• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Dr.D00p

It's not just them - all UK retailers are doing it.

Yes but OcUK are the worst of the worst, they trundle out the old exchange rate excuse bullshit everytime they need a reason to bump up their prices by £50, They're just full of it and as far as I know they're the only ones still taking pre-orders and payment up front on products they have no idea whatsoever as to when they will get in stock.

Last edited:

Antitype

My biggest issue with the 3080 and all Nvidia cards at the moment.... What is the actual price for each card?

Sounds silly, but there's no RRP in the UK even on official sites. Sites are price gouging so what should be a £650 card (3080) is showing as £750-800. This isn't a scalper on eBay; this is a genuine store.

I ordered an Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Overclock Edition 10 GB GDDR6X and it cost me £910 - no idea if that is a rip-off as when I google the prices, there is no site which says "the RRP is £xxx.xx".

Overclockers say that the reason for the price change is Brexit and the exchange rate (load of rubbish - otherwise EVERY item not made in the UK would have this issue).

I only know a few EU RRP (specifically for France and with 20% VAT applied) and that's in euros, but that might help you estimate prices in pounds.

Nvidia FE: 720€
ASUS TUF: 720€
ASUS TUF OC: 750€
ASUS Strix: 820€
ASUS Strix OC: 850€
GB Gaming OC: 770€

But as you said even official retailers are price gouging now and it seems ASUS decided to permanently increase the price of the TUF when they realised it was the most sought after AIB.

duhmetree

RTX 3090 being brought to its knees by Watch Dogs: Legion.

have you tried disabling SMT? I wonder if that sees improvement. If you need a 3090 and a 8 core 5ghz oc to get decent frames... it's not viable

The game is the lead example of why RT is not there yet. There has to be better implementations... rather than brute forcing it

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
have you tried disabling SMT? I wonder if that sees improvement.

The game is the lead example of why RT is not there yet. There has to be better implementations... rather than brute forcing it
No, I haven't tried disabling SMT. I honestly don't even personally care, because I'm well aware of how demanding ray tracing is in 4K without DLSS, even for an RTX 3090.

Playing the game at 4K with ray tracing off is fine for me.

duhmetree

No, I haven't tried disabling SMT. I honestly don't even personally care, because I'm well aware of how demanding ray tracing is in 4K without DLSS, even for an RTX 3090.

Playing the game at 4K with ray tracing off is fine for me.
Hopefully RayTracing comes with options in the future. On which aspects to have on/off

Still dont understand how Consoles can pump out RT at 60fps. Especially AAA games

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hopefully RayTracing comes with options in the future. On which aspects to have on/off

Still dont understand how Consoles can pump out RT at 60fps. Especially AAA games

They do come with options, at least in some games.

vsop2Xq.jpg

duhmetree

But CAN they? Or is it 'hacked' RT?
I dont know but if little Timmy is playing Spiderman at 60fps with some form of RT while we're here struggling in our $3000-$4000 rigs.... its kina weird. Brute forcing it, is not the solution IMO

DLSS further proves that native 4K is not worth it. There's no reason to want native 4K at the present time, its a waste of resources

Last edited:
I dont know but if little Timmy is playing Spiderman at 60fps with some form of RT while we're here struggling in our $3000-$4000 rigs.... its kina weird. Brute forcing it, is not the solution IMO

DLSS further proves that native 4K is not worth it. There's no reason to want native 4K at the present time, its a waste of resources

Aaah From what I remember, Spider-Man basically has some kinda botched RT - not true reflections, lower resolution too. Things would COULD be implemented on the 3080/3090 to improve performance without being has high a hit, but still look great

duhmetree

Aaah From what I remember, Spider-Man basically has some kinda botched RT - not true reflections, lower resolution too. Things would COULD be implemented on the 3080/3090 to improve performance without being has high a hit, but still look great
Thats what I'm looking for... eventually

Thats what I'm looking for... eventually

I really agree with you. Developers need to guage the benefit of full ray tracing at a massive performance hit, or lower it down and focus on the bits that matter. Or like Checkboarding helped the PS4 Pro with performance, maybe implement that kinda tech but to shadows / ray tracing - most people won't tell the difference unless taking screenshots.

Or give people the ability to turn on/off certain ray tracing elements.

regawdless

Banned
Two of my close to launch day orders, that I'm keeping for a friend of mine, have still no status update. Unknown delivery date.

Guess I was lucky as hell to get one already.

dmman

Neo Member
It's been almost 2 months since the release and having sold my older graphics card back in August this process has not been fun to say the least. At this point I'm looking to get a 6800xt if I happen to find one before a 3080.

Last edited:
I managed to get a 3080 from Novatech within 2 days of actually trying, in the UK.

A mix of Distill for Chrome to monitor pages for change, StockInformers discord channel and PriceAlert on Twitter.

Also, Alternate.de - set up a mailbox.de forwarding account and they can ship there and have it redirected to you. Could have got a 3080 a few times from them (and DID get one but cancelled when the UK one came up) - so could have got 2 in 1 day.

Yeah it get tiresome as fuck. I've got 3080fe month ago for 700 and everyone is like: ti this, 16gb that, but amd...
I have 2nd best card on the planet. You cannot future proof of you would always wait

Totally true. My 1080Ti never filled its memory. Closest I have with the 3080 is 9GB for urm watchdogs

Rickyiez

I don't know why you guys got freaked out with Watchdogs Legion. I have said time and time again it's not the best indicator of RT performance, that game itself is unoptomized AF. You guys first time playing an Ubisoft game?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah it get tiresome as fuck. I've got 3080fe month ago for 700 and everyone is like: ti this, 16gb that, but amd...
I have 2nd best card on the planet. You cannot future proof of you would always wait
do not think like this when you buy tech,
the word future proof is a fucking lie and there will always be something better

Mista

Banned
Welcome to the tech world? When you get something thats it, enjoy it. If you’re going to regret having whatever just because there’s something new coming out, then you shouldn’t bother at all.

duhmetree

BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef Hey mate, have you seen the rumours about the 3080Ti🤣?
what have they said? I heard its between a 3080 and 3090 and has 16GB.

If it comes out within my upgrade window from EVGA, I may upgrade. With the 6900xt being $999, I can't see them charging more than that for the FE. Like I said, hopefully it comes out in December or January so I can upgrade.

Mista

Banned
what have they said? I heard its between a 3080 and 3090 and has 16GB.

If it comes out within my upgrade window from EVGA, I may upgrade. With the 6900xt being $999, I can't see them charging more than that for the FE. Like I said, hopefully it comes out in December or January so I can upgrade.
Rumours says that it has 20GB of VRAM.

HKNN5Ny.jpg

This is massive if true.

nemiroff

Gold Member

HKNN5Ny.jpg

This is massive if true.

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.
When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said.
Que Sera, Sera,
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.
Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome, will I be rich
I tell them tenderly.
Que Sera, Sera,
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

duhmetree

HKNN5Ny.jpg

This is massive if true.
20GB makes no sense. I know there was an initial 20GB rumor but then it was 'cancelled'.

16GB is all we would need for gaming applications ( for the foreseeable future ). We're barely pushing 10GB now, adding that much co$t to the card would make it unattractive... for nVidia and the consumer. I dont think nVidia goes above $999.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

20GB makes no sense. I know there was an initial 20GB rumor but then it was 'cancelled'.

16GB is all we would need for gaming applications ( for the foreseeable future ). We're barely pushing 10GB now, adding that much co$t to the card would make it unattractive... for nVidia and the consumer. I dont think nVidia goes above $999.

I believe it can only be 10gb, 12gb, 20gb or 24gb.

dmman

Neo Member

HKNN5Ny.jpg

This is massive if true.

I don't know, if its as fast as 3090 at say $1,000, that's still not great value for 10% ish more performance. The performance jump from 1080 to 1080ti was very significant, if they were to hit such levels then color me interested.

Ulysses 31

Aorus RTX 3090 Xtreme is without a doubt the biggest graphics card I've had in my hands yet! Barely fits in my Corsair X680 lengthswise.

It's also quite a bit cooler than the Ventus 3X, Metro Exodus at the start ran in the low 60C, with the Ventus is was close to 80C.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Today I finally received a notification that the RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming is available for purchase; I signed up to be notified on October 5th.

My original plan was to wait to be notified that the registration of my 3080 into the Step-Up program for the 3090 was ready to be fulfilled; however, I've been told that EVGA is still fulfilling registrations that were filed on September 24th!

So, I've scrapped that plan; I've ordered the 3090 and I've put my 3080 up for sale on eBay.

waylo

Banned
Seemed to be a big drop of cards this morning on Best Buy. I got the ping from Discord as I was leaving for work this morning. Ran to my PC and sure enough, I was able to snag a Founders Edition 3080. Was late for work because of it, but it was worth it. Should be here Thursday. So fucking excited!

baphomet

Seemed to be a big drop of cards this morning on Best Buy. I got the ping from Discord as I was leaving for work this morning. Ran to my PC and sure enough, I was able to snag a Founders Edition 3080. Was late for work because of it, but it was worth it. Should be here Thursday. So fucking excited!

I actually scored a FE 3090 from there this morning as well.

Got to also use my 10% off birthday coupon as well.

Top Bottom