• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official World Cup of Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

...Canada has been dominating play, but they simply aren't playing well at all. They're playing lazy, pathetic hockey thus far. They should be winning if they could simply play. Finland is playing pretty bad as well, thus it is tied.

Man...it's hard to be excited about a game when they don't seem to want it.

Malakhov

Banned
Don't know what game you were watching but Canada certainly wasn't dominating in the 2nd period, it was pretty much 50/50. Great checking by the fins so far.

IgeL

Indeed... Oh well. Second place is good just as well... somehow this match didn't have the magical feel to it to make me appreciate it either way. Or maybe I'm just getting too old (watching Finland getting beat in important games).

Malakhov

Banned
I'm actually disappointed the Fins havent won, I feel like a traitor. Winning against finland isn't sweet at all, I don't hate them, I like 'em :(

Saturnman

Banned
Malakhov said:
I'm actually disappointed the Fins havent won, I feel like a traitor. Winning against finland isn't sweet at all, I don't hate them, I like 'em :(

As long as the Finns beat the Russians and Swedes, that must be the consolation price for them.

WTF was with the second period? It looked like Ron Maclean himself was carrying out collective bargaining with the players and owners.

Brian Burke presented his CBA plan during the first intermission so I guess McLean was trying to get the NHLPA and NHL's take on it

Malakhov

Banned
Koivu named to the tournament first all-star team, WOOT!

He's the one responsible for my disapointement though. That's only because I wanted Koivu to win this thing. Once again he put up his best and led his team like no one does and brought the freaking fins in the final yet he comes up empty ended once again.

I want him to win a cup or a world tournament before he retires :(

Alucard

Banned
Congrats to our boys for brining it home. :) Really, I still don't fully understand the purpose of the World Cup and don't understand where it fits in between the Olympics and the World Championships. Eh, it doesn't really matter. There was some pretty fine hockey in this tournament.

I'm so happy for Mario. He's been my favourite player since I started watching hockey back in 1990, and to see him cement his place as not only one of the greatest NHL players ever, but as a key member of two international Canadian teams, his legend will grow for years to come.

And Vinny Lecavalier is now one of my favourite players to watch. Wow. What amazing hands that guy has. What class and skill. Respect for Vinny after this tournament +10.

Anyone know of a good site that features good pics from this game?

dem

XPCH125091422_lower.jpg

XPCH126091422_lower.jpg

XPCH121091422_lower.jpg

XPCH116091421_lower.jpg

XPCH109091420_lower.jpg

if you change the _lower.jpg part of the address to 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768.jpg you get big pictures =P

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CANADA CANADA CANADA!!!
WE ROOOOOCCCKKKK!
UGLIEST TROPHY EVER!!!!!!

OH YEAAAA BABY!

pestul

The future of Canadian hockey is a bright one.. so much good young talent. :D

Now.. I hope that wasn't the last professional level game we see for months. :(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't know about the rest of you, but I found it really difficult to watch this tournament final without getting a little choked up about a possible lockout. C'mon guys, get it together!

calder

The CBA jackassery really hurt the buzz and excitement of the WC. I'm really bummed about thinking how much fun I was going to have in my yahoo hockey league with my friends and family now that we have 15 guys really eager to go into a keeper league. And the way the lockout will hurt the game short term so badly.

But really in the end I'm still so fatalistic about how the two sides need to both lose a shitload of money before they can even begin to fix the game part of me is happy it's starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom