• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami English Preview + Hype Hype

Amir0x

Banned
yes, most of us are resigned to the fact that this will sell very little.

true gamers don't care though - we play quality, we don't masturbate over sales charts and all is well

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Do Moderators have access to some secret NeoGAF or something that us peons don't?

'we' being the true gamers - if you masturbate over sales charts to validate your purchase or cheerlead it, you're not a true gamer

Wait a moment.

So, being happy about the fact that the games I like are selling well indicates you're not True Gamers.

However, being grumpy and whiny about the fact that games you don't like/non-games are selling well indicates... what, exactly?

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Wait a moment.

So, being happy about the fact that the games I like are selling well indicates you're not True Gamers.

However, being grumpy and whiny about the fact that games you don't like/non-games are selling well indicates... what, exactly?

i'm just joking around, you can masturbate to sales charts all you want

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Pureauthor said:
Wait a moment.

being happy about sales is not the same as obsessing over them... which is what ami was getting at.

Sagitario

I have 4283x[3074|3016|3040] of the 3 pics... but they're 2.5-3MB each...
Tell me where to upload them and they're yours :) ...

DrForester said:
Boxart fails without this artowk on it.

on that note, anyone have a bigger version of it, a wallpaper perhapse.

okami_on_fire.jpg

What resolution do you want?

Edit: I'm uploading 1024x[727|734] of the first 2 pictures...

Amir0x

Banned
awesome, thanks :D

dang, just noticed they're not 1024x768... makes it a little weird on my screen... still, thanks... I'll work with this by putting that bar beneath the taskbar

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If there were a "Media Create Amazingly Good Art" sales chart, Okami would be on top for like 400 weeks.

Gorgeous, gorgeous art. It's my desktop.

Sagitario

Amir0x said:
awesome, thanks :D

dang, just noticed they're not 1024x768... makes it a little weird on my screen... still, thanks... I'll work with this by putting that bar beneath the taskbar

Sorry... I wanted to keep the aspect ratio... you could complete the missing pixels by adding a black bar either up or down (or split the difference between the two) depending on where you have the task bar... I can do it if you want it...

teiresias said:
1600x1200?

Working on it...

Vard

Farore said:
Working on it...

You don't have to... I just gave a link to Clover's site with the wallpapers already in that format.

Unless you're talking about the wolf with the white background art.

Sagitario

Vard said:

I've it in way higher resolution if anyone wants it...

Vard said:
And on Clover Studios' site, the wallpapers are in 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1200, and 800x600. Check check it: http://www.cloverstudio.co.jp/gallery/wall/wall04.html

You're right, although the color palette seems different on some of them...

Vard said:
You don't have to... I just gave a link to Clover's site with the wallpapers already in that format.
Well... I already had one done, I'll post it anyway :p ...

is this the first time an action adventure game is more than 20 hours?

yeah, it sucks that not alot of people will buy it because its probably too "wierd" for them

wow, that thing that talks to okami makes more noise than Navi, uh oh

keanerie

Wow, I just checked out that feature and those vids.

Within each of the three weapon classes, there are five unique weapons for a total of fifteen weapons to be found throughout the game.
The reflector weapons carry a good balance of speed and power, making them the easiest to use. They also work well as a sub weapon since they can be used for defense unlike the other weapon classes. If the player successfully defends against an enemy attack using the sub weapon, then it can open up some enemies for a throw.
Different rosaries equipped as sub weapons produce different bullet effects, so we recommend trying them all out. It's also possible to further increase the firing speed by learning the "Bead String" technique at the Dojo, resulting in some rapid-fire action.

Awesome. Plus you can learn more offensive/defensive techniques at a "Dojo," I can only wonder how many. Antcipation +20983591295. I really, really hope that this game's combat turns out to be like a more accessible Devil May Cry 3 with a dog.

Amir0x

Banned
Gamespot has put up a new English Language preview for Okami at the website. Some minor spoilers, so be careful.

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/okami/news.html?sid=6155294]Gamespot[/url] said:
As you can guess from our brief plot synopsis above, Okami is a very Japanese game. The story of Amaterasu is taken from Japanese mythology, although some dramatic liberties have obviously been taken to offer a proper game experience, and you'll encounter a who's who of deities from the Shinto pantheon. Whether you're familiar with Japanese mythology or not, the game's story remains accessible. The nice thing about myths is that they aren't big on shades of grey; as such, you'll be able to tell the good guys from the bad guys without much trouble. Although, we should note that we've heard from mythology aficionados that knowledge of the various myths might actually give you an edge during some of the boss fights, as your mythological foes will carry their traditional weaknesses. (This perhaps marks the first time a book on ancient Japanese mythology could be considered a "strategy guide.")

Okami's gameplay is best described as an action role-playing game. You'll start the game with a smattering of your original godly powers and must trek all over the land to collect them and build yourself up to your former glory. As you prepare for this comeback, you'll interact with the locals, both human and animal, and restore their faith in you in a number of ways. Talking to non-player characters will invariably send you on quests that will help them, or the world at large, out. For example, human NPCs will need you to run errands or help out with other mortal problems. Supernatural NPC's, such as Sakuya the wood sprite, will offer you big-picture tasks such as ridding the land of darkness and restoring nature. Finally, animal NPCs are considerably more low maintenance, often just requiring some chow to worship. Performing any of the above will yield praise that you'll absorb into a point stock, which can then be used to increase various attributes.

The nice thing is that rather than feeling like a derivative knockoff of Nintendo's classic franchise, what we've played so far gives Okami an assured handling that positions it more as a contemporary. One thing that helps this is the game's localization, which while not quite as polished as what we've seen in Nintendo's gems, is quite good and involving. The humorous bits we've seen so far work well and don't fall flat, as is often the case with import games that have such a strong Japanese flavor.

Seems the localization went quite well. Even comparing it to Nintendo's localization standards is a compliment. Happy to hear that.

Much more at the link about the visuals, audio, etc... good stuff.

Along with this, Gamespot put up more videos here.

allarise

Really pumped for this game as well. Agreed, current gen has been kicking a lot of ass lately. Makes you wish that the industry could've staved off the next gen for another year or so as developers have really settled into making great games lately.

btw. this is my first post, reader for a few weeks now.

Oda

My wallet is still in pain after realizing this, Yakuza, Loco Roco and Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts all come out on the same day.

If I had to choose though, it would be Okami all the way. This game looks so absurdedly awesometastic and really deserves all the support it can get. Ami, I really think you ought to enforce a 'Buy Okami or take a GAF vacation until 2007' rule. Borderline communist, but you know it has to be done. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Oda said:
My wallet is still in pain after realizing this, Yakuza, Loco Roco and Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts all come out on the same day.

If I had to choose though, it would be Okami all the way. This game looks so absurdedly awesometastic and really deserves all the support it can get. Ami, I really think you ought to enforce a 'Buy Okami or take a GAF vacation until 2007' rule. Borderline communist, but you know it has to be done. :D

Wait wait, Loco Roco and UGnG come out the same day as Okami and Yakuza? I have these two preordered as well but honestly did not notice the release date falls on the same time. Jesus Christ, I'll be coming home with 4 games that need my direct attention that day... too much.

Amir0x said:
Wait wait, Loco Roco and UGnG come out the same day as Okami and Yakuza? I have these two preordered as well but honestly did not notice the release date falls on the same time. Jesus Christ, I'll be coming home with 4 games that need my direct attention that day... too much.

But surely the most attention will go to Okami, right? I dunno, I played a Yakuza demo from the newest OPM disc and thought it was pretty bad. Of course that could have just been a demo problem but I mean, they have a lot to improve from the demo before I'd even give it interest.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
But surely the most attention will go to Okami, right? I dunno, I played a Yakuza demo from the newest OPM disc and thought it was pretty bad. Of course that could have just been a demo problem but I mean, they have a lot to improve from the demo before I'd even give it interest.

I liked the demo a lot, loading issues aside, so I didn't have a problem. Yakuza and Okami are both going to get major priority, will be difficult to decide finally which to focus on in the end.

Whatever the result, UGnG is definitely right after :p

stalker

I bought a ps2 two months ago just to be able to play Okami someday. I don't want to be a part of the problem. The funny (sad) thing is that there is not even a date set in stone for the PAL release (I see february 2007 in most online shops).

:-(

I am playing those Metal Gear games meanwhile.

Johnas

Does Okami have a definite U.S. release date yet?

Oh wait, I see it comes out the same day as those other titles, I'll look it up.

OK, thanks Ami.

Amir0x said:
I liked the demo a lot, loading issues aside, so I didn't have a problem. Yakuza and Okami are both going to get major priority, will be difficult to decide finally which to focus on in the end.

Maybe I'm just missing the point of Yakuza... I went from fighting in the streets which seemed to be pretty bland, to going on a date and having to make a bunch of choices about what to buy the girl, to playing baseball. I don't know, just didn't do anything for me, but different strokes for different folks I guess. By the way, is there an Okami demo yet?

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Maybe I'm just missing the point of Yakuza... I went from fighting in the streets which seemed to be pretty bland, to going on a date and having to make a bunch of choices about what to buy the girl, to playing baseball. I don't know, just didn't do anything for me, but different strokes for different folks I guess. By the way, is there an Okami demo yet?

These baseball, gambling and hostess club shit is mostly bonus stuff... you don't have to participate in these things most of the time during the game. It's like how any RPG allows you to participate in mini-games to win prizes or money... a familiar concept to be sure.

Amir0x said:
These baseball, gambling and hostess club shit is mostly bonus stuff... you don't have to participate in these things most of the time during the game. It's like how any RPG allows you to participate in mini-games to win prizes or money... a familiar concept to be sure.

Ohh okay. That sounds better. I actually thought they were big parts of the game. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Ohh okay. That sounds better. I actually thought they were big parts of the game. :lol

Nah, flow of the game is a story based action rpg... you go around, face these random battles with enemies that you beat up and then get the next story part. as you level up, you learn new moves and can even learn heat moves for individual weapons for more and more brutal kills.

Along the way, you can buy weapons, items, etc... which is why these extra little mini-games come in handy.

Johnas

I just realized the first of the "big" fall releases for me (Okami) is less than a month away. Nice.

I know it's wrong to say it, but I really hope UGnG gets the PS2 treatment a la GTA: LCS. I would be elated.

Sounds a lot more promising. I still don't think I'll be picking it up day one because of all the other crap coming out that I want a lot more, but Christmas time is right around the corner. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I fear for the US version box art. The JP version artwork was nothing short of absolutely perfect.

I`m still a little sad that US players will never be privy to the joke behind the game`s title (Ou Kami - Divine God, Okami - Wolf). The title uses the divine god kanji, which also sounds like wolf, which is what Amaterasu is in the game.

I also love the inclusion of soooo many japanese legends (momotaru, issen boshi, Yamato no orochi, Susanoo, Amaterasu, etc etc etc).

I might have to replay the game just because it`s that sex.

Top Bottom