• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami English Preview + Hype Hype

Yoboman

TheTrin said:
I fear for the US version box art. The JP version artwork was nothing short of absolutely perfect.

I`m still a little sad that US players will never be privy to the joke behind the game`s title (Ou Kami - Divine God, Okami - Wolf). The title uses the divine god kanji, which also sounds like wolf, which is what Amaterasu is in the game.

I also love the inclusion of soooo many japanese legends (momotaru, issen boshi, Yamato no orochi, Susanoo, Amaterasu, etc etc etc).

I might have to replay the game just because it`s that sex.
I believe this is the US boxart?

920500_54203_front.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, that`s pretty good! The JP box art is still better by a small margin, but the US version is respectable, to say the least.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
at least capcom didn't **** it up like they did with Dragon Quarter box art

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
momolicious said:
US loves to use CG render characters for their boxarts, and japan likes to use artwork

It`s a really bizarre trend. For the most part, it really doesn`t work out for the best.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
So I've been watching some videos on gametrailers.com and the music is a big bunch of YES

Yup. It's a good sign when some of it is stuck in my head, prior to even playing the game. :lol

thetrin

Amir0x said:
Yup. It's a good sign when some of it is stuck in my head, prior to even playing the game. :lol

There isn`t a bad song in the bunch. It`s all absolutely incredible. I had trouble hearing the music near the end of the game, because I couldn`t stop whistling. :(

Amir0x

Banned
TheTrin said:
There isn`t a bad song in the bunch. It`s all absolutely incredible. I had trouble hearing the music near the end of the game, because I couldn`t stop whistling. :(

So happy to hear that. Great music really adds to an experience

TheTrin said:

Wow god so I need this game. I mean yeah the music I heard was really good but... yeah this might be my Shadow of the Colossus for this year.

thetrin

Yea they really use the traditional japanese instruments to good effect in the game. Taiko drums are pretty heavy, giving the game an almost warlike feel in parts.

All I wish for now is Okami one coin figures. I know this will never happen, though. :(

I can't believe this is out in a month; it's about time we start getting more games. From here on out it's like... full steam ahead bitches! :lol

thetrin

I feel sorry for american gamers. You get nothing in summer, and then you get your asses stuffed with a barrage of holiday releases. At least here in Japan, they space that shit out (but still release a shitload of crap around new year`s).

TheTrin said:
I feel sorry for american gamers. You get nothing in summer, and then you get your asses stuffed with a barrage of holiday releases. At least here in Japan, they space that shit out (but still release a shitload of crap around new year`s).

No doubt, I'll have to get a new wallet due to battle fatigue.

thetrin

Oh yea, and before this thread withers into obscurity once again, let me say this: the weapon idle animations are some of the best in gaming history.

NO ****ING JOKE.

And it's SO SOON. I need to start donating blood and semen. I could get a job but I'll soon be bogged down in so much college bullshit that it won't be funny.

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
And it's SO SOON. I need to start donating blood and semen. I could get a job but I'll soon be bogged down in so much college bullshit that it won't be funny.

Together. Mixed. In a film canister. Get to it.

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
I'm just unsure what would happen if I mixed the two. I don't know if it'd be good or bad. =\

Okami calls. Don`t question it. Get mixing.

TheTrin said:
Okami calls. Don`t question it. Get mixing.

Oh I'll have the dough to get Okami, no question. I'm just concerned about the Wii, PS3, and so forth. My college roommate has a 360 so I'm not worried about missing out on Gears of War.

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
Oh I'll have the dough to get Okami, no question. I'm just concerned about the Wii, PS3, and so forth. My college roommate has a 360 so I'm not worried about missing out on Gears of War.

Yea, this holiday season is going to be REALLY painful. Good thing I already have a 360, and Wii is going to be cheap.

I had a 360 for about a month and sold it. And aside from GOW coming out soon, I honestly don't regret it. I mean it's had some great stuff but the things I've been interested in, like Oblivion and Ghost Recon, are available on PC and I just got a very good gaming rig a couple of months ago.

But back on topic, what are the idle weapon animations like?

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
I had a 360 for about a month and sold it. And aside from GOW coming out soon, I honestly don't regret it. I mean it's had some great stuff but the things I've been interested in, like Oblivion and Ghost Recon, are available on PC and I just got a very good gaming rig a couple of months ago.

But back on topic, what are the idle weapon animations like?

I`ll spoiler mark for the hell of it.

One of the swords is broken into pieces, and a gust of wind flows around the broken parts to keep the whole thing together.

The blue shield rotates on Amaterasu`s back, and periodically breaks into 20-30 pieces, only to reform a second later.

One of the jewel weapons is a set of yin and yang that encircle Amaterasu`s neck, twisting and passing each other.

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
...damn... damn. Sounds killer. :)

That`s not the best part.

For the sword weapons, instead of grabbing the sword and down thrusting in the air, Amaterasu rides the sword like a surf board into the enemy. :lol

TheTrin said:
That`s not the best part.

For the sword weapons, instead of grabbing the sword and down thrusting in the air, Amaterasu rides the sword like a surf board into the enemy. :lol

:lol I think I'll need some alcohol with this game.

I'm picking this up from day one. I was originally getting FFXII but I've lost enthusiam after discovering I just don't like traditional RPGs. Okami looks fantastic.

Amir0x

Banned
FFXII bucks traditional jRPG standards, if that's your reason. It's the anti-traditional jRPG. That's why I love it!

But yeah Okami ftw.

Himuro said:
:lol

FFXII isn't a traditional rpg
I've watched the movies, which does show its modified battle system. But even then I just played through FFII and got to the end and now I've completely lost momentum (also I think I'm ****ed since I'm low on poitions and don't have a real mage in my party that I've leveled). But forget what I said, Okami- I want.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
This is incorrect. We have to hope these games sell in order to get more games. Otherwise it's a NON GAME future.

I can hope, but I'm resigned that it will sell 2 copies. In the end, I care enough to bitch on forums occassionally but I'll play the great true gamer games regardless of if Joe Non-gamer is gonna pick it up :D

I3rand0

I love the description on ebgames.com for this game. I really hope this is on the back of the box.

Okami takes place in a time when people still believed in the existence of God. The world has become a lifeless place, as shown in the game's use of Hokusai-style Japanese woodblock print visuals. Playing as Ama Terasu, a sun god who takes on the form of a wolf, your goal is to bring life back to the world. Bringing life back to the world involves defeating lots of beasts. With each beast you defeat, the world's life force is restored just a bit, with colors and eventually people appearing. Famitsu reveals two of the game's main beasts, the Ama no Jyaku and the Nue. Ama no Jyaku has the ability to peep on what others are thinking and disturbs them by doing the opposite of what they want. Nue, meanwhile, gains strength with every sip of the alcohol that he carries with him.

o rly

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I3rand0 said:
I love the description on ebgames.com for this game. I really hope this is on the back of the box.

o rly

:O :O

:lol Okami takes place when people were still civilized. Okami takes place before people became dipshits. Etc.

Let's make up more funny things to put on the box!

Amir0x

Banned
momolicious said:
EGM said the bad of this game is Long-winded, what does that mean

it's a very long game for this type of genre, some say it will tire you out if you try to beat it right through. you might have to take a break between

Johnas

I am really starting to get hyped for this game. Less than a month away!

I read The Trin's spoilers on weapon animations. I said wow.

If the game sold that poorly in Japan (~140,000) then it probably doesn't stand a snowball's chance here. Why so low in Japan though? That's mind-boggling.

Top Bottom