• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After nearly a century of delays, Second Ave Subway line set to open in NYC on Jan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. itshappening.gif

68u62TR.gif

After nearly a century of delays and disappointment, the first phase of the Second Avenue subway is finally opening to the public on Jan. 1, officials at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said on Monday.

Trains will begin to run on the new line at noon on Jan. 1, 2017, the authority said in a statement. At an event to reveal the artwork at the new stations, the authority’s chairman, Thomas F. Prendergast, invited the crowd to ride the line on opening day.

The new subway route is an extension of the Q line, which currently ends near the southern edge of Central Park at 57th Street and Seventh Avenue. Starting in January, Q trains will travel to an upgraded station at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street and to three new stations at 72nd, 86th and 96th Streets.

Planning for a Second Avenue subway line has advanced in fits and starts for decades. The first phase to 96th Street, which cost about $4.4 billion, will be the most ambitious expansion of New York City’s subway system in a half-century.

Over the weekend, the Second Avenue stations began to appear on subway maps on trains in New York City. The first phase is expected to initially carry about 200,000 riders each day and will ease overcrowding on the crowded No. 4, 5, and 6 lines along Lexington Avenue, officials said.

The authority is in the initial planning stages for the second phase of the line, which would extend it to 125th Street in Harlem. But the project will cost billions of dollars and take years to build, and plans to extend the line south to Lower Manhattan are less certain.

Officials first announced plans for a Second Avenue line in 1929, but the Great Depression halted that effort. In another push in the 1970s, several groundbreakings were held, but the work was stopped when the city nearly went bankrupt. The latest campaign began in the 1990s, and construction began again in 2007.

Some of the artwork featured in the stations:

Pau

I live on second avenue and I have a hard time believing it'll actually open before we move in April. :p

Guevara

On the one hand, this is awesome and going to greatly help the UES commute. The 4/5/6 has been a shitshow forever.

On the other, lot of fanfare for 3 additional stations added to an existing line. The way it sounds, you'd expect a full new line down 2nd ave.

Edit, which will someday look like this:

278px-Second_Avenue_Subway_Map_vc.jpg

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
On the other, lot of fanfare for 3 additional stations added to an existing line. The way it sounds, you'd expect a full new line down 2nd ave.

It's a start at least to get to the T line which will go all the way down to Chinatown under 2nd...

This was phase 1, Phase 2 actually goes north up to 125th

sas_map_lg.gif

Crazy that this is finally happening. This should cut 15 minutes off of my commute every morning. They've been working on the stations from like 6 am to 2 am every day, really going in overdrive to make sure everything is open before the 1st.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
As someone that works in the construction industry for a major player in NYC, I hate to see the cynicism from people on the sideline. There is a LOT involved separate from just building the thing. There is a lot of engineering that goes on, problems that are constantly encountered, a lot of infrastructure work etc. This is honestly a monumental feat.

That said, I am excited to one day try it and am very happy as a person that used the 4/5/6 everyday that there will be some congestion relief. A connecting tunnel at 125th street (as it looks like with phase 2) is cool but they should connect it down low as well, say at 63rd or 59th.

Phase 3 is going to be a shit show for drivers. Once you get anywhere near the 59th street bridge to just past the midtown tunnel, 2nd ave is a parking lot.

Here I am waiting for a goddamn line to connect me from Queens to Brooklyn...

I guess I'll be riding the shit out of it when I'm 96.

As someone that works in the construction industry for a major player in NYC, I hate to see the cynicism from people on the sideline. There is a LOT involved separate from just building the thing. There is a lot of engineering that goes on, problems that are constantly encountered, a lot of infrastructure work etc. This is honestly a monumental feat.

That said, I am excited to one day try it and am very happy as a person that used the 4/5/6 everyday that there will be some congestion relief. A connecting tunnel at 125th street (as it looks like with phase 2) is cool but they should connect it down low as well, say at 63rd or 59th.

Phase 3 is going to be a shit show for drivers. Once you get anywhere near the 59th street bridge to just past the midtown tunnel, 2nd ave is a parking lot.

it's not the engineering we're complaining about, it's the fact that when times where good, from the mid 40s to the 60s, they could have found the money for this. the started in the 90s but went nowhere. why? why did it take another 20 years to find the money? and it's not because they're broke, I dont want hear that.

Seigyoku

As someone who lived on 103rd and 2nd... grrr.

GRRRRRRRRR.

Also don't know what the hell they are doing with the Queens-Midtown tunnel ATM but it's been turning traffic on 2nd and 3rd into a total shitshow between like 42nd and 33rd or so.

