• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to buy ARM for $40 Billion

Nvidia Corp. is getting close to buying the chip designer Arm Holdings from SoftBank Group Corp. for more than $40 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday. The cash-and-stock deal would value Arm in the low $40 billions, the WSJ reported, citing unnamed sources.

As part of the deal, Nvidia would likely be subject to regulatory approvals that would compel the company to continue to licence the ARM architecture to existing customers, but it would still gain access to a treasure trove of IP and engineering talent. That could enable the company to quickly develop custom CPU architectures for its own use, which would then further the company's broadening push into the profit-rich data center market.

In a deal that would undoubtedly change the semiconductor industry for years to come, according to the Wall Street Journal, Nvidia is close to finalizing a deal with SoftBank to purchase ARM Holdings for more than $40 billion in stock and cash. The deal is expected to be officially announced early next week. While the exact terms and final sale price of the deal are unknown, the $40 billion offer would represent a tidy profit for SoftBank, which purchased ARM for $32 billion four years ago.

bender

What time is it?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wonder what Qualcomm, Samsung, Huawei etc think about this.

If I was them, I would be thinking it could have been a lot worse. Nvidia designs chips, yes, and so does ARM. Nvidia doesn't really compete against those companies in the ARM CPU market (Tegra flamed out etc.).

The real fear for those companies IMO would be Apple buying them.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Nothing, NVidia would almost certainly be forced to maintain the current relationships as a condition for the sale

I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

EDIT: I wonder though. Isn't ARM just a specification? What's stopping someone like Apple, who plays in their own world anyway, from deciding they'll fork the specification and go their own way to avoid nVIDIA putting the screws to them?

EDIT2: There's no way Tegra is dead with a move like this.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

EDIT: I wonder though. Isn't ARM just a specification? What's stopping someone like Apple, who plays in their own world anyway, from deciding they'll fork the specification and go their own way to avoid nVIDIA putting the screws to them?
Licensing. If this goes ahead I'd expect/hope regulators to force Nvidia to offer similar terms as before... but that is more of a given in Europe.

Why is it bad? Can anyone explain?
It really depends on Nvidia's intentions. ARM the company has essentially acted as an open and guiding hand for the ARM the architecture. Not exactly what Nvidia is known for.

psorcerer

Banned
Nvidia Corp. is getting close to buying the chip designer Arm Holdings from SoftBank Group Corp. for more than $40 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday. The cash-and-stock deal would value Arm in the low $40 billions, the WSJ reported, citing unnamed sources.

That's a brilliant move from NV.
The problem is everybody already knows that they are a crappy partner.
Console holders don't want to deal with them.
Mobile manufacturers don't want to deal with them.
Even Google, Facebook, etc. don't want to deal with them and create their own hardware instead.

But for the future of GPU it should become a truly heterogeneous architecture, where CPU is the command processor (essentially Cell architecture, that was too ahead of the time).
ARM command processor + NVidia SIMD/CUDA cores should be a winning combination.

Bryank75

Banned
How is Nvidia worth so much?

I mean, Sony makes more than them in income but is only worth a third of what Nvidia is currently at.

Nvidia seem to only have a measly 10.9 billion in cash on hand.

Edit: Ah, here we go.

What I thought the minute I looked at the charts. They are trying to grow because they know they are in a race against the bubble bursting, even if they know taking on that much debt is risky.

Last edited:

Kdad

I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

EDIT2: There's no way Tegra is dead with a move like this.
Apple has a perpetual licence deal afaik...however, I would expect them to go fully inhouse at some point since that's just Apple's way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom