• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

102 New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year

BeeDog

Hats off to MS for actually delivering improvements quickly, but the cynical side of moí don't wanna applaud too much since many, many features mentioned in the list really should've been there from day one. Some of them almost scream "oversight/bug fixes".

Now if the junior programmers at the Sony FW HQ could step their game up... ugh.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ok, I'm gonna put my foot down here a bit.

This thread isn't about to become feature list wars.

We can comment about the viability of these updates, which ones matter, which ones should have been there from day 1, which ones should still be there, if these updates matter at all.

Any manner of things positive or negative, but let's not go down the "Yeah, but xyz" "Oh yea ABC" "DEF"

Feel free to discuss things relative to other platform holders, but if your post is literally just a list or a list in disguise don't do it.

Ok, I'm gonna put my foot down here a bit.

This thread isn't about to become feature list wars.

We can comment about the viability of these updates, which ones matter, which ones should have been there from day 1, which ones should still be there, if these updates matter at all.

Any manner of things positive or negative, but let's not go down the "Yeah, but xyz" "Oh yea ABC" "DEF"

Feel free to discuss things relative to other platform holders, but if your post is literally just a list or a list in disguise don't do it.

Thank you, it seems like a lot of people on forums now of days think everything has to be one company vs the other. That shit is unecessary in this thread. I was just curious to see what the new features that Microsoft has been adding every month are because my friends always tells me Microsoft keeps rolling out updates every month. I come in here and it's turning into a Microsoft vs Sony thread, again...

I sold my Day One Edition, but I've been really happy with my XB1 since I repurchased one this spring. They really made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

Edit: Whoa... I'm a member!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Thank you, it seems like a lot of people on forums now of days think everything has to be one company vs the other. That shit is unecessary in this thread. I was just curious to see what the new features that Microsoft has been adding every month are because my friends always tells me Microsoft keeps rolling out updates every month. I come in here and it's turning into a Microsoft vs Sony thread, again...

I don't even care if someone wants to discuss PS4 and it's features in relation to this, that is totally fine.

The end of the last page was getting perilously close to discourse breaking down and numbered bullet points starting up.

IMBored

They have been pretty good about updating, but this list shows how barebones it was on launch. Not to mention the amount of regional support features on the list.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
At Playstation.
5nerkip.jpg

OneUh8

MS has done a hell of a job this year updating their software. Have to hand it to them. I think everyone can be rest assured that the One will continue to improve software wise in the future as well.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Oooh, I've been meaning to look up the list of updates. Glad they went ahead and compiled it. Sony should take note.

They should indeed - for the sake of laughing at how ridiculous these 2 companies are getting trying to sell us a goddam product. I am pretty sure if someone at SCEA gave a rat's ass about such thing s/he could compile a list just as meaty (barring TV DVR fat). If we go by the criteria MS uses here - like listing the most meaningless of additions to an OS functionality - both are close, take a line here or there.

My take of the whole OS saga so far is that despite all of MS "positive" buzz about constant monthly updates etc -- MS is still missing that killer app(feature) to push gamers over the edge towards the Xbox One. They tried with TV, then the heavy emphasis on SNAP but both haven't really caught on as a major differentiator. The only thing they have is "frequency of updates" as the punch-line again and again. That's of course on top of the fact that MS is also employing many more resources to the endeavour than Sony + whatever expertise edge you might want to think matters.

Despite that, it's funny how when it comes to strictly gaming features, Sony prioritized Share-Play and got ahead with something that appeals to gamers from a blunt PR standpoint - and as expected - pushed it hard. Given also the fact that MS had some sort of working version of Family Sharing before hand - which they scrapped - it's mind blowing how they allowed Sony get the feature first. Nonetheless this is a business they are running here so until MS gets that which it craves so much MS will keep beating that punch-line of "update frequency" as a differentiator and it will surely make some buzz with warriors etc - we can see it every day and even in this thread. When you look at the OSes, November 2014, the functionalities of both are very close, give or take a feature absent on either platform.

pr0cs

I think it's probably the best way Microsoft can continue to gain interest.
Their box may not be the better of the HD two in terms of hardware but if they continue to add OS features, customization, integration and other cool stuff then it will make the OS that much more attractive.
I'd like to see something akin to remote desktop on XBO, either to PC or from PC.

Thank you, it seems like a lot of people on forums now of days think everything has to be one company vs the other.

I think its a bit generous to say its 1 vs the other, its just about the other, the one that the thread isn't about, usually...