Cars are dumb.

it's not the engineering we're complaining about, it's the fact that when times where good, from the mid 40s to the 60s, they could have found the money for this.

You do remember when NYC went bankrupt in the 70s right? Then the whole 9/11 episode. Not exactly like the city has been swimming in cash and no problems since the "times were good".

Jag

Used to take the 4/5/6 and the Q when I lived uptown. Q was nice, Lex line was a nightmare. This was being discussed even back then. Can't believe it is finally happening.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
...3 stops? I live near Columbia on the west side, so I'll probably never use that. I always imagined the 2nd Ave line was a full length line. Not...3 stops.

Good for the folks in that part of town though, I'm sure. I know it's going to cut the commute of a former coworker of mine significantly.

Eh. In a per mileage basis this will be by far the most expensive subway ever built. Which is simply ridiculous when they are building entire subway systems for about the same cost in some cities. And NYC is not anymore complicated to build in than cities in Europe yet they build subway lines like these every decade for a fraction of the cost.

The NY construction industry is simply one of the most inefficient out there, and this is coming from someone who's worked in there for a bunch of years in the past as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
...3 stops? I live near Columbia on the west side, so I'll probably never use that. I always imagined the 2nd Ave line was a full length line. Not...3 stops.

Good for the folks in that part of town though, I'm sure. I know it's going to cut the commute of a former coworker of mine significantly.

This is just the phase 1 on the construction. When/if phase 2-4 are finished, it will be a full length line.

NimbusD

I live on second avenue and I have a hard time believing it'll actually open before we move in April. :p
Moved two years ago to Astoria from yes. Would have been right on top of one of the subway lines ugh. Part of the reason I moved was terrible public transportation. Citibike sped up ues plans as soon as I moved and pushed back Astorias plans.

Astorias pretty bad in its own right w public transportation but at least citibike finally seems to be making headway.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The NY construction industry is simply one of the most inefficient out there, and this is coming from someone who's worked in there for a bunch of years in the past as well.

Some say inefficient, some say corrupt as fuck.The amount of people you need to pay and the palms you need to grease to even pour concrete in this city is crazy. Cosa Nostra still well and alive.

Huh, and we joked about Warsaw tunnel trains being built slowly. Granted, New York City has more than one line already, but still.

Some say inefficient, some say corrupt as fuck.The amount of people you need to pay and the palms you need to grease to even pour concrete in this city is crazy. Cosa Nostra still well and alive.

Corruption, influence from organized crime, archaic union work rules designed a century ago, lack of competition during bidding, stupid laws, stupid processes, too much bureaucracy, poor management from government agencies, no desire to innovate or change what doesn't work, etc., etc.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Corruption, influence from organized crime, archaic union work rules designed a century ago, lack of competition during bidding, stupid laws, stupid processes, too much bureaucracy, poor management from government agencies, no desire to innovate or change what doesn't work, etc., etc.

Amen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
When are the other phases scheduled? That T line is badly needed.

Phase 2 construction probably won't start until 2020. No funding yet for Phase 3 or 4.

It is interesting they are giving themselves options to expand the line/tunnel into Bx/Bk.

Schmitty

Phase 2 construction probably won't start until 2020. No funding yet for Phase 3 or 4.

It is interesting they are giving themselves options to expand the line/tunnel into Bx/Bk.
Wow not even starting until 2020? That is terribly slow.

The combination of autonomous vehicles (cars AND buses) and ride sharing becoming more prevalent, efficient and affordable options means that be the time Phase 2 is completed, the subway may basically be outdated or even obsolete mode of transportation. Just think about that...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The combination of autonomous vehicles (cars AND buses) and ride sharing becoming more prevalent and affordable options means that be the time Phase 2 is completed, the subway may basically be outdated or even obsolete mode of transportation. Just think about that...

LOLOLOLOL

Have you ever seen Manhattan traffic? Saying the subway is going to be made obsolete by ridesharing and buses is crazytalk.

entremet

Thank God!

The 4/5/6 are crowded AF at rush hour and I'm in the Harlem 125 Station, which is a total shitshow in rush hour.

I hate that station too. People are way too slow during rush hour.

LOLOLOLOL

Have you ever seen Manhattan traffic? Saying the subway is going to be made obsolete by ridesharing and buses is crazytalk.

Autonomous vehicles are supposed to increase road capacity eventually by 250-300%, and make bus lanes actually viable, so no, not really.

And yes, I see Manhattan traffic every day.

And FYI - NYC subway ridership has actually fallen for the first time this year since the Great Recession, and that's attributed to increased use of alternative modes of transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom