• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Shmunter

A portable XSS would have been weaker and more expensive as evidenced by the Steam Deck. People are already (falsely) claiming the XSS is holding back the generation. Those folks would go into full mental breakdown if the XSS was even weaker. The XSS is a perfect system for it's core audience, that audience doesn't buy systems early in its life cycle; that's what makes those people casuals. It is a system designed for year 3 on. By that time it will be even cheaper and it's library undeniable.
A system for year 3 in year 1? Something not quite right with that is there?

Why does it seem like some people are more invested in Xbox having bad sales than actual Xbox gamers caring about positive sales?

I don't understand the obsession with how many units a console might sell. Why does that matter so much in the gaming community?
Well part of it is console warz and Xbox is an easy target. There is also a belief that more consoles sold means shows a successful product. That's true but with MS they have multiple ways to be successful and consoles aren't the only way they make money.

A system for year 3 in year 1? Something not quite right with that is there?
It makes perfect sense when you don't want to fragment your audience. The XSS is part of a 4 pronged strategy where you cover high end console, low end console, cloud and PC. All four don't have the same appeal but are all vectors into the Xbox ecosystem. Why wouldn't you release all of vectors at once? MS isn't doing the same thing as the Japanese console makers.

So why producing so many of them instead of giving priority to the Series X?

Have you already applied for a position at Xbox? Seems they used the wrong strategy, they might need your help going forward.
The XSS is cheaper and easier to build. That is part of the reason it exists; a low cost of entry game console that has the same features as the more expensive options. It will be supported for the next 6+ years. It makes perfect sense.

Gosh, it was meant to show it keeps up with next gen games.
Exactly. People compared the XSS to the Switch and PS4. That clearly is not true.

arvfab

Banned
The XSS is cheaper and easier to build. That is part of the reason it exists; a low cost of entry game console that has the same features as the more expensive options. It will be supported for the next 6+ years. It makes perfect sense.

Ok, but you said it's too early for casuals, yet they produced more Series S than the market currently wants, as it is gathering dust in the shops of many countries. Instead they could have produced more Series X.

Clear miscalculation on MS part.

oh, ok. sales thread you know.
One could say showing a low end console handling high end games is a selling point. Few here thought the XSS could run Flight Simulator.

Ok, but you said it's too early for casuals, yet they produced more Series S than the market currently wants, as it is gathering dust in the shops of many countries. Instead they could have produced more Series X.

Clear miscalculation on MS part.
I disagree. Production takes time. To wait until the demand builds up in the future means an even greater lag getting the product out when it is needed most. Way better to have product on store shelves for the impulse buyer.

Let's see how the holiday season goes when MS biggest games for the year get released. If no one buys the XSS when Halo, Forza and all those other Game pass games are available there might be a problem.

Shmunter

It makes perfect sense when you don't want to fragment your audience. The XSS is part of a 4 pronged strategy where you cover high end console, low end console, cloud and PC. All four don't have the same appeal but are all vectors into the Xbox ecosystem. Why wouldn't you release all of vectors at once? MS isn't doing the same thing as the Japanese console makers.
You wouldn’t release vectors that don’t work? It’s pretty basic.

You wouldn’t release vectors that don’t work? It’s pretty basic.
Doesn't work according to whom? Sony fans on this forum are hardly experts on MS sales strategy. Again the XSS is selling fine in N. America and Europe will come around as the library fills out. Last generation wasn't fantastic for MS. Reputation building takes time and money. MS is making great moves thus far.

arvfab

Banned
I disagree. Production takes time. To wait until the demand builds up in the future means an even greater lag getting the product out when it is needed most. Way better to have product on store shelves for the impulse buyer.

So Series X RIGHT NOW is not required for the hardcore folks, the guys actually waiting to have a chance on each drop to get one. Instead it is better to have consoles nobody wants (currently, at least) sitting on shelves...

Yeah sounds really logical.

So Series X RIGHT NOW is not required for the hardcore folks, the guys actually waiting to have a chance on each drop to get one. Instead it is better to have consoles nobody wants (currently, at least) sitting on shelves...

They have focused more on Series x. About 1:2 ratio (don't have source, read it here).

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Let's see how the holiday season goes when MS biggest games for the year get released. If no one buys the XSS when Halo, Forza and all those other Game pass games are available there might be a problem.
At 300 bucks the XSS is a fantastic value honestly. I thought about buying one to replace my Xbox One several times already.

mejin

One could say showing a low end console handling high end games is a selling point. Few here thought the XSS could run Flight Simulator.

