• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

Never, I have had a very, very busy start to 2021 and 2020 ended. But now that IGN is on track I am getting a routine on for my channel and them. All being well a new video will be on my channel later today.
I am very happy for you because you clearly deserved that exposure. Now I have a remark about the framerate analysis that you did on your IGN videos. The main framerate line goes too fast and we don't actually see the drops if they are small. Maybe you could slow it a little and show a smaller delta (30 to 60). I mean in the performance mode the game nevers goes under 30.

Last edited:

onesvenus

It's not a PS5 bug. It's reflecting on two surfaces as it should. And that was missing in both xsex and pc version.
But it is a bug. Two reflective surfaces an inch away do not reflect like that, you only need to observe the reality.
In addition to that, the are multiple posts in this thread showing you how the Xbox and PC versions also have the double reflections, which are different than the ones in the PS5 because those are correctly representing how reflections work in real life.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Never, I have had a very, very busy start to 2021 and 2020 ended. But now that IGN is on track I am getting a routine on for my channel and them. All being well a new video will be on my channel later today.
Excellent news. Congratulations on this gig. Always liked your videos!

One suggestion: Consider introducing segments in your videos (resolution, frame rates, loading times, dualsense implementation review, etc) for easy viewing. Dividing your content into groups may help us compartmentalize and consume the information easily. And if videos can be based on a template like this, it can help with consistency as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But it is a bug. Two reflective surfaces an inch away do not reflect like that, you only need to observe the reality.
In addition to that, the are multiple posts in this thread showing you how the Xbox and PC versions also have the double reflections, which are different than the ones in the PS5 because those are correctly representing how reflections work in real life.

How did you come up with this 1" distance between the glass and the metal reflections? I can go and check it out on my PS5 if I know where to go to find it and go inside that office and check it out.

Last edited:
You've been calling me a fanboy then now retarded. Seems like you still need some years to grow up.

I know, I got you cornered. Next time don't go straight from level 1 to level 99 boss.

star trek deal with it GIF

Sad Baby GIF

Shmunter

Reflections completely disappearing on XsX depending on angle is far from supporting accuracy in this department.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How did you come up with this 1" distance between the glass and the metal reflections? I can go and check it out on my PS5 if I know where to go to find it and go inside that office and check it out.

I found it, it's in the Executive Sector, Central Executive. Yes, the distance is like 2" max yet the reflections are like ~6" apart on PS5. It's inaccurate distance-wise, yet on Xbox SX it's too confusing that the metal reflection had to run away with no glass reflection. Dodgy reflection. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

gif.gif

gif-2.gif

Gifs by Finem Orientis Finem Orientis

Last edited:
No goal post movement, he did said "maybe", but "is holding 60fps" that reference was from the photo mode I've sent to you. Also how about you screen grab when he said XSX dips to low 40's?
So either NXGamer NXGamer is wrong(he's not) or this incredibly dynamic game is hard to actually get like for like fights and that could sway results either way since they are actually very very close in performance.

NXGamer NXGamer what are your thoughts to Xbox is straight PC port and retains the PC stutters seen because of that? People have shown much much better processors having stutter on PC as well. The PC version plays on a regular old HDD so maybe code is not optimized for SSD only. Since you can't straight port PC to ps5 maybe instead of compression it was actually just changed to only work on SSD. This would explain why PC and Xbox are basically exactly the same size, both have the same streaming stutters, and RT behaves the same on both while ps5 behaves differently(the weird staggered double reflections).

Also side note. CPU usage on PC during photo mode looked very similar to gameplay with a single core taking most of the load. People here are saying photo mode doesn't use cpu basically at all but on PC in your video you can see it does and it's quite similar to gameplay. Xbox also has hardware decompression but behaves exactly as PC. I feel like there are too many assumptions going on here and for some reason those assumptions which only work if you assume all other assumptions are incorrect are being taken as gospel instead of just being interesting taking points.

I found it, it's in the Executive Sector, Central Executive. Yes, the distance is like 2" max yet the reflections are like ~6" apart on PS5. It's inaccurate distance-wise, yet on Xbox SX it's too confusing that the metal reflection had to run away with no glass reflection. Dodgy reflection. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

gif.gif

gif-2.gif

At 4:10 in the video it shows Xbox not bugging out and looking more accurate then ps5.

gif.gif

gif-2.gif

You can recognize that the reflexions on XsX are the most funniest ones :D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Looking at that gif, is a bug?

At 4:10 in the video it shows Xbox not bugging out and looking more accurate then ps5.

Both are bugged, probably something to do with how reflection is mapped. XSX only showing the metal reflection out of the two, PS5 showing both being 6" apart while they should be something like 2". XSX gets confused and the metal reflection runs away then the system goes to SSR/baked reflections.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The double reflections thing is totally wrong and he could have checked in like 5 seconds if he went around the other side of the pillar. I just checked on PC and PS5 (don't have XSX version) and it's obvious the PS5 is reflecting one of the reflections in totally the wrong place giving the impression of two distinct reflections while the PC is showing both reflections in what looks like should be the correct place (the two surfaces are about an inch apart not a foot apart).

Receipts below from PC.

Around the side of the video where the glass is in front of the pillar - two reflections the clearer one to the left:
XTt6VyE.jpg

Around the other side where there is no glass just one blurry reflection:
avBrCzr.jpg

Yes, I'm on that spot on my PS5 now and the reflection is like 2-3x times apart from the accurate thing. PC has the most accurate one. XSX showing one out of the two, then gets glitched.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Now I know how the Switch crew feel when a game is ported to there consoles...damn this is rough.

Last edited:

martino

i did a capture in the same room with my intel cpu...there is some spike at 70+% in fight not lasting (but cpu is also used to compress the video with afterburner)
it's a nearly 2go video and in don't know where to upload that. any place where it's possible without an account ?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i did a capture in the same room with my intel cpu...there is some spike at 70+% in fight not lasting (but cpu is also used to compress the video with afterburner)
it's a nearly 2go video and in don't know where to upload that. any place where it's possible without an account ?

It seems like even in gameplay the workload isn't spread evenly on PC CPU's, which most likely the same on consoles. So we should expect better performance from future titles, I guess.

Both are bugged, probably something to do with how reflection is mapped. XSX only showing the metal reflection out of the two, PS5 showing both being 6" apart while they should be something like 2". XSX gets confused and the metal reflection runs away then the system goes to SSR/baked reflections.
sorry was looking on my phone and didnt notice. This is correct thou. So lets agree that using as scene where both consoles seem to be bugged in some way is probably not the best for comparison.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So either NXGamer NXGamer is wrong(he's not) or this incredibly dynamic game is hard to actually get like for like fights and that could sway results either way since they are actually very very close in performance.

NXGamer NXGamer what are your thoughts to Xbox is straight PC port and retains the PC stutters seen because of that? People have shown much much better processors having stutter on PC as well. The PC version plays on a regular old HDD so maybe code is not optimized for SSD only. Since you can't straight port PC to ps5 maybe instead of compression it was actually just changed to only work on SSD. This would explain why PC and Xbox are basically exactly the same size, both have the same streaming stutters, and RT behaves the same on both while ps5 behaves differently(the weird staggered double reflections).

Also side note. CPU usage on PC during photo mode looked very similar to gameplay with a single core taking most of the load. People here are saying photo mode doesn't use cpu basically at all but on PC in your video you can see it does and it's quite similar to gameplay. Xbox also has hardware decompression but behaves exactly as PC. I feel like there are too many assumptions going on here and for some reason those assumptions which only work if you assume all other assumptions are incorrect are being taken as gospel instead of just being interesting taking points.
That is a good point.

And again, I think it's because of MS's philosophy of unification of dev tools (GDK) to simplify porting from Xbox to PC and vice versa. If that is indeed the case, I think we'll continue to see XSX's versions gain advantages or experience issues like these (that are available on PC).

More importantly, for as long as HDD is supported, it is possible that XSX versions get gimped because of PC unifications -- especially by smaller teams.

ethomaz

Banned
It seems like even in gameplay the workload isn't spread evenly on PC CPU's, which most likely the same on consoles. So we should expect better performance from future titles, I guess.
Most games are like that.

Main thread = most of the processing, synced tasks.
Others thread = most of the background or non synced tasks... that are light than main thread.

I don't think you can paralelize the main game thread... so the others threads are for things like physics, NPCs, etc.... these can be parallelized because they are async.

Last edited:

Arias05

Banned
Yes, I'm on that spot on my PS5 now and the reflection is like 2-3x times apart from the accurate thing. PC has the most accurate one. XSX showing one out of the two, then gets glitched.

correct PC and XSX are the same in how they handle dual reflections correctly. Alex confirmed with me and my findings as shown in my proof. Ps5 is actually bugged with it. The XSX and PC are working correctly showing dual reflections aligned accordingly to distance of surfaces

link to proof

That is a good point.

And again, I think it's because of MS's philosophy of unification of dev tools (GDK) to simplify porting from Xbox to PC and vice versa. If that is indeed the case, I think we'll continue to see XSX's versions gain advantages or experience issues like these (that are available on PC).

More importantly, for as long as HDD is supported, it is possible that XSX versions get gimped because of PC unifications -- especially by smaller teams.
Yes but if they are making things easier for devs you think they could take the extra time gained and fix issues instead of leaving existing ones in. Again total speculation but interesting talking point.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
sorry was looking on my phone and didnt notice. This is correct thou. So lets agree that using as scene where both consoles seem to be bugged in some way is probably not the best for comparison.
Wait a civil and polite discussion between opposing sides ?
That's not how gaf works guys, you have to try to shred the other based on the buggiest scenes, which will obviously misrepresent the game.

but without any sarcastic joke it is so good to see such attitudes from both of you, you disagreed and it stayed quite civil which is refreshing, I thought this thread needed a bit of positivity and you brought it thank you both.

ethomaz

Banned
correct PC and XSX are the same in how they handle dual reflections correctly. Alex confirmed with me and my findings as shown in my proof. Ps5 is actually bugged with it. The XSX and PC are working correctly showing dual reflections aligned accordingly to distance of surfaces

link to proof
He is really clown lol.
Imagine I trying the same on my mirror at home and have these "correctly" reflections lol

gif.gif

There is nothing "correctly" in PC/Xbox reflections in this game.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry mistyped meant Not Correct

Not sure about the Xbox, as it's showing only one reflection (metal) then gets glitched. But PC has the accurate one.

Things will only get better from here anyway. So far on consoles Spiderman MM shows the best RT reflections so far, extending to the very far distance as well that is something I didn't see elsewhere on PC, but I didn't see everything so someone can correct me.

Wait a civil and polite discussion between opposing sides ?
That's not how gaf works guys, you have to try to shred the other based on the buggiest scenes, which will obviously misrepresent the game.

but without any sarcastic joke it is so good to see such attitudes from both of you, you disagreed and it stayed quite civil which is refreshing, I thought this thread needed a bit of positivity and you brought it thank you both.
I try to stay civil most times except it irks me when when people have such a firm stance with really very little actual proof. Im open to most hypothesis assuming they are not being conveyed as the only one or the right one. I can be a little shit thou. I even got geordiemp geordiemp to say fuck at me haha. My greatest accomplishment.

edit
ethomaz ethomaz if you took a moment to stop warrioring you would notice he took screens from different places where reflections were not bugged and showed pc/xbox showed it properly where ps5 was offset too much.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I try to stay civil most times except it irks me when when people have such a firm stance with really very little actual proof. Im open to most hypothesis assuming they are not being conveyed as the only one or the right one. I can be a little shit thou. I even got geordiemp geordiemp to say fuck at me haha. My greatest accomplishment.

edit
ethomaz ethomaz if you took a moment to stop warrioring you would notice he took screens from different places where reflections were not bugged and showed pc/xbox showed it properly where ps5 was offset too much.

Let's drag NXGamer NXGamer here for notice, PS5 seems to be like 4-5" off in reflections as the metal sheet is like 1-2" behind the glass. So PC is accurate but it's harder to spot. Well, we all know that you are a human anyway.

ethomaz

Banned

edit
Yeap the reflections are not correctly on because I’m warrioring 🤔

Last edited:

Fake

I agree and the biggest issue is they are not even sticking to any facts, just running off with made up nonsense, lies and exaggerations. This is indicative of the general lack of any real-life experience or any knowledge beyond the pseudo online "cancel all things" attitude rather than any conversation.

That said, I am very grateful for the support here and I would like to leave the whole "distracting" drama to them to just bounce around among themselves, we have serious gaming tech to discuss here ;-)

Just for note, my channel is still going and I have a video planned to release on it today and then get back into a nice flow between IGN and my channel. :messenger_bicep:

Dude keep the good work. I love Digital Foundry, but thats not mean they're gods of the benchmark area. You've be doing a great job and the IGN promotion is the prove.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeap the reflections are not correctly on because I’m warrioring 🤔

On Xbox it's not correct, but on PC it is. I've checked now on my PS5, it's actually still on. The distance should be like ~2" and hard to spot, like on PC. But Xbox is totally bugged and shows only metal reflection then gets glitched and disappears.

I think coding has some fucking going on, like that red gate reflection on PS5 while the gate is blue-ish. Seems like the first prototype design of the gate got scrapped but they forgot to delete the layer? I don't have the red gate screenshot though but someone showed it on another thread.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes but if they are making things easier for devs you think they could take the extra time gained and fix issues instead of leaving existing ones in. Again total speculation but interesting talking point.
Yeah, but that'd still mean fixing the issues that could have been fixed the first time (with the PC version, for example). If devs optimize the XSX version separately from PC, they basically lose the time advantage that unification has brought them.

ethomaz

Banned
On Xbox it's not correct, but on PC it is. I've checked now on my PS5, it's actually still on. The distance should be like ~2" and hard to spot, like on PC. But Xbox is totally bugged and shows only metal reflection then gets glitched and disappears.

I think coding has some fucking going on, like that red gate reflection on PS5 while the gate is blue-ish. Seems like the first prototype design of the gate got scrapped but they forgot to delete the layer? I don't have the red gate screenshot though but someone showed it on another thread.
It is not correct on PC either or PS5 (that I never said it is accurate).
I did not play on PC neither have the game there but the videos with that scene clearly shows the reflections is far away than it should be even with the different POV on PC.

Last edited:

Maybe he will stop being silly and listen to you since you both sony homies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is not correct on PC either or PS5 (that I never said it is accurate).
I did not play on PC neither have the game but the videos with that scene clearly shows the reflections is far away than it should be even with the different POV on PC.

I don't have a usb flash on me now, or I'll show you the metal sheet distance. It's literally attached to the glass so both reflections should be near attached like on PC. This has nothing to do with XSX though as it's totally bugged.

MonarchJT

Banned
- Game doesn't stutter on pc. It stutters on his PC because he uses a 2700 ryzen. The cpu series is camped with stutters, also typical ryzen issue. nothing to do with moving data in and out of ram.
- He has no clue what is loaded in and out and moved away from the cpu or if the cpu on the PS5 has less taxation because of it, baseless assumption.

In short nice video, sadly the moment conclusions come it falls a bit apart, still nice effort for the first video over there.
if you ar a playstation fan nx do nice videos...but for technical things we just have df that's it

Last edited:

Handy Fake

edit
He's from Newcastle man. Up here the word "cunt" is a term of endearment.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't have a usb flash on me now, or I'll show you the metal sheet distance. It's literally attached to the glass so both reflections should be near attached like on PC. This has nothing to do with XSX though as it's totally bugged.
That is how the PC looks when it is more accurate... that is not the case of the video or the pics in this thread.

Desktop-Screenshot-2019.08.20-00.48.31.30.png

Another example...

0*LBSWXAZCsZ-hU9kH.jpg

I don't even believe it is possible to get that reflection from that point of view on real life.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Looking at the two pics shows... main threads have less load while the co-threads have more load in gameplay.

But it did miss a big detail... not the same place and the gameplay lacks enemies, bullets, etc that should affect CPU... it is not a like to like comparison.

BTW I believe in gameplay when you are for example looking yourself at the reflection of the grass it is no different workload than static Photo mode... the things changes in dynamic gameplay.

Last edited:

JimboJones

link to proof
Hmm interesting seems like an issue with the way PS5 displays the reflection I this case, but seems like there's issues on xbox side with with the weird blinking in and out reflections.

Top Bottom