• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official World Cup of Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
Bleh, after the game, Kovalev was in an interview and he was asked if he could comment on the rumors (it was rumored Kovalev had already agreed to a deal with Montreal but both parties wouldn't reveal anything until the tournament was over) now that the tournament was over and Kovalev basicly said that it's the first time he's heard about any of this and that he has been paying attention to the tournament first and foremost. Later he added that he won't have any trouble finding a job in the NHL for the next season.

Please Kovy come back to Montreal :(

Malakhov

Banned
Here we go, some lunatics trying to start a Team Quebec for international hockey tournaments.

Hmm, let's see:

Goaltending: Brodeur, Luongo, Theodore (Daaaamn)

Offense: Tanguay, Lecavalier, Lemieux, St-Louis, Gagné, Brière, Lapointe, Damphousse, Bergeron, Ribeiro, Scott Walker, Robitaille (Pretty damn good)

Defense: Gauthier, Desjardins, Dandeneault, Boucher, Brisebois, Bergeron (That's where they'd lack).

We'd put up a pretty good team though, very good offense backed up with a weak defense but great goaltending, hmm ;)

I was actually just thinking today about who Canada would have in goal if Quebec split off, and the only two goalies I could come up with were Belfour and Turco. Is Raycroft Canadian?

Mike Works said:
I was actually just thinking today about who Canada would have in goal if Quebec split off, and the only two goalies I could come up with were Belfour and Turco. Is Raycroft Canadian?

Yeah, he's from Ontario.

Check here for easy player birthplace reference.

Malakhov

Banned
Mike: It's not only if Quebec splits off, they're saying we could ask the federal governement to be able to participate in some sports tournament on our own just like it happened in countries before.

That would totally suck though, imo. Right off the bat about 7 players including the 3 goalies would be missing for team Canada. I rather we have one big powerhouse than 2 talented teams.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Anyone else find the guy who's been singing the National Anthems in Toronto to be kinda scary? He's good and all...but he's, like scary...

er, anyway, game on!!
My friend is at the game right now..grrr..!! GO CANADA!

Socreges

Banned
I think Canada has played their best game of the tournament so far. But they've had to work for everything. Slovakia has been so tight on defense.

calder

Why am I working late again? I need to check a fucking schedule before I agree to flex my hours next week. :p :p :p

I was starting to sweat when I checked TSN's "live" scoreboard and it was tied after the first.

and did the NHL slap together the shittiest website of all time for wcoh2004.com? That fucking pos won't even load images half the time.

Pochacco

SMITTY!
That's my boy - nice goal.

Ok, I feel good about this game now :)
This team looks great! So fast!!

WHOO 4-0 NOW SAKIC! AYEAPRU!@#!@#

Gregory

Banned
This was not good. Seems to be a big chance for an USA-Canada final now. Team Finland is in full turmoil and will most likely not stand a chance against USA.

The Czechs are looking very strong though and has good chance of beating Canada. I want a Finland - Czech final, that would be a cool surprise.

Pochacco

Gregory said:
This was not good. Seems to be a big chance for an USA-Canada final now. Team Finland is in full turmoil and will most likely not stand a chance against USA.

The Czechs are looking very strong though and has good chance of beating Canada. I want a Finland - Czech final, that would be a cool surprise.
:mad:

Canada looked good tonight, really good.
Things are going so well that I'm scared...

Socreges

Banned
Fifty said:
We were getting along for so long. :(
Sorry. :(

I didn't like how the Toronto crowd booed Chara. For one, he's a respectable player. Secondly, this is a Canada/Slovakia game. Injecting a Leafs/Sens rivalry is silly, especially when you've just thrashed the team 5-0 and he's receiving Player of the Game honours. Though I suppose you can't control a brainless mob.

calder

I'd cut the ACC crowd some slack if a) they had half the enthusiasm and passion of the Montreal crowd or b) they could at least SELL OUT THE FUCKING GAME.

dem

What?? The game wasnt sold out?? Are you fucking kidding me???

What a joke

I guess it just goes to show that Toronto is indeed a Leafs town.. not a hockey town.

Pochacco

Socreges said:
Sorry. :(

I didn't like how the Toronto crowd booed Chara. For one, he's a respectable player. Secondly, this is a Canada/Slovakia game. Injecting a Leafs/Sens rivalry is silly, especially when you've just thrashed the team 5-0 and he's receiving Player of the Game honours. Though I suppose you can't control a brainless mob.
Well said. Stupid Torontonians.

Fifty

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

What's that filthy Flame doing on our ice?

I don't understand why #66 isn't at home cooking his kids' dinner.

GO LEAFS GO

Wade Belak should be on this team instead of Wade "Rub it till its" Redden

dem

XPCH107090821_640x480.jpg

Mainline

calder said:
I'd cut the ACC crowd some slack if a) they had half the enthusiasm and passion of the Montreal crowd or b) they could at least SELL OUT THE FUCKING GAME.

Well sir...A)I was at the Montreal games yelling things such as "Chara Sucks" and "Brett Hull Sucks" (he did play vs Canada) and you KNOW I'm loud..PLUS we'd been drinking all day. B) Ryan Smyth is the best ever. YES!!!!!!!!! OMG! No seriously he's everything I want in a hockey player...tough, goes to the net and has decent hands...like wh0a! all the Oilers need is to trade for Heatley and Vinny...WHAT?!

Mainline said:
Well sir...A)I was at the Montreal games yelling things such as "Chara Sucks" and "Brett Hull Sucks" (he did play vs Canada) and you KNOW I'm loud..PLUS we'd been drinking all day. B) Ryan Smyth is the best ever. YES!!!!!!!!! OMG! No seriously he's everything I want in a hockey player...tough, goes to the net and has decent hands...like wh0a! all the Oilers need is to trade for Heatley and Vinny...WHAT?!
Wow.

Mainline

The whole crowd was chanting those things, not just me, just so thats clear, I'm not sure if you can pick those sort of things up clearly on the broadcast. Good times.

calder

Dude, this NHL All Access show about the draft is one of the better shows NHL Network has during the off season. Listening to the GM's talk is great, and even the Carolina scouts/management sitting in the hotel room doing a mock draft of the first round to see who likes who is cool. I wonder who Lowe was offering to trade picks with Brian Burke that had Burkie saying that he'd need a third pick this year to make it work.

ghostface

dem said:
What?? The game wasnt sold out?? Are you fucking kidding me???

What a joke

I guess it just goes to show that Toronto is indeed a Leafs town.. not a hockey town.
Well said.

Montreal hockey fans>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toronto fans

USA - Finland. Should be a great game. I hope Finland wins and we could see Canada -Finland final. :) Too bad the game starts tonight at 02:00 AM.... I have to get some sleep during the evening. :\

calder

As always, Finland is my second favourite hockey nation so I'm cheering for them to beat the US. But I'm predicting a narrow, hard fought US victory... say 4-3 with the Finns scoring late down by 2 but being unable to tie.

calder

WC: Brodeur questionable for Saturday
Canadian Press
9/10/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Martin Brodeur's hand is sore, so the star goaltender will be a game-time decision when Team Canada takes on the Czech Republic in the semifinals of the World Cup on Saturday.

Brodeur, who left Air Canada Centre with a bandage on his catching glove hand Thursday, had an MRI taken and it came back negative.

He practised with Canada on Friday but left midway through the session as a precaution.

"I fully expect that Marty will be ready," Team Canada head coach Pat Quinn said after practice Friday.

"Marty has a jammed wrist but it's improving. If it keeps improving like it has today, then he should be fine. But it'll be a game-time decision."

Should Brodeur not be ready, Roberto Luongo of the Florida Panthers would likely start Saturday (CBC, 6:30 p.m. EDT) with Jose Theodore of the Montreal Canadiens as the backup.

Ironically, Luongo was pressed into action against the Czechs during a semifinal game of the 2003 IIHF world championship in Helsinki when Sean Burke was injured. Luongo would later lead Canada to gold.

Brodeur was hurt on a long shot from centre ice with three minutes left in Wednesday's 5-0 quarter-final win over Slovakia.

He skipped Thursday's optional practice, as did many of the veteran players.

"It was late in the game, a long shot that looked harmless but caught him high," Quinn said. "That's the one that did the damage."

On Friday, Brodeur handled the puck in practice and made several glove saves although it appeared most of the Canadian shooters were not aiming their shots to that side.

Defenceman Wade Redden also had his first full practice Friday since injuring his left shoulder in a round-robin game against Slovakia on Sept. 1.

Quinn would not say whether Redden would play Saturday, which likely would come at the expense of 20-year-old defenceman Jay Bouwmeester.
Not liking that! :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom