on the film crew was willing to risk their lives shooting it. So Cameron did it himself to get two different perspectives. Both he and the pilot have massive balls.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great action and FX, but not a great - and certainly not perfect - movie.

Furlong's terrible, it makes Sarah such an unsympathetic psycho that Linda Hamilton can't do much with the part, the ending is total cheese (Terminators shouldn't give uplifting self-sacrificing speeches) and betrays the perfect closed-loop narrative established in the original film.

It was one of the first movies I remember watching in theaters as a kid. I watched it at the Chinese Theaters in Hollywood. I remember it being a huge event at the time. And then I'm pretty sure my parents took me out to get a Terminator toy after...

Pretty sure it was this one:

il_fullxfull.5131517206_rc8d.jpg

Denton

I pity you fools who were not of age to see this in the theater in 1991 or whatever
I pity the fools who didn't go see it in 3D few years back for its anniversary. One of my favourite theatrical experiences ever. I dunno what black magic Cameron did but it looked so pristine, bright, and 3D was awesome. And the film is just timeless masterpiece.

Great action and FX, but not a great - and certainly not perfect - movie.

Furlong's terrible, it makes Sarah such an unsympathetic psycho that Linda Hamilton can't do much with the part, the ending is total cheese (Terminators shouldn't give uplifting self-sacrificing speeches) and betrays the perfect closed-loop narrative established in the original film.
I agree and disagree at the same time. :lollipop_alien:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I pity the fools who didn't go see it in 3D few years back for its anniversary. One of my favourite theatrical experiences ever. I dunno what black magic Cameron did but it looked so pristine, bright, and 3D was awesome. And the film is just timeless masterpiece.
If they went through the effort of making it 3D, I really hope they snuck in a cameo of the T-1000000 :p

nush

I have the 3D Blu ray, did you expect anything less after Titanic 3D?

CGNoire

It is Known.

AREYOUOKAY?

It was one of the first movies I remember watching in theaters as a kid. I watched it at the Chinese Theaters in Hollywood. I remember it being a huge event at the time. And then I'm pretty sure my parents took me out to get a Terminator toy after...

Pretty sure it was this one:
Behold the final boss of the Terminator series. Or how I wish it was.

HnugsIR.jpg

YagwW10.jpg
PlTo61u.jpg

The back of the toy box doesn't give him very much lore besides "He grows big".

Last edited:

How do I know which Blu-ray(s) to purchase if I don't want any of that upscaling crapola and color fudgery? Is there an indication on the box? I suppose you just have to read reviews online.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Think I still prefer T1 over T2. The tone in T1 was more serious and had more dread and in T2 Cameron started indulging more into comedic scenes that IMO detracted from the seriousness of the situation.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Now that my wee lad has joined the teenage years I can finally start introducing him to the good stuff, we're on a Terminator session and just recently finished T3 which is still a gem imo, the action sequence with the train is fucking awesome with the wee lad saying the CGI is really good for the age and then I had to tell him nah, everything you're seeing is real, apart from the crane flip which was obvious, I also really loved the bleak ending which he of course wasn't expecting and couldn't believe they didn't win lol, great movie and worthy sequel but yes not a patch on the absolute perfection that is T2 which remains his and mine favourite, that film just nails everything, cannot wait to show him Aliens lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For me, the unforgivable error in T2's script is trying to retcon the machine apocalypse central to the narrative. Its why I kinda like 3 more than 2 even though its a worse movie in every other respect - it sets things back on their proper course.

Most people have an issue with "it was all just a dream"-style stuff, so I've always been kinda surprised that T2 gets a pass for being built around invalidating the timeline.

bitbydeath

As good as it is, I would rather they stuck with horror instead of action, the sequels could have been incredible, all of them!

Ben87fr

Really a great film but i prefer the first, Arnold is just brutal in the first, that scene in the police station man, and i love Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton, one of the best couples, and it has Lance Henricksen and Bill Paxton so fuck it it's better than T2 🍆

Top Bottom