• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old fart posting] Millennials, Zoomers why are so many of you in love with their “depression”?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Millennials are the loneliest generation - 30% always feel lonely, 27% have no close friends

Social media is a godawful replacement for genuine human interaction, but it's so addictive that it's leaving people psychologically broken.
I agree with this.

I'd bet young people have the most contacts and acquaintances, but fewer close friends. You look at FB and people my age can have anywhere from 20-200 friends. Some skew a bit higher.

Then you link up with some people at work who's 28 and her list has 1,200. How the hell does someone even know over 1,000 people whether you know them well or spoke to them once in your life where they are worth adding? There must be mass contact lists people share in high school or college and everyone follows each other whether you think it's someone worth adding or not. Young people are connected.

I'm in a middle ground of liking emails, text but also face to face. At the office, I'm a "come by whenever" person. Not a "don't bug me, email me and I'll get back to you". I like going out to lunch. I hate covid lockdown.

Although I got to say, phone calling I like the least. Not sure why. Maybe subconsciously I hate the loud ring or being put on the spot.

BigBooper

I completely hate Facebook, but I'm having to use it a lot right now due to complicated reasons. Can't wait to deactivate my account again. That's the only common social media I use.

Ionian

Some people think it makes them cool, deep, interesting, misunderstood, etc. They want attention and sympathy.

I’ve suffered from depression/anxiety for the last 10+ years of my life. It has ruined my life at times. To this day I still struggle with it. Let me tell you it’s not something to boast about or show off. I fucking hate it and wish it would fuck off.

Who the fuck would want a disease where you suffer every day. Where you want to do so many things but all you can do is just lie in bed. You literally don’t have the energy to get up to go read a book. To watch a movie. To play a game. To go to the shops for food. To go for a shower. To get dressed. To go out a short walk. To meet friends.

And all you think about is killing yourself because somehow that feels like the only option to get out of it. It’s not that you want to die but someone in a burning building doesn’t want to jump out a window. It’s either the flames or death.

It doesn’t sound fun does it? Try living with that and you won’t be so quick to let everyone know about it. It’s not a badge to wear to show off. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. It’s not something you should want.

Had pretty much the same experience, Sorry it happened to you dude. Took counseling years after (loads of drugs and drink) and the counselor did not even know why I was there.

I didn't even know why I was there. But my dumb antics had done a number on me. edit : (prior to the after event)

I went many times due to work. The pressure was serious shit. My boss committed suicide because getting in trouble with dating a co-worker and having a child with her. The fuck of HR had everyone call in and say he was found hanging from a tree behind the house of the mother of his child that I sat beside. What kind of sadistic fuck would do that? (HR dude).

I just went numb.

I've edited this for clarity.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
They put up pictures of themselves crying its fucking strange out. Or when they're in the hospital they do the same. They want the attention so much.

Another example 🤣🤣

madebytio-22042021-0001.jpg

Last edited:

The Skull

They put up pictures of themselves crying its fucking strange out
I see this a lot and I always think if you are upset or need help don't post a fucking selfie on instagram or twitter to get some virtue signalling likes. Seek actual fucking help from friends, family or professionals and not some rando check mark on Twitter.

QSD

I see this a lot and I always think if you are upset or need help don't post a fucking selfie on instagram or twitter to get some virtue signalling likes. Seek actual fucking help from friends, family or professionals and not some rando check mark on Twitter.
The weird thing is that one of the main proponents of returning to a more traditional/stoic/masculine way of dealing with things, Jordan Peterson, cries all the time in interviews. On days where I'm very cynical I sometimes think he just does it for effect. He also talks a lot about the depression that afflicts his family.

Other than that this thread is so strange, there are several posts with what appear to me to be serious heart-wrenching stories, and then there's a bunch of people saying it's all much ado about nothing. I wonder why the focus on depression, people talk about a lot of mental problems more readily these days. On the whole I still believe it's a positive thing. Just a small example: sleep paralysis. Before the interwebs, you would need a textbook on psychology or sleep abnormalities to know what this was. A lot of people that had these experiences still believed they were legit being fucked with by some kind of paranormal force, and never talked about it for fear of being thought crazy. Now you can google and hey, presto! You're not the only one, and it's completely natural.

Obviously, in the case of other mental problems, finding fellow sufferers and getting sympathy isn't the same as fixing the problem, which is where someone like JBP is useful. But on the whole, we're better off talking than suffering in silence.

Outlier

It’s just a loud minority that what attention. Most of us don’t act that way.
Yes, but if if history is accurately viewed, then it tends to be the loud minority groups of people that end up directing change in establishments.

Major companies, revolutions, music genres, electric cars, etc all had small starting points that ended up growing and changing the ways people went about things.

The squeaky wheel gets the special grease.

Ten_Fold

They want attention an for people to feel sorry for them. They complain that they make $15 an hour can’t buy a home, can’t go travel and the world is unfair. I got blocked by a good friend(I thought) on FB when I said if you spend 3-4 months at a coding bootcamp you could make $60-$100k an buy yourself a home rather than complain. I just hate attention seekers.

Kev Kev

Yes, but if if history is accurately viewed, then it tends to be the loud minority groups of people that end up directing change in establishments.

Major companies, revolutions, music genres, electric cars, etc all had small starting points that ended up growing and changing the ways people went about things.

The squeaky wheel gets the special grease.
That’s debatable, and I’m more addressing OPs idea that “so many of us” are like that. It’s not “so many of us” it’s a small, vocal minority.

The media perpetuates the idea that things are horrible, life is trash, the world is worse than ever. They don't just support this cynicism, it seems to be a contest between everybody to have the most cyncial take. This cynicism and nihilism is obnoxiously everywhere. You could want to read about the newest comic book movie and will be hit with "the world is horrible" being the main underlying theme. It is horrible because people don't like the same space movie as him, and also because "the world is on fire" and other such hysterical hyperbole by journos.

The fact is that it is actually a total lie and in contradiction with physical reality. We live in the best time ever.

The fact that we don't live in horrible times, but the narrative is that "the world is horrible" means that people have to work overtime to find ways in which the world sucks.

I think in a large way because things are so good, people have to go out of their way to state how upset they are. "Hard times make hard people soft times make soft people" more or less. What we have are snowflakes living in the most privileged time period in history who want to convince everyone they are the hardest motherfuckers of all time.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
My 17 yr old daughter is a self-cutter. Has done it probably 30 times on her arms and thighs. Then posts pics of them online.

Diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. On meds. Can turn emotions on a dime. 0-100 in minutes.

In and out of mental hospitals, changes therapists like she changes pants. Trying to quit private school but we keep encouraging her not to. Just a big mess.

Sounds rough man. I wish the best of luck to you and your family. Hope your daughter will get better soon

Zeroing

Banned
People were taught to never talk of express negative feelings about themselves, for a long time, being brave or “normal” in society eyes was equal to hold your feelings inside and pretend all is well. Nowadays things has changed.

Add all this transition in society with social media, etc and here we are! Too many things conditioning the behavior of younger generations , you might/will not relate at all. - because you haven’t experienced it. Each generation is different.

I am a millennial btw.

Last edited:

tsumake

People were taught to never talk of express negative feelings about themselves, for a long time, being brave or “normal” in society eyes was equal to hold your feelings inside and pretend all is well. Nowadays things has changed.

Add all this transition in society with social media, etc and here we are! Too many things conditioning the behavior of younger generations , you might/will not relate at all. - because you haven’t experienced it. Each generation is different.

I am a millennial btw.

Previous generations were taught to be far more stoic than Millenials. Boomers are so self-centered they didn’t care about their children’s emotional wellbeing, hence Gen X. It wasn’t about suppressing negative emotions, it was about being ignored.

As a Millenial, I find the whole “it’s a generational thing” to be precious. I’ve been waiting and waiting for my generation to say something profound. I might as well wait for Godot. Good art and culture comes from life experience and honest self-relfection, which the generation severely lacks. We latch on to postmodernism as an excuse for a lack of creativity. If you’re wondering why we haven’t produced any good music for example, that’s why.

nice try, pull the other one!

