• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Okay, but Demon Souls and Ratchet & Clank could theoretically run on a PS4 as well. They are great looking games, but if they want they could release them on last gen systems with no problem.

Actually there would be some issues making it run on the PS4 without some massive changes. It's not just a simple resolution downgrade. I'll go find the article where I read that.

• "You could make a game like [the new] 'Ratchet & Clank' on the PS4, but just visually speaking, you would have to dial back a ton in order to get it to run."
  • The improvement isn't just the drive itself, Fitzgerald said, but the hardware pipeline that moves key pieces of data — visuals, sound, etc. — from storage to the game's RAM.
  • For video games, the speed with which data can be read from storage dictates anything from how long it takes the level of a game to load to how big or detailed the game world that the player is seeing can be.

Could it work?

Yes.

Would it be a simple downgrade?

No

The biggest issue would be to change the games design to make it work well on the PS4s slow HDD. Obviously they would have to find a way to make the warps work without making the game unplayable. You really can't have 30-50 second load times between each jump because that would make the game really annoying to play.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
With reported chip shortages until 2023,

this is a prime opportunity for Switch to extend its record breaking near three year #1st place streak of NPD wins.

Imagine Switch being on top for 5 years straight?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Actually there would be some issues making it run on the PS4 without some massive changes. It's not just a simple resolution downgrade. I'll go find the article where I read that.

I believe that and I also believe that they would need to handle the loading differently as the game uses the SSD pretty effectively. I am still pretty confident that it could release on PS4 and still be a good looking game.

I believe that and I also believe that they would need to handle the loading differently as the game uses the SSD pretty effectively. I am still pretty confident that it could release on PS4 and still be a good looking game.

They might have to change the games design to make it work on the HDD. And that could make it feel like a different game altogether.

Nobody wants to go through a 30-50 second load screen every few seconds.

You have no evidence of that. MS is the company all about supporting the last generation. Phil Spencer never said anything about 'believing in generations'. If MS could have gotten Flight Sim working on X1 they would have. There is also no game that works on the X1X but not the X1. You realize it's the same platform right? They have the same CPU and that is the weak link.
I don't know, man...you're the one saying 'if a game isn't present on the previous generation then that means it's a next-gen game"...seriously people, don't you read what you type? Do you actually believe that's how it works? That's laughable. I mean, I guess any sub-par game or even low-budget crap gets to be "next-gen" if it's only released on a "next-gen platform". Gimme a break.

A next-gen game has to leverage next-gen tech, new engines, do some special shit no game on the previous gen could do. If you ask me, the only true next-gen game so far that covers all that and was developed from the ground up with next-gen features is Ratchet & Clank rift apart. Next you'll tell me "The Medium" is a next gen game, lmao. Poorly developed and poorly optimized games don't count if even a very powerful PC can't run it right.

Cyberpunk isn't next gen even if it runs like shit on an Xbox ONE X, the thing is it was developed poorly and rushed and that's what it is. FS2020 is another game that is poorly optimized and suffers from serious framedrops on certain areas even on some of the most powerful GPUs. Does it even have RT yet? It's not a next-gen game, and a 790 can run it and it would run it very well if it wasn't so badly optimized, but hey, that's PC gaming alright.

Last edited:
A next-gen game has to leverage next-gen tech, new engines, do some special shit no game on the previous gen could do. If you ask me, the only true next-gen game so far that covers all that and was developed from the ground up with next-gen features is Ratchet & Clank rift apart. Next you'll tell me "The Medium" is a next gen game, lmao. Poorly developed and poorly optimized games don't count if even a very powerful PC can't run it right.

Cyberpunk isn't next gen even if it runs like shit on an Xbox ONE X, the thing is it was developed poorly and rushed and that's what it is. FS2020 is another game that is poorly optimized and suffers from serious framedrops on certain areas even on some of the most powerful GPUs. Does it even have RT yet? It's not a next-gen game, and a 790 can run it and it would run it very well if it wasn't so badly optimized, but hey, that's PC gaming alright.

Do you have, like any proof that Flight Simulator would run on Xbox one s?

Without any serious compromises?

Scorn, Bright Memory,

Its not odd because thats your argument. Doesn't matter if its published by MS or an indie, if its not on last gen consoles that qualifies it for being "next gen". If thats not your argument then come back with something better.

Thats the weakest definition for an analogy i've heard lmao. An analogy should have similarities between thr comparisons. If you think they were similar you're just as retarded as he is. My justification were the PC benchmarks, his was just to make dumbass remarks like usual.

