• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Subway Stays #1 - track fire stalls A, B, C, D line service

In the year I've lived in NYC, I've never taken a subway past 11pm at night—BUT I really enjoy/appreciate the "safety net" of knowing I won't get stuck somewhere with no way to get home.

Vox did a really good piece on NYC Subway delays which is worth a read: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/11/15949284/new-york-subway-crisis

Yeah, I kind of get that, but even if you're out really late and need to get home, you can hail a taxi or call an Uber. I've never felt completely safe while on the subway after midnight, especially while alone.

n0razi

If I lived in NYC I would probably just cough up the $1000 for a boosted board or equivalent and avoid the sub/cars/bikes

boostedboards.gif

RLh3LyG.gif

xyEB1lv.gif

883773407558082882.gif

If I lived in NYC I would probably just cough up the $1000 for a boosted board or equivalent and avoid the sub/cars/bikes

Boosted Board has a shitty ass 5-7 mile range. If your commute is 3 miles, you can just walk.

Bicycle is a much better real world solution. You can put a small folding bike in a bag.

MTA workers clean tracks overnight, every night.

Not enough payroll in the world to clean every single station though. Be fair.
As an MTA employee for the last 23 years, all I can do is smile at how cute some of these theories are being posted. People truly have no clue what it entails to maintain a train system of NYC size, especially one that runs 24/7. Workers literally die doing this shit; don't vent your anger at the hourly trying to get through the day, focus it on management making shit decisions that screw over customer and workers alike.

As an MTA employee for the last 23 years, all I can do is smile at how cute some of these theories are being posted. People truly have no clue what it entails to maintain a train system of NYC size, especially one that runs 24/7. Workers literally die doing this shit; don't vent your anger at the hourly trying to get through the day, focus it on management making shit decisions that screw over customer and workers alike.

Do you have a valid explanation on why is there no double door to prevent garbage (and accidental fall into the track)?

Davidion

What is a double door? Are you talking about train cars?

They're talking about separating all of the platforms in the system from the track with barriers, like this:

800px-Westminster.tube.station.jubilee.arp.jpg

I think it's all kinds of preposterous given the scale, cost, and the inconsistencies in how NYC subway stations are designed, but I don't have the domain knowledge to say. (your cue either way)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What a fucking joke.

It appears this morning's commute-snarling track fire was so popular, the MTA has gifted us with an evening sequel. As of 5:30 p.m., there are widespread problems on the subway, with 4, 5, 6, 7, A, C, E, N, R and W trains experiencing delays. And it's still early!

The 7 train is experiencing signal problems, as is the E; C trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle thanks to switch problems, and FDNY activity at Lexington-63 St has caused backups on the N, Q and R trains. There's also a sick customer at 96 St on the East Side, so 6 trains are running with delays. The MTA's website shows good service on the B, D, F, M, J, Z, Q, L, 1, 2, 3, and G lines, but Murphy's Law suggests at least four of those lines will drop you off in the wrong borough by the end of the day.

Are you tired? I am very tired.

BrYtoPl.jpg

jMsmSVI.jpg

They're talking about separating all of the platforms in the system from the track with barriers, like this:

I think it's all kinds of preposterous given the scale, cost, and the inconsistencies in how NYC subway stations are designed, but I don't have the domain knowledge to say. (your cue either way)

Well, there you go! Imagine the price of a train ride trying to install this system at every station. You answered that question perfectly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There is no way they can afford that shit.

Why not do what Europe does? Shut the trains down at night for maintenance.

they do this already, my line the R has three stations shut down for six months to completely renovate them.

Because shutting down specific lines during the weekend and inconveniencing everyone instead of the creepos who ride the subway late at night is clearly a better solution.

so us people that work second and third shift are weirdoes now? no sympathy for you morning commuters then. love my afternoon to night shift, it's awesome.

Shutting it down over night doesn't allow them to install signals at the speed they need to. It always them to do patch work.

We're going to need to do full shutdowns on portions. Especially in Manhattan.

as stated earlier, they are starting to do with the R line and the L line.

"throw garbage everywhere"?

these hyperboles are so insane i feel like i'm insane.

it's the truth.

But people were saying in another thread recently that New York garbage people deserve 6-figure salaries because their job is so hard.

If stuff like that is happening, they're not doing their job.

You're literally in a thread about a train track area catching fire because there was too much garbage on it.

sanitation people don't work in the subway. they have ten times the workload that MTA sanitation people do.

Subway is dumpster fire. I couldn't even get on a train in grand central yesterday. Had to take opposite direction to time square and take the train back in order to get in the 7.

Wasted me 30 minutes.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Really? Die?

The most I've seen MTA workers do on the #7 train before the 34th street stop opened was 2 places they were stationed

1 at each end, Flushing stop and 42/Times Square, most have a brush and garbage can on wheels
All they do is pickup whatever they can reach within their sight, not look under the benches, just sweep casually and pick up the odd paper or scrap here and there

You see them miss all the cups of half coffee or newspaper underneath, then train starts spillage and paper start flying
Then you get mess on mess, then when you get to Times Square it's the same thing
The other side hopes the other side cleans up for them, so nothing gets done, do bare minimum

Then meet by the middle train area and they chat for 5-7 minutes till next train arrives, repeat

Pagusas

Elden Member
Me and my sister were visiting NYC from the SFBay a few weeks ago and we were appalled by the amount of trash everywhere. Sure, SF may smell like pee in some areas, but at least we don't have trash covering the streets.
My first (and hopefully last) trip to NYC made me feel completely disgusted with humanity. The people there are living like pigs, trash and stench everywhere. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy living there.

It's like visiting a friends house and walking in to trash everywhere and the over powering smell of a backed up toilet.

Socivol

The NYC subway is disgusting and full of trash which I don't understand since there are trash can on the platforms. I was so paranoid of a rat walking on the train. There were so many rats down there just living their best lives and completely unphased by humans. It was gross.

The NYC subway is disgusting and full of trash which I don't understand since there are trash can on the platforms. I was so paranoid of a rat walking on the train. There were so many rats down there just living their best lives and completely unphased by humans. It was gross.

Lol, been here for years and have yet to see a rat get on a train. They usually just stay by the tracks. Though apparently it happens based on all those youtube vids. As for the filth, it's what happens when you mix apathetic people and refuse to maintain the older stations.

Really? Die?

The most I've seen MTA workers do on the #7 train before the 34th street stop opened was 2 places they were stationed

1 at each end, Flushing stop and 42/Times Square, most have a brush and garbage can on wheels
All they do is pickup whatever they can reach within their sight, not look under the benches, just sweep casually and pick up the odd paper or scrap here and there

You see them miss all the cups of half coffee or newspaper underneath, then train starts spillage and paper start flying
Then you get mess on mess, then when you get to Times Square it's the same thing
The other side hopes the other side cleans up for them, so nothing gets done, do bare minimum

Then meet by the middle train area and they chat for 5-7 minutes till next train arrives, repeat
Here we go with the "MTA workers don't do shit" nonsense. I've had 3 close friends get killed just going to set out flagging lights to clean or repair tracks, so I find your post highly offensive and insensitive. You clearly have no idea of what the job entails, but please, go on and enlighten me further!

Ovid

Rats as big as cats.

Literally.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My first (and hopefully last) trip to NYC made me feel completely disgusted with humanity. The people there are living like pigs, trash and stench everywhere. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy living there.

It's like visiting a friends house and walking in to trash everywhere and the over powering smell of a backup up toilet.

John Rocker is that you??

Socivol

Lol, been here for years and have yet to see a rat get on a train. They usually just stay by the tracks. Though apparently it happens based on all those youtube vids. As for the filth, it's what happens when you mix apathetic people and refuse to maintain the older stations.

I didn't see one but I was paranoid as hell. There are so many rats in NYC. I live in Chicago and have been here three years and have only seen 3 rats. I don't know how New Yorkers do it. I feel bad for you guys those we complain about the CTA but it's very rarely just fucked up like it seems the MTA is.

Marvie_3

Banned
Ive only seen one on the platform. Never on the actual train.

I dont actually know who that is. Someone who hates NYC I assume?

Former Boston Red Socks pitcher who said some ignorant, stupid shit.

John Rocker, you may recall, is the former Atlanta Braves pitcher who famously said in 1999 that riding on the 7 train to Shea Stadium was "depressing" because it's "like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids."

Your comment wasn't as bad, but I can see the relation.

It's like visiting a friends house and walking in to trash everywhere and the over powering smell of a backed up toilet.
Hmmm, go on. I'm interested in learning about this trash heap that is New York.

tumblr_mh53ch6Q5m1rdutw3o1_400.gif

Staten Island isn't THAT bad, jeez.

CHC

lol

Not even close to accurate. Did you eat the food here? Go to the museums? Look at the incredible architecture? Notice the diverse and interesting people walking around? Go to the beautiful parks?

Come on, man, put a little effort in.

Gallbaro

Banned
Here we go with the "MTA workers don't do shit" nonsense. I've had 3 close friends get killed just going to set out flagging lights to clean or repair tracks, so I find your post highly offensive and insensitive. You clearly have no idea of what the job entails, but please, go on and enlighten me further!
MTA operations as well as the contractors performing the construction on the capital side ARE low productivity, the expenditure numbers do not lie when compared with peers.

Now you cannot blame the labour for that, it is in your self interest. The fault is on politicians and the legal structure of the MTA for enabling that low productivity by refusing the negotiate for labor flexibility and work rule reform. There is no legitimate reason why NYC cannot have labour as productive as Tokyo's and per KM construction as cheap as London. I would rather spend the same we spend now and have 5km of new Subway built, rather the 1km we get.

Way back when I went through track training, it really is 3 guys watching one guy work.

Also to the other posts about platform doors, the reason MTA does not have them it's because the geniuses in their engineering department do not want to limit their choice on future rolling stock, by dictating where the doors must be.

Further we flat out design our subways the dumbest way possible, even with Second Avenue Subway. We insist on the ridiculous notion that the lines merge and diverge, rather than just terminating lines and having cross platform transfers a la Paris. When have lines merge and diverge that introduces switches and signals that break and now delay multiple lines. Granted we cannot go back in time and change this, but 2 Ave should have been a shuttle service until the rest of it gets built (lol).

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

We need less idiots in this city, anyway, so yes, stay as far away as you can.

Tehalemi

With how blistering hot and crowded (compared to some other hot and crowded stations in the city) I remember it always getting at 51st St. Station on the 6 line, they should just convert it to a legit sauna complex. With this delay...jesus I can't even imagine. ;___;

This is so fucking far from the truth LOLOL. Gaf Hyperbole on a new scale.

lol

Not even close to accurate. Did you eat the food here? Go to the museums? Look at the incredible architecture? Notice the diverse and interesting people walking around? Go to the beautiful parks?

Come on, man, put a little effort in.

This is so fucking far from the truth LOLOL. Gaf Hyperbole on a new scale.

If you read their post as Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore, it all starts making sense.

Damn you New Yorkers, go back to your shanties!

Yea I never put the blame for a problem this bad on MTA workers or workers in general for any job. It has to be mistakes made from the top.

Anyway, I'm fortunate I haven't had any issue with my commute this summer.

Gallbaro

Banned
So rather than fix the MTA Cuomo, and his friends, is once again beginning to posture that the city needs to contribute more revenue to the MTA (so they can light in on fire, as they do). So end game fuckface Cuomo is pointing the finger at the city saying it is the cities fault and fabricating lies about who runs the fucking thing. No one is going to put the political capital in to fix this turd.

Lhota had a very strange press conference today going over the history of the MTA, back to 1953, about how to state "leases" the subway from the city and it is the city's responsibility to pay for it. A "contractual and statutory obligation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhcedwyMzvw

Fucking TWU 100 is already gearing up in support.

These fucking pieces of shit. On top of individual fairs, every household pays in the city pays another $120 each month in dedicated taxes to fund the MTA to the STATE.

As horribly as the subway is run the commuter railroads require an even larger subsidy. Not the mention the city is the net contributor to the state general fund.

Edit: One last doc on funding sources for MTA. http://comptroller.nyc.gov/wp-content/uploads/documents/MTA_Report_Invisible_Fare.pdf

Fuck you Democratic Trump.

I didn't see one but I was paranoid as hell. There are so many rats in NYC. I live in Chicago and have been here three years and have only seen 3 rats. I don't know how New Yorkers do it. I feel bad for you guys those we complain about the CTA but it's very rarely just fucked up like it seems the MTA is.

Not having piles of garbage on the sidewalk might be a good start for the rat problem, but I heard it's a union thing that they don't use trash bins there.

Why is it that Tokyo's train system runs so efficiently when it is much bigger than NYC's?

Marvie_3

Banned
So rather than fix the MTA Cuomo, and his friends, is once again beginning to posture that the city needs to contribute more revenue to the MTA (so they can light in on fire, as they do). So end game fuckface Cuomo is pointing the finger at the city saying it is the cities fault and fabricating lies about who runs the fucking thing. No one is going to put the political capital in to fix this turd.

Lhota had a very strange press conference today going over the history of the MTA, back to 1953, about how to state "leases" the subway from the city and it is the city's responsibility to pay for it. A "contractual and statutory obligation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhcedwyMzvw

Fucking TWU 100 is already gearing up in support.

These fucking pieces of shit. On top of individual fairs, every household pays in the city pays another $120 each month in dedicated taxes to fund the MTA to the STATE.

As horribly as the subway is run the commuter railroads require an even larger subsidy. Not the mention the city is the net contributor to the state general fund.
Can we start having commuter riots and protests now?

Top Bottom