Im very pleased with OS preview, the frequency of the updates, getting features early and giving feedback. Yes a lot of stuff been added that should have been at launch but they did it quickly and have added some other important stuff with that. I look forward to the next set of updates next year

Kssio_Aug

Not that hard when you launch with a bare bones OS.

Well, since the OS was worst then its main competitor, and now it is much better, I'd say they did a pretty good job there.

Seriously. I did not even bought the XB1 at launch, but when I acquired it... It was definitely lacking a lot of things. Now the system is really complete. They only need to add screenshots and make some adjusts here and there basically.

yeah sony really needs to step up their game and provide us monthly updates like

11. Twitch live streaming support
12. Optical out supports 5.1 Dolby Digital
13. Support for Dolby Digital surround sound over HDMI
37. The ability to add your real name
50. Low battery notification

oh wait it already did all that(and more) by default

More transparency and commenting on what they're ACTUALLY doing would be nice, but lets not pretend that these are 102 features brand new to video games that MS has brought us.
Some were catch up, some were fixes for their fuck ups, and others were adding/improving their specific features to make them actually usable/better

EDIT: it's a benefit to MS that they release monthly things (obviously, by your post) but it's not that both platforms were at parity, with MS updating monthly adding new features and Sony having 1 update in a year.

Fuck! meant exporting to usb and shit but not using it for actual storage. my mistake

Wtf are you doing in this thread whining about transparency about what they're doing?

How much more transparent does ITT get than detailing WVERY THING???

Allforce

Wow.

Yep, very few would notice features that helped improve the way they interact with their friends on XBL or view media on the system. Very few use the Xbox One for those features -- just the big MS fans.

My nephew and nieces XBO isn't even hooked up to their wifi due to their parents not wanting them exposed to online. They have no clue what the thing can do except " can play Lego Marvel and Minecraft"

I got an XBO in June and I couldn't tell you what's different about it now Vs when I bought it, and I'm in the Preview Program! The only way I find out about stuff like "stream content via DLNA, but first download the required "media player" app" or "change your background wallpaper" is via GAF.

Where exactly did they state that?

Also, you sound very salty, lol.

MS didnt, but since MS has been doing the monthly updates there has been a lot of "WHY ISNT SONY GIVING US UPDATES LIKE THIS" everywhere on this forum. No salt, just observation.

It's so funny when people swoop in and claim that most of Microsoft's updates are just catching up to Sony, meanwhile ignoring the stuff the console does now (or has always done) that the Playstation doesn't.

How is suspend/resume or DLNA treating ya?

It's working just fine on my Xbox one

others were adding their specific features to make them actually usable/better

I literally said that some of the updates were adding new features. I didn't ignore anything.

Wtf are you doing in this thread whining about transparency about what they're doing?

How much more transparent does ITT get than detailing WVERY THING???

the post is about the ps4. context clues please.

I meant that in regards to Sony's update policy of "we're gonna announce a thing and if we dont give you an exact date then fuckin deal with it anyway."

Regardless, it's still a good amount of features for MS to add. Some things that I cant understand how they missed the first time (tracking battery life on the controller? seriously?) coming into the xb1 late I dont know how snap was before (i barely use it now as is) but it seems to be fine. 102 new features in under a year is an impressive showing from a software/OS team no matter what

aaronwt

And with all the updates Microsoft still can't get the surround channels mapped properly with 7.1 and higher systems. When using a 7.1 system the surround audio erroneously comes out of the rear surround channels. This is when using the HDMI input or the apps. BD playback and game audio is mapped correctly. The issue has been there since Day 1 and still has not been corrected. I can't seriously use my Xbox Ones for any of the apps or TV viewing. Because it is extremely annoying when audio that should be coming from the sides is coming from behind you instead

alterno69

Banned
It's so funny when people swoop in and claim that most of Microsoft's updates are just catching up to Sony, meanwhile ignoring the stuff the console does now (or has always done) that the Playstation doesn't.

How is suspend/resume or DLNA treating ya?
Truth is this argument can go both ways, suspend/resume is neat, but then if more than one person uses the console it's useless. If i suspend my xbox in the middle of a Forza session and my son resumes it, he has to close the app, he can't just switch profiles and load his save, i can only talk sbout this game cause that's what we play mostly so i don't know if it works like that in all games but it kinda defeats the purpose of the feature.

Both consoles have great features and lack others, i don't see anyone as being the clear superior in general.

RowdyReverb

I see a lot of complaints of padding the list (which is true for things like adding existing features to new regions), but a lot of the features that look pretty minor and nit picky are things that were actually requested by the community. For instance, being able to select multiple game clips for deletion sounds pretty lame, but there were real complaints about not having that ability. It's actually an impressive list of minor features requested by the community and fulfilled by the OS team.

rokkerkory

That's a pretty good list and awesome how we are getting monthly updates.

In a year or so I bet it'll be drastically different, prob time when W10 gets here.

USC-fan

Banned
Well, since the OS was worst then its main competitor, and now it is much better, I'd say they did a pretty good job there.

Seriously. I did not even bought the XB1 at launch, but when I acquired it... It was definitely lacking a lot of things. Now the system is really complete. They only need to add screenshots and make some adjusts here and there basically.
It still feels like they need a ui redesign since most people dont have kinect. Looking at the nttp thread seem this was a main complaint.

But really you get use to the ui over time. the biggest thing they need to work on is the software update system and installing games. Seem a lot of people use the work around where u go offline before installing games. I think phil said they will be addressing this soon in a interview in the last couple of weeks.

Alx

I feel like I can never get snap to work properly. What's the secret?

Use kinect voice commands. ;)
I think an unintuitive part with snap is that it will set the focus to the snapped application. When the user gets confused, he's not too sure if he's controlling the game or the application (hint : when it's the snapped app, its menus are usually highlighted in white).
Use double tap or "Xbox switch" to change the focus to where you want to be.

alterno69

Banned
I think an unintuitive part with snap is that it will set the focus to the snapped application. When the user gets confused, he's not too sure if he's controlling the game or the application (hint : when it's the snapped app, its menus are usually highlighted in white).

Kinect voice commands work like 10% of the time for me, my wife keeps making fun of me cause i stand there talking to this thing that refuses to cooperate :(

What am i doing wrong? I did the set up thing already and it never works in stuff as simple as turning the console on and off.

Purdy

Truth is this argument can go both ways, suspend/resume is neat, but then if more than one person uses the console it's useless. If i suspend my xbox in the middle of a Forza session and my son resumes it, he has to close the app, he can't just switch profiles and load his save, i can only talk sbout this game cause that's what we play mostly so i don't know if it works like that in all games but it kinda defeats the purpose of the feature.

Both consoles have great features and lack others, i don't see anyone as being the clear superior in general.

How is that it going both ways? It would be better to just not have it at all like PS4 ?

You do know that like 85 of those updates you could do on the ps4,since day one right?

You do know I wrote ' a lot of unnecessary' (things you'd expect day one, from both for that matter than neither delivered and my PS4 still hasn't and my Xbox now has)

Wollveren

Banned
I only got my XB1 recently, and I remember playing it at my friends house on release, and I was shocked with how different it was compared to now. Yes its still the same basic OS, but so many things they've added, from nuances to complete new tabs, it really adds up.

So far my favourite update has to be the "Friends" tab and/or the change background option. Those are really smart and nice, just the way they are integrated and nice to see my GS leaderboards compared to my friends. I forget if PS4 has that, have no friends there since I cancelled PS +. Just saving it for uncharted I guess but I digress.

I just have plenty of faith in the XB1 when it comes to the OS. I remember seeing my friends 360 back in the halo 3 days when I had ps3, and then when I got my 360 around Halo: Reach, how DIFFERENT it was. Thats the kind of update I'm hoping for.

Alx

Kinect voice commands work like 10% of the time for me, my wife keeps making fun of me cause i stand there talking to this thing that refuses to cooperate :(

What am i doing wrong? I did the set up thing already and it never works in stuff as simple as turning the console on and off.

Turning the console on is actually the less reliable command, since the console is "half asleep" and doesn't have as much resource dedicated to recognition. But even for that 10% is low (it works most of the time for me, and when it doesn't on my first try, the second always passes).
There can be several explanations : could be a noisy environment, a defective kinect, or a specific accent/way of speaking that gives it more trouble. For the last issue, a long term solution would be to download and use the "kinect voice studio" app, that lets you repeat specific sentences, and send them to MS to improve their software. I doubt it will immediately improve the recognition on your console (although it's worth trying), but there are chances future updates will take your specifics into account.

Did you crank up your volume as high as possible when calibrating? 10% is VERY low. Also, are you in front of the sensor when giving commands or to the side somewhere?

zeorhymer

I do admit that the list is quite impressive, but in the back of my mind, it gives me an impression that X1 was released way before it was fleshed out. Many of the things mentioned should have been on day 1. Even the first item says, "1. See and manage your storage space."

It seems that they sold the consumer a half baked product and to put a PR spin on it, they say "Hey look at the new features that we've been adding!" It's bad enough that software comes out of the gate incomplete and gets patched on later. Now everything seems to be just cobbled together enough that the consumer will take a bite and be amazed that there are "new features" added.

alterno69

Banned
How is that it going both ways? It would be better to just not have it at all like PS4 ?

You do know I wrote ' a lot of unnecessary' (things you'd expect day one, from both for that matter than neither delivered and my PS4 still hasn't and my Xbox now has)

I meant more in the way that both consoles lack stuff and both have features i'd wish the other had. Both have done a good job.

About voice commands, i'm standing right in front, sometimes i move right next to the TV, like a couple of feet away from the sensor and nothing.
It's really frustrating.

Makes watching TV through it kinda lame cause i have to use my satellite box remote for everything anyway.

DWinn7

I do admit that the list is quite impressive, but in the back of my mind, it gives me an impression that X1 was released way before it was fleshed out. Many of the things mentioned should have been on day 1. Even the first item says, "1. See and manage your storage space."

It seems that they sold the consumer a half baked product and to put a PR spin on it, they say "Hey look at the new features that we've been adding!" It's bad enough that software comes out of the gate incomplete and gets patched on later. Now everything seems to be just cobbled together enough that the consumer will take a bite and be amazed that there are "new features" added.

Honestly, both systems could've launched this year and been more "fleshed out." I assume they had to prioritize to get it out of the door, but launching with no ability to see storage space or pause downloads(Sony) seems ridiculous to me. lol

I kinda wish I could go back and play around with 2013 Launch OS to really appreciate the differences. There have been so many updates and changes its kind of hard to remember them all taking place.

I think they've done a great job adding and fixing things in a one-year span. I remember how long it'd take to get the 360 updates, so having a regular monthly update cycle is fantastic.

I'd still like to see them make the TV integration stuff a little easier to use, but maybe I just need to get the media remote. Using the Xbox controller is a little wonky sometimes, and there are times I don't feel like talking to the TV.

Can't wait to see what they add in 2015

flkraven

Thank you so much for this! I didn't know how to shift focus between snapped apps and main, and was just using the double tap function. Love using Kinect whenever possible.

Alx

It's funny because it's a common strategy with MS products, and one that was presented to me by marketing experts as a reference of "how to do it right". The trick is to release your product on the market not when it's perfect, but when it's "good enough". That's what they did for Windows95, and the modern ability of updating your product with patches and updates makes it even more relevant.
See for example the lack of storage management at launch. The thing is, 99% of the users won't need to manage their storage at launch since their HDD won't be full for a long time. So it's tough luck for the remaining 1%, but rather than delaying the release of the OS/console or use additional development resources for a low priority feature, it is more efficient to solve that problem later. As long as the feature is available when most people need it, the product will be marketable, and in the end nobody will remember that it wasn't complete for a few months.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They've been doing a great job with the updates. The system is becoming extremely solid. I'm excited to see what they're going to bring in 2015!

Excellent thread.

This shouldn't really surprise me because of how amazing they did with the 360 but turning on the console now and remembering what it was like when I first got it is mind blowing to reflect on. Every change for the most part has been a great improvement as well.

Conversely I boot up my PS4 and I don't really feel like anything has changed since the first day I turned it on.

Bgamer90

Banned
This shouldn't really surprise me because of how amazing they did with the 360 but turning on the console now and remembering what it was like when I first got it is mind blowing to reflect on.

Agreed. Can only imagine how the console will be 3 years from now.

All I need is custom music support without losing a quarter of my screen to snap.

That and screenshots and I'm good. Everything else will be a bonus after that.

Prine

Banned
The best thing is that MS are just getting started, for people saying "should be there since day one" are missing the point. Every OS is limited day one and no OS has changed so quickly before, what is apparent is that MS can and will continue to bolt on features at rapid pace, this agility is what can't be criticised. If they achieved all this so far, just imagibe next year.

The TV stuff is by far the most impressive part of the OS for me, I don't game as much as I used to, but there isn't a better media hub out there. Kinect/Smartglass combo has completely changed my entertainment center.

Top Bottom