• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | Q&A

- One person complaining that it was difficult to get to the shareholder's meeting
- Another person complaining that he/she was not able to obtain the Fire Emblem limited hardware edition
- Another person wanting Miyamoto to go on crazy adventures around the world
- Another person wanting a special private session with Iwata, Takeda, and Miyamoto to present his/her ideas
- Another person wanting the Wii U to be able to play DS games

Who are these people? LOL

One investor was concerned that there were no women on the board of directors. Safe to assume the person asking was a woman?

Effect

That was great too. "3rd parties aren't making games that push the limits of the Wii hardware! You gotta teach 'em how!"

That's really not an unreasonable thing to say. It's true in the end. Look at what Nintendo does and what 3rd parties did. Of course that's because Nintendo actually cared. The why is important but at least someone called out the discrepancy in quality of the games on the system. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Penguin

That's really not an unreasonable thing to say. It's true in the end. Look at what Nintendo does and what 3rd parties did. Of course that's because Nintendo actually cared. The why is important but at least someone called out the discrepancy in quality of the games on the system. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Yeah, and it can only help with 3rd party relations.

Now how many of these answers will be taken out of context to create a fun headline on a major site?

Even with all the stupid questions that come out of these I love that we still get some interesting information into Iwata's plans of the future and thoughts about the direction of the company.

Now how many of these answers will be taken out of context to create a fun headline on a major site?

The one about certain gamers noticing a small difference in graphics certainly will. I think the biggest question is how many of these quotes will end up right back as individual threads.

Penguin

Even with all the stupid questions that come out of these I love that we still get some interesting information into Iwata's plans of the future and thoughts about the direction of the company.

The one about certain gamers noticing a small difference in graphics certainly will. I think the biggest question is how many of these quotes will end up right back as individual threads.

Well that's the cycle

it will be a headline on a website
Someone will post the thread here
Someone will point out we already have a thread discussing the entire interview
"But this deserves its own thread"

Rinse and repeat

onQ123

Interesting how Iwata has repeatedly stated the difference in graphics between the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox 720/Loop/8 whatever isn't going to be significant, unlike the Wii/PS3/360, in which Iwata acknowledges the Wii was far behind in graphics.

I would assume he knows more than any of us, and maybe the next Xbox and PS4 really aren't going to be as advanced as we are expecting?

if the Wii U has a GPGPU it should be capable of most of the graphical effects that the other 2 will be using just scaled down.

Berg

I think there will be. If the Wii U will run UE4 like we saw it, or Star Wars 1313 like we saw it, I will eat my own ass.

I'm willing to believe PS4/720 will be able to run those games.

You're exactly the sensitive person who he's referring to. Yea, we all know it looks better...not the SD to HD leap, but it is different.

You're exactly the sensitive person who he's referring to. Yea, we all know it looks better...not the SD to HD leap, but it is different.

Sensitive? Nah. Hey I'm looking forward to the Wii U as much as many others here (have it set to alert me when it becomes available for pre-order on Amazon), but I'm being realistic.

From the preliminary specs we're hearing about the PS4/720 and what the Wii U's supposed to have, I bet we'll see a large amount of 3rd party devs heavily scaling back games, heck, if not gradually abandoning Wii U development 2 or more years into the Wii U's lifecycle altogether.

It's not a big deal to me really, it's all about the Nintendo games for me with the Wii U.

From the preliminary specs we're hearing about the PS4/720 and what the Wii U's supposed to have, I bet we'll see a large amount of 3rd party devs heavily scaling back games, heck, if not gradually abandoning Wii U development 2 or more years into the Wii U's lifecycle altogether.
I think market conditions rather than hardware specs will be the big determining factor there. Wii U could go either the way of PS2 or the way of Wii pretty easily.

I expect PS360 will also be getting "prime" support much longer than previous consoles did after generational transitions. Amd not just the annual COD/WWE/EASports junk either.

Kazerei

Banned
- One person complaining that it was difficult to get to the shareholder's meeting
- Another person complaining that he/she was not able to obtain the Fire Emblem limited hardware edition
- Another person wanting Miyamoto to go on crazy adventures around the world
- Another person wanting a special private session with Iwata, Takeda, and Miyamoto to present his/her ideas
- Another person wanting the Wii U to be able to play DS games

LOL, that's the great thing about general meetings. Anybody can show up and throw in a question.

Sensitive? Nah. Hey I'm looking forward to the Wii U as much as many others here (have it set to alert me when it becomes available for pre-order on Amazon), but I'm being realistic.

It's not a big deal to me really, it's all about the Nintendo games for me with the Wii U.

There are two notions:
1. Wii U games looks worse compared to PS4/Nextbo
2. Wii U doesn't get the game due to being underpowered

I am fairly positive in the case of #1, a lot of people won't care enough to buy another console just because of graphics; as long as the games are there. I am also mostly positive on the PC, most people don't have high end hardware to play games in their highest possible IQ.

TheOGB

Banned
To create such excellent games, I hope Mr. Iwata and Mr. Miyamoto will go through various experiences, including deadly adventures like crossing the Sahara on camelback or exploring the Amazon, full of piranhas, anacondas and crocodiles, together with the company’s other game creators.
lvs4x.gif
Sonic Team did that

we got Sonic Adventure because of that

Fabrik

Banned
I love this quote:

"The video game business is known for the characteristic that it is pretty hard to forecast a sales outcome before the subject product is actually launched in the market. If employees cannot work comfortably due to a concern for the fluctuations of their compensation condition in accordance with such ups and downs, we cannot create a working environment where they can steadily create unique, out-of-box products because although these products may be called revolutionary later on after being widely accepted in the world, they are more likely to be criticized as crazy ideas in the beginning. In order to create such a product steadily, it’s our policy not to place our employees in a situation where they have to be excessively influenced by our immediate financial performance."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I love this quote:

"The video game business is known for the characteristic that it is pretty hard to forecast a sales outcome before the subject product is actually launched in the market. If employees cannot work comfortably due to a concern for the fluctuations of their compensation condition in accordance with such ups and downs, we cannot create a working environment where they can steadily create unique, out-of-box products because although these products may be called revolutionary later on after being widely accepted in the world, they are more likely to be criticized as crazy ideas in the beginning. In order to create such a product steadily, it’s our policy not to place our employees in a situation where they have to be excessively influenced by our immediate financial performance."

And this is why through thick and thin I'll love Nintendo: they are first and foremost a game company and they actually care about making games all the way to the top.

Fall Conference.

It looks like they are pointing toward a Fall Conference. But being realistic, I don't expect Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Final Fantasy U, Miyamoto Unique Game 1, Miyamoto Unique Game 2, AND ETC AND ETC AND ETC to ALL be there :p

andthebeatgoeson

One investor was concerned that there were no women on the board of directors. Safe to assume the person asking was a woman?

Could just be Yamauchi. Who do you think he takes to the love hotels but semi-hot high level execs and board members. Yamauchi does not take generic gutta trash. Queens and Princesses service the great One.

Q9: Comparing the company’s stock price of a year ago with the price now, it’s dropped more than 50%. This means that the company’s assets have shrunk in the same proportion and, as the result, the asset per share has decreased as well.

TLDR: Stocks, how do they work?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm surprised nobody asked if Nintendo intends to attract non gaming applications on the tablet, such as what we can find on iOS or Androïd.

It surely was more important to talk about the difficulty to get to the shareholder's meeting :-/

andthebeatgoeson

I'm surprised nobody asked if Nintendo intends to attract non gaming applications on the tablet, such as what we can find on iOS or Androïd.

It surely was more important to talk about the difficulty to get to the shareholder's meeting :-/

They didn't ask that but he commented, in a way:

When I read the reports by newspapers and other media, there are stories which say that social gaming has caused Nintendo’s earnings to go down. As a matter of fact, in Japan, there are quite a few people who are concerned about the impact of these social games and when I take interviews with domestic media reporters, most of the time they ask me about competition with social games. However, when I go outside Japan, nobody asks such a question. Instead, what they ask is, “Given the situation that smartphones have spread so widely and people don’t have to buy video game hardware and, at the same time, game software can be purchased at inexpensive prices, what will Nintendo do from now on?” The truth is that the issue of social games is a Japan-only phenomenon. So, at E3 this year, nobody asked me about the competition with social games. In this opportunity, I would like to tell you that the perception in Japan and that in the overseas countries are different as a matter of fact. Needless to say, because smartphones are spreading widely, the time has come when people do not have to buy video game hardware to play games that have certain appeal and have very inexpensive prices. In order for dedicated video game hardware to be needed continuously, it is necessary to provide games with fun elements unique to a certain video game system which cannot be realized on smartphone devices. We would like to introduce such games one after another.

From the answer to the 9th question. Read the whole thing so you don't get confused about the difference between social and mobile. Some comments, w/o context, can be confusing.

To answer your question: they are not interested in replicating tablet or smart phone environments. They want to differentiate from them and give people a reason why they still need consoles (two screens). It seems some of the lessons of last gen are not lost on them when they are in the opposite position.

Another subject is the Wii U. There are some media reports saying the Wii U may not be a revolutionary product like the Wii. When I was interviewed by media reporters overseas at E3 recently, their comment was, “The Wii appeared to be a promising product to succeed from the beginning; however, Wii U does not look that way.” People have forgotten what the real story was. For the Wii, before its launch and right after its announcement, the feedback was similar to that of the Wii U. In other words, when something unique comes up, it’s difficult for people to understand it at the beginning. A lot of misunderstandings and pessimistic observations, like, “Will a product like this really spread in the market?” prevail and then after some time, after being able to experience it, the atmosphere changes. In fact, when the Wii was showcased at E3 in 2006, there were a lot of news stories which reported the strong receptions of the Wii by the visitors to the show; however, the questions I was asked then and there were all tough questions. Almost every one of the reporters asked, “How in the world are you going to compete with SONY or Microsoft with a product like this?” Everyone has forgotten what the real situation was. Then, in hindsight, I think some people say, “I was convinced about the success of the Wii from the beginning” only after looking at the results. Nintendo has to fight the lasting impression of the Wii business that once exploded. We know as our mission that we have to fight strongly before the launch time and overcome this situation. However, we ask you to understand the aspect I just described.

TLDR: Iwata basically ethered GAF. Seems like Ninty does a lot of market research on themselves and their products. They seem to have a highly nuanced view of themselves. Makes me feel like they do get it and the past 2 E3s have been bad luck or planning. Maybe some trouble with the games and not the platform? Some transitional problems going to HD?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What I found funny about that was I expected them to come rolling in Royces being driven and whatnot. How much of a share do you need to attend this meeting?

Q13
I don’t think that the current Nintendo is making full use of its potential. I believe that there is a way to improve your business more and more by taking advantage of what you already have. As I have a specific plan for it, I would like to make a 10-minute presentation to Mr. Miyamoto, Mr. Takeda and Mr. Iwata as soon as tomorrow if it is possible.

A13
Iwata:

It is difficult for all of us to devote time to your specific plan. However, if you can communicate with one of our employees available here today, we will definitely hear about your ideas by receiving his/her report.

Okay which of you was this

GDGF

Soothsayer
Iwata said:
It is difficult for all of us to devote time to your specific plan. However, if you can communicate with one of our employees available here today, we will definitely hear about your ideas by receiving his/her report.

Now every shareholders meeting is going to be full of people clutching design documents.

watershed

Banned
There have been some bad questions asked at these shareholders' meetings before but the guy's story about getting "terribly lost" and his suggestion for a more convenient meeting place was baffling. A true wtf moment in the middle of reading Iwata's thoughts.

watershed

Banned
Okay I take it back, there were some pretty stupid questions asked this time. Like that guy who basically asked for a 10 minute Nintendo Direct on the spot.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Iwata basically said this at the last shareholder meeting and pointed to Western support 3rd party support coming at E3.

So what did we get at E3? Castlevania, Scribblenauts, Epic Mickey... what else?

EDIT: I actually thought this was the other thread about the 3DS Western support in particular and it turns out I already posted in that thread. It's only 6:30 PM, I shouldn't be this crazy yet.

AntMurda

Iwata basically said this at the last shareholder meeting and pointed to Western support 3rd party support coming at E3.

So what did we get at E3? Castlevania, Scribblenauts, Epic Mickey... what else?

Castlevania comes from a Japanese publisher, Japanese ip, Spanish developer. Certainly not a boast for Western publishers supporting the system. The 3DS line up was SAD. SAD. SAD.

cgcg

We have to remember that this is the same man who said we will say "wow" when we see the Wii graphics capability.

Well technically he was right. A lot of people said "WOW, what a piece of shit."

So he's probably right about WiiU and the next-gen consoles. People will notice little difference..only to those with myopia and refuse to wear glasses.

Well technically he was right. A lot of people said "WOW, what a piece of shit."

So he's probably right about WiiU and the next-gen consoles. People will notice little difference..only to those with myopia and refuse to wear glasses.

Cute

You sound so hardcore.

Amir0x

Banned

I remember for a while after Wii came out there was a very real contingent of individuals that were arguing they couldn't tell the difference between HD visuals and SD visuals... I think even Dragona was one of them. Sometimes people really are just close to blind. One time someone said Dragon Quest IX (I think it was) had better graphics than Uncharted 2. Seriously. Nutcases.

