• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Since the RTX 3090 is seen as a bad value proposition due to its insane price, do you guys think that the lines of people waiting to buy it will be as long as those for the RTX 3080?
I think it'll be an extremely popular card as most people think the only proper upgrade path is the 3090 with it's extra memory. I'd line up early if you want it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think it'll be an extremely popular card as most people think the only proper upgrade path is the 3090 with it's extra memory. I'd line up early if you want it.

I work from 12AM to 8AM on weekdays. So, I'm going to have to request that I be excused from my shift on next Thursday so that I can get to Microcenter early. However, I don't know how early I should get there. 5AM that morning or 10PM that night before?

I work from 12AM to 8AM on weekdays. So, I'm going to have to request that I be excused from my shift on next Thursday so that I can get to Microcenter early. However, I don't know how early I should get there. 5AM that morning or 10PM that night before?

10pm, and bring a comfy lawn chair, a snack and beverage. Edit: And prepare yourself to be super pissed when they pull some BS like saying they sold out online or only have two cards in stock and you're the third person in line.

Last edited:
I didn’t even try for a 3080 today because I figured not that many people would be after a $1500 video card but after the insanity today I’m not so sure. Fucking scalpers won’t care, they regularly scalp things worth more than that. I just hope that I can get a 3090 before November when Cyberpunk releases.

Personally I feel like the justice system in this country is all kinds of fucked up, it’s not illegal to scalp but it is illegal to shoot scalpers. I don’t really see any kind of balance in such a justice system at all.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Did anyone get an order in on evga's website?
That's my plan for the 3090 but I see they're sold out so just wondering how it went today

McHuj

I didn’t even try for a 3080 today because I figured not that many people would be after a $1500 video card but after the insanity today I’m not so sure. Fucking scalpers won’t care, they regularly scalp things worth more than that. I just hope that I can get a 3090 before November when Cyberpunk releases.

Personally I feel like the justice system in this country is all kinds of fucked up, it’s not illegal to scalp but it is illegal to shoot scalpers. I don’t really see any kind of balance in such a justice system at all.

Scalpers exist because idiots are willing to pay their prices.

And in this case it's for toys, not food or medicine.

McHuj

So from the reviews which are the best versions of the 3080? (Not bothered about over clocking).

From what I've read/watched today, the Asus TUF seems to be a real winner. I think I want that one as it has the best cooling so far. MSI Gaming Trio X is very quiet. I had a 2080 Gaming Trio and was really happy with it.

With the insane power draw of the 3080, I don't think I'm going to bother overclocking so I'm just looking for the best cooler/acoustics (ai rcooled only)

nemiroff

Gold Member
People don't buy high end gfx cards for their value but for the performance. Yes, I'm betting it will initially sell out too but not as fast as the 3080 obviously.

It's going to feel slightly different for many when finally hovering the mouse button over "pay". Looking at the number of Cuda cores and RT, IDK, looks like +~20% performance for more than double the price..? Yes admittedly I'm still undecided whether to keep my 3080 order or go for a 3090 instead. I can afford it, but at the same time I'd like to think I'm not stupid either.. When's the review embargo lifted btw?

Kenpachii

From what I've read/watched today, the Asus TUF seems to be a real winner. I think I want that one as it has the best cooling so far. MSI Gaming Trio X is very quiet. I had a 2080 Gaming Trio and was really happy with it.

With the insane power draw of the 3080, I don't think I'm going to bother overclocking so I'm just looking for the best cooler/acoustics (ai rcooled only)

Rule n1 u always overclock.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Yea, I just watched Hardware Unboxed's review of the Asus TUF RTX 3080 and learned that it's actually a premium product; it's made of high quality materials (e.g. metals), has a complex combination of heat pipes and fins, and runs cooler and quieter than the Founders Edition. Also, it actually has a bit of RGB lighting, which fits the aesthetic of my build. Hence, I now want the Asus TUF version of the RTX 3090 rather than the more expensive ROG Strix version.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yea, I just watched Hardware Unboxed's review of the Asus TUF RTX 3080 and learned that it's actually a premium product; it's made of high quality materials (e.g. metals), has a complex combination of heatsinks and fins, and runs cooler and quieter than the Founders Edition. Also, it actually has a bit of RGB lighting, which fits the aesthetic of my build. Hence, I now want the Asus TUF version of the RTX 3090 rather than the more expensive ROG Strix version.
Thanks for this. Without watching the whole video hows the performance compared to the FE? nvm: I skipped to the end. Good card. I'm going to go for this one.

Last edited:

saintjules

Looks like the MSI is the same price as the FE via Newegg

WcH891b.jpg

\

Last edited:
Scalpers exist because idiots are willing to pay their prices.

And in this case it's for toys, not food or medicine.
Profiteering during war is a crime. Profiteering during a global pandemic is a crime.

So why is profiteering luxury items not only acceptable, but embraced and worshipped as a capstone of capitalism? Why is it suddenly the social contract doesn’t apply when it’s a luxury item?

Wunray

If we couldn't get the 3080 today there is no chance for the 3070. That sucks, I did find a rtx 2070 super brand new for 500 but I think in the long run I might try my hand at the 3070 anyways......

Mister Wolf

Think you're going to see alot of 2080ti owners pulling their card from Ebay after today. If you wanted a 3070 you probably should jump on one of them. It has more memory and performance wise will be in the same ballpark as the 3070 and dont be surprised if the 2080ti is superior.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I would like to know this. All I can think is the mfr's all knew they were going to have shit for stock, so held on to what they had for sales made on their own websites.

Largest store in the country with none to sell, yet Microcenter gets them in store? While Bestbuy doesn't? Real suspect.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Thanks for this. Without watching the whole video hows the performance compared to the FE?

Not to be rude, but it's best to see for yourself. In short, it runs about 5% faster than the Founders Edition out of the box and subsequently consumes more power (344 watts vs the Founders Edition's 323 watts). When overclocked, it consumes 357 watts.

1. Death Stranding @ 1440p: 1 frame per second faster (158 FPS vs 157 FPS) out of the box and a further 2% faster (161 FPS) when overclocked. Death Stranding @ 4K: 2% faster out of the box (109 FPS vs 107 FPS) and an additional 2% faster (111 FPS) when manually overclocked.

2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege @ 1440p: 6% faster out of the box (346 FPS vs 327 FPS), and an additional 1% faster (348 FPS) via manual overclocking. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege @ 4K: 6% faster out of the box (185 FPS vs 174 FPS) and an additional 1% faster (187 FPS) when manually overclocked.

3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 1440p: 4% faster out of the box (160 FPS vs 154 FPS), and an additional 3% faster via manual overclocking (165 FPS), and @ 4K: 5% faster out of the box (91 FPS vs 87 FPS) and an additional 3% faster via manual overclocking (94 FPS).

Go to 6:50.

bohrdom

Banned
It just gets boring because I already know it's a pointless argument. Happens every generation, always with the same result: people stick to their "side" & after a few years the facts bear out a simple fact - you always want more vram.
And of course, what's the point in bringing AMD into it unless you're just looking for flame wars thinking I care about them? I really don't give a shit, I don't empathise with corporations.

At the end of the day it's still irrelevant. You're not gonna change your mind, I'm still gonna buy a 3080 and game+mine the shit out of it, and 10 GB will still be pitiful and no one will remember it and it will all happen again as it has before (0.5 vs 1, 2 vs 3/4 gb, 4/6gb vs 8gb, and now).

I don't think this is boring because I don't see this as "my side vs your side". I'm more interested in the engineering tradeoffs made to achieve a feature set at a specific price point. I'm also interested in the future technologies that are getting pushed out there. I get that you probably can't make a compelling scientific argument so I'm hoping people who actually can will jump in and say something. I'm actually open to having my mind changed! It just needs to be better than look at the system reqs. :messenger_grinning:

Then I bring in examples of situations where vram is a limiting factor WITHOUT having tanked your performance (because ofc there's things you can do with vram that won't destory performance but do improve quality solely at the cost of vram - eg textures, image streaming, etc) by doing something stupid like play at 8K with 10 fps or whatever (eg: wolfenstein 2 uber image streaming, minecraft rtx chunks at 24, hbcc on/off tests to validate memory requirements >8 GB, Doom Eternal req>8GB etc etc), then that gets spun like it's not representative or it's a fluke or bla bla, "compression will make up for it", "ssds will make up for it", "the magic tooth fairy will make up for it" and so on and so forth. Then id's lead engine developer goes on record and says "yo, vram is dope, 8 GB is barely minimum anymore, don't skimp on it!" but somehow he doesn't know enough or whatever.

There will always be workloads that a card will struggle with. This has forever been the case in the graphics industry. Idtech is a fairly optimized engine and I'd be curious to learn what they're doing with their VRAM budget. However I don't think anything in the next 3 years anything is really gonna make the 3080 struggle. By then there will be another card out on the market that you'll be complaining about.

Worst of all, within 2 months people will pretend like these arguments never even took place when Ampere gets 16GB & 20 GB variants, and RDNA goes for 16 GB as well, then the value of extra vram will be taken for granted like it was just 'common sense'.

Yeah but you won't get the price point that we have now unless AMD really has something up their sleeves. But who cares. One of the massive pros of NVIDIA is their software stack. AMD is really far behind there. I can see NVIDIA selling a 20 gig variant at like $1200 just so that they don't canabilize 3090 sales. For common folk you're really not gonna get much of a benefit from 20 GB vs 10 GB in gaming. For people who do deep learning there will be a benefit. Also it really is marketing. The average consumer sees a bigger number and thinks it's better for them.

The XSX has 10 GB of fast memory developers will be targeting, and it's reasonable to expect that on the PC we will have options for higher texture fidelity. On the XSX developers will be using the Sampler Feedback Streaming feature to increase the "effective size" of the memory pool, but we don't know what the situation will be like on PC. Given that Doom Eternal is already running into performance limitations with 8 GB, an extra 2 GB isn't much leeway over the course of an entire generation.

From what I understand SFS is just a priority access for fetching textures from memory. You're still bound by GDDR6 and your ROPs. So it's not gonna magically outperform NVIDIA 3080 at 4k. I don't know if your claim about Doom Eternal is true. A RTX 2070 Super (8 GB VRAM) outperforms a Radeon VII (16 GB VRAM).

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Looks like the MSI is the same price as the FE via Newegg

WcH891b.jpg

\

It has only one HDMI port. The Asus versions have two each. I can use both of my 55" TVs as dual monitors with the Asus cards.

MSI Ventus 3X

14-137-596-V03.jpg

Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080

14-126-457-V04.jpg

Asus TUF RTX 3080

14-126-452-V80.jpg

PhoenixTank

Ouch. Paper launches suck and I remember the pain. I wish you hungry folks the best and hope that the stock situation ends up being like the 3950X i.e. Massively limited in the first week or so but plentiful thereafter.

waylo

Banned
Was on my phone all day. Saw stuff randomly pop on Best Buy, but every time I would add it to my cart there was an error.

Just got a message from a buddy too. He works IT and told me his work got 15 of them (enterprise apparently gets priority). Worst part, they arent even going to use them until the beginning of the year. He said they arent going to arrive for another week or two. He is going to find out if he can get us both one. Fingers crossed.

kiphalfton

Think you're going to see alot of 2080ti owners pulling their card from Ebay after today. If you wanted a 3070 you probably should jump on one of them. It has more memory and performance wise will be in the same ballpark as the 2070 and dont be surprised if the 2080ti is superior.

From what I can tell, there was an influx of 2080 Supers and 2080Ti's a week or two ago on FB marketplace, for decent prices that have disappeared. If I could get my hands on a FTW or equivalent performing RTX 2080Ti (i.e. top end model) for $500 new, I would personally just get it and skip getting the RTX 3070. Same with a RTX 2070 Super, if I can get one new for <$325 I will just get one of those. I've been lucky with the GTX 980Ti Classified I got for $320 and GTX 1070Ti I got for $280, shortly after each respective generation's successor came out.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not to be rude, but it's best to see for yourself. In short, it runs about 5% faster than the Founders Edition out of the box and subsequently consumes more power (344 watts vs the Founders Edition's 323 watts). When overclocked, it consumes 357 watts.

1. Death Stranding @ 1440p: 1 frame per second faster (158 FPS vs 157 FPS) out of the box and a further 2% faster (161 FPS) when overclocked. Death Stranding @ 4K: 2% faster out of the box (109 FPS vs 107 FPS) and an additional 2% faster (111 FPS) when manually overclocked.

2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege @ 1440p: 6% faster out of the box (346 FPS vs 327 FPS), and an additional 1% faster (348 FPS) via manual overclocking. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege @ 4K: 6% faster out of the box (185 FPS vs 174 FPS) and an additional 1% faster (187 FPS) when manually overclocked.

3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 1440p: 4% faster out of the box (160 FPS vs 154 FPS), and an additional 3% faster via manual overclocking (165 FPS), and @ 4K: 5% faster out of the box (91 FPS vs 87 FPS) and an additional 3% faster via manual overclocking (94 FPS).

Go to 6:50.

I guess you missed my edit where I did watch it. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out anyway.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

So any word on when restock might be coming?

Microcenter is about an hour and a half drive for me, not sure if I want to go wait in line for nothing.

RafterXL

I'm bummed I didn't get a 3080. Stupid ass launch. Fucking Nvidia dropping this fake ass launch a week before AMDs new cards, it's nothing but a PR move. Why can't AMD be worth a shit and give us a competetion again?

Anyway, hopefully stock actually arrives in the new few weeks. I'll live but my nephew, who is getting my 2080, is acting like a kid who ran down stairs to an empty Christmas tree.

kiphalfton

Why not just go on Nvidia's facebook, twitter, youtube channel, etc. and just put them on blast there... where it actually makes sense.

That's why it's not even worth reading reviews, is because of the butthurt idiots like those in the linked reviews.

Rygeist

Banned
Pretty bummed out overall. I'm sure we all are.

What I don't get at all are the restocks. They restocked Newegg and NVIDIA Store twice this afternoon. Again, I sat here spamming F5 around that time and nothing. Do people have secret links like the PS5 Amazon page from yesterday? What are they doing? Adding 3 cards per refresh?

I understand the demand, but ffs. They weren't kidding when they said most people won't see these cards til 2021.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I'm bummed I didn't get a 3080. Stupid ass launch. Fucking Nvidia dropping this fake ass launch a week before AMDs new cards, it's nothing but a PR move. Why can't AMD be worth a shit and give us a competetion again?

Anyway, hopefully stock actually arrives in the new few weeks. I'll live but my nephew, who is getting my 2080, is acting like a kid who ran down stairs to an empty Christmas tree.

Give AMD a chance with their upcoming release; don’t support Nvidia. Ryzen has been great, so let’s see what they’ve got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom