• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | Q&A

They look the same to me as PS2 games and I'm not opposed to how those look at all. Have PS2 games always looked terrible to you?

Kind of a different situation since most of us werent playing PS2 games on our HDTVs last gen. I agree that I can play a PS2 just fine on it but there is certainly a difference between playing SD content last gen and this gen which is why I keep my good old tube around.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
They look the same to me as PS2 games and I'm not opposed to how those look at all. Have PS2 games always looked terrible to you? If not, how did those standards change? I'd understand if it were games with PS1 level graphics, because those were always too limited and looked bad even at the time, but Wii/Gamecube/PS2 level is completely fine by me.

PS2 games look pretty bad on HDTV's as well. I didn't have an HDTV when I was playing through most of my PS2 games. It's more the resolution and lack of AA in Wii games that is annoying rather than the graphics themselves, although I think the graphical power is also a significant factor.

And you don't think standards change when see better looking things? Do PS2 games look anywhere near as good to you today as they did when you first bought your PS2? Even ignoring the fact that HDTV's make them look like shit. I mean, it's similar to, but of course less pronounced, when I fire up a N64 game I used to play all the time when I was a kid and say, "Oh...." when I realize how the bad the game looks today.

deviljho

Have PS2 games always looked terrible to you?

Yeah, exactly. If a person could play PS2 or even N64, then how could they say Wii games are "unplayable." And if you think they look bad specifically on your HDTV, then you probably have the wrong settings for the TV and/or AVR, or your HDTV is a piece of crap.

Even ignoring the fact that HDTV's make them look like shit. I mean, it's similar to, but of course less pronounced, when I fire up a N64 game I used to play all the time when I was a kid and say, "Oh...." when I realize how the bad the game looks today.

I don't buy it. You are basically saying that you have been "desensitized" to older generation graphics.

Yeah, exactly. If a person could play PS2 or even N64, then how could they say Wii games are "unplayable." And if you think they look bad specifically on your HDTV, then you probably have the wrong settings for the TV and/or AVR, or your HDTV is a piece of crap.

Im going to play devils advocate here, but no matter what settings or tv you have it's going to look worse than it should based on the resolution its at. It doesn't make it unplayable though.

Jintor

Seriously, Iwata, I know Nintendo is still in the internet stone age, but I can assure you any so-called "protection" you think you have created has already been circumvented a billion times before by people who actually know how to use the internet. Stop being coy and just admit to precisely what type of police-state policies you're going to implement so we can get a head start on ignoring its dumbness

Stop trying to annoy Nintendo, you cad!

deviljho

Im going to play devils advocate here, but no matter what settings or tv you have it's going to look worse than it should based on the resolution its at. It doesn't make it unplayable though.

if your HDTV can't display 480i properly, then your TV sucks

also, DVD resolution is 480p. but i don't hear people saying DVD video sucks on HDTVs. but the Wii sucks on HDTVs even with 480p because it's a Wii.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't buy it. You are basically saying that you have been "desensitized" to older generation graphics.

How is this even an argument? This phenomenon has to have a name or something. You see something better and it makes the thing that looks worse... look worse.

I am not the only one with this viewpoint. I've seen this many times. Go play an N64 game and see if it is anything like you remember it being. I even played Goldeneye on a non-HD TV and audibly said "Oh my god" at how bad it looked.

if you're HDTV can't display 480i properly, then your TV sucks

Wii games look worse in 480i than 480p. And they don't look great in 480p on HDTVs.

I deeply regret to learn that you had a very unpleasant experience while playing one of our products, and I would like to apologize for having lacked the ability to prevent it from taking place. What happened, I believe, is that a player circulated such modified data for “Animal Crossing” for the Wii, and meant for it to be a bad joke, only to cause a very unpleasant experience for those who witnessed what these modified data did with their game. To explain why this sort of incident happens, video game platforms are equipped with various security features to prevent unauthorized modifications and acts of piracy to play games for free, and in the beginning, these features were effective on the Nintendo DS and the Wii. However, there are people who share information with others through networks and try to break through security as a hobby, and eventually announce the results of their hacking activities through the Internet, resulting in a vicious cycle in which more people are encouraged to use these unauthorized methods. Once they break through our security, we make an effort to fix the security hole, but this turned out to be a futile cat-and-mouse chase as they quickly managed to make a hole in our security system again. As a result, we have been unable to put a complete halt to the circulation of such modified data.

In developing the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS, we recognized that security is an extremely important factor for the sake of our business and in making sure that our consumers feel that playing our products is safe. While some acts of piracy are still possible in its DS-compatibility mode, as we had to ensure that the Nintendo DS software could still be played on the Nintendo 3DS, the Nintendo 3DS itself still maintains a robust security system, even after this much time has passed since its launch. Various attempts have so far been made to compromise the security of the system, but of course, security is like a multilayered fire door. Even if the outermost layer is wrenched half open, as long as there are other layers behind it, I do not believe the system will be hacked in an overly short cycle. Of course, security that is designed by humans is never perfect, but at the same time, should our security fail, we have to come up with a way to update the system. These days, hardware features can be “updated” through a network by downloading a new system itself and replacing the old system with the new one. This does indeed enhance the overall security of the system, but in fact, all of our devices before the Nintendo 3DS had one major problem. They were structured in such a way so that unless the user proactively performed a system update him/herself, the update could never be done.

Although consumers knew that it was better to perform system updates, many did not perform them, as it was often the case that they were simply never made aware that they were available. As with smartphones, tablets, computers and operating systems, many devices today have an auto-update feature, where updates are automatically downloaded when there is an Internet connection, and put on standby, and a message that says “Updates are available for your system. Would you like to proceed?” appears later before the user finally installs the updates. At the moment the Nintendo 3DS’s security remains robust, but we have prepared ourselves to minimize the damage should our security fail. Please note that, in a sense, we learned a very bitter lesson from the Nintendo DS and the Wii, and we have put it to good use in designing the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U.

Is this the first time Nintendo has publically acknowledged the piracy situation on Wii/DS outside of litigation? Words are cheap, but I wonder just how much they ended up beefing up the security on the 3DS.

deviljho

I am not the only one with this viewpoint. I've seen this many times. Go play an N64 game and see if it is anything like you remember it being. I even played Goldeneye on a non-HD TV and audibly said "Oh my god" at how bad it looked.

Wii games look worse in 480i than 480p. And they don't look great in 480p on HDTVs.

How I remember old games or feel about the visuals of old games is irrelevant. We're talking about people who say Wii games are "unplayable," which is ridiculous. I don't denying that you feel they look worse today than 10 years ago, but that it is a silly point of contention.

More importantly, the Wii's 480p output is no better or worse than a DVD output, which is also 480p. You keep thinking that a resolution below 720p will look bad specifically on an HDTV, but it's false.

deviljho

There's a slight difference there....

The difference is based on what the Wii hardware can draw and how fast it can draw it. We are talking about how the display itself processes content below 720p.

We all agree that the Wii isn't the most powerful. But to claim that it doesn't look good on HDTVs is dumb. It looks just as good as it is supposed to based on the frames it is sending.

Is this the first time Nintendo has publically acknowledged the piracy situation on Wii/DS outside of litigation? Words are cheap, but I wonder just how much they ended up beefing up the security on the 3DS.
From my understanding, the 3DS has had a huge beef up on security compared to the DS/Wii.

From my understanding, the 3DS has had a huge beef up on security compared to the DS/Wii.

I find it amazing it hasn't been cracked yet. You could chalk up to not as much interest in these platforms as the last go round but I remember many people were laughing at Nintendo saying it would be cracked in 2 weeks. I just want my region free

deviljho

Err, yes you do. DVD video does suck on HDTVs. That's why we buy Blu-Rays when we can :p

we aren't talking about DVD vs. Blu-Ray. of course 1080p will look better than 480p.

we're talking about lower resolutions on HDTVs. point is, 480p looks exactly like it should when displayed on an HDTV. now, if you think that quality sucks compared to Blu-ray, then you'd be right.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
How I remember old games or feel about the visuals of old games is irrelevant. We're talking about people who say Wii games are "unplayable," which is ridiculous. I don't denying that you feel they look worse today than 10 years ago, but that it is a silly point of contention.
Then I'm not sure why you replied to my post that said this by saying "I don't buy it". PS2 games look pretty shitty on HDTVs.

More importantly, the Wii's 480p output is no better or worse than a DVD output, which is also 480p. You keep thinking that a resolution below 720p will look bad specifically on an HDTV, but it's false.

Wii games look jaggy as fuck on HDTVs, and my DVDs don't look like that.

Utako

Banned
I hate his answer to Q1. Nintendo is the absolute worst with 3rd parties, big and small.

[edit]

He really has a complete meltdown when asked about graphics in Q12. His insistence that graphics won't get much better with new hardware must be kind of insulting to chip makers. That said, he paints a really nice vision for a dual-screen console, and I'm genuinely interested.

Otherwise, Iwata's ability to form a sincere thought and express his company's vision is second to none in this industry.

Utako

Banned
What's bad about it?

In what ways?

Ah, maybe I should have elaborated. The question is essentially gesturing toward the success of indie titles made by small teams and individuals on competing platforms (esp. mobile, where new developers have done great things with the hardware, unlike on Wii). Just a guess, but I would bet that they had thatgamecompany or Rovio in mind. Generally, talented developers who aren't successful yet and can be molded in Nintendo's form.

Iwata all but dodges the question, citing an internship or co-op program, and mentioning Namco, of all things. It show incredibly little dedication outside mainstream gaming.

rpmurphy

Ah, maybe I should have elaborated. The question is essentially gesturing toward the success of indie titles made by small teams and individuals on competing platforms (esp. mobile). Just a guess, but I would bet that they had thatgamecompany or Rovio in mind. Generally, developers who aren't successful yet and can be molded in Nintendo's form.

Iwata all but dodges the question, citing an internship or co-op program, and mentioning Namco, of all things. It show incredibly little dedication outside mainstream gaming.
I didn't really see the question being asked in that way, and with Japan's indie and mobile/social scene having a very different kind of impact on the market compared to North America, I kinda doubt that was the intended meaning. I mean, Wii development being specifically mentioned and about making games independent of hardware performance, the question seems to be pointing towards the fact the Wii was for many developers difficult to make meaningful games due to its unorthodox control system and low hardware specs.

Top Bottom