• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment May Be Working on Yet Another Unannounced AAA RPG

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A job listing states that Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a World Builder to work on its "next major RPG," with other corroborating info suggesting that production on this project began a year ago or so. That's not much to go on, so it's clear whatever this is, it's in the earliest stages. Many have questioned if this could reference Avowed or The Outer Worlds 2, especially since the latter's self-aware trailer implied it was in early development, but that's not the case. First off, The Outer Worlds 2's development began sooner than the trailer implied, going back to 2019. And on top of that, Josh Sawyer has previously stated that Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 are playable.

Into my viens. I like the idea of a more focused AA style games with AAA support their doing. Keeps the content flowing and let other teams like Bethesda do the huge 5 year+ AAA. Let’s see how these turn out. Grounded was a success for its audience. Let’s see if pentiment is a success for mines then avowed.

anthony2690

Banned
My thought as well. They’re already doing Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2, both big RPGs. Then there is Grounded and Pentiment too, smaller games but still need talented people.
"Quick recap of Obsidian team (280+ employees): Avowed 80, ToW 80, Pentiment 13, Grounded 13, New Unannounced AAA RPG 80."

According to some commenter on the Reddit thread where this popped up prior to this article, so could be nonsense.

"Quick recap of Obsidian team (280+ employees): Avowed 80, ToW 80, Pentiment 13, Grounded 13, New Unannounced AAA RPG 80."

According to some commenter on the Reddit thread where this popped up prior to this article, so could be nonsense.

13 people made Grounded?? LMAO.

It's up there in GOTY list for me this year. Exploring backyard feels surreal. Puts some AAA productions to shame.

Last edited:

reksveks

LinkedIn numbers was 284 so 280-300 is about right

Fredrik

😳 they’re far bigger than I thought they were

Spin up Studio Vault-Tec with talent from all over to make spin-off Fallout games. This is too valuable an asset for my to be near 50 for Fallout 5.

GymWolf

If spreading their team into 3843638 projects gives me genre defining pieces of mediocrity like the outer world, i'm okay with that.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

they should slow the fuck down , they can barely finish one AAA game and they want to start another one ? its been 2 years since we heard anything about avowed , instead of starting a new game put all those people to work on your curent projects

Roberts

I don't want to choose favourites and MS has some amazing studios under their belt, but right now Obsidian is the one that seems to be the most productive. I really hope Pentiment kicks my ass real hard. Can't wait.

Barlow

We could read "Next Major RPG" years ago when neither Avowed nor TOW 2 were announced.

That's just a copy & paste text.

Laptop1991

All sound's great, but at this point i'm just waiting for 1 of them to actually come out, i'd rarther be playing one of them and waiting for the other's instead of constant new announcements of more games with no actual game out.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Avowed cancelled confirmed.
unknown.png

they should slow the fuck down , they can barely finish one AAA game and they want to start another one ? its been 2 years since we heard anything about avowed , instead of starting a new game put all those people to work on your curent projects
Just released Grounded and Pentiment is out soon. What AAA game have they barely finished 🤔?

Top Bottom