• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami English Preview + Hype Hype

Amir0x

Banned
okami-20060510020745385.jpg

okami-20060510020757213.jpg

okami-20060404024041786.jpg

Click

First things first, the English-language game is identical to its Japanese counterpart, except for the text. This is no small undertaking, as the wordy Okami required 1,500 pages of text to be translated into English. This is perhaps the reason, as many have been wondering, for the length of time between the release of the two versions (the Japanese game came out in April of this year). From what we saw of the English text, the time looks like it's being well spent. There's a lot of dialogue, so the characters do tend to go on a bit, but it doesn't seem to have been translated literally. There are little bits of slang splattered throughout (depending on the character) and different types of emphasis within the text to evoke emotion, in lieu of having voiced dialogue in the game. The characters still feature the same Animal Crossing-esque mumbling found in the Japanese version, and while it's coherent enough to imply tone in some spots, its presence otherwise is simply to give the game more flavor.

More at the link above. This game is going to be so amazing. I was watching videos of this in total awe. Can't wait.

Also new gameplay videos posted at Gamespot here.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I hope this game changes my world.

Please live up to everything I imagine. *crosses fingers and thinks real hard*

What a way to go out, PS2. Bravo. Cannot Wait.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okami is one of the best games I`ve ever played through. In general, it`s a rather easy game, but there`s something about it that makes it one of the most incredible gaming experiences in recent memory.

As GAF said once before: If you don`t buy Okami, you are part of the problem.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:
How long is it? 10+ hours is the sweet spot but 15+ would make me a believer.

Took me 53 hours. :)

Wooooord.

thetrin

Amir0x said:
holy shit 53 hours

holy shit

i am all OVER this shit. all the **** over.

Yea, there tons of side quests, bounties, dungeons, etc etc etc. It`s very Zelda esque.

Srider

Banned
This would have been the perfect game to be dubbed in Engrish. If you've played the Japanese version, you would understand why.

Amir0x

Banned
TheTrin said:
Yea, there tons of side quests, bounties, dungeons, etc etc etc. It`s very Zelda esque.

Oh jes-us. Current gen goes out with some helluva bang. Okami, FFXII, Twilight Princess trifecta of amazering.

thetrin

Srider said:
This would have been the perfect game to be dubbed in Engrish. If you've played the Japanese version, you would understand why.

I can see a lot of the humor in this game being totally removed from the US version. My favorite little bit is the fact that demons and aliens speak in Katakana, because they`re "not japanese."

Hmmm... so there aren't any improvements over the Japanese game? There was a bunch of talk about faster loading, new content, and the sort, but I guess that didn't pan out?

Amir0x

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Hmmm... so there aren't any improvements over the Japanese game? There was a bunch of talk about faster loading, new content, and the sort, but I guess that didn't pan out?

a.) where did the talk come from?
b.) It's Gamespot, they seem like they never played the Japanese version extensively so they might have got information wrong about stuff like new content/loading. So it's still possible i suppose. Would love faster loading especially.

Gribbix

I'm really looking forward to Okami, but what is Capcom thinking with releasing this and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins on the same day (9/05) followed by Mega Man ZX one week later on 9/12? And that doesn't even take the competition into consideration (Yakuza on 9/01 and Loco Roco on 9/05). You'd think they'd try and spread these releases out a bit.

Aaron

I played this at E3 and found it boring. What is wrong with me? Was it the fact that I had played the new Mortal Kombat game right before and hadn't gotten the taste of fake blood out of my mouth, or were the visuals so dazzling that I was pressing buttons without realizing it was actually a cut-scene?

Seriously though, I'm going to rent this one to give it another go. Everything about it screams fun, but I just wasn't feeling it at the time.

duckroll

Okami took me about 35 hours over an entire month to complete. The game is GREAT to pick up and play, so even though I wasn't really in the mood for it sometimes, I eventually beat it. There's a SHITLOAD of content and the gameplay is great. The game is really really easy, but it's also pretty damn original. The plot rocks too. :D

jarosh

i'm on a self-imposed media blackout as far as okami is concerned. i'm already hyped enough and i'd rather not spoil anything more for myself...

Naruto

I have the JAP version of the game and it rocks,the controls are fantastic and the graphics is absolutely amazing(Blury cell shading rocks!),and the story itself,well,it's all japanese so i don't really understand anything but it seems humoristic(?).The fighting is nice and the brushing works pretty good, too bad i don't understand a thing but sometimes I play it just to look at the awesome graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Okami took me about 35 hours over an entire month to complete. The game is GREAT to pick up and play, so even though I wasn't really in the mood for it sometimes, I eventually beat it. There's a SHITLOAD of content and the gameplay is great. The game is really really easy, but it's also pretty damn original. The plot rocks too. :D

Not in the mood! Humbug. So much Fall lovin' this year..

thetrin

Amir0x said:
Not in the mood! Humbug. So much Fall lovin' this year..

There wasn`t enough MOMO for duck.

thetrin

Aaron said:
I played this at E3 and found it boring. What is wrong with me? Was it the fact that I had played the new Mortal Kombat game right before...

Just...stop. Please.

keanerie

Amir0x said:
Anybody who has IGN Insider, go check out Masterbit theatre video of Okami. You will be floored.

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN I watched that s**t. Holy freaking Jesus this game will be INCREDIBLE. THis fall's current gen (read: PS2) orgy is going to begin with a beautiful, ink-washed bang.

Amir0x

Banned
keanerie said:
OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN I watched that s**t. Holy freaking Jesus this game will be INCREDIBLE. THis fall's current gen (read: PS2) orgy is going to begin with a beautiful, ink-washed bang.

YES! I was skeptical of this game, but now that I am broadband I was able to check the Masterbit video. My mind literally nearly melted at the gorgeous fluid game before me! I was like "this am PS2? Artistic wonder!" I think Okami has chance of being a game of generation type event.

MoxManiac

TheTrin said:
Okami is one of the best games I`ve ever played through. In general, it`s a rather easy game, but there`s something about it that makes it one of the most incredible gaming experiences in recent memory.

As GAF said once before: If you don`t buy Okami, you are part of the problem.

Easy? :(

Luckett_X

Banned
MMaRsu said:
I want this game really bad, to bad I won't buy a Ps2 for it :)

oh hey, another games hater. why do you people come here!

And yes, I turn up in every Okami thread to display my salivating lust for this game. It is pretty much everything I've wanted from a game. Giant adventure area's with time cycle, funky gameplay, non-generic characters and a wildly refreshing graphic style.

Top Bottom