• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old fart posting] Millennials, Zoomers why are so many of you in love with their “depression”?

Lupingosei

Banned
This maybe will sound ignorant, but why are so many people telling the whole world that they are depressed. Everybody is sad sometimes, but so many "younger" people are almost celebrating their “crippling depression” and have to remind the whole world about it.

This is not the first generation to face challenges after WW2. There were so many things going on in the past and while people are safer, wealthier, and more secure than any generation before. People are only celebrating how hard it is. Even the pandemic is not the first bad thing that happened. I remember the time when I had to spend almost a year in fear if we did not get too much radiation because of Chernobyl. Had to stay inside during the summer, farmers were destroying their products and people were afraid. We worried about the ozone layer as well as other things and I was born during the cold war. We all had our challenges and problems.

I don’t say everything is great, but sometimes you really have to face your problems. Self-diagnosing depression may get you a lot of fake internet points and fake internet friends, but it will not help you in any way. Why are people so in love be their victim status, if it is not wealth, race, or gender it is mental health or anything else. And why are people demanding to be treated special because of it? There are rooms in colleges now, where you can hug pillows or stuffed animals if you don’t feel well or you can bring your emotional support animal to school. This is stuff Toddlers are doing, when do you grow up, when not during your college time? These were the best years of my life, I went to foreign countries, stayed two years in Japan, and did a lot of stupid and crazy things. If you are too afraid you are missing all of this.

Arimer

I was listening to a psychologist on one of my podcasts talk about trauma and how trauma used to be something that you should overcome and help you grow whereas in the last few years society has decided that your trauma should define you.

So taking that and applying the fact that now we're living in a time that rewards victims with attentions and in some cases money it makes it worse.

Then on top of that social media really does add to it because people are constantly bombarded by the best possible image of others lives so i'm wondering if people even know what depressed is or if they can't recognize joy. Its like when my son tells me he's bored while playing something and i'm like, if that's bored then you have no reference point on what bored actually is.

Of course i'm stupid too so ultimately i have no idea.

Last edited:
Okay boomer, why are you demanding people act a certain way about their feelings while telling the whole world how you feel? I suggest finding a safe space where you won't have to deal with these issues. I understand you've had a harder life than any "millennial/zoomer" but you don't need to be so sensitive about it.

Social media amplifies a lot of shit. Imagine thinking that people trying to gain sympathy for their issues over anyone else's is some radical new change. Hint: people have always been pretty shit and mostly cared about themselves. Now with social media, you can see anyones problems and share your own with the world. You're doing it right now, OP!

Lupingosei

Banned
Okay boomer, why are you demanding people act a certain way about their feelings while telling the whole world how you feel? I suggest finding a safe space where you won't have to deal with these issues. I understand you've had a harder life than any "millennial/zoomer" but you don't need to be so sensitive about it.

Social media amplifies a lot of shit. Imagine thinking that people trying to gain sympathy for their issues over anyone else's is some radical new change. Hint: people have always been pretty shit and mostly cared about themselves. Now with social media, you can see anyones problems and share your own with the world. You're doing it right now, OP!
I don't demand anything. I am just wondering why, because the world did not get so much worse. Of course, if people are happy with it, I can accept that.

Sharing your feelings is not a bad thing, I just wonder why share them with strangers instead of friends and family. As I said, I am old, so maybe I am out of touch.

nush

Self-diagnosing depression may get you a lot of fake internet points and fake internet friends, but it will not help you in any way. Why are people so in love be their victim status, if it is not wealth, race, or gender it is mental health or anything else. And why are people demanding to be treated special because of it?

Attention and a shield from criticism. "It's not my fault I'm unsuccessful if I have self-diagnosed depression" from people that have grown up living behind screens (Correlation/causation?). I say this as someone who once had short term doctors diagnosis of depression, I took the pills then as soon as I felt normal again which was maybe a month or two I got the fuck off them. Then went on with my life.

Some people don't actually want to get better, nice stoner pills from the therapist and a special "me time" with the therapist once a week.

Lol when someone gets triggered that boomers exist then lashes out at people.

Take a chill pill. You know from your therapist.

Last edited:

QSD

This maybe will sound ignorant, but why are so many people telling the whole world that they are depressed. Everybody is sad sometimes, but so many "younger" people are almost celebrating their “crippling depression” and have to remind the whole world about it.

This is not the first generation to face challenges after WW2. There were so many things going on in the past and while people are safer, wealthier, and more secure than any generation before. People are only celebrating how hard it is. Even the pandemic is not the first bad thing that happened. I remember the time when I had to spend almost a year in fear if we did not get too much radiation because of Chernobyl. Had to stay inside during the summer, farmers were destroying their products and people were afraid. We worried about the ozone layer as well as other things and I was born during the cold war. We all had our challenges and problems.

I don’t say everything is great, but sometimes you really have to face your problems. Self-diagnosing depression may get you a lot of fake internet points and fake internet friends, but it will not help you in any way. Why are people so in love be their victim status, if it is not wealth, race, or gender it is mental health or anything else. And why are people demanding to be treated special because of it? There are rooms in colleges now, where you can hug pillows or stuffed animals if you don’t feel well or you can bring your emotional support animal to school. This is stuff Toddlers are doing, when do you grow up, when not during your college time? These were the best years of my life, I went to foreign countries, stayed two years in Japan, and did a lot of stupid and crazy things. If you are too afraid you are missing all of this.
I don't know that this is just limited to depression. I think across the board a lot of mental problems (e.g. ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, OCD, PTSS, BPD etc etc) have become more acceptable to talk about. Only psychotic disorders like Schizophrenia still have more of a taboo around them. Partly it's to do with the internet, online discourse isn't as confronting which makes it easier for people to confide to problems they have. I don't know it's necessarily a bad thing, as a very strong taboo or disapproving social norm can cause people to deny or become blind to their problems, rather than accept them which is always going to be the first step in dealing with them (as far as possible).

I can sort of understand your lament, I feel that there used to be more of a norm of stoicism (especially among men) where it was not acceptable to bother other people with your problems and just suck it up, which to a certain degree is useful and desirable as you don't want people to become emotionally incontinent en masse. But like I said more openness also has advantages, in the end I think we will find a new balance.

Aesius

I don't know that this is just limited to depression. I think across the board a lot of mental problems (e.g. ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, OCD, PTSS, BPD etc etc) have become more acceptable to talk about. Only psychotic disorders like Schizophrenia still have more of a taboo around them. Partly it's to do with the internet, online discourse isn't as confronting which makes it easier for people to confide to problems they have. I don't know it's necessarily a bad thing, as a very strong taboo or disapproving social norm can cause people to deny or become blind to their problems, rather than accept them which is always going to be the first step in dealing with them (as far as possible).

I can sort of understand your lament, I feel that there used to be more of a norm of stoicism (especially among men) where it was not acceptable to bother other people with your problems and just suck it up, which to a certain degree is useful and desirable as you don't want people to become emotionally incontinent en masse. But like I said more openness also has advantages, in the end I think we will find a new balance.
Men just drowned their feelings with booze back in the day. Or they raised their kids with anger and aggression...if they stuck around or were involved in their upbringings at all, that is. People were just as fucked up in the "good ol days" as they are today. We just didn't hear about it as much. People suffered silently for decades.

This post is an example of race to the bottom.

Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think that part of the reason the younger generation are talk about being depressed and revel in it to some extent, it is because their parents raised them that way. They also saw what being raised by a cold unfeeling parent was like and so they over correct and show far more emotion than is necessary. I am a Gen X, and my boomer father rarely showed emotion, he still doesn't. Doesn't make it wrong or right it just makes him who he is.

One thing I think the younger generation could use instruction over encouragement. And some could use a little less of being told how special they are and more of being told you need to work hard. We currently have raised a whole generation that think each of them are very special, and while there is some truth in that, they are special to their parents, but they are not special to anyone else. Younger people that I work with want constant feedback and to hear what a good job they did for even the simplest of task. Some major companies have even implemented more reviews so they can provide more feedback to employees throughout the year.

What is needed is value. People that think they are valued have a higher sense of self worth. But with self worth also needs to be perspective. The advent of social media has people believing their own hype more and more.

It is a complex issue.

QSD

Men just drowned their feelings with booze back in the day. Or they raised their kids with anger and aggression...if they stuck around or were involved in their upbringings at all, that is. People were just as fucked up in the "good ol days" as they are today. We just didn't hear about it as much. People suffered silently for decades.

Agree, that's what I was alluding to when I say that a taboo leads to people denying and not dealing with their problems. The problems don't dissapear, but they become less generally visible.

It's a double edged sword

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Because they grew up being told they were special, and then got the cold reality dumped on them that "ha, you arent special, in fact you are pretty much below average in every way, you actually really suck". And instead of taking this reality as motivation to ACTUALLY work to become special, they instead decide to cry like the little babies they are and blame everyone else for the worthless piles of shit they turned out to be.

No self accountability or respect for the value of work.

Greatness is forged in hardship and strife. The majority of this generation hasnt had to deal with any of that, so they've artificially manufactored issues in their heads to claim their "hardship badge". You'd think with all the pop culture they absorb they'd realize the Harry Potters and Matilda's of the world turned out great because of the hardship they dealt with, its literally a fictional and real life trope.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

The world is better and easier than it ever has been before.

Speaking as an old fart life expectancy is longer, finding a mate easier, hell we are almost at the point we might get UBI to not even have to work so hard.

Social issues the same, turning on the news to hear about institutional racism rings hollow when I recall as a child and teenager watching national news at 7pm and seeing stories of actual lynchings timing men to trucks after beating them half to death to finish the job on a 10 mile gravel road.

The world is consistently improving in general terms.

In my time we had to fight to establish you have the substance behind your thoughts for people to hear you speak. There were not millions of podcasts flooding the thought space with every redundant idea. now with technology it is the reverse and everyone has a voice and most all have nothing of relevance beyond themselves to share.

People today share everything hoping something will resonate while we bitter old folks still think you should think before sharing with the world. Back then knowledge was hard to find, now you just have to sort through the sea of shit to find a piece of useful knowledge. There is no one right way

We live in the age of misinformation.

MHubert

I think we should be careful about where we point our fingers, because:

1. Even though there seems to be some kind of trailerpark championship going on (or race to the buttom, as some here aptly calls it), depression is a very real and serious condition that needs attention and/or medication.
  2. Because of the buttom race, a large portion of the western population have started to dismiss the diagnosis and instead buy into the world of new-age NLP self-help crap. Surely, these people just need to tune into some kind of +1 time spirit, and do a little bit of alchymical self-adjustment, right?
  3. The mere fact that there is a race to the buttom, indicates that something is seriously wrong. Tempting as it is, calling out people who experience prolonged emotional pain (as self-installed as it might be) as attention seekers and crybabies, doesn't help anything, quite the opposite. Calling out for help in one way or another is actually very valuable - you want people to seek out help; not making the problem bigger by ignoring it.
I agree that much of the victim culture mentality is toxic, but we have to be serious about that this is happening, and maybe open up to the fact that the older generations and the new ones aren't sharing the same type of problems.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Victim mentality gets you social media points and they don’t want any personal accountability , it’s easier to blame someone else for your problems than look in the mirror and see that maybe it’s you that’s the problem and why your life is so shitty in the first place.

Aesius

The world is better and easier than it ever has been before.

Speaking as an old fart life expectancy is longer, finding a mate easier, hell we are almost at the point we might get UBI to not even have to work so hard.

Social issues the same, turning on the news to hear about institutional racism rings hollow when I recall as a child and teenager watching national news at 7pm and seeing stories of actual lynchings timing men to trucks after beating them half to death to finish the job on a 10 mile gravel road.

The world is consistently improving in general terms.

In my time we had to fight to establish you have the substance behind your thoughts for people to hear you speak. There were not millions of podcasts flooding the thought space with every redundant idea. now with technology it is the reverse and everyone has a voice and most all have nothing of relevance beyond themselves to share.

People today share everything hoping something will resonate while we bitter old folks still think you should think before sharing with the world. Back then knowledge was hard to find, now you just have to sort through the sea of shit to find a piece of useful knowledge. There is no one right way

We live in the age of misinformation.
Meanwhile, in the real world, wages have stagnated for decades, companies are itching to fire/layoff employees to improve their stock or their CEO's bonus, college and especially professional degrees are out of reach without taking out life-crushing loans, rent is skyrocketing, homes are almost impossible to buy due to investors snatching them up the instant they hit the market, and racial and gender tensions are worse than ever. Oh, and now there's the ever-present risk of getting your entire life "canceled" because of something you say online.

Yeah, the world is definitely a better place now than it was for you boomers!

DESTROYA

Meanwhile, in the real world, wages have stagnated for decades, companies are itching to fire/layoff employees to improve their stock or their CEO's bonus, college and especially professional degrees are out of reach without taking out life-crushing loans, rent is skyrocketing, homes are almost impossible to buy due to investors snatching them up the instant they hit the market, and racial and gender tensions are worse than ever. Oh, and now there's the ever-present risk of getting your entire life "canceled" because of something you say online.

Sounds like more excuses to me , it has been like this for a while, welcome to the real world!

*Nightwing

Words mean things... in general means as a totality. Not nitpicking individual details:

And again words mean things, I’m gen x not a boomer. But by all means keep propagating and contributing to the age of misinformation vocalizing your ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject by paying attention to the hyperbolic details instead of the whole as a general as I was stating.

Aesius

Words mean things... in general means as a totality. Not nitpicking individual details:

And again words mean things, I’m gen x not a boomer. But by all means keep propagating and contributing to the age of misinformation vocalizing your ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject by paying attention to the hyperbolic details instead of the whole as a general as I was stating.
Yes, life in many third-world countries has improved. I'm pretty sure OP wasn't referring to people in Burundi complaining about depression social media. He was talking about the Western world, where life is undoubtedly worse for the young middle class or anyone trying to get ahead in 2021 than it was for boomers and even many Gen Xers, who could put themselves through college and a buy a new car by waiting tables over the summer, and then could enjoy 40+ years of nearly guaranteed employment.

This maybe will sound ignorant, but why are so many people telling the whole world that they are depressed.
Because we've unfortunately normalized mental illness and made it acceptable. Not just depression, but a whole host of mental illnesses that people should be embarrassed to admit having.

And let's be honest, this wasn't done out of compassion for the mentally ill. It was done so that drug companies could openly market and advertise any number of drugs to treat mental illness.

People love attention.
Rampant self indulgence.
This too.

*Nightwing

Yes, life in many third-world countries has improved. I'm pretty sure OP wasn't referring to people in Burundi complaining about depression social media. He was talking about the Western world, where life is undoubtedly worse for the young middle class or anyone trying to get ahead in 2021 than it was for boomers and even many Gen Xers, who could put themselves through college and a buy a new car by waiting tables over the summer, and then could enjoy 40+ years of nearly guaranteed employment.
Nope the op was referring to kids like yourself that despite not knowing how bad it was before thinking they have it worse now. If you think we in our 20s and early 30s didn’t have similar struggles manifested with different details with the previous gen and ruling class trying to hold on to their power then all I can say is the history and statistics are there for all to see and find if they so wish to find the truth. If you rather just complain and wallow in your own self pity about it as a catharsis I can a relate as we did it back then too. Nothing wrong with it. Just valuable to see the world as it is and not go from extreme to extreme as we consistently do as a collective to break the cycle.

Lupingosei

Banned
In most countries, college costs did not explode like in the US. And those costs also were created by hiring so many people into staff positions, not teaching positions. Special positions were created for diversity and equity, people watching over the dorms, social workers, therapists, this costs a lot of money. People demanded this and what did they expect, somebody has to pay for this. It is not like Gen X or Boomers went to universities and demanded a cost explosion for shits and giggles. This was created by a shift in university politics towards social justice and many people studying social-justice-oriented topics. The universities were sued because they did not find jobs in those fields so they created jobs for the people they trained and now people wonder, why everything is so expensive.

Also, people wanted to work 40+ years at the same company in the past. I work at a place where we pay very well, so you would expect people to stay. But the Millenial and Zoomer generation often switches jobs after 3-5 years, because they want something different. Also, they move a lot more than other people. Of course, it is hard to get wealthy if you switch jobs so often. Usually, you get paid better when you work longer at a company and you are getting more benefits as well and even move up. I earn more every year for example also I was getting a bonus after 5 years and an even larger after 10 years and after that all 5 years.

Last edited:

The Skull

From colleagues and friends that are millennials as well, I've noticed clear cut trends. They live their life through Twitter constantly saying about their depression or having a bad mental health day, fishing for likes or some attention from strangers who they deem as peers.

They all post the same types of virtue signalling, saying that they've identified their issues and that they're putting in the work to better themselves but at the same time spouting that everything is someone else's fault. I also think it makes them feel unique or special in some weird way.

A very cynical view of it but it's just based in my anecdotal experience. There seems to be a absolute acceptance of being depressed or having mental health issues, which is great not to demonise someone for having those issues, but I rarely see any focus on how to improve these issues or better yourself.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member

Yeah but come on dude, we could be living in the middle ages. That would be worse. Stop whining, you silly baby. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I think it also has something to do with social media. They see all these people "living" their best life, posting pictures of them partying, making money, etc. So it makes you feel like you're worthless and it keeps you wishing you had a different lifestyle, so the depression kicks in. Back in the day you didn't have this view of everyone's life and you focused more on yours, so I think that plays a big role.

QSD

Yeah, I mean, there are quite bunch of "what are you whining about, it could all be so much worse" responses here.
People shouldn't be eager to disclose their mental health problems to the world at large, that's not healthy. But some kind of admission of struggle should also not be met with derision.
After a certain point it's just useless to 'compare misery'. Things could always be worse, and things can always be framed to seem like you are responsible. Your wife died of cancer? Well, at least your daughter is still alive! Besides, don't you know how to pick a durable wife?

It is amazing how many times I have heard people tell me they are bipolar. It almost feels like a trend.

But no, the stats speak the truth, there is a massive mental health crisis. Perhaps feminism did not make women as happy as they thought it would. Perhaps consumerism is alienating us further and further from one another. Perhaps constant surveillance makes people have to watch what they say and police themselves, keeping everyone in a perpetual state of self criticism and low key self hate. Perhaps it is all these things and more.

Loneliness is at an all time high, that is for sure. It is because we spend all day staring at a screen instead of looking at real humans. This was true before the pandemic and now it's even moreso. We have a loneliness surplus.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People don't have anything to actually worry about, because their lives are hilariously easy, so they start worrying about nothing. Simultaneously they'll start publicly worrying about others who actually do have it bad, spend all day telling other people about how shitty life can be, and make themselves even worse. That's what people call SJWism or whatever at its root.

Then when we did get something to actually worry about, the solution was to stay at home and cut yourself off from society, which is hilarious in a twisted way. Lose-lose. There also seems to be a huge over-diagnosis and over-prescription problem, particularly in the USA, hence the opioid epidemic(s).

I don't have sources for all of this, just what I've personally observed.

Peggies

Gold Member
Usually, you get paid better when you work longer at a company and you are getting more benefits as well and even move up. I earn more every year for example also I was getting a bonus after 5 years and an even larger after 10 years and after that all 5 years.
Which is exactly why companies don't want to employ you for a lifetime. It's much cheaper to hire some idiot for some idiot "project" than to keep paying them for 40 years.

But of course it's the lazy millenials who want to change their employment every 3 years.

Lupingosei

Banned
Which is exactly why companies don't want to employ you for a lifetime. It's much cheaper to hire some idiot for some idiot "project" than to keep paying them for 40 years.

But of course it's the lazy millenials who want to change their employment every 3 years.
Most companies don't do that if you have a position in which you actually contribute. Else there would be no senior employees anymore. But to really contribute you have to stick to a place, make yourself know, acquire specific knowledge and as I said contribute. If you switch from one job to the next and only are on entry-level, of course, you will easily find somebody cheaper.

It is not like there are only people getting used and fired as soon as they are too expensive. People demand flexible work environments as well. Again if you expect flexibility you will have to give up something. If you want to switch jobs often you have to compete against everybody else all the time. And if you demand open borders you will have to do the same against an even cheaper workforce, willing to work even harder.

People put way to much value in themselves these days. And then they are disappointed when reality doesn’t really value them. If you’re told you’re awesome and great and special, but you realize you don’t really matter to anyone, that discrepancy is going to really bother you. People don’t cultivate meaningful relationships often times. They have very superficial acquaintances they call friends and families are often broken. So we are left with a lot of people who have been brought up to feel special and important being disappoint when they are not really special or important to anyone.

KrakenIPA

Boomers: Been there, done that, and I'm going to tell you about it whether you want to hear it or not.

Anyone Younger Than Boomers: I'm afraid that there is no stopping the train that takes me to 'there' and doing 'that', I didn't buy a ticket for this ride, and I don't want to talk about it.

Top Bottom