Nobody needs that awesome music when we have poetry:

Yuh, ooh, brr, brr
Gucci gang, ooh
(That's it right there, Gnealz)
Yuh, Lil Pump, yuh
Gucci gang, ooh
(Ooh, Bi-Bighead on the beat)
Yuh, brr

Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang (Gucci gang)

Spend three racks on a new chain (Yuh)
My bitch love do cocaine, ooh (Ooh)
I fuck a bitch, I forgot her name (Brr, yuh)
I can't buy a bitch no wedding ring (Ooh)
Rather go and buy Balmains (Brr)

Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang (Gucci gang)
Gucci gang, Gucci gang, Gucci gang

giphy.gif

Last edited:

QSD

I have heard that m.mushrooms could be good for the soul. Have been curious about them lately and deciding to order some for a session. At 36, I think I have accumulated a bit of clutter/baggage I need to sort through.
Just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer, so I can chill alone at my local park.
I'm nervous, but also excited to see what I get out of it.
Since everybody's just posting music now, here's the best song ever about shrooms IMHO, Joy Zipper - Dosed and Became Invisible

Since everybody's just posting music now, here's the best song ever about shrooms IMHO, Joy Zipper - Dosed and Became Invisible

never heard that before, pretty good song, i like it, nice and mellow and ethereal.

NOW IS THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN WE DANCE!!!

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who doesn't pay attention to Twitter or other forms of social media, because I know there are narcissists and other negative energy on those sites and I don't need that in my life. I would suggest others to stop dwelling on everything you read on the internet from complete strangers. Just focus your time and energy on the things you can control, whatever it is that makes you happy, and the people you love.

I hate to see any mental health disorder handwaved and scoffed at by others but I also don't like people who pretend or advertise their suffering because what you should be doing is working to lift yourself out of the darkness, not wearing it like a personal identifier and throwing a pity party. Misery might like company but people don't like those who are always miserable. But I know it's struggling to get yourself in the right mindset and it helps to pay attention to the kindness of others. Surround yourself with good, loving people and have faith.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who doesn't pay attention to Twitter or other forms of social media, because I know there are narcissists and other negative energy on those sites and I don't need that in my life. I would suggest others to stop dwelling on everything you read on the internet from complete strangers. Just focus your time and energy on the things you can control, whatever it is that makes you happy, and the people you love.

I hate to see any mental health disorder handwaved and scoffed at by others but I also don't like people who pretend or advertise their suffering because what you should be doing is working to lift yourself out of the darkness, not wearing it like a personal identifier and throwing a pity party. Misery might like company but people don't like those who are always miserable. But I know it's struggling to get yourself in the right mindset and it helps to pay attention to the kindness of others. Surround yourself with good, loving people and have faith.
Totally.

I've said it many times on this board too.

Focus on yourself. Don't worry about dumb shit on Twitter or Instagram or how much money the guy down the street has. Stop comparing yourself to others. Leave the dumb shit to dumbasses who think getting clicks is more important than life, or people in a decent state of life who want to laugh at losers on Twitter. The only people who should consider it that important are people trying to make a career in social media getting enough ad click revenue and endorsements to live off. 99.9% of people wont be able to do that.

And the best way to stop being hit with stuff that makes you miserable is to get off the net or at minimum stop scouring social media, poisonous forums etc.... If it wasnt for the politics board which was nuked, I don't even focus on Reddit or Twitter or anything. I dont even have accounts on those platforms. My key source of news now is CP24 which is a mainstream news site which I dont think even have comments/forum.

I have FB, but I just post 1-2 times a month an half the time its boring shit like holiday pics with family. I take a skim of news feeds, realize friends post boring shit too and log off.

I just focus on fun stuff like gaming, sports, business and stocks and skimming job boards. I also like reading reference material stuff like Mental Floss, Wiki, Kickassfacts etc.... I know I'm not going to remember 95% of it by the next day, but at that moment of time, it's fun informative random content. Not everything in life needs to be connected to MP gaming or interacting on Twitter just because it looks like being connected is a must have. Just chill out and be yourself and do your own thing. Think of it like SP vs MP gaming. Just because the trend is more MP gaming, nobody says you cant enjoy and do SP gaming.

At some point in life, everyone should have a game plan for school, career, based on realistically looking at yourself in the mirror plan where you want to be in 5 or 10 years kind of thing. I know what I want to do. Milk my career for another 15 years, make money n stocks and real estate and retire at about 60. I have a big tracker in Excel I made that tracks my assets with reasonable gains and it all calculates my worth at 60 as long as things hum along like now based on what I make, expenses and investments. I started this tracker on an old version of Excel about 15 years ago. And to add to the pot, I'm going to move away from the Toronto GTA to some a small town hours away like up north or London, On and cash out. Will probably bank a good half mill moving away from the metro area later in life.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Previous generations were taught to be far more stoic than Millenials. Boomers are so self-centered they didn’t care about their children’s emotional wellbeing, hence Gen X. It wasn’t about suppressing negative emotions, it was about being ignored.

As a Millenial, I find the whole “it’s a generational thing” to be precious. I’ve been waiting and waiting for my generation to say something profound. I might as well wait for Godot. Good art and culture comes from life experience and honest self-relfection, which the generation severely lacks. We latch on to postmodernism as an excuse for a lack of creativity. If you’re wondering why we haven’t produced any good music for example, that’s why.
Boomers were taught to suppress their feelings, even their own sexuality for example... there were so many taboos and they had to behave like a copy of what a “modern family” should be.

The arts are a result also of society, we are in a fast food kinda era, something fast, pretty or scandalous and easily accessible for everyone to understand... I am in the arts.

We millennials have so much access to information, being bombarded by videos, memes, ads etc we learned to not stop and think about deeper things. Internet is a place for our alter ego!

I think we millennials been conditioned into thinking that nothing is worthy of our attention for more than few days.

also how can someone expect a generation to keep trying and failing at things ( necessary for self growth) where we have this idea portraited by the media that if you are rich and famous things are so much better.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've gone to therapy and been on medication. I should probably still be on meds.

I'm not as bad as some people. I'm married. I make decent money. I have a solid career. I don't really have any problems. The best I can explain it is that I feel muted most of the time. I just sort of exist. Positive things don't really have that strong of an impact. I don't get that dopamine rush when doing my hobbies or what not.

Negative stimuli on the other hand is extremely powerful. I biologically react to stress or what not far stronger than I do positive stimuli.

Sometimes the balance tips when I've felt stressed or negative too long. When you're only feeling anything negative for so long you start to wonder why you're doing anything when the only time you truly feel is when you feel bad. I've dealt with suicidal idealation and attempted suicide a few times. The worst time was when I drive my car into a highway center divider. Luckily I was unhurt but my car was destroyed.

So it's not as simple as "solve your problems" though I do agree that you can be a slave to victim mentality. Having depression isn't an excuse for not getting your shit together. Some of our greatest leaders coped with depression such as Truman and Churchill. But it can definitely make things harder than the average person.

RAÏSanÏa

It doesn't seem there's a greater depression in these than recent previous generations.

Conditions have been fairly consistent across several generations where these groupings would apply. Increase in communication tech with the usual attention in spectacle and finding it makes some stuff stand out.

Social media is like a social credit system. At least it's largely voluntary. Still, a demanding behavioral monitor to grow up under and live up to.

KrakenIPA

My favorite thing about Boomers is how they invented participation trophies. Forced them on Millennials ant then try to blame millennials for them. Boomers are truly a garbage generation.
The best qualities of them will be the best qualities of us. As it always was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is that streetsofbeige's twitter?
If it was, it'd say I paid off 3 student loans, live in a million house, I don't drink coffee much, I've never used Uber or Lyft ever (I drive), I do shop sales, parents never helped me with loans or mortgages (did all car loans and buying properties myself finding my own agents and brokers and lawyers), and I dont use Hulu (not even sure thats available in Canada).

Not hard.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My favorite thing about Boomers is how they invented participation trophies. Forced them on Millennials ant then try to blame millennials for them. Boomers are truly a garbage generation.
Possibly. But probably due to their kid crying because they suck.

Tip for people: Unless you are a bonafide star player who everyone knows will turn pro one day, don't take sports too seriously. Its for fun and 99.9% of people wont trun pro or even semi-pro. Treat it as fun and fitness and nothing more.

I did my share of playing soccer as a kid. Some years we did decent, some years we sucked. Our team never won the shitty house league division we played in. Got a small trophy a couple times and also some shitty plastic ribbon things when we really tanked. Who cares.

Then you got 12 year olds playing like they think they are Maradonna and will turn pro. lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup, except kids today avoid any type of hardship at all costs even when the long-term benefits improve their lives.
No respect.

It's like some of the young people who we hire. Which you never get from the vets. Here's some beauties over the years you only get from 20-30 year olds:

- Coming to the office with no socks or wearing sandals. Repeatedly doing it even if told by HR to dress more appropriate as per guidebook

- Never telling people when you arent around (out of office message)

- Doing snapchat during big town hall meetings when the execs are standing in front of the room presenting something

- Trying to boss around vets even though they are rungs down the ladder. I had an argument one time and told the kids to fuck off and they went to their boss, who is the same level as me. He asked what happened, and I said your newbies tried to get me to do junk work, so I told them off. Problem solved. He told them to do it themselves and they never asked me again for dopey stuff ever again

- There's this big urge for working from home and only coming in when they feel like it even when the boss says you need to come in (the bosses even laugh with me when they tell me they want to stay home)

- Companies have two ways of doling out cars to sales reps. Car allowance or pre-determined fleet selector which I've seen as always American brands. Big uproar about please giving car allowance so they can get a BMW 3-series or low end Audi

- Amazingly, young people must be getting paid more than I thought since they all can afford two vacations per year to Mexico or a resort island

- Starbuck runs, even if it means being late to meetings

- Complaining how they cant buy a home because Toronto is too costly. So they have to rent. Yet they don't want to move to the outskirts where you can buy a modest condo for an affordable price. Of course you cant afford good properties when you want to be near the downtown core. But if you want to pay $2500 to rent instead of buying a property farther out go ahead

Last edited:

nush

- Amazingly, young people must be getting paid more than I thought since they all can afford two vacations per year to Mexico or a resort island

Credit card generation of the 70's redux. Seriously, I've misread in the past a woman in a company we worked at that had a nice car and I thought she was doing well for herself only to find the car was on finance and she lived with her parents. Pumped and dumped friendzoned.

oagboghi2

Meanwhile, in the real world, wages have stagnated for decades, companies are itching to fire/layoff employees to improve their stock or their CEO's bonus, college and especially professional degrees are out of reach without taking out life-crushing loans, rent is skyrocketing, homes are almost impossible to buy due to investors snatching them up the instant they hit the market, and racial and gender tensions are worse than ever. Oh, and now there's the ever-present risk of getting your entire life "canceled" because of something you say online.

Yeah, the world is definitely a better place now than it was for you boomers!
It is better, under every measurable metric.

oagboghi2

What in the world are you people talking about? Boomers were the first generation to ever talk about shit like this, and actually take it seriously. Do you think people in the early 1900's were fretting about their feelings? If you acted strange, they threw your ass into an asylum.

It's just evidence of how pampered people are today that they look at the "boomers" as being uncaring.

Back to the OP's point, people embrace their "depression" on social media becuase it is another way to define their image. Our society rewards people who do that.

Most people who are truly struggling with crippling depression or any other chronic disease don't advertise it.

I certainly don't fault people for mental issues, but when they're used as an excuse for being a lazy douchebag I'm out. I just had to friend-zone a guy who lives off of government welfare for being bi-polar, bro I know people on lithium just like you that can hold down a job.

tsumake

What in the world are you people talking about? Boomers were the first generation to ever talk about shit like this, and actually take it seriously. Do you think people in the early 1900's were fretting about their feelings? If you acted strange, they threw your ass into an asylum.

It's just evidence of how pampered people are today that they look at the "boomers" as being uncaring.

Back to the OP's point, people embrace their "depression" on social media becuase it is another way to define their image. Our society rewards people who do that.

Most people who are truly struggling with crippling depression or any other chronic disease don't advertise it.

Sure, they talked about it. But it didn’t mean it extended their empathy. And yes, postwar generations were pampered relative to previous generations. That’s a known quantity.

You have people who are either afraid to talk about their mental/emotional issues, and you have people who over exaggerate their problems. The latter may be a minority but they are a vocal minority.

Apparently being reactionary is a “virtue” as old as time itself.

Top Bottom