• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NJ) Anti-bullying law sparks new fights as accused students appeal in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

rCIZZLE

forgets that we were talking about the bullying of kids.

But makes a good attempt at accusing people of hypocrisy anyway.

Much of what people said can be applied to bullying that goes beyond childhood.

I don't see how someone can claim to be so much against verbal abuse but then go on to mock people both in and out of threads about verbal abuse/bullying.

Dude Abides

Banned
Much of what people said can be applied to bullying that goes beyond childhood.

I don't see how someone can claim to be so much against verbal abuse but then go on to mock people both in and out of threads about verbal abuse/bullying.

Are you seriously comparing snarky comments on a message board for people 18 and older to kids bullying each other in school?

mavs

America is well on it's way to criminalising everything. It's a bad road to be on. The country has an almost biblical view of crime and punishment.

I don't think you understand the justice system. This is administrative law, not criminal law.

rCIZZLE

Are you seriously comparing snarky comments on a message board for people 18 and older to kids bullying each other in school?

Is it for 18 and older? Thought the only extra requirement was the email one. Seems to be some minors posting birthdays and such from time to time.

Still, wouldn't you expect someone that claims to be very much against bullying or verbal abuse, regardless of the target's age, to avoid intentionally putting down other posters?

If you have to go to court for calling someone a fat ass fuck it I'm on the bullies side if society is going to be that fucked.
Are you also on the wife abuser's side when he's in court for verbally abusing his wife?

And people telling kids to "deal with it" or "stand up to them" ... Smh yeah that's worked so well for the last forever. I want to see what you have to say when it's your child that is being bullied and suffers developmental problems because of it, or worse. I mean did you really think this through?

Dude Abides

Banned
Is it for 18 and older? Thought the only extra requirement was the email one. Seems to be some minors posting birthdays and such from time to time.

Still, wouldn't you expect someone that claims to be very much against bullying or verbal abuse, regardless of the target's age, to avoid intentionally putting down other posters?

Not really. If someone is being abusive to you, PM a mod.

Mal'ice

Neo Member
Hell, I was bullied to hell and back when I was in school. I remember once, I snapped and beat the shit out of him. We weren't in school yet so no one noticed. I never heard from him again.

I would be surprised If anyone argued that we need to do something about bullying. It can destroy life in more way than one, but I don't think that sending kids to court is the answer... I have a hard time believing that someone who is bullied would seek out the school authorities, unless the problem is REALLY severe. Still, it's better than nothing. The only way I see positive change is by changing education (kids and parent), but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

railGUN

Banned
Hell, I was bullied to hell and back when I was in school. I remember once, I snapped and beat the shit out of him. We weren't in school yet so no one noticed. I never heard from him again.

I would be surprised If anyone argued that we need to do something about bullying. It can destroy life in more way than one, but I don't think that sending kids to court is the answer... I have a hard time believing that someone who is bullied would seek out the school authorities, unless the problem is REALLY severe. Still, it's better than nothing. The only way I see positive change is by changing education (kids and parent), but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The kids in court are the bullies. They initiated the case, they're not there because of their bullying.

zoku88

This will likely be challenged under free speech. I'm not sure if an insult can be a crime. I don't think it should be. Bullying is an enormous issue, but I don't feel like this is the solution. As a society, we can not force people to be great parents and it's a shame that courts are having to get involved to make children accountable.
Harassment is illegal.

And as people already have said, these aren't criminal proceedings.

Rajack

This is a hell of a statement. While teachers are human, and some treat students they don't like unfairly, I've seen nothing to suggest its at the epidemic level as students bullying each other is.

Its far more common than you think, especially among children with mental and developmental disabilities. A child with something as simple as ADHD can be stigmatized, singled out and tortured emotionally by teachers and principals through the use of the school's disciplinary system. Private schools with far stricter rules are much more prone to having teachers that single out and bully students. The younger they are, the worse it often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom