• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami English Preview + Hype Hype

lamotia

I still can't figure out how come this game is not on the Cube?! I mean it was going to be a huge success for the simple reason that there aren't any new good titles, the game's concept will appeal to the typical Cube player and also let's not forget that the Cube version of Zelda TP (for me personally) lost some of it's charm when it was announced that the game will be available for Wii also.

I just hope that Capcom did the best thing and there will still be new Clover titles that have the beauty, the style and the vision of Okami. Amen to that!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Probably not at this stage....but at least last winter the GC version of Sonic Riders and Shadow the Hedgehog sold more than the others.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered mentioning that...

Oblivion said:
Probably not at this stage....but at least last winter the GC version of Sonic Riders and Shadow the Hedgehog sold more than the others.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered mentioning that...

Probably because of how many games Nintendo fans get in general, they'll take anything.

Oh and kiddie games + kiddie audience.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
DarknessTear said:
Probably because of how many games Nintendo fans get in general, they'll take anything.

Not really. Otherwise FE: PoR and Fzero GX might have sold more. :(

Tokubetsu

I think the rarest game from Capcom this generation I can think of are the Maximo gamess...but I've yet to meet anybody wouldnt refuse a 10-20 dollar offer on both games.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
chinmonster said:
Why? If I didn't want this game so much it would've killed the deal for sure.

Definately not a deal breaker for me but games coming out this late in the PS2's life should have these things! Oh well

BlueTsunami said:
Definately not a deal breaker for me but games coming out this late in the PS2's life should have these things! Oh well
Yes. My HDTV is crying right now because I'll have to play Okami on a normal TV to maintain visual integrity. :(

Amir0x

Banned
DarknessTear said:

Oh and kiddie games + kiddie audience.

Okami is no kiddie game. But who cares, it's on PS2... any true gamer has a PS2. If you don't, tough cream cakes!

Anyway, that Okami boxart is pretty nice. I just want Capcom to officially announce a final date so I can be comforted in knowing it's right around the corner.

Amir0x said:
Okami is no kiddie game. But who cares, it's on PS2... any true gamer has a PS2. If you don't, tough cream cakes!

Anyway, that Okami boxart is pretty nice. I just want Capcom to officially announce a final date so I can be comforted in knowing it's right around the corner.

I did not say Okami was a kiddie game!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Amir0x said:
i guess i'm just confused then, do you think Okami will sell good on Gamecube or not?
...It's not coming out for Gamecube so isn't that a silly question in the first place?

wii version will sell the best

castle007

Banned
keanerie said:
920500_54203_front.jpg

Final box art? I like it okay.

Wow, that is a great box art

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This game looks so good it might be the first I since DQ8.

I would caution everyone:
Lower your expectations. If it matches them, ok. It if passes them, great. But if you build this beautiful game up this much w/o actually playing it, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. (see SotC).

OK, play asia is having a sale and I went weak... bought Ookami Jp for 45 USD. I wanted to wait, but I'm weak.

Pointless post, yeah, but I felt like mentioning it.

Lower your expectations. If it matches them, ok. It if passes them, great. But if you build this beautiful game up this much w/o actually playing it, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. (see SotC).

I'm not too hard to please. My expectations seem bloated around these parts, especially for FFXII and MGS4, but I always really know what to expect from a game. Shadow of the Colossus, I had 16th+3rd Colossi-high expectations and the game actually exceeded them.

Amir0x

Banned
PantherLotus said:
This game looks so good it might be the first I since DQ8.

No need. People already played this and consider it a GOTY/GOTG event. they are not lying, and I assume neither is the videos and concepts around gameplay. This is a true blue GOTY calibre event.

Also, I was super hyped about SotC... framerate aside, it lived up to most of my expectations.

Would you believe that the framerate may have only bothered me a few times while playing through Colossus? I mean I acknowledge that there are framerate issues, but I was so pulled into the game that I just quite frankly ever hardly noticed them.

Amir0x

Banned
I believe it. I only don't believe people who refuse to recognize the game has a poor framerate. Shadow of the Colossus is a great game, it has this power to make people ignore these issues.

I'd say Colossus was my favorite game last year along with RE4. I'm trying to think of what else came out last year that could even contend with those two. God of War was great but it was a one-time only novelty for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Mini-update: all the places that sell games online have changed their Okami release date to September 5, which is a Tuesday (they listed it for September 9th only a few days ago)... I imagine this is finally the real final release date :D

So...yeah...not long to wait now!

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Jesus, I've not seen anything quite like this. And the music is great.

When he created a wind storm that blew sand into place I said "wow"

same for the lighting rod thing :eek:

Amir0x

Banned
yeah don't care about discussing that, especially imagining the atrocious 3D that would accompany it :lol

awesome is PS2, PS2 is awesome

Amir0x said:
yeah don't care about discussing that, especially imagining the atrocious 3D that would accompany it :lol

awesome is PS2, PS2 is awesome

Oh I know, I'm just saying I think the gameplay would be killer on DS for a spinoff or something. No, this game is beautiful and I wouldn't settle for this particular one to be on a handheld.

Kangu

Banned
The fact that this game is going to bomb hard breaks my heart. It truly does. I wish there was someway I could shake some sense into gamers everywhere and have them go out in droves to buy this beatiful game. I wish consumers would reward developers and publishers for taking a chance.

I wish there was some way to make it sell.

Maybe CAPCOM can put a green hood, some metallic underpants and glaring cameltoe on the wolf?

Maybe a red cap and some overalls will do the trick?

Maybe they could just call it GTA: Japan?

Maybe they could sell it as Madden 2007 special edition for $100. Only its just regular old madden with okami packed in.

I don't know of any other sure ways to make a videogame sell and I'm about ready to start going door to door evagelizing Okami. I'm that sure it's going to bomb, and I'm that sure it's going to be outstanding.

Clover clearly wants to be unlike every other studio on the market. They want to be fresh, innovative, stunning, deep and assured quality. They want to be PIXAR for gamers. And gamers are saying "**** off, we don't want no PIXAR, we likes our Shrek 3 just fine."

At least I can hope for some team ICO style word of mouth. ICO and SotC have proven that if all of the true gamers in the world rally together we can get a unique, fresh, beautiful, quality title sales in the 300,000 units range. yay.

/emo

Garcian

Kangu said:
Clover clearly wants to be unlike every other studio on the market. They want to be fresh, innovative, stunning, deep and assured quality. They want to be PIXAR for gamers. And gamers are saying "**** off, we don't want no PIXAR, we likes our Shrek 3 just fine."

They all laughed when Edison recorded sound.

I have little to add to the conversation, other than to say how much I adore the look of Okami - I've been patient & held off from buying the Jpn release, because it's a game I want to experience in its entirety. Can't wait.

This is going to be a game that sells far, far less than it deserves.

Consoles... they always go out with a bang. *wipes tear from eye*

Aside from the Atari 2600. It went out with a crash. But we'd all prefer to forget that.

Amir0x said:
I believe it. I only don't believe people who refuse to recognize the game has a poor framerate. Shadow of the Colossus is a great game, it has this power to make people ignore these issues.

Believe.

Or not, maybe it does have a poor framerate but I'd be damned if I could tell. I used to feel jealous of people who could see framerate dips, as though they had some special power or knowledge that I was not privy to, but now I realise that it is in fact a curse, and I, in my ignorance, am the one who is blessed.

Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times on GAF I've read people decrying a game's framerate as making it almost unplayable, only to have no problem with it whatsoever.

Back on topic though, I'm still hoping that the Feb 12 release date for the PAL version is a joke. I figure it's for multiple languages but it is damn depressing. I'm this close to just getting a US PS2 but I don't want to contribute to the problem of European gamers being treated like 2nd class citizens.

Amir0x

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Believe.

Or not, maybe it does have a poor framerate but I'd be damned if I could tell. I used to feel jealous of people who could see framerate dips, as though they had some special power or knowledge that I was not privy to, but now I realise that it is in fact a curse, and I, in my ignorance, am the one who is blessed.

Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times on GAF I've read people decrying a game's framerate as making it almost unplayable, only to have no problem with it whatsoever.

Well, I honestly just don't believe it. SotC is far too choppy for some people to just not notice it in my view, unless they have problems with their eyes or something. But I'm sure at the very least if it was pointed out to you when it was happening, you'd be able to tell the difference.

Amir0x said:
Well, I honestly just don't believe it. SotC is far too choppy for some people to just not notice it in my view, unless they have problems with their eyes or something. But I'm sure at the very least if it was pointed out to you when it was happening, you'd be able to tell the difference.

At the very least I would nod in agreement to make you feel better.

It was the PAL version, which may or may not have been cleaned up a little (I can't remember if we ever got confirmation of that).

The only time I notice framerate is if it is consistently low, I'm talking stretches of a least a couple of minutes, not occasional dips. Even then I have to concentrate really hard to notice it.

Amir0x

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
At the very least I would nod in agreement to make you feel better.

It was the PAL version, which may or may not have been cleaned up a little (I can't remember if we ever got confirmation of that).

The only time I notice framerate is if it is consistently low, I'm talking stretches of a least a couple of minutes, not occasional dips. Even then I have to concentrate really hard to notice it.

Well, i'm not trying to get you to agree with me. I just feel this is really an obvious and serious flaw in SotC, but if for some reason you couldn't notice it it's not like i can prove or disprove that anyway

MoxManiac

I am looking forward to playing Blami.

You guys know that this game is going to sell like 3 copies here? It looks amazing, but I don't see it doing well :(

Top Bottom