• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's operating profit for full FY 19/20 is higher than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy (and some by a lot!)

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you stop adding what is not on title it will magically be accurate also.

Explain because it's starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The OP starts with a graph that shows in numbers that the title is wrong, and what the title means in English is Nintendo OP FY 19/20 > (Sony G&N, EA, ActiBlizz, Capcom, Konami, Sega Sammy, Ubisoft), because that's what combined means.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Do you see the word EA or ActivisionBlizzard in the title?

giphy.gif

Closer

Explain because it's starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The OP starts with a graph that shows in numbers that the title is wrong, and what the title means in English is Nintendo OP FY 19/20 > (Sony G&N, EA, ActiBlizz, Capcom, Konami, Sega Sammy, Ubisoft), because that's what combined means.

Sony G&NS+Square Enix+Konami+Sega+Capcom+Ubisoft = do the math vs Nintendo

This is OPs math.

This is your math:

SonyG&NS+Activision Blizzard+EA+Bandai Namco+Take-Two+Square Enix+Konami+Sega Sammy+Capcom+Ubisoft

Can you see the difference?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You have to really dig deep into the budget and expenditures, to be fair. However, why hasn’t Nintendo started to purchase developers? It would help keep their pipeline flowing and be able to counter the lack of 3rd party AAA support in 2021/22

I see some people saying Sony should try to compete with Nintendo in “kid” market but unless they get really lucky, it won’t work. It’s not just that those games are great platformers, karting, or RPGs, they are before anything else, great brands. People are buying brand. And these companies have already formed identities. Consumers know what to expect from each of them.

Yea, sure, if Crash stayed with Sony throughout this time and they nurtured it like they should have, I could see it potentially being in Mario league today. But it was basically abandoned for two decades and my god, it had such a great start and future potential.

If I was Sony, I would continue to push Knack series just for the sake of it and for all the mocking memes on the internet. You never know when you can strike gold. GTA was relatively niche franchise up until GTA3. 😁

Xh8P3Vn.gif

SEETHE harder.

Real talk here, you have to be objectively retarded to believe Nintendo has only done "complete shovelware, if you're over 6 years old." You're either trolling, which is bad enough, or you're actually a complete moron, no other way about it.
Nice one. No sensible argument to use against infantile Nintendo in sight so let's throw some insults...
Did you vote Trump by any chance?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This is the saltiest thread I’ve seen in a long time. Wow!

Some of these posts are absolutely insane. How old are you guys? You don’t own every console? Console wars are for middle schoolers.

this thread in visual form:

BzoV3Tz.jpg
Owning every console would be quite redundant especially if you're not into Xbox exclusives. I've wanted to get a switch for awhile but can't justify it with such a backlog

Animagic

Banned
Owning every console would be quite redundant especially if you're not into Xbox exclusives. I've wanted to get a switch for awhile but can't justify it with such a backlog

For me, I have to have Forza and Forza Horizons. But yeah, they’ve only got like 3 strong first party game series right now.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
For me, I have to have Forza and Forza Horizons. But yeah, they’ve only got like 3 strong first party game series right now.
I don't even get GT on PS. Not into racing games other than some Kart racers and the old Burnout games. If you love racing Sims I can see needing it. I know some car nuts that pretty much only play ones of those

Thirty7ven

Banned

Switch is an awesome console. There's no other like it, and if you're into "quirky" games there's nowhere else better to find them.

But time is not unlimited, sure.

Last edited:
This is the saltiest thread I’ve seen in a long time. Wow!

Some of these posts are absolutely insane. How old are you guys? You don’t own every console? Console wars are for middle schoolers.

this thread in visual form:

MS has not even disclosed their profits.
They could be worse than UBI.

I don't know why Sony fanboy is so frustrated.

Stevonidas

Good for them! Their games are always at full price, right? Good strategy.

Also, who's gonna buy 3rd party games to play on the Switch? If you have the choice, of course.

Skyrim
Witcher 3
Streets of Rage 4
Rocket League

are just a handful of games I play regularly on Switch despite owning the "superior" Xbox One X and PC versions. Why? Because I like Nintendo's pro controller the best and the ability to take/dock my Switch anywhere in the house with me.

Mozza

It is funny when some call Nintendo for making kids game as they call it, but would have little issue if Sony brought "Little big planet back" for the Playstation, of course this will be o.k because there will be lts of mature games to go with it, but in the reality the Switch also has more mature games on it too, I also bet if Nintendo ever go third party all these gamers will be all over the "Kiddie" content. ;)

Mozza

Why exactly? They have much higher margins than their competition.. generally how profiting works.

"Yeah they make shit for cheap and sell it for high prices..."

If the above post is not meant to cause a reaction I don't know what is, if you had simply posted that Nintendo's games are produced for little money, then sold for more, there would be little isssue, the "Shit" in the comment is not needed imho.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"Yeah they make shit for cheap and sell it for high prices..."

If the above post is not meant to cause a reaction I don't know what is.
It's... true?

I never said they didn't offer a product of value. People clearly value their products enough to buy them in large quantities; they manage to do it with much lower costs than their competition... that equates to much higher profits.

Something only investors should give a shit about; anyone else having an emotional reaction either way needs serious help. Nintendo fans bragging about how much Nintendo profits off of them will NEVER get old lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is funny when some call Nintendo for making kids game as they call it, but would have little issue if Sony brought "Little big planet back" for the Playstation, of course this will be o.k because there will be lts of mature games to go with it, but in the reality the Switch also has more mature games on it too, I also bet if Nintendo ever go third party all these gamers will be all over the "Kiddie" content. ;)
All of it, all the BS hate on anything Nintendo are come from "graphics", just look at NeoGF as a whole, half the discussion here is about graphics. Entire reason people are pissed at Switch's success is because the entire idea of under power system selling well makes them angry.

oagboghi2

It's... true?

I never said they didn't offer a product of value. People clearly value their products enough to buy them in large quantities; they manage to do it with much lower costs than their competition... that equates to much higher profits.

Something only investors should give a shit about; anyone else having an emotional reaction either way needs serious help. Nintendo fans bragging about how much Nintendo profits off of them will NEVER get old lol
This shit isn't true. Game developers are not paid based on the cost of the machine they work on. A game like BotW or Mario Odyssey is not cheaper to make than any PS4 or XBX game.

Older components costs are not inherently that much cheaper than a slightly newer hardware build.

The argument that Nintendo games are cheap to make is retarded, and just shows how little "gamers" understand even the basics of this industry.

Mozza

All of it, all the BS hate on anything Nintendo are come from "graphics", just look at NeoGF as a whole, half the discussion here is about graphics. Entire reason people are pissed at Switch's success is because the entire idea of under power system selling well makes them angry.

It's because they do not see the appeal of a system with modest power, they just can't comprehend there are customers out there that do not care about any of this, there will be many PS4 and Xbox One customers who don't care either, as gaming is only a minor hobby for them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's because they do not see the appeal of a system with modest power, they just can't comprehend there are customers out there that do not care about any of this, there will be many PS4 and Xbox One customers who don't care either, as gaming is only a minor hobby for them.
Power of consoles only matters in gaming forms but outside of that most people just like to play fun games, that’s biggest reason Switch selling well.

Mozza

It's... true?

So Sony fans have never been proud of the fact they beat Microsoft this generation, give me a break fella. ;)

I know this is a bit non-applicable but:

Microsoft reported $39.2 billion net income for FY 2019. I know very little of that is the gaming division, but think about the resources that they CAN throw at it to make it competitive with Nintendo & Sony.

Mozza

This shit isn't true. Game developers are not paid based on the cost of the machine they work on. A game like BotW or Mario Odyssey is not cheaper to make than any PS4 or XBX game.

Older components costs are not inherently that much cheaper than a slightly newer hardware build.

The argument that Nintendo games are cheap to make is retarded, and just shows how little "gamers" understand even the basics of this industry.

Even more so when you consider the development time for a game like Zelda breath of the wild.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
You have to really dig deep into the budget and expenditures, to be fair. However, why hasn’t Nintendo started to purchase developers? It would help keep their pipeline flowing and be able to counter the lack of 3rd party AAA support in 2021/22
I think they have some trepidation, over becoming too large operationally. If they have to, they would rather outsource than buy a developer.

I remember back in the early PS3 days, Sony were manufacturing some of their own hardware parts, and that was considered non-ideal for Nintendo. They'd rather own brands and IPs. and outsource the heavy lifting.

That way, if a unexpected crisis hits, they'd be able to downgrade their spending almost immediately, and with no additional costs.

Nintendo is all about stepping on eggshells. And being safe, financially.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nintendo will be able to make more big budget games in the future.
They can also increase development team.

they could do it now and have always had the cash to do that, they choose to make games their way and it works. am surprised Microsoft and Sony haven't tried more to tap into the market Nintendo has. Nintendo is all about games appealing to a wide variety of people not just hardcore fans, its netting them a lot of cash to

Top Bottom