It is like Valve saying they didn't find a game that couldn't run on Deck.

I mean when we talk about Series S sales potential...even in Japan Series X is selling better than S. That's really something you should observe. It's not just a question of price, if it was that Switch Lite wouldn't be what? 1/4...1/5 of the switch sales.

You could also think PS4 and Bone X still barking is a solid reason for ignore Series S right now, but still the fact remains: Series S is on the stores worldwide wainting for pick up.

I'm not mocking people who gets a feeling Series S will get their show time later. Everything can happen, I just wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing another Xbox SAD.

Shmunter

Doesn't work according to whom? Sony fans on this forum are hardly experts on MS sales strategy. Again the XSS is selling fine in N. America and Europe will come around as the library fills out. Last generation wasn't fantastic for MS. Reputation building takes time and money. MS is making great moves thus far.
It makes no sense. Put your MS is holier than thou and can never falter aside and just look at it objectively.

What part of the XSS being easier to produce isn't clear? It's not like MS doesn't want to produce more XSXs but there is a global chip shortage after all. The XSS SOC has higher yields per wafer.

Lmao what? It's not even a next gen game of course it could run it
Flight Simulator isn't on last generation consoles and many PCs struggle to run the game. It certainly is a next generation game.

It is like Valve saying they didn't find a game that couldn't run on Deck.

I mean when we talk about Series S sales potential...even in Japan Series X is selling better than S. That's really something you should observe. It's not just a question of price, if it was that Switch Lite wouldn't be what? 1/4...1/5 of the switch sales.

You could also think PS4 and Bone X still barking is a solid reason for ignore Series S right now, but still the fact remains: Series S is on the stores worldwide wainting for pick up.

I'm not mocking people who gets a feeling Series S will get their show time later. Everything can happen, I just wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing another Xbox SAD.
Until the enthusiasts get the higher end device sales of the XSS aren't really a big deal. Many people only buy 1 console and if you want the high end box you'll wait. I agree that price isn't the only factor games matter too and Xbox will be getting a stream of games as the year progresses. There is no way this is a digital console issue either when the digital X1 came out there were tons of better options. This is a different situation.

It makes no sense. Put your MS is holier than thou and can never falter aside and just look at it objectively.
I don't see your point and you are far from objective when it comes to MS and thier products. It's just your own biases talking.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Easy to look next-gen when you're just looking at scenery
raw

Thirty7ven

Banned

Brainiacs over here trying to convince the rest that Series S sales will be on an upwards trajectory even though we’re going through the craziest time in the industry’s history, where demand for new tech has never been higher. Even though 299 price point historically means big sales, big brain people developing the thesis that we should only start analyzing Series S sales once MS starts giving them away with your happy meal.

Shmunter

Brainiacs over here trying to convince the rest that Series S sales will be on an upwards trajectory even though we’re going through the craziest time in the industry’s history, where demand for new tech has never been higher. Even though 299 price point historically means big sales, big brain people developing the thesis that we should only start analyzing Series S sales once MS starts giving them away with your happy meal.
It’s amusing. And some even gets antsy about it when raising the obvious. Right in front of them. Clown world.

proandrad

The only thing those sales numbers for Xbox and PlayStation tell us at the moment, is that Microsoft was able to make more consoles that month.

but still a cross-gen game, as every PC game is, held back by old, obsolete hardware.
When did the PC start defining console generations? The game isn't available on last generation consoles. Cross gen has never been a term to define PC titles. You guys are really twisting yourself in knots over this. It's a current gen game just like Ratchet and Clank.

Don't worry I 100% believe retardation will be curable one day

Hang in there champ
Always a sign when you have no argument when the name calling starts. It's alright to simply admit you are wrong bro.

So the next God of War isn't a next gen game?
Better argument than anything he's said so far. It's spanning multiple console generations unlike Flight Sim which is exclusive to this generation. That's because Flight Sim is a next generation game.

Always a sign when you have no argument when the name calling starts. It's alright to simply admit you are wrong bro.
Where was the name calling? You want to show disrespect i'll do the same.

Edit - Ah you mean him. Yeah well retardation is a serious thing. I feel sorry for him

Last edited:
Where was the name calling? You want to show disrespect i'll do the same.

Edit - Ah you mean him. Yeah well retardation is a serious thing. I feel sorry for him
He isn't retarded just because you don't like his point. He used an analogy. It shouldn't be too hard to prove your point. You don't think Flight Sim is current gen? Name other consoles it's on aside from the Series. If you can show it running natively on any previous generation console you'd be right. Simple. I'd even agree with you.

He isn't retarded just because you don't like his point. He used an analogy. It shouldn't be too hard to prove your point. You don't think Flight Sim is current gen? Name other consoles it's on aside from the Series. Ifthe you can show it running natively on any previous generation console you'd be right. Simple. I'd even agree with you.

Your simplistc argument doesn't stand unless you also believe all the low budget indie crap that aren't coming to last gen are also next gen games, but if that's enough to make you believe a game is "next-gen", then i can see why you like to talk about casuals so much

He's retarded because he makes retarded posts, and don't worry i only bestow that title upon you if you make enough of them. You're on your way there Darky

Edit - What analogy did he use? Do you even know what an analogy is?

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

Last edited by a moderator:
When did the PC start defining console generations? The game isn't available on last generation consoles. Cross gen has never been a term to define PC titles. You guys are really twisting yourself in knots over this. It's a current gen game just like Ratchet and Clank.

Better argument than anything he's said so far. It's spanning multiple console generations unlike Flight Sim which is exclusive to this generation. That's because Flight Sim is a next generation game.
It could perfectly run on an Xbox One X, but MS has no interest in doing that for marketing, budget and logical reasons.

sendit

I never heard anyone say that XSS would be the big seller early on. Early adopters are enthusiasts and they would want the high end model. The XSS is for casuals and will be the system for the long haul as the generation proceeds, the library gets larger, and the price drops. The XSS does NOT have lots of stock in the US. It's always European stores that have the system in stock.
The Series S needed to make an impact in the short term to get people in to next gen. The manufacturing cost of the XSX is only going to get cheaper.

Your simplistc argument doesn't stand unless you also believe all the low budget indie crap that aren't coming to last gen are also next gen games, but if that's enough to make you believe a game is "next-gen", then i can see why you like to talk about casuals so much

He's retarded because he makes retarded posts, and don't worry i only bestow that title upon you if you make enough of them. You're on your way there Darky

Edit - What analogy did he use? Do you even know what an analogy is?
What low budget indy games are only on next gen consoles? Most indy games hit last gen consoles and work on current gen too. Your comparison of an indy title and Flight Simulator is odd as well. Fight Sim is a big budget game that many PCs struggled to run well and relies on the cloud for data streaming. It's also not on any last gen consoles. Again Flight Sim is a current gen game its not cross gen and it isn't last gen. I don't get what you are even arguing anymore.

An analogy is a comparison used to make a point. You made an inaccurate statement about Flight Sim and he made one about Ratchet. If anything is retarded both of those comparisons were but he was joking and you were serious.

It could perfectly run on an Xbox One X, but MS has no interest in doing that for marketing, budget and logical reasons.
You have no evidence of that. MS is the company all about supporting the last generation. Phil Spencer never said anything about 'believing in generations'. If MS could have gotten Flight Sim working on X1 they would have. There is also no game that works on the X1X but not the X1. You realize it's the same platform right? They have the same CPU and that is the weak link.

The Series S needed to make an impact in the short term to get people in to next gen. The manufacturing cost of the XSX is only going to get cheaper.
The sales of the XSS does not determine the success of the Xbox Series this generation. It is one of many ways MS can make money. The XSX is still selling well and that is enough to keep people excited about this current generation. The XSS is the system for the long haul and for causals.

What low budget indy games are only on next gen consoles? Most indy games hit last gen consoles and work on current gen too. Your comparison of an indy title and Flight Simulator is odd as well. Fight Sim is a big budget game that many PCs struggled to run well and relies on the cloud for data streaming. It's also not on any last gen consoles. Again Flight Sim is a current gen game its not cross gen and it isn't last gen. I don't get what you are even arguing anymore.

Scorn, Bright Memory,

Its not odd because thats your argument. Doesn't matter if its published by MS or an indie, if its not on last gen consoles that qualifies it for being "next gen". If thats not your argument then come back with something better.

An analogy is a comparison used to make a point. You made an inaccurate statement about Flight Sim and he made one about Ratchet. If anything is retarded both of those comparisons were but he was joking and you were serious?

Thats the weakest definition for an analogy i've heard lmao. An analogy should have similarities between thr comparisons. If you think they were similar you're just as retarded as he is. My justification were the PC benchmarks, his was just to make dumbass remarks like usual.

What inaccurate statement? The fact that it can run on ourdated hardware therefore its not a next gen game? And you think thats equivalent to calling Ratchet a PS3 game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom