• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

102 New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I say the market leader is delivering, my most used features besides gaming are screen captures and video recording, both of which have been available since day one.

Streaming and share play are for me the most next gen features right now and only the market leader does both.

To each his own.
'

MS isn't releasing a list of features that only they have.

They are releasing a list of the updates they are delivering monthly. Arguments can be made (rightly) that a lot of these should have been day 1.

But when your competitor has a meme going against it (Stability) you would be dumb not to try and play that advantage up.

Harp

Lots of unnecessary stuff listed there but some awesome updates have occurred, can't say the same for my PS4 which is a shame, totally lacking in comparison and the one big one seems to have gone a bit tits up

You do know that like 85 of those updates you could do on the ps4,since day one right?

Percy

Banned
Microsoft has been fucking fantastic at this. I really hope it pushes Sony to do more feature updates. I'd say Wii U as well but seems like a lost cause now.

Sony just barely manage to avoid destroying your console every time they add a new feature as it is, would you really want them playing firmware Russian roulette with your console more than they do already?

I wish we could disable snap. I don't need my achievements or friends snapped to the side shrinking the game. Even worse is that it took me forever to figure out how to even open the Achievements app by itself without snapping it.

Would you rather have the entire screen covered? It ends up functioning similar to the 360 guide in a lot of ways now.

Snap Center makes me actually use snap more often.

So, that's definitely a thing.

I wish they would add the snap audio mixer to the snap center though. Seems dumb not to.

I'd very much like this. I'd also love to be able to control the volume of the TV with the Xbox Headset adapter. It has a + & - keys, let me use them if the headset isn't' plugged in.

Microsoft have made a lot of progress from the shitty OS at launch but for me it still misses 2 very very important things. Speed and background music.

I really hate how there's a millisecond of lag when i try to enter text, on PS4, it's blazing fast and super responsive, why can't MS solve this problem. It's totally annoying. Apps also take too much time to open sometimes.

Also background music but i guess that one is coming early next year.

Once MS fixes these and adds a way to remote play Xbox One games, like Sony is doing with their products, then the system will be almost perfect to me !

Well,

When the market leader and your largest competitor isn't delivering on this front to nearly the extent you are you need to sell to that point.

I'm sure that MS has some data to suggest that this is a winning point for them, and I'm also sure it's nice for the team to see a PR regarding the work they've done over the year, especially given how maligned the OS was by some at launch and rumors of it not working at all pre-launch that were floated around.

Indeed.

According to some insiders the OS would barely work in some ways.

It must be rewarding for it progress to be appreciated.

malfcn

Has a company ever got so much credit for fixing broken things then Microsoft has in the last year? Having to revamp features in year one means that the previous version was that bad. Also Microsoft has patched in alot of features that the ps4 has had since day one.

Has any other company on earth been given credit for adding volume control on a multimedia device?

You do know that like 85 of those updates you could do on the ps4,since day one right?

Why so upset?

USC-fan

Banned
Really shows you xbone was coming in HOT. Look how much is changed every month.

Love to get a look at what was changing as they got close to launch. Bet they had to pretty much rebuild a lot after the 180's. Maybe that story will come out one day. Sure this is why they were so far behind.

FeiRR

Banned
But when your competitor has a meme going against it (Stability) you would be dumb not to try and play that advantage up.
Not if you want to appeal to adult audience. But they never did anyway.
It is a smart TV. It's a XBR-65X900A - 2013 65" Sony 4k LCD display. Sony is perfectly happy to just let their firmware coast, though.
Funny thing because I got a FW update for my Bravia today. Those come more or less once a month. I don't know what they do. I couldn't care less about 'smart TV'.

Microsoft cares about their OS. This isn't surprising. I should expect the company that is the creator to the biggest OS in the world to do what they do best. It's their obvious strength and something they should be proud of. This is a strong pro and I would think nothing less. It would be far more embarrassing if their OS as a software company was not working but I'm glad they kept things tight. I hope they keep up the good work....

and add tutorials in the system for new comers who are still in the learning curve.

harSon

Banned
Some people just refuse to give props when props are due.

Microsoft has a history of console OS revisions and feature enrichment, and this generation is looking to be par for the course. Not everything has to be doom and gloom.

Microsoft cares about their OS. This isn't surprising. I should expect the company that is the creator to the biggest OS in the world to do what they do best. It's their obvious strength and something they should be proud of. This is a strong pro and I would think nothing less. It would be far more embarrassing if their OS as a software company was not working but I'm glad they kept things tight. I hope they keep up the good work....

and add tutorials in the system for new comers who are still in the learning curve.
There's a really good tutorial system about how to use all the snap and kinect commands that has been there since day one.

Well,

When the market leader and your largest competitor isn't delivering on this front to nearly the extent you are you need to sell to that point.

I'm sure that MS has some data to suggest that this is a winning point for them, and I'm also sure it's nice for the team to see a PR regarding the work they've done over the year, especially given how maligned the OS was by some at launch and rumors of it not working at all pre-launch that were floated around.

Im not convinced, sorry. You have to be certain type of Microsoft fan to be that knowledgable to notice some of this stuff and Im not convinced it would sway anoyones opinion on the system.

If devices sold on features alone, iOS would be a distant memory.

It just feels like preaching to an echo chamber.

alterno69

Banned
'

MS isn't releasing a list of features that only they have.

They are releasing a list of the updates they are delivering monthly. Arguments can be made (rightly) that a lot of these should have been day 1.

I get that, and like i said, good on them, i was just saying that IMO, Sony has delivered so far.

For me, Xbox is the superior multimedia machine, i have my satelite box hooked to it but i don't get all the complaints about the other console being way behind, it does everything i want out of my gaming system, suspend/resume is the only thing it really lacks IMO.
Ñi have never used my consoles for streaming stuff, i don't have anything to stream lol, other than Netflix, which IMO is superior on the PS4.

A killer app for me would be able to stream my the HDMI input in Xbox One to my ipad tho.

There's a really good tutorial system about how to use all the snap and kinect commands that has been there since day one.

Not Kinect. I'm talking about completely navigating the system. For example, to find settings, click here here and here, sort of like when you download and app and it teaches you where everything is before you start using it. The new controller snap tutorial would be nice too for people without the Kinect. I purchased mine with the Kinect so it easy for me to speak to it, but for people without one, I'm not sure if there's a tutorial on how to use all those new features.

StoOgE

You have to be certain type of Microsoft fan to be that knowledgable to notice some of this stuff .

Right,

But open up any single thread for new features for the Xbox One and you will see non owners bemoaning lack of updates for their console or stating that they wish they had feature X.

This is marketing, this isn't a peer review journal if you are looking for a company to make an objective statement about their products I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Harp

Why so upset?
Not upset at all, I own both systems. So I can first hand say that vast majority of the updates are added features that where already available on the ps4. My only point is why give credit for missing or broken features and then knock the other company for not added something they already are doing. Neither system is perfect. But in realty the reason the xbox one has gotten so many updates is because a lot of features were either worse then the 360 or just missing to begin with.

arhra

"... for connected devices". I think they forgot that part here.

I think that's probably referring to the ability to automatically complete updates in standby, including any necessary reboots, which I think was an October feature.

Hit the menu button anywhere on the home screen, and select the Help option in the bottom section of the menu (or just say "Xbox, help" if you have the kinect). It's got troubleshooting guides, text and video tutorials, plus patch notes for every monthly update.

Gowans

I've been massively impressed with MS and their update policy each month.

It's made me feel really supported as a xbox owner, can't wait to see whats next.

StoOgE

I get that, and like i said, good on them, i was just saying that IMO, Sony has delivered so far.

But this press release (and my statement) have nothing to do with whether you like a feature of the PS4 or are happy with that console.

The "advantage" they are pressing is the perception that the MS OS has continued to improve at a steady rate and will do so in the future, while the perception (rightly or wrongly) is that the competitor gives out stability updates.

The hope that the console will do what you want it to do down the road and a commitment to making the system better down the road.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oooh, I've been meaning to look up the list of updates. Glad they went ahead and compiled it. Sony should take note.

Right,

But open up any single thread for new features for the Xbox One and you will see non owners bemoaning lack of updates for their console or stating that they wish they had feature X.

This is marketing, this isn't a peer review journal if you are looking for a company to make an objective statement about their products I'm not really sure what to tell you.

The same could be said in Andriod threads, But fair enough, im happy to just leave it as that.

Bgamer90

Banned
Im not convinced, sorry. You have to be certain type of Microsoft fan to be that knowledgable to notice some of this stuff and Im not convinced it would sway anoyones opinion on the system.

If devices sold on features alone, iOS would be a distant memory.

It just feels like preaching to an echo chamber.

Wow.

Yep, very few would notice features that helped improve the way they interact with their friends on XBL or view media on the system. Very few use the Xbox One for those features -- just the big MS fans.

iOS is different in the sense that new iOS devices are released each year with new features. The Xbox One will stay relevant for at least another four years -- so yeah, many people like the fact that a box they will use for a long time will keep adding more features.

Mindlog

Microsoft have made a lot of progress from the shitty OS at launch but for me it still misses 2 very very important things. Speed and background music.

I really hate how there's a millisecond of lag when i try to enter text, on PS4, it's blazing fast and super responsive,
Until you hit send.

If it only had ONE more feature... Something to capture the moment in a single frame. Stuff like that probably doesn't exist though.

103. Screenshots

I ain't even upset any more. I'm totally over not having the Xbox, screenshot option...

yup, totally over it...

XD7abNz.gif

Hush, you cretins! Do not question the Faceless Hero!

Now press F to pay your respects.

What is this F to pay your respects?

StoOgE

The same could be said in Andriod threads, But fair enough, im happy to just leave it as that.

And plenty of people (myself included) buy Android devices because we are happy with the feature updates and software environment that Google provides.

You don't have to convince everyone with your marketing tactics, just someone.

JLeack

Banned
I've never seen anything like it, honestly. I suppose World of Warcraft updates are similar in quality and consistency.

Guevara

90% of this is stuff I don't care about, which is fine whatever. But some of the items are just laughable: Great you got your TV stuff working in ____ country, or I can finally see what's trending on Twitter.

Oooh, I've been meaning to look up the list of updates. Glad they went ahead and compiled it. Sony should take note.

yeah sony really needs to step up their game and provide us monthly updates like

11. Twitch live streaming support
12. Optical out supports 5.1 Dolby Digital
13. Support for Dolby Digital surround sound over HDMI
37. The ability to add your real name
50. Low battery notification

oh wait it already did all that(and more) by default

More transparency and commenting on what they're ACTUALLY doing would be nice, but lets not pretend that these are 102 features brand new to video games that MS has brought us.
Some were catch up, some were fixes for their fuck ups, and others were adding/improving their specific features to make them actually usable/better

EDIT: it's a benefit to MS that they release monthly things (obviously, by your post) but it's not that both platforms were at parity, with MS updating monthly adding new features and Sony having 1 update in a year.

So close.

You were so close.

But then you fucked up.

Fuck! meant exporting to usb and shit but not using it for actual storage. my mistake

alterno69

Banned
So close.

You were so close.

But then you fucked up.

Kinda, it does support exporting videos ad screens to external devices, i know what you mean tho.

Anyway, MS has done a good job implementing everything from pretty basic no brainer stuff to major stuff like streaming, they still have a way to go but i will commend them on the steadyness of their work.

arhra

Kinda, it does support exporting videos ad screens to external devices, i know what you mean tho.

Not back in March, it didn't.

To be fair, you can replace the internal drive, which is an alternative way to the same end. External support is way more convenient, though (unless you're moving the system around a lot, anyway).

flkraven

yeah sony really needs to step up their game and provide us monthly updates like

11. Twitch live streaming support
12. Optical out supports 5.1 Dolby Digital
13. Support for Dolby Digital surround sound over HDMI
37. The ability to add your real name
50. Low battery notification

oh wait it already did all that(and more) by default

More transparency and commenting on what they're ACTUALLY doing would be nice, but lets not pretend that these are 102 features brand new to video games that MS has brought us.
Some were catch up, some were fixes for their fuck ups, and others were adding/improving their specific features to make them actually usable/better

EDIT: it's a benefit to MS that they release monthly things (obviously, by your post) but it's not that both platforms were at parity, with MS updating monthly adding new features and Sony having 1 update in a year.

Fuck! meant exporting to usb and shit but not using it for actual storage. my mistake

It's so funny when people swoop in and claim that most of Microsoft's updates are just catching up to Sony, meanwhile ignoring the stuff the console does now (or has always done) that the Playstation doesn't.

How is suspend/resume or DLNA treating ya?

jelly

A clean slate of an OS would do that but at least they got their arse in gear and delivered the updates as fast as possible unlike another company.

Top Bottom