• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After nearly a century of delays, Second Ave Subway line set to open in NYC on Jan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Autonomous vehicles are supposed to increase road capacity by 250-300%, and make bus lanes actually viable, so no, not really.

And yes, I see Manhattan traffic every day.

Dude, this is a city of like 6 million and more come in from the suburbs every day for work. The subways are always packed to hell during rush hour and the bridges and tunnels are always a shitshow. Throwing the millions who use the subways on the roads is just going to destroy whatever capacity would be created by these cars.

The subway ain't going nowhere. Autonomous cars and shit might make the roads a bit less congested, but there's no way it gets rid of the need for the subway.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
65JRzUI.jpg

"Challenge accepted."

The DRL is approaching 100 years already

Watch out New York, we coming for you

Seigyoku

Autonomous vehicles are supposed to increase road capacity eventually by 250-300%, and make bus lanes actually viable, so no, not really.

And FYI - NYC subway ridership has actually fallen for the first time this year since the Great Recession, and that's attributed to increased use of alternative modes of transportation.

Dude, I have driven across the entire country in a stupid moving van. I've dealt with Texas drivers that are likely to kill me, and LA traffic which is a world onto itself. I spent less than 10 minutes trying to drive in NYC before I triple parked the damn truck and screamed at my mother that she was going to find some student of hers to move the truck because I was NEVER driving in NYC again. And then last year because of my broken ankle I had to take cabs and such everywhere because I STAIRS == DEATH. Even with all the new competition, not cheap. Yeah, it's gonna take a lot more than just ride-sharing and autonomous cars to kill the subway. Manhattan just is NOT designed for cars.

Dude, I have driven across the entire country in a stupid moving van. I've dealt with Texas drivers that are likely to kill me, and LA traffic which is a world onto itself. I spent less than 10 minutes trying to drive in NYC before I triple parked the damn truck and screamed at my mother that she was going to find some student of hers to move the truck because I was NEVER driving in NYC again. And then last year because of my broken ankle I had to take cabs and such everywhere because I STAIRS == DEATH. Even with all the new competition, not cheap. Yeah, it's gonna take a lot more than just ride-sharing and autonomous cars to kill the subway. Manhattan just is NOT designed for cars.

I drive in Manhattan all the time - and yes, it's hazardous and stressful, but that's why autonomous vehicles are supposed to help things in a significant way by eliminating congestion and accidents.

Not to mention the outer boroughs and suburbs will be opened up once transportation to those places actually become more feasible, so there may be less need to travel into Manhattan.

Nah. That's a lot of optimism on your part.

You're like those cab drivers in NY who didn't see Uber coming.

aerts1js

I absolutely despise taking the f train from queens to work everyday. It's honestly the worst form of public transportation I've ever used. If I had some sort of viable second option I'd ditch the subway in a heartbeat.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Now if only they had added the midpoint stop on the extension to Hudson yards on the 7.

I absolutely despise taking the f train from queens to work everyday. It's honestly the worst form of public transportation I've ever used. If I had some sort of viable second option I'd ditch the subway in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it's going to get worse since the 2nd ave riders will switch at 63rd/Lex, while no one really gets out there.

I used to commute from Jackson Heights on the F to DUMBO. Glad to take the 7 to midtown nowadays.

Now if only they had added the midpoint stop on the extension to Hudson yards on the 7.

Totally unproductive here but can I just say this:

FUCK THE 7 RIGHT IN THE FACE

There. I regularly have to catch the R to 7 to Long Island City on weekends and I hate few things more than the 7 train.

Peltz

I hope this means my property value will increase. What sort of percentage jump could people in the UES expect? I live between first and second right near one of the stops.

I love LA, but I would like to live in NYC for a while.

I froze my nuts off last week. Stay in LA.

I drive in Manhattan all the time - and yes, it's hazardous and stressful, but that's why autonomous vehicles are supposed to help things in a significant way by eliminating congestion and accidents.

Not to mention the outer boroughs and suburbs will be opened up once transportation to those places actually become more feasible, so there may be less need to travel into Manhattan.

You're like those cab drivers in NY who didn't see Uber coming.

Did Uber reduce congestion?

Hint:
no

I did a ton of work on that project, installed a lot of tracks. I thought us track workers were crazy, but those sand hogs are nuts! They know how to party too.

spiritfox

Autonomous vehicles are supposed to increase road capacity eventually by 250-300%, and make bus lanes actually viable, so no, not really.

And FYI - NYC subway ridership has actually fallen for the first time this year since the Great Recession, and that's attributed to increased use of alternative modes of transportation.

Autonomous vehicles should reduce congestion IF they were actually used as rideshares rather than a 1:1 replacement for private vehicles on the street right now. In fact, it'll increase congestion in the latter scenario, with empty vehicles on the street rather than parked in a carpark. If the auto manufacturers have their way, we'll see that happening. Mass transit is still the most efficient way to move people in densely populated areas like Manhattan.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So for the people who don't live in NYC, why did it take almost a century?

It is in the OP:

Officials first announced plans for a Second Avenue line in 1929, but the Great Depression halted that effort. In another push in the 1970s, several groundbreakings were held, but the work was stopped when the city nearly went bankrupt. The latest campaign began in the 1990s, and construction began again in 2007.

If you want a bit more detail, read this article.

Kamek

UES winning. Meanwhile us poverty ass A train riders suffering like fuck in brooklyn/queens.

Transit deserts out here. No seat at 6 am three stops in from the first stop. Fuck this shit.

Mii

Banned
We had to get back to subway building again at some point. Hopefully something has been learned between this, the Oculus/Fulton Center, the 7 extension, and the east side access.

To the city's credit, a lot of projects have come online in the last 2 years, but we still need to be cutting costs of these projects. No excuse when Europe can do these at half the time and a fourth the cost.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
What most non New Yorkers wouldn't Know is the W line started a few months ago so this is the second line in less than a year.

With that said as a avid train rider I can't wait to check it out.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
What most non New Yorkers wouldn't Know is the W line started a few months ago so this is the second line in less than a year.

To be fair the W is only back in preparation for the 2nd Ave extension that is Phase 1.

numble

The W line is just an old line that was cut due to budget problems, its not really a new line. It also doesn't serve any new areas, it is just an overlay over existing tunnels that can be accessed on other lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom