• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to buy ARM for $40 Billion

No? Why would Apple care, they have an Architecture License and already develop the fastest and most advanced ARM cores in the world.
If only they could make good software and radios for their phones though...

But couldn't this affect then in the future? There were rumors apple was trying to buy arm recently.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
iu

I'm sure Apple has ironclad licensing agreements but this will be interesting. Also Microsoft has been positioning Windows to switch to ARM for a long time.
Yeah that's why it's interesting to see what happens. Apple wants to do away with AMD and Intel, and transition over to arm. I'm sure Windows would still support everything, but would push surface products with arm. And Nvidia could go down the rabbits hole with arm. Would be very interesting to see what each company would do if they get the acquisition.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nice, I bought some shares when the rumors started. Hopefully it materializes.

Ozzie666

It would be really cool to potentially see an ARM based PC CPU's that could compete. But there is so much money in the mobile/soc business, I can't see Nvidia ignoring that.

Last edited:

DiegoAndrad

That is their assets, their market value is 300 billion atm. They are massively overvalued though....

Most of their market value comes from intangible assets developed internally, so the accounting value of their assets isn't really a fair representation of the actual value.

Bryank75

Banned
Most of their market value comes from intangible assets developed internally, so the accounting value of their assets isn't really a fair representation of the actual value.
It takes everything into account... even at 30% continuous growth which is overly optimistic, they are massively overvalued.
Many companies are overvalued at the moment, it's nothing unique although it is quite pronounced here.

DiegoAndrad

It takes everything into account... even at 30% continuous growth which is overly optimistic, they are massively overvalued.
Many companies are overvalued at the moment, it's nothing unique although it is quite pronounced here.

Well, if everything is overvalued your discount rate might be too high. But I'm not saying it isn't overvalued, I haven't looked into it.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
ARM was rumored to be on the market for quite some time.
So it's strange that company much bigger like Apple didn't buy it when they could. I think they just haven't any interest in acquiring ARM.

So it's strange that company much bigger like Apple didn't buy it when they could. I think they just haven't any interest in acquiring ARM.
When I heard they were rumored to be buying arm a while back, this stupid commercial came to mind.

XL7oc0f.jpg

Thank God they didn't, as Apple has a tendency to fuck up things for everyone else upon acquisition.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Why didn’t Apple buy ARM?
  • Apple does not want to have to deal with the headache of supporting other companies licensing ARM core IP and they have their own high performance and low power CPU design teams so they are not in need of what ARM has to offer (not enough to offset what they do not want to deal with coming as part of the transaction).

• Apple only needs very very minimal support from ARM, mostly they need to keep their ARM core license (they know nVIDIA faces serious regulators pressure if they put that into question). Also, Apple has a perpetual ARM ISA license.

• Apple knows they could develop their own ISA or fork something like RISC V which is an open source ISA (not GPL bound, they are not forced to open source their own change and likely they can patent those too) and transition their entire platform over if they needed to (they are now transitioning to Apple Silicon, their ARM fork essentially, and they could support a similar transition and actually ensure it goes even more smoothly than this controlling the design of the CPU family they migrate from and the CPU family they migrate to).

Last edited:
Last edited:

Zathalus

If this deal goes through, then one of the potential next-next gen consoles can have a ARM/Nvidia soc instead of AMD.

Now that would be interesting.

FStubbs

Why didn’t Apple buy ARM?
  • Apple does not want to have to deal with the headache of supporting other companies licensing ARM core IP and they have their own high performance and low power CPU design teams so they are not in need of what ARM has to offer (not enough to offset what they do not want to deal with coming as part of the transaction).

• Apple only needs very very minimal support from ARM, mostly they need to keep their ARM core license (they know nVIDIA faces serious regulators pressure if they put that into question).

• Apple knows they could develop their own ISA or fork something like RISC V which is an open source ISA (not GPL bound, they are not forced to open source their own change and likely they can patent those too) and transition their entire platform over if they needed to (they are now transitioning to Apple Silicon, their ARM fork essentially, and they could support a similar transition and actually ensure it goes even more smoothly than this controlling the design of the CPU family they migrate from and the CPU family they migrate to).

It wouldn't be a headache, Apple would simply terminate those licensing agreements. The only reason Apple would have to buy ARM would be to attack competitors. Which is I suspect why nVidia is buying ARM. Google or Microsoft buying ARM probably wouldn't sound off as many alarms because both companies sell services anyway. (Except maybe at Intel if Microsoft bought them).

Last edited:

FStubbs

If this deal goes through, then one of the potential next-next gen consoles can have a ARM/Nvidia soc instead of AMD.

Now that would be interesting.

The next Switch. I think Microsoft and Sony are both locked into x86 at this point for their consoles.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It wouldn't be a headache, Apple would simply terminate those licensing agreements. The only reason Apple would have to buy ARM would be to attack competitors. Which is I suspect why nVidia is buying ARM. Google or Microsoft buying ARM probably wouldn't sound off as many alarms because both companies sell services anyway. (Except maybe at Intel if Microsoft bought them).

They do not need to buy ARM to attack competitors, they are already miles ahead with the others in the rear view mirror AND they do not need yet another lawsuit/antitrust investigation if they were to terminate those licenses.

If they really really wanted ARM they would have bought it already, it is likely they were approached before and turned it down. The one that should be worried is Intel if MS were to once again think of f’ing them over like they dipped their toes in with the good ok’ ACE consortium and the near possibility of Alpha replacing Intel as Windows’s darling almost became a true possibility. Intel has only itself to blame when they failed to capitalise on their StrongARM investment.

FStubbs

They do not need to buy ARM to attack competitors, they are already miles ahead with the others in the rear view mirror AND they do not need yet another lawsuit/antitrust investigation if they were to terminate those licenses.

Not attack from a technological POV, where they are something like 2 years ahead of any other ARM chips (or is it 3 years now?). I mean from a "we own ARM and now you can no longer use ARM, good luck finding chips to power your phones, iPhone will be the only smartphone for now" perspective. Or at least "we're dramatically increasing the licensing fees, good luck staying profitable if you want to continue to compete with iPhone" perspective.

I think nVidia would try the latter strategy, with the added "unless you start using our new Tegra chips, which also won't be cheap, but cheaper than licensing your own."

UK government set to impose strict conditions on Nvidia takeover of Arm Culture secretary considers intervening in $40bn deal to protect jobs and keep HQ in Cambridge The Nvidia deal is a big test of Boris Johnson’s approach to Britain’s industrial strategy.

UK ministers are set to impose strict conditions on the imminent $40bn takeover of Arm Holdings by US chip company Nvidia, including the protection of jobs and the maintenance of its UK headquarters in Cambridge. Oliver Dowden, culture secretary, is also considering whether to “call in” the deal under the Enterprise Act 2002, which would mean an extensive review by the Competition and Markets Authority. Ministers can call in mergers under four different grounds — financial security, media plurality, public health or national security — in a process that would trigger a CMA review taking up to several months. If Oliver Dowden, culture secretary, proceeds with a formal intervention it would be on national security grounds — because the group is a major supplier to the defence industry — according to officials. One government figure said that Mr Dowden was “minded” to refer the deal to the CMA. However, one ally of the culture secretary said no decision had yet been taken and that speculation was “premature”. Recommended SoftBank Group Corp SoftBank executives revive talks on taking Japanese group private 3 HOURS AGO A review by the CMA would be in contrast to four years ago when the SoftBank takeover of Arm was waved through by the business secretary at the time Greg Clark, albeit with certain conditions. On that occasion the government compelled the Japanese company to keep Arm’s headquarters in Cambridge and to create at least 1,500 new jobs at the chip designer over five years. “You would expect us to take a very close interest in this company given it is a national tech champion,” said one official. The deal is a big test of prime minister Boris Johnson’s approach to Britain’s industrial strategy. The FT reported over the weekend that a cash and stock takeover of Arm by Nvidia — the world’s most valuable chipmaker — could be announced as soon as Monday, with SoftBank becoming the largest shareholder in the US company. Where we feel a takeover may represent a threat to the UK, the government will not hesitate to investigate the matter further UK government The takeover values Arm above the $32bn price that SoftBank paid for the business in 2016, a deal that was struck weeks after the Brexit vote and prompted critics including Arm’s founder to accuse the country of selling off the crown jewel of its tech sector. Ed Miliband, shadow business secretary, told the Financial Times last week that it was vital to secure Arm’s headquarters and 3,000-strong UK workforce if the deal went ahead. Mr Miliband said the government should seek legally binding assurances from Nvidia that it would not move “jobs and decision-making” to the US. On Sunday night a government spokesperson said that, while proposed acquisitions were primarily a commercial matter, they were monitored closely by ministers. “Where we feel a takeover may represent a threat to the UK, the government will not hesitate to investigate the matter further, which could lead to conditions on the deal.” The Enterprise Act 2002, which governs takeovers, was updated earlier this year to include companies which can influence the UK’s ability to deal with public health emergencies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom