• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's operating profit for full FY 19/20 is higher than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy (and some by a lot!)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They are doing it right for their fans/market but their approach would never work for Sony or Microsoft

Imagine Sony or MS coming out with lower tiered hardware and making a lot of Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, types of games... it would not be received well lol
Sony could dedicate more studios to kid friendly stuff. LBP was abandoned way too early. And they let crash go when he had a chance to be their Mario

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes, but nothing beats selling a bunch five or more year old games again for full price, sometimes higher than the original version (DKCTF...).

Isn't New Super Mario Bros 2 60$ on Switch even though it's like 20$ on Wii U? The same game, less than 1GB in size. Backwards compatibility is something that I imagine Nintendo won't be supporting anytime soon.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony could dedicate more studios to kid friendly stuff. LBP was abandoned way too early. And they let crash go when he had a chance to be their Mario
Yeah I'm not saying they shouldn't have 2-3 Nintendo like platformers on PlayStation, I think it would be great if Little Big Planet and Crash make a return exclusively for the PS5 or new platformer IPs but there's a limit

I think Concrete Genie should've gotten more marketing but that's another story

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yeah I'm not saying they shouldn't have 2-3 Nintendo like platformers on PlayStation, I think it would be great if Little Big Planet and Crash make a return exclusively for the PS5 or new platformer IPs but there's a limit
Yeah I think 3 local multiplayer and kid friendly games like Mario kart, Mario party, and smash Bros (maybe they'd be in a better position to do a Sony smash Bros now and get real Dante and other actual characters and not do super only kills)

Thirty7ven

Banned
You honestly dont think there is not one Nintendo game of the last 10 years for anyone other than 6 years old and below? And someone disagreeing with you is a biased fanboy?

It seems you have the bias.

Not commenting on ridiculous claims that only kids can play Nintendo games and not feel bad about it.

But the thread title is objectively false and misleading, and should be fixed....

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nothing to be celebrated, charging a high fee to play their games, years after initial release and well after making profit is just anti consumer and a large part of the reason I don't buy anything Nintendo.
everybody right to choose like you have but Nintendos strategy pays off for them. not defending Nintendo here because I think the game prices are to high but it is working for them

Bryank75

Banned
LWrEFYG.png

take a look at the cash and debt for Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo is far more healthier than Sony(whole company).

Your source has no year on it and is completely incorrect.

This website has full financial reports, breakdowns and other key metrics / KPI's up to date.

As you can see cash on hand is nearly 3 times more than Nintendo, also Sony's debt / equity ratio is very healthy and since debt is so cheap at the moment, if you were going to make an acquisition or make large investments, it makes sense to use debt financing.....

leo-j

It's significantly better than anything either have or will ever produce so well deserved.
I have to kindly disagree. I mega finished BOTW also. Amazing experience and game. But you can argue sony has made first party that can compare.

OT:

you can expect first party software to be more expensive for a longer time because of ninty. Ps4 is still $299 and $399 for a reason also.

leo-j

Yeah I think 3 local multiplayer and kid friendly games like Mario kart, Mario party, and smash Bros (maybe they'd be in a better position to do a Sony smash Bros now and get real Dante and other actual characters and not do super only kills)

They kinda tried it with the ratchet and clank remake(which I thought was a meh game) and lbp 3(which sold a couple millions) and knack(meh game).
They have spiderman, but I hope this JAK remake rumored to come out on ps5 and the new crash bandicoot are all the real deal. I need good platformers, mario odyssey wasn’t my cup of tea especially coming from a guy who adored mario 64 and sunshine. Yookalaylee was my must anticipated game and it didn’t live up to expectations either.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They kinda tried it with the ratchet and clank remake(which I thought was a meh game) and lbp 3(which sold a couple millions) and knack(meh game).
They have spiderman, but I hope this JAK remake rumored to come out on ps5 and the new crash bandicoot are all the real deal. I need good platformers, mario odyssey wasn’t my cup of tea especially coming from a guy who adored mario 64 and sunshine. Yookalaylee was my must anticipated game and it didn’t live up to expectations either.
I really enjoyed the first yooka laylee despite it's flaws simply because it scratched an itch I hadn't had scratched by anything but ratchet and Mario for generations. I don't really enjoy super challenging 2d platformers but love collectathon 3d ones. Definitely need more of those. The PS2 Trinity of ratchet, Jak, and sly is amazing

Great Hair

Banned
At this point in time isn’t the PS4 relativly cheap to produce also? I mean the tech is 7 years old so be fairly cheap same with xbox

Still bigger in volume, requires way more components, distribution costs are easily higher than switch´s (1x PS4 pack = 5x switchs?) etc. if they are making any profit on sold ps4, gotta be tangible at best.

But since Nintendo includes their scummy mobile games and Sony PS does not, this is again just apples vs oranges**. Nintendo will never lower the price tag of their 1st party games, it´s their main source income, not even when the Switch 2 is out, you will not be able to get BOTW at $10.

Pretty sure that they rely way more on physical sold copies than Sony or Microsoft, where we´re reaching 50% marketshare (digital).

The Nintendo eShop ties all purchases to the system they were made on, meaning you can't download and play a purchased 3DS game on multiple 3DS systems even if you log into all of them with the same Nintendo Network ID. This also means that if your console breaks, you'll lose all the digital games you bought for it, so bear that in mind before dropping hundreds of dollars on downloadable Switch games.

for funnsies, game size comparison, PS4 vs Switch, totally offtopic ;)
2019 Switch games file sizes
https://pastemo.com/?265546c5401a5cd4#2XmFAuAJsbq31cRgdTLK5PapRf9Spk3oGSnpYbDw3FF9

17x games over 20GB, biggest being NBA2K19 at 30GB (roughly 450GB)
81x games over 10GB to 19.9GB (roughly 1.2TB)
140x games over 5GB to 9.9GB (roughly 1,000GB) (roughly 1TB)
653x games over 1GB to 4.9GB (roughly 2TB)
1886x games over 5MB to 999MB (roughly 950GB)

Switch library around 5.6 TB heavy (2777 games, early 2019) of which

1. 8% are 20GB or bigger.
  2. 21% are 10GB to 20GB (Zelda sits at 14GB?)
  3. 18% are 5GB to 10GB
  4. 36% are 1GB to 5GB
  5. 17% are 0 to 1GB

Even if the biggest pack (4) is way higher in size than the top 3 combined (close enough), doubt that it will generates as much heat, traffic as tier (2) or (3).

PS4 game size range from 0.1GB to 50GB (U4), maybe even higher (no list avaib.) Total games according the store with classics 6,197

<155 TB heavy PS library (6,197 games)
<69TB heavy PS4, PS3, Bundle only (2,765 games)
<37TB heavy PSN only (COD at 40GB, 1869 games)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Still bigger in volume, requires way more components, distribution costs are easily higher than switch´s (1x PS4 pack = 5x switchs?) etc. if they are making any profit on sold ps4, gotta be tangible at best.

But since Nintendo includes their scummy mobile games and Sony PS does not, this is again just apples vs oranges**. Nintendo will never lower the price tag of their 1st party games, it´s their main source income, not even when the Switch 2 is out, you will not be able to get BOTW at $10.

Pretty sure that they rely way more on physical sold copies than Sony or Microsoft, where we´re reaching 50% marketshare (digital).

for funnsies, game size comparison, PS4 vs Switch, totally offtopic ;)
2019 Switch games file sizes
https://pastemo.com/?265546c5401a5cd4#2XmFAuAJsbq31cRgdTLK5PapRf9Spk3oGSnpYbDw3FF9

17x games over 20GB, biggest being NBA2K19 at 30GB (roughly 450GB)
81x games over 10GB to 19.9GB (roughly 1.2TB)
140x games over 5GB to 9.9GB (roughly 1,000GB) (roughly 1TB)
653x games over 1GB to 4.9GB (roughly 2TB)
1886x games over 5MB to 999MB (roughly 950GB)

Switch library around 5.6 TB heavy (2777 games, early 2019) of which

1. 8% are 20GB or bigger.
  2. 21% are 10GB to 20GB (Zelda sits at 14GB?)
  3. 18% are 5GB to 10GB
  4. 36% are 1GB to 5GB
  5. 17% are 0 to 1GB

Even if the biggest pack (4) is way higher in size than the top 3 combined (close enough), doubt that it will generates as much heat, traffic as tier (2) or (3).

PS4 game size range from 0.1GB to 50GB (U4), maybe even higher (no list avaib.) Total games according the store with classics 6,197

<155 TB heavy PS library (6,197 games)
<69TB heavy PS4, PS3, Bundle only (2,765 games)
<37TB heavy PSN only (COD at 40GB, 1869 games)

ah didn't realise they included mobile games. I still think they massively doing something right

Pallas

It’s not that shocking to me, they develop pretty good first party titles and the Switch is starting to hit their groove with third party developers, something they haven’t had since the N64 and Gamecube days. It also doesn’t hurt that they rarely go down on price for their games on the switch ... is the Switch card more expensive than the blu-Ray discs? I know the N64 carts were crazy expensive compare to the PS1 discs back in the day, so I wonder if this applies as well?

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
ah didn't realise they included mobile games. I still think they massively doing something right

True, they have the current kids and their kids on "lockdown" ;) Sony Music FateGrand was 2019 most profitable mobile game, ppl. spending up to $4,500 a month on items (bloomberg article).

Hosting that many games, has to cost sony quite a bit. Amazon charges between $0.05 to $0.10 per GB. Having your 1st party games locked at $60 for decades helps a lot.

Not sure if Sony or MS could do that.

Overall both have high expenses
Nintendo revenue with mobile at 13Bill, profit 3bill
Sony PS revenue no mobile at 18Bill., profit 2bill.

Kokoloko85

Thats what happens when your fanabase pays £50 for games, games from several years ago and hd updates from last couple gen lol.

Good for them, they needed it after the Wii U.
They better keep there work up, because they could easily have a Gamecube Or Wii U issue next gen. NIntendo fans have a deep hardcore base, but they mostly do well because of commercial fans

Ogbert

Sony could dedicate more studios to kid friendly stuff.

But here's the thing - they can't do it.

If the could, they would. A 'kid friendly' platformer that sells millions and millions would have to have gameplay that's better than Mario Odyssey.

Just in the same way Nintendo doesn't make high fidelity melodramas where you hold down a button to trigger a climbing animation, Sony doesn't go near Nintendo's turf.

If Nintendo games flop commercially= "Big trouble in Japan"
If Sony games flop = Sony ain´t gonna cry much, as 3rd party is where the dough is at (well it would still suck balls, but at 30% cut (like Valve) for each sold 3rd party title would ease the pain quite a bit, having reached 1.2bill. there´s a lot of $$ to be had)

True, when a Sony game flops it's not a big deal, there is another truth here as well though: When a Sony console flops, they can't push it to success themselves, their first party output doesn't have the strength to do that (that's not a game quality judgement ofc). That's essentially the story of the Vita vs the 3DS.

Kokoloko85

Lol. Of course.

Watch out lads, they're doomed next gen.

So you think they shouldnt keep there work up?
Or you just want to make an arguement for no reason?

Lol of course, who would of thought after Nintendo’s biggest selling console the Wii the Wii U would be such a failure....?

Who would of thought Nintendo cant sell the cheapest ever launch console at £130 console called the camcube??........ (such an amazing console too)

Watch out lads, this fan think Nintendo has been selling like the Switch since the Nes.. newbie alert

Im a Nintendo Fan, Im just hoping they Keep the current formula and make sure they add to it and keep improving like they have. Having such a great portable machine is helping them alot, are they gonna stick to a home console next gen, another hybrid?

Doubt can they can charge £50 for the witcher 3 next gen, just like Playstation and Xbox cant make as much money through there HD ports of the PS3 and 360 era

Great Hair

Banned
Fun fact, Playstation has outsold every Nintendo console apart from the Wii Lol

Sony PlayStation also reached 5Bill. software sales few months ago, before Nintendo. On half the platforms and 13 years less market time ;)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
But here's the thing - they can't do it.

If the could, they would. A 'kid friendly' platformer that sells millions and millions would have to have gameplay that's better than Mario Odyssey.

Just in the same way Nintendo doesn't make high fidelity melodramas where you hold down a button to trigger a climbing animation, Sony doesn't go near Nintendo's turf.
Would've been nice if you'd have just said they're two different things but instead you decided to insult Sony's games. And yes Sony can make platformers at or near Nintendo's quality. Now obviously the brand name of Mario gets you a lot of sales and the nostalgia factor wouldn't be there to make it critic proof but they've never really invested in multiple generations for a mascot.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Nintendo hit that sweet spot where their fanboys have grown and now indoctrinate their families and buy their kids all Nintendo stuff.

lol they're not going to get their kids xbox/sony m-rated games which are many of their best games. nintendo games are going to be a natural choice when parents have to get their kids a game. sony/microsoft are locking themselves out of the kid market in this sense.

Eanox

Devaluing games is bad for the industry. More devs should strive to make games people will enjoy and appreciate years after release, and have no need for a price cut to keep on selling.

Did you even look at the charts? They are making profit And with so many games to compete they need to do it. That is not devaluing. It’s a strategic move to keep your game selling with tons of games to compete with.

Imagined $60 dollar game with more than a hundred games to choose from and you can only choose 1. Developers knows this and we as gamer should not wish for it. A lot of facepalm on your post.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
lol they're not going to get their kids xbox/sony m-rated games which are many of their best games. nintendo games are going to be a natural choice when parents have to get their kids a game. sony/microsoft are locking themselves out of the kid market in this sense.
I played GTA as a kid. Of course kids can have mature games.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So you think they shouldnt keep there work up?
Or you just want to make an arguement for no reason?

Lol of course, who would of thought after Nintendo’s biggest selling console the Wii the Wii U would be such a failure....?

Who would of thought Nintendo cant sell the cheapest ever launch console at £130 console called the camcube??........ (such an amazing console too)

Watch out lads, this fan think Nintendo has been selling like the Switch since the Nes.. newbie alert

Im a Nintendo Fan, Im just hoping they Keep the current formula and make sure they add to it and keep improving like they have. Having such a great portable machine is helping them alot, are they gonna stick to a home console next gen, another hybrid?

Doubt can they can charge £50 for the witcher 3 next gen, just like Playstation and Xbox cant make as much money through there HD ports of the PS3 and 360 era
Nintendo proved with Mario kart this gen they don't even need to make a new game. They can literally upgrade the graphics a little and the brand of the franchise will sell it. I think they've got a pretty solid baseline just releasing their usual suspects each gen. And their portables have always done well. Home consoles were certainly declining so they've all but eliminated their presence there by just going the switch route

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not commenting on ridiculous claims that only kids can play Nintendo games and not feel bad about it.

But the thread title is objectively false and misleading, and should be fixed....

TBH i wasnt paying attentino to the thread in general. Do you have a suggestion for a title?

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I played GTA as a kid. Of course kids can have mature games.

some parents will allow their kids to play M-rated games but many parents won't until they're in their teens at least. Chances are kids will spend a good amount of time/years with Nintendo games before they'll have a chance to get at Sony/Microsoft games.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
some parents will allow their kids to play M-rated games but many parents won't until they're in their teens at least. Chances are kids will spend a good amount of time/years with Nintendo games before they'll have a chance to get at Sony/Microsoft games.
Yeah true or they just stop playing games after childhood or just do mobile games

imsosleepy

Something insane to think about is the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales. There was a thread recently showing something like 25M sales.

Nintendo is the developer and publisher of that game. When a copy is bought on their digital store, they get essentially 100% of the cut. When a physical copy is sold at retail, they get, what? 70%? I don't know.

The point is, 25M copies at $60 is $1.5B and they get an absurdly high percentage of that revenue. And it's a fucking port of a Wii U game, so it cost them next to nothing to develop for Switch. That's one single title in their Switch lineup.
and with these sales.. you would think they would improve their digital store but they are like.. NOPE

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Isn't New Super Mario Bros 2 60$ on Switch even though it's like 20$ on Wii U? The same game, less than 1GB in size. Backwards compatibility is something that I imagine Nintendo won't be supporting anytime soon.
At least NSMBU (not NSMB2, that is a 3DS game) was full price originally. But DKCTF released at 40€ on Wii U and now is full price on Switch...

Honestly this is super shocking to me. Theres maybe one game that was any good from nintendo in the last 10 years or so - Zelda: BOTW, the rest of the pack is complete shovelware, if you're over 6 years old.

Xh8P3Vn.gif

SEETHE harder.

Cause he's right?

Real talk here, you have to be objectively retarded to believe Nintendo has only done "complete shovelware, if you're over 6 years old." You're either trolling, which is bad enough, or you're actually a complete moron, no other way about it.

Top Bottom