That said, I never understood how visuals are somehow the one thing that this core group of Nintendo supporters never seem to raise their standards for, even though it's one of the cornerstones of what is important in gaming. They raise their standards for controllers, sound, even aesthetic beauty of the console itself... but when it comes to the "graphix", if you acknowledge they're important and note huge distinctions between game packages on this ground, and then make informed purchasing decisions based on this fact... you're an "elitist" who doesn't care about what is "important" in games. Like gimmicky motion based mini-games or some shit!

But more directly to this Q&A, I lol'd at this:

I am afraid I cannot tell you more about our protective measures because the fact is that if we disclose any details here, some might start thinking how to circumvent them to annoy Nintendo. Anyway, we will work steadily on this matter by spending sufficient energy and, if necessary, financial costs.

Seriously, Iwata, I know Nintendo is still in the internet stone age, but I can assure you any so-called "protection" you think you have created has already been circumvented a billion times before by people who actually know how to use the internet. Stop being coy and just admit to precisely what type of police-state policies you're going to implement so we can get a head start on ignoring its dumbness

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That said, I never understood how visuals are somehow the one thing that this core group of Nintendo supporters never seem to raise their standards for, even though it's one of the cornerstones of what is important in gaming. They raise their standards for controllers, sound, even aesthetic beauty of the console itself... but when it comes to the "graphix", if you acknowledge they're important and note huge distinctions between game packages on this ground, and then make informed purchasing decisions based on this fact... you're an "elitist" who doesn't care about what is "important" in games. Like gimmicky motion based mini-games or some shit!

Yeah, I hate this attitude from certain people. Caring about games that have good graphics makes you a "graphics whore" in the eyes of some people. I think it stems from the Nintendo PR line that they are focusing on gameplay and not graphics, as if you can't have both.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People can be so very smart, attacking others they disagree with as nutcases with sweeping generalizations while leaving just enough room to be able to say "we just meant those seriously nuts people, are you one of those to be offended?" when called out for it, as if it's worth bringing them up at all in a discussion. I didn't know people can be that smart! I should take notes.

Btw you can have great graphics that serve their intention and purpose more than merely sufficiently with lower end tech. Not every PS3 game looks like The Last of Us but they sure can look and play great. And if you really want the best graphics around as so important to need to be at the top of the line technically rather than merely aesthetically pleasant to one's tastes then there's really no solution other than the PC, every time, even if it at times may seem like consoles one up them for a short launch period.

I doubt anyone has been called a graphics whore for admiring a game's graphics either, though I could see it happening if one flat out brags about refusing to play a game based on its display resolution or whatever. I mean, any serious PC gamer can easily go back to gog style games, and so could easily play worthwhile Wii or whatever other underpowered or simply older system too. I'd imagine. It's certainly easy for me but yeah, whatever works for others, it's not like I'd promote forcing people to play something they don't enjoy. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't call those who can names or diminish them with out of the blue generalizations.

Yeah, I hate this attitude from certain people. Caring about games that have good graphics makes you a "graphics whore" in the eyes of some people. I think it stems from the Nintendo PR line that they are focusing on gameplay and not graphics, as if you can't have both.

I think its more the people that claim Wii games are unplayable because of their graphics that are somewhat annoying. For example that Xenoblade article from a few months back. I do agree that there are some extreme people who take the mentality too far.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think its more the people that claim Wii games are unplayable because of their graphics that are somewhat annoying. For example that Xenoblade article from a few months back. I do agree that there are some extreme people who take the mentality too far.

I would agree that the opposite is annoying, too, yes. But honestly some of these Wii games looks terrible on HDTV's even with component cables.

Rafaelcsa

I would agree that the opposite is annoying, too, yes. But honestly some of these Wii games looks terrible on HDTV's even with component cables.

They look the same to me as PS2 games and I'm not opposed to how those look at all. Have PS2 games always looked terrible to you? If not, how did those standards change? I'd understand if it were games with PS1 level graphics, because those were always too limited and looked bad even at the time, but Wii/Gamecube/PS2 level is completely fine by me.

I go from my PS3 to my Wii on the same HDTV without trouble. But of course I'm not talking about shovelware games here, those are awful anywhere. More like mid to high level games. Like, say, Sin & Punishment 2. Completely acceptable visuals by my standards on that game and on par with the PS2 levels I was talking about.

Top Bottom