• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Leak: Custom SoC to feature Ray reconstruction, DLSS 3.5, 2 skus (all digital and physical)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
1abac093-6183-4bd5-9243-0a7541215f86_text.gif

It’s a “It does everything” rumor…

LordOfChaos

Great news if it gets DLSS 3.5, even 2-3 would have been in the good enough camp for it but if it's using the latest that's awesome. A ~PS4 tier GPU plus DLSS 3.5 will finally look pretty good on 4K TVs after the upscaling.

I hope there's a lot of free patches that let Switch games take advantage, beyond automatic resolution scaling. A lot of it just looks too muddy to me.

Last edited:

Reckheim

DLSS 3.5 with a small screen, this could have some real decent performance. Waiting to play the new zelda on this beast.

I can also see Nintendo asking for $500-600 usd for this, they know early adopters will buy it regardless and then wait until components to get cheaper.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Calling bullshit right away, I legitimately do not believe Nintendo would do a digital-only SKU when they still have absolutely paltry internal storage on all models they sell of their consoles/handhelds. Also DLSS 3 would be rather worthless on anything 60hz and below. This is just a lot of "omg its gonna be amazing and do everything".

lestar

Calling bullshit right away, I legitimately do not believe Nintendo would do a digital-only SKU when they still have absolutely paltry internal storage on all models they sell of their consoles/handhelds. Also DLSS 3 would be rather worthless on anything 60hz and below. This is just a lot of "omg its gonna be amazing and do everything".
maybe the all-digital has an SSD expansion slot instead of the card reader

Mowcno

It doesn't have the DLSS 3 frame generation according to the rumour. Just the resolution upscaling as well as the ray reconstruction introduced in 3.5

Even RTX 2000 series cards can use these features.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's DLSS 3.5, not DLSS 3 frame generation. The naming scheme is confusing and stupid as fuck but frame generation is not necessarily part of DLSS 3.5. Ray reconstruction is. The console would need optical flow accelerators and the only ones fast enough for frame generation according to NVIDIA are Lovelace-based GPUs.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
My new budget cheap TV has 48-144hz vrr, freesync, allm, Dolby vision atmos, hdr10+, … any chance, based on the rumors, the new switch will utilize any of that tech?

DaGwaphics

Why an all digital sku for a system that will use a tiny cartridge anyway? Interesting if true, as Nintendo makes a mint on selling the cartridges to third parties.

Wooxsvan

Why an all digital sku for a system that will use a tiny cartridge anyway? Interesting if true, as Nintendo makes a mint on selling the cartridges to third parties.
i think it makes more sense for a portable system to be all digital anyway. you can have many games on a single card rather than carrying around multiple cards for each game.

Wooxsvan

regarding the sd cards, what kinda speed do we think we'll need to buy so that game loading times arent greatly bottlenecked? any guesses?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also DLSS 3 would be rather worthless on anything 60hz and below
The Switch 2 is without a doubt not gonna be running every game at 60fps. We can tell because even the PS5 and XSX struggle with that. DLSS3's framegen could help in those scenarios.

LordOfChaos

they started blocking adblockers. The pricks.

I know they said they would start but I haven't seen it taking place yet, still working here. Rolling out slowly I guess? What about Sponsorblock?

It's truly insufferable without adblock but it's also the streaming service I watch the most, so I guess we're all being funneled into Premium kicking and screaming.

Last edited:

mystech

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this system scales. PS4 level power in handheld and PS4 Pro power when docked seems to be the continuous rumor. That being said, DLSS changes things…

PS4 / PS4 Pro / XSX / PS5 all produce their graphics quality primarily with brute force (other than a handful of cases using AMD FSR which is nowhere near DLSS). A PS4 can only produce PS4 quality graphics because of the limitations in CPU, GPU and RAM. The Switch 2 can now use its power in a much smarter way allowing PS4 level specs to punch way above its weight class (not to mention it will have a much better CPU and more Ram than a PS4). The PS4 Pro had to use brute force to deliver 1440p and 4K resolution. The Switch can use brute force to produce 720p level graphics and then let DLSS handle the rest. As a former game developer, I definitely know how much resolution can impact performance.

With that in mind, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how close this thing can get to PS5 quality. Even if it gives Series S levels of quality, that wouldn’t be too bad.

Wooxsvan

The Switch 2 is without a doubt not gonna be running every game at 60fps. We can tell because even the PS5 and XSX struggle with that. DLSS3's framegen could help in those scenarios.
ya im pretty excited to see how how close or how far it gets to running current gen games. Also wonder if every 3rd party will support it or will there be some that dont like on PC games.

Last edited:

mystech

In regards to the 2 SKUs, obviously take everything with a grain of salt but at the same time, we gotta remember this is a different Nintendo than we had during the Switch development and launch. There’s been a change in leadership since the death of Iwata (rip) and the gaming market as a whole has changed a lot since 2017. We can’t necessarily use Nintendo’s past actions as a determining measure of what they will do in the future.

From a profits perspective, having a digital only system keeps users trapped in their ecosystem where they can maximize profits. From a manufacturing standpoint, it’s tough to judge without seeing the system but if it’s anything like the current Switch, they can easily create a second mold with the same design and dimensions minus the game card slot.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Nintendo will never add any additional latency to their games. Good quality motion blur is enough. BOTW will benefit greatly from this. Also frame gen is about pointless at 30fps.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Its both hilarious and depressing that in terms of architecture and software features Nintendo's portable will probably be superior to even the ps5 pro courtesy of amd lack of ambition and R&D.

Last edited:
Ray reconstruction will be the BIGGEST REVOLUTION since the joystick on the N64 controller for Nintendo software, even moreso than 4k or horsepower. The art direction of most AAA Nintendo games like Zelda, Mario, Metroid are pretty damn jaw dropping but man, you add advanced lighting and reflections and you are in a whole other tier of level of atmosphere and immersion.

Buggy Loop

Ray tracing on a portable hardware
Animated GIF

El oh el?

Snapdragon XR gen 2 chips in phones, Quest 3 and other Asian portable switch copycats have ray tracing.

iPhone has ray tracing

It’s not a special feature. Nvidia releasing a mobile chipset without it, when they’ve had Orin since 2018, would be impossible. Not even Nintendo would sway Nvidia into some stupid custom chip that deviates from RTX.

Although, how much leverage you can get out of it in mobile is another question. But it would fit like a glove with Nintendo’s more simplistic style.

Nvzman

Frame gen is terrible for 30fps --> 60fps because the input lag is still abysmal, you basically need to be targeting 120fps or above for frame gen to be usable.

If you want to know what the Switch 2 will be, just look at what hardware is in plentiful supply and going for cheap as it's been superseded, that's your Switch 2. Hearing about "people who have a good track record of Switch 2 leaks" when nothing official has been announced is a joke, don't give them clicks.

Top Bottom