What inaccurate statement? The fact that it can run on ourdated hardware therefore its not a next gen game? And you think thats equivalent to calling Ratchet a PS3 game?
Why aren't Scorn and Bight Memory current generation games? Because you say so? So you'd classify them as what, Xbox 1 games? If a game is not playable on a last generation consoles it's current gen. It's not that complicated. The Medium is also current generation.

Analogy - a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification. There is nothing in the definition that says the things have to be similar. Maybe YOU don't know what it means. Even in that case a comparison was made between 2 current gen games. You are arbitrarily disqualifying one for nonsensical reasons. His analogy was more apt than your rationale for disqualification. You are just randomly picking titles you feel are current generation and that makes little sense.

What is this about outdated hardware? Name a PC title that only runs on the most expensive hardware. PC games are known for their scalability. Almost any title can run as long as the hardware is decent that is the beauty of PC games. With regards to Flight Sim only a subset of PCs out there ran it well and we can now add Series consoles to the list of devices that can as well. It's a demanding game and one well suited for current generation hardware thus its a current generation game. Really it looks like it's you that needs a better argument.

Why aren't Scorn and Bight Memory current generation games? Because you say so? So you'd classify them as what, Xbox 1 games? If a game is not playable on a last generation consoles it's current gen. It's not that complicated. The Medium is also current generation.

Analogy - a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification. There is nothing in the definition that says the things have to be similar. Maybe YOU don't know what it means. Even in that case a comparison was made between 2 current gen games. You are arbitrarily disqualifying one for nonsensical reasons. His analogy was more apt than your rationale for disqualification. You are just randomly picking titles you feel are current generation and that makes little sense.

What is this about outdated hardware? Name a PC title that only runs on the most expensive hardware. PC games are known for their scalability. Almost any title can run as long as the hardware is decent that is the beauty of PC games. With regards to Flight Sim only a subset of PCs out there ran it well and we can now add Series consoles to the list of devices that can as well. It's a demanding game and one well suited for current generation hardware thus its a current generation game. Really it looks like it's you that needs a better argument.

Because both can easily run on last gen hardware. I'm not pulling this out of my ass like you and your precious little friends do. These devs don't have the man power to make next gen games. Just look at the PC requirements for Scorn for fuck sake lmao. Bright Memory, like Flight Simulator has PC benchmarks.

You do remember what you said right? That "few people thought XSS could run Flight Simulator" but now you want to flip flop your argument that it's "next-gen" based on technicalities and the performance metric doesn't matter eh? You do like to flip flop don't you? Old outdated hardware can run Flight Sim, if you knew that why would you say something stupid like that about the XSS?

Last edited:
Do you have, like any proof that Flight Simulator would run on Xbox one s?

Without any serious compromises?

If MS cared they could optimize the game to run decently on it, Jaguar CPU and all. But the devs didn't do a very good job even on PC...but sure there's enough muscle in a Xbox One X to play it at 30fps/1080p without major compromises. On the Xbox One S case it's doable, again, if they gave a damn about their users which by far are majority playing on a One S, but of course they want people to upgrade and that's Ok.

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm going to repeat what I said back in November.
the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X are supply constrained, sales numbers at this point mean nothing until both are readily available at your local stores..
until then the number of sales is just the number of units they could produce in that timeframe.

Is MK11 the new GTAV? Should we just expect it in the top 10 (combined) outside major game releases temporarily bumping it down?

Sure it won't be too 5 everytime like GTAV but I feel (excluding minecraft) it's the closest thing to it.

Because both can easily run on last gen hardware. I'm not pulling this out of my ass like you and your precious little friends do. These devs don't have the man power to make next gen games. Just look at the PC requirements for Scorn for fuck sake lmao. Bright Memory, like Flight Simulator has PC benchmarks.

You do remember what you said right? That "few people thought XSS could run Flight Simulator" but now you want to flip flop your argument that it's "next-gen" based on technicalities and the performance metric doesn't matter eh? You do like to flip flop don't you? Old outdated hardware can run Flight Sim, if you knew that why would you say something stupid like that about the XSS?
So Bright Memory and Scorn COULD be run on last generation console hardware but money is the only reason you say? With that lame reasoning ANY game could be ported to last generation just dump enough money on it right? Wouldn't it have made MORE financial sense then to develop those games on X1 over the Series consoles seeing how there are more of those devices are out there? Even accepting your premise then why isn't Flight Sim on last generation console hardware sir? Is MS short on cash or something? Are you now trying to argue that MS the company that DOESN'T believe in generations would pass on an opportunity to port its titles to last gen because of financial and manpower reasons? Have you been paying attention to the number cross generational games on the X1? Did you think this all the way through?

You keep talking about outdated hardware but PCs don't have generations like consoles so if that is your argument then ALL Xbox games are not current generation because ALL Xbox games will be on PC. This of course is ridiculous. PC games are scalable and if you are willing to drop the settings enough you could get just about anything to run. This is why the generational argument with PCs makes no sense. Just because you can drop the settings to low on PC doesn't take away from the fact that Flight Sim is a current generation console game dude. I don't even know what you point is if you ever had one.

And where did I flip flop? I have always claimed the XSS was current gen device and despite what some on the board have said, it is just as capable of running current gen games like Flight Sim. I wasn't the one making XSS comparisons to the PS4 and Switch. Flight Sim brought modern PCs to their knees for quite a while and now it can run fantastically on a $299 console. I think it's a testament to the engineering that went into the design of the box. In the end you have totally failed to show why Flight Sim isn't a current generation game. Just because the game is on PC doesn't mean that it isn't current gen CONSOLE game. It was stupid to say that the Flight Sim is not a current gen title because you don't feel like it is. All you had to do was show the X1 or X360 version of the game but its clear you have no logical argument at all.

kingfey

Banned

If MS cared they could optimize the game to run decently on it, Jaguar CPU and all. But the devs didn't do a very good job even on PC...but sure there's enough muscle in a Xbox One X to play it at 30fps/1080p without major compromises. On the Xbox One S case it's doable, again, if they gave a damn about their users which by far are majority playing on a One S, but of course they want people to upgrade and that's Ok.

Initial benchmarks and reviews of the game are in, and many landed at the same destination: Microsoft Flight Simulator is an extremely demanding game that struggles to hit 60 FPS, even at Full HD (1920x1080). The main issue seems to be that the game is heavily CPU-bound; even high-end silicon like the Intel Core i9 9900K or the AMD Ryzen 9 3800 XT work hard to approach the 60 FPS threshold.

It cant even run on the X one X, due to jaguar cpu. So x one S s out of the question.

The reason why it could run on the series console, is due to their cpu being strong. If it wasnt for that, flight simulator wouldnt have run on it.

Initial benchmarks and reviews of the game are in, and many landed at the same destination: Microsoft Flight Simulator is an extremely demanding game that struggles to hit 60 FPS, even at Full HD (1920x1080). The main issue seems to be that the game is heavily CPU-bound; even high-end silicon like the Intel Core i9 9900K or the AMD Ryzen 9 3800 XT work hard to approach the 60 FPS threshold.

It cant even run on the X one X, due to jaguar cpu. So x one S s out of the question.

The reason why it could run on the series console, is due to their cpu being strong. If it wasnt for that, flight simulator wouldnt have run on it.
Poorly developed games tend to do that. The Medium also runs like shit on modern top tier rigs...a Single A game with mediocre programmers behind it. What does that prove?

kingfey

Banned
Poorly developed games tend to do that. The Medium also runs like shit on modern top tier rigs...a Single A game with mediocre programmers behind it. What does that prove?
Flight simulator being poorly developed? please give me better jokes.

Flight simulator isnt a simple game, where you poo poo, shoot shoot.

You are loading cities, landscapes, clouds. This is more taxing than simple Npc.

Even Cyberpunk2077 has issues loading npc and cities on low devices that you are talking about.

Now do those landscapes on flight simulator, and tell me how those systems can handle it?

The medium is using 2 camera settings, so it will do badly on those systems. Its like saying ratchet and clank can run on base ps4.

Flight simulator being poorly developed? please give me better jokes.

Flight simulator isnt a simple game, where you poo poo, shoot shoot.

You are loading cities, landscapes, clouds. This is more taxing than simple Npc.

Even Cyberpunk2077 has issues loading npc and cities on low devices that you are talking about.

Now do those landscapes on flight simulator, and tell me how those systems can handle it?

The medium is using 2 camera settings, so it will do badly on those systems. Its like saying ratchet and clank can run on base ps4.
Oooo please don't say more, my head may spin out of its socket with all that fast-pace action and so many things happening at once! Lmao can it even run multiple aircrafts on the world at the same time? Weather sucks, no realistic thunderstorms, typhoons, or blizzards. Water physics are nowhere, can't even simulate a proper emergency landing on water. Where did all the effort go? Ah yeah, cities, landscapes...CLOUDS!! Take all the breaks you'd like, you don't need them for this game though lol

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Oooo please don't say more, my head may spin out of its socket with all that fast-pace action and so many things happening at once! Lmao can it even run multiple aircrafts on the world at the same time? Weather sucks, no realistic thunderstorms, typhoons, or blizzards. Water physics are nowhere, can even simulate a proper emergency landing on water. Where did all the effort go? Ah yeah, cities, landscapes...CLOUDS!! Take all the breaks you'd like, you don't need them for this game though lol
I guess you really dont understand the point of flying. My bad. Its best for me to stop this topic.

I guess you really dont understand the point of flying. My bad. Its best for me to stop this topic.
Apparently the point is to have a pretty screensaver. I can see most people leaving the game on Autopilot and on queue on Quick Resume on the Xbox, at least that will rake in the "engagements hours" MS so desperately seeks.

So Bright Memory and Scorn COULD be run on last generation console hardware but money is the only reason you say? With that lame reasoning ANY game could be ported to last generation just dump enough money on it right? Wouldn't it have made MORE financial sense then to develop those games on X1 over the Series consoles seeing how there are more of those devices are out there? Even accepting your premise then why isn't Flight Sim on last generation console hardware sir? Is MS short on cash or something? Are you now trying to argue that MS the company that DOESN'T believe in generations would pass on an opportunity to port its titles to last gen because of financial and manpower reasons? Have you been paying attention to the number cross generational games on the X1? Did you think this all the way through?

You keep talking about outdated hardware but PCs don't have generations like consoles so if that is your argument then ALL Xbox games are not current generation because ALL Xbox games will be on PC. This of course is ridiculous. PC games are scalable and if you are willing to drop the settings enough you could get just about anything to run. This is why the generational argument with PCs makes no sense. Just because you can drop the settings to low on PC doesn't take away from the fact that Flight Sim is a current generation console game dude. I don't even know what you point is if you ever had one.

And where did I flip flop? I have always claimed the XSS was current gen device and despite what some on the board have said, it is just as capable of running current gen games like Flight Sim. I wasn't the one making XSS comparisons to the PS4 and Switch. Flight Sim brought modern PCs to their knees for quite a while and now it can run fantastically on a $299 console. I think it's a testament to the engineering that went into the design of the box. In the end you have totally failed to show why Flight Sim isn't a current generation game. Just because the game is on PC doesn't mean that it isn't current gen CONSOLE game. It was stupid to say that the Flight Sim is not a current gen title because you don't feel like it is. All you had to do was show the X1 or X360 version of the game but its clear you have no logical argument at all.

It took you this long to come up wtih such a bullshit waffled response lmao?

Here i'll give you mine with this simple image, Scorms system requirments. A supposedly next-gen game, that can run on shit like this lmao

y776r6I.jpg

Try and think a little more before you start to waffle again yeah? And please don't make another worthless point about scalablility again like that doesn't apply to consoles. I trust you're not that dumb

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A game that shouldn't be able to run on obsolete hardware
You better say goodbye to that sooner or later.

The gens are blending, and not too long from now what you're expecting will be pretty far between. With some tweaking, pretty much all games can run on a hardware one gen before it. You're gonna have to look forward to much farther into the future.

How about leap frogging one or two gens? Just stay away from gaming for 7 years, and then come back and enjoy the improvements.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
So in July MS has FS and Switch has Skyward Sword.

I think Sony may be third again. Possibly not though if they ship enough.

It took you this long to come up wtih such a bullshit waffled response lmao?

Here i'll give you mine with this simple image, Scorms system requirments. A supposedly next-gen game, that can run on shit like this lmao

y776r6I.jpg

Try and think a little more before you start to waffle again yeah? And please don't make another worthless point about scalablility again like that doesn't apply to consoles. I trust you're not that dumb
It takes a brave man to call people dumb and stupid and retarded on the internet but when you can't win an argument with logic and reasoning, resort to name calling. Well done.

I didn't see anywhere in your post where you proved that Flight Sim isn't a current generation console game. I didn't see you link to the X1 version or any other console version of Flight Sim or Scorn for that matter so it appears you posted more irrelevant nonsense. You also appear to be confusing PCs and consoles. Then again coming from the guy who didn't know what an analogy was it's not surprising. You don't like Flight Sim fine but it is every bit the current gen title as Ratchet 2021 like it or lump it.

Top Bottom