• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I've installed my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming and have stored my PNY REVEL EPIC-X RTX 3090.

q70rjnw.jpg

I've installed the EVGA RTX 3090 and have played a bit of Control on it. It's considerably faster than my PNY RTX 3090; it hits the top frame rate of the PNY RTX 3090 and pretty much stays there. For example, when playing at 4K via DLSS Performance mode (1080p upscaled to 4K), it stays between 115 to 120 frames per second, whereas my PNY RTX 3090 mostly stays in the 80s and 90s and only occasionally hits 115 to 120 frames per second. The higher power limit definitely makes a difference; according to MSI Afterburner's on-screen data, the PNY maxes out at 350 watts but the EVGA maxes out at ~414 watts.

Thats some placebo performance you have there or you played different areas. The cards are the same, they use the same chip. Buildzoid even did a recent video on EVGA's pcb and he was dissapointed that it was just a regular cheap board, despite them charging premium price for the model and positioning it as their high end

The pny and the evga have the same chip. Differences should be in the margin of error, not 30% like what you're imagining

evanft

I was able to snag a 3080 FE from the recent Best Buy drop this week. I've been playing Control with everything maxed out at 4k w/DLSS. Here are my thoughts.

• Undervolted and created a custom fan curve immediately to help with noise/temps. 60% seems to be the sweet spot for running the fans without being able to really hear them in my home theater. I'm at 900mV/1890 Mhz right now. I may play around with it to see if I can get to 2 Ghz, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.
  • This is legitimately the best looking card I've ever seen. I can't believe how horrendous everything else is in comparison. Overall build quality feels much nicer than any of the other cards I've ever owned.
  • The 12 pin connector actually makes cable management easier in my case. The awkward 90 degree turn is eliminated and I can run the power cables along the front of the card easily. In don't know why it took us so long to move on from the horrible old 2x8 design.
  • The card is much smaller than I thought it would be. I don't think it's really any larger than the EVGA 1080 it replaced
  • The packaging is immaculate. Actually makes it feel like a high-end expensive product instead of capital-G Gamer garbage.
  • Front intake fan positioning really has an effect on thermals for this card, much more so than anything else I've had. Originally had 2x140 in the top front intake positions. This got me to about 80 C when playing Control during an intense scene. I lowered the fans to the two lowest positions and temps appear to have dropped all the way to 68 C. I believe now the pull fan on the front of the fan has better access to cool air and is able to more effectively remove heat from the fins along the front of the card.
  • I have seen no real effect on CPU temps on my 9900k.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what? It's better than stupid super big double 8pin. New 12pin should become a standard
Not with that dumb ass location.
Nor that stupid dongle. Being forced to buy an adapter.

fyi in the beefier models its 3 8 pin slots

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not with that dumb ass location.
Nor that stupid dongle. Being forced to buy an adapter
The location is fine for me.
The cable is included. All new power supplies will probably come with one if it becomes a more widely used connector... and it will for nvidia

Ulysses 31

I was able to get a 3080 TUF. What a card! Stands at 63C most of the time, it only got to 69C while playing CODMW Campaign with Ray Tracing.

fP6NY1S.jpg
Looks like you're using one power cable to power 2 8-pin slots on the card? You're probably power starving the card a bit this way.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Any reason to go with FTW3 over XC3 if you don't plan to overclock? (other than appearance)

if you aren’t overclocking, the only advantage the FTW has is a substantially better heat sink and some more expensive voltage control that *could* mean a longer life, but unlikely. My XC3is hitting 75-80 during benchmarking because the heat sink they are using is “just enough” to support it. I can lower the temps by modifying the fan curve but then noise becomes an issues. Undervolting will help a lot, but as I’m water cooling it soon anyway (already ordered my ek block!) it won’t matter to me.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

My Newegg Tuf just showed up. My wife was sitting on the couch waiting around at home for it. I happened to check the tracking and Purolator just left it sitting on the door step with no knock or doorbell ring what so ever over an hour ago SMH.

Rbk_3

That's fine. There is usually a coil whine when card is above 90% or max fps. Fe does the same thing right in frametime with fps :p

Wasn't anything like that in the 3080 Gaming OC I had for a little bit at launch, or my 2080S. It would get it at over 1000fps in menus and such but not at 140fps.

I got mine and apparently I have a bad case of coil whine 😭😭😭

Has it gotten any better for you? I see reports on Reddit that many people have had it get better over time and use.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Wasn't anything like that in the 3080 Gaming OC I had for a little bit at launch, or my 2080S. It would get it at over 1000fps in menus and such but not at 140fps.

You no longer have the 3080 Gaming OC? What did you do with it and why? Do you have a new card?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s going to be pretty much impossible to find anything for at least 3 or 4 months - PS5, 30xx, AMD 6xxx cards, even Xbox. It’s just probably not going to happen so I guess I’m just going to dig in with what I have.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s going to be pretty much impossible to find anything for at least 3 or 4 months - PS5, 30xx, AMD 6xxx cards, even Xbox. It’s just probably not going to happen so I guess I’m just going to dig in with what I have.

It's not impossible. What methods have you used to attempt getting an RTX 30 card or whatever other gaming device that you want?

Have you signed up for EVGA's auto-notification system? Have you visited a brick-and-mortar store or tried to make an order via phone directly from an AIB?

Rbk_3

You no longer have the 3080 Gaming OC? What did you do with it and why? Do you have a new card?

Warzone was a mess on Ampere cards until the most recent driver so I sold it a week later to my buddy and bought a EVGA 2070S since Warzone is all I played at the time and I was getting microstutters I could not fix on the 3080. I entered the EVGA step up program but it was taking forever so I was able to get this card on Newegg and now have to deal with selling my 2070S at a loss.

It's not impossible. What methods have you used to attempt getting an RTX 30 card or whatever other gaming device that you want?

Have you signed up for EVGA's auto-notification system? Have you visited a brick-and-mortar store or tried to make an order via phone directly from an AIB?

Set up Distill and you'll have one in a week. Took me 3 days after setting it up

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I did sign up for EVGA, although those aren't the cards I want.

I am not going to bend myself into pretzels to get anything.

waylo

Banned
I did sign up for EVGA, although those aren't the cards I want.

I am not going to bend myself into pretzels to get anything.
I had all but given up when I wound up getting mine. All I did was setup the Discord to get notifications. I wasn't checking religiously or sitting at my PC F5'ing or anything like that, but if I happened to be available when a notification would pop, I would try. Most times resulted in a waste of maybe 30-60 seconds. It was quite easy to tell from the jump if I would have a shot or not judging by how slow stores would load. Then during the last big Best Buy dump, I was finally able to secure one. Just keep trying man.

RE: coil whine. My FE3080 has it. Noticed it when I took my headphones off the other day. Was getting like 300FPS in a menu on something and it was noticeable. Not bad, but noticeable. I've experienced it before though so it's nothing new and I exclusively game with headphones so I don't care.

I wound up undervolting my card too. Thing runs like 4-6 degrees cooler in COD and my FPS is identical.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Warzone was a mess on Ampere cards until the most recent driver so I sold it a week later to my buddy and bought a EVGA 2070S since Warzone is all I played at the time and I was getting microstutters I could not fix on the 3080. I entered the EVGA step up program but it was taking forever so I was able to get this card on Newegg and now have to deal with selling my 2070S at a loss.

Set up Distill and you'll have one in a week. Took me 3 days after setting it up

No offense, but your decision to sell your 3080 was very impulsive. You should have known that new drivers would eventually be released and would fix the problem.

Rbk_3

No offense, but your decision to sell your 3080 was very impulsive. You should have known that new drivers would eventually be released and would fix the problem.

You impulse bought a 3080 because you couldn't wait for a 3090, then bought a 3090 when you should really be waiting for a 3080ti. Don't preach to me about being impulsive.

I wanted to enjoy the only game I play instead of waiting around for 2 months and being pissed off every time I played it.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
You impulse bought a 3080 because you couldn't wait for a 3090, then bought a 3090 when you should really be waiting for a 3080ti. Don't preach to me about being impulsive.

I wanted to enjoy the only game I play instead of waiting around for 2 months and being pissed off every time I played it.
ohshit.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
waylo waylo did you follow a tutorial for undervolting? I'd like to try it, too. Any downsides? It seems all positive.

waylo

Banned
waylo waylo did you follow a tutorial for undervolting? I'd like to try it, too. Any downsides? It seems all positive.
Just followed this video:

It wasn't hard and there don't seem to be any downsides. My temps went down (albeit slightly), and in some cases my FPS went up (Horizon performed slightly better). I don't see a reason not to do it honestly.

Rbk_3

Just followed this video:

It wasn't hard and there don't seem to be any downsides. My temps went down (albeit slightly), and in some cases my FPS went up (Horizon performed slightly better). I don't see a reason not to do it honestly.

I am going to try that tonight. Heard it may also help with coil whine.

Great looking case. I like the size. I'd be curious to see how airflow and what temps you'll get when it's all said and done. Keep us posted?

So far, everything has been running like a champ! While gaming @4k, 60fps and max settings in most games, I have yet to see my CPU or GPU temps go over low 60s *C (GPU is running cooler in this new case). I was concerned about airflow, since the front panel (which is a door that can be opened) is solid, with vents on the sides, but it looks like it's not as much of an issue as I thought. Also, it's quieter than my previous build. Will post a pic when I get a chance in the coming days.

DeaDPo0L84

Has it gotten any better for you? I see reports on Reddit that many people have had it get better over time and use.

I actually got a replacement through nvidia. It does still have coil whine but its not as frequent nor is it as loud. On my original one I could hear it over my speakers while playing. My new one I have to turn down the volume entirely and get closer to my PC case to pick up the noise.

At this point after a few weeks I don't even notice it, I may try under volting eventually.

Pakoe

My TUF has some sag to it. Anyone have any recommendations for a bracket?

Good lord, that cpu cooler is a beast. Thiccer than a bowl.. okay, you get it.

Didn't you get a bracket with the card? I've seen people using Legos as a bracket.

Top Bottom