• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says Switch performance is not an issue, but they continue to work with developers to make things easier

Davevil

friends-ross.gif

Robb

Gold Member
PS4-level power isn't terrible IF there is a decent CPU that can handle high framerates
Yeah, I just hope comments like this one is because they are well aware the Switch is dragging its feet.. Rather than them feeling like it doesn’t matter how many generations they fall behind the competition.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, I just hope comments like this one is because they are well aware the Switch is dragging its feet.. Rather than them feeling like it doesn’t matter how many generations they fall behind the competition.
Don't get me wrong, most of us would LOVE a Switch console that can rival PS5/XSX in terms of power, BUT Nintendo games are developed with drastically inferior hardware and therefore they don't put development effort into giving their games souped visuals. The best part? Their games don't need them! Tears of the Kingdom as I am playing it right now on PC looks great. It looks GREAT. Not once has the lack of visual flair made the game less enjoyable.

Running on native hardware, I doubt it would take a truly powerful system to get 4K/60, which is why I think PS4 level power for Nintendo can work fine.

Sethbacca

Do people honestly not think TOTK would not have been better on newer hardware? I don't get why people feel the need to defend Nintendo for digging in their heels on getting new hardware out. Not that anyone should be surprised, this is the way Nintendo has always been.

Mozza

This is stating the obvious, we all know the only people really bothered are the core hobby gamers.

Robb

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, most of us would LOVE a Switch console that can rival PS5/XSX in terms of power, BUT Nintendo games are developed with drastically inferior hardware and therefore they don't put development effort into giving their games souped visuals. The best part? Their games don't need them! Tears of the Kingdom as I am playing it right now on PC looks great. It looks GREAT. Not once has the lack of visual flair made the game less enjoyable.

Running on native hardware, I doubt it would take a truly powerful system to get 4K/60, which is why I think PS4 level power for Nintendo can work fine.
I don’t disagree. I just hope Nintendo, at the very least, keep being 1/1,5 gens behind Sony/MS. A Ps4-level system with more modern parts that’ll make porting/downgrading easier for 3rd party devs is the way to go imo, and I’ll be more than happy with that. Preferably with some DLSS stuff included.

I just hope they don’t get comfortable and think they can just lowball the specs infinitely and end up lagging 3-4 generations behind the rest in the future.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
yeah with fancy 20 to 30fps gameplay with migraine inducing visuals on a tv

Fuck no.

I've got 120 hours on ToTK on a 65inch LG CX. Zero issues. It's pretty damn smooth, and the framerate drops are barely noticeable. There's pop in of course, and the graphical fidelity is necessarily lower than you'll get on Ps5, PC or Series X. But it's a masterpiece of both game design and development. The shortcomings are more than overridden by how excellent it is to play.

It'll be GOTY, and it will thoroughly deserve it.

Last edited:

damidu

Fuck no.

I've got 120 hours on ToTK on a 65inch LG CX. Zero issues. It's pretty damn smooth, and the frame drops and hitches are barely noticeable.
man wish i had your eyes.
game literally drops to 20fps whenever you raise your arm.
also to god know whatever resolution the moment you move the camera around. becoming pretty much a pixel soup.

Zannegan

He's not wrong in that some of the most amazing and inspiring creativity is found within restraints, necessity being the mother of invention. That said, I'd really like to see them a little less constrained in the very near future.

Even TOTK regularly drops to 20fps. That's an issue.
"Regularly" doesn't feel like the right word here given that Digital Foundry report. It predictably drops while using one tool in the game's arsenal, but outside of Ultrahand, it's pretty much locked. The game spends 99% of its time at 30.

I want to see Switch 2 ASAP, but credit where it's due.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He's not wrong in that some of the most amazing and inspiring creativity is found within restraints, necessity being the mother of invention. That said, I'd really like to see them a little less constrained in the very near future.

"Regularly" doesn't feel like the right word here given that Digital Foundry report. It predictably drops while using one tool in the game's arsenal, but outside of Ultrahand, it's pretty much locked. The game spends 99% of its time at 30.

I want to see Switch 2 ASAP, but credit where it's due.

They missed a whole bunch of situations where it drops, it's absolutely not just when using Ultrahand. It's also any time you're in Kakariko, whenever a companion passes in front of the camera and turns translucent (this happens a lot with several of them active), etc.

But sure, it's more 30 than 20 of course.

daveonezero

Banned
Nintendo always living in an alternative dimension.
15w portable is a different dimension than home consoles

Do people honestly not think TOTK would not have been better on newer hardware? I don't get why people feel the need to defend Nintendo for digging in their heels on getting new hardware out. Not that anyone should be surprised, this is the way Nintendo has always been.
Yes. The focus would have been on stupid meaningless visual art. Hours lost to superficial details that don’t matter.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Well, a developer problem can become a Nintendo problem. If third parties don't feel that their future games are scalable enough to reach a specific console's lower specs, then their only options will be to develop a version for just that one console or simply not release one at all. This kind of worked for the Wii because the hugely successful PS2 was still around and, somehow, still releasing games. So, a Wii specific version would also come out for the PS2 (like the super expensive Shattered Dimensions for example). With Switch, though, there's really only the Switch in that category. This is probably why things like Tomb Raider and Assassins' Creed have basically abandoned the system. Only their older games are being ported.

Granted, none of this is really a problem for the Switch as it is already hugely popular, but if the Switch 2 (that should 100% be the name) doesn't match parity with at least the Series S, it could have a quite the uphill battle on its hands.
The thing is that switch users don't buy a switch for these games, but for games designed for switch. Which has a huge market, and you can make great games for it (Nintendo has proven it), without being top graphically they are attractive enough (like TOTK or Mario Odyssey) so in that aspect Nintendo is right. Even with work you can adapt games in a worthy way (from PS4/XBO).

The problem is that many of the new games of the new consoles can only boast a nice graphics, with mechanics that have not evolved since PS3 or even PS2, and on top of that they don't even come out without technical problems, despite running on a considerably powerful hardware.

That's why I think there is a problem with the way studios work nowadays, I don't know if it's a lack of ambition, a reduction of talent due to the use of tools that give you everything done (as in the case of Unreal Engine) or terrible demands from publishers, with impossible timelines.

Said SEGA on the Saturn, Nintendo on the WiiU, Apple on the Pippin, Atari on the Jaguar, Microsoft on Windows Phone, etc… ;).
What about ps2? One of the most difficult consoles to develop and the least powerful of the generation by far, but they squeezed it like a lemon and did incredible things with it.

Last edited:
Much as I loved most of (but certainly not all... *cough*Pokemon*cough*Animal Crossing*cough, eurgh!) Nintendo's first-party output, they have hardware that is so underpowered that they still cannot include 30+ year old basics such as 'anti-aliasing' and 'anisotropic texture filtering', both of which would at least go someway to making their 1080p outputted (but certainly not native rendered) games look presentable and tolerable on my 55" 4K OLED TV. Switch games look so bad upscaled to 1080p internally and then to 4K on my TV that I no longer play games that way even though that is my preferred way to actually play games rather than on a handheld with a mere 2-3 hours of battery life.

I don't expect them to make a PS5 or Xbox Series X but something like the Xbox Series S for docked mode would be nice.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Much as I loved most of (but certainly not all... *cough*Pokemon*cough*) Nintendo's first-party output, they have hardware that is so underpowered that they still cannot include 30+ year old basics such as 'anti-aliasing' and 'anisotropic texture filtering', both of which would at least go someway to making their 1080p outputted (but certainly not native rendered) games look presentable and tolerable on my 55" 4K OLED TV. Switch games look so bad upscaled to 1080p internally and then to 4K on my TV that I no longer play games that way even though that is my preferred way to actually play games rather than on a handheld with a mere 2-3 hours of battery life.

I don't expect them to make a PS5 or Xbox Series X but something like the Xbox Series S for docked mode would be nice.
These "old basic things" are not present in most ps4/xbo games, they use FXAA as antialiasing (like many switch games), and texture filtering many don't even reach 4x.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Of course it would run better on newer hardware, and I'd absolutely like to play it on a shiny new hybrid, but A. it already runs pretty dang well (all things considered), and B. that doesn't mean Nintendo is dragging its heels over the successor. The Switch has had a pretty standard lifespan, shorter than either the PS4 or Xbox One. As much as I want new hardware, I wouldn't want it too often, especially with games taking longer and longer to develop.

I'd rather them launch when they can provide a meaningful upgrade at a reasonable price than push out something new ever 5 years like clockwork... even if I was rooting for the Pro rumors. Looking at all the supply chain struggles XS and PS5 have had, the last two years haven't been a great time to put out new hardware. Here's hoping 2024 is the year and that the leap was worth the wait.

It has nothing to do with "defending;" it's just having reasonable expectations (even while maintaining wild-ass hopes and dreams).

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
These "old basic things" are not present in most ps4/xbo games, they use FXAA as antialising (like many switch games), and texture filtering many don't even reach 4x.
the
The thing is that switch users don't buy a switch for these games, but for games designed for switch. Which has a huge market, and you can make great games for it (Nintendo has proven it), without being top graphically they are attractive enough (like TOTK or Mario Odyssey) so in that aspect Nintendo is right. Even with work you can adapt games in a PS4/XBO worthy way.

The problem is that many of the new games of the new consoles can only boast a nice graphics, with mechanics that have not evolved since PS3 or even PS2, and on top of that they don't even come out without technical problems, despite running on a considerably powerful hardware.

That's why I think there is a problem with the way studios work nowadays, I don't know if it's a lack of ambition, a reduction of talent due to the use of tools that give you everything done (as in the case of Unreal Engine) or terrible demands from publishers, with impossible timelines.
Pretty much. Nintendo has the old school talent that they have cultivated from within.

These other companies have stagnated and focused on easy to use tools.

There is a lack of creative genius and vision makers in most companies.

There are some breakouts but the standards have dropped.

daveonezero

Banned
These "old basic things" are not present in most ps4/xbo games, they use FXAA as antialiasing (like many switch games), and texture filtering many don't even reach 4x.
People have some weird retconned ideas of how that generation of games looked.

We had this with the Wii and now the Switch. The graphical power isn’t all there but the modern techniques are the things that allow developers to scale back resolution and make tweaks to make games work on lower spec consoles.

If the Switch was running a powerful outdated powerPC chip it wouldn’t get Doom or The Witcher. But since it uses a decent Nvidia SoC it’s more like a low spec PC.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
"I will not say it's lacking" only means he can keep making games for it, not that he doesn't want more. Hell, he even admitted devs want more. It's a classic executive non-answer. Expect many more while Nintendo keep riding the switch sunset years.

Sorcerer

That is developers problem, not switch or nintendo.
That may be true, but it is Nintendo as accessible and friendly as they claim? Do they hold back to a certain extent, so their games shine compared to 3rd party?
I mean Nintendo is claiming performance is not an issue. But that's coming from a 1st party who know their own hardware inside out.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It's absolutely not a problem as long it's a a game that's designed ground up with all of the switch's limitations in mind hand and with years worth of bugfixing and polishing.

Why don't all developers just do this?

/s

Gobjuduck

Banned
Nintendo makes a game for ~20 million and easily outsells games with ~200 million budgets. Not only sales, but critical reception and fan reception is usually high. Graphics are just a money pit, gaming as a premium is not sustainable without industry wide monetary compromises.

Devs need to produce better and cheaper games like Nintendo. The hardware really helps Nintendo put their games in scope.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The Switch's performance isn't an issue as long as devs make games that look like Switch games.

And that's bad because...?

I looked for the part in my post where I say "that's bad". I even read through all that text and used Ctrl+F to look for the word "bad" in my post.

I couldn't find it, so then I looked for words that could be synonyms to "bad" like "terrible", "horrible", "shit", "undesirable" and unappreciated.
I found nothing.

So I have no idea what you're talking about.

I always thought it was just Nintendo fans that had Switch brain thinking low res/fps is fine, but apparently it's also Nintendo themselves.

Ridaxan

This is super disappointing to hear. I really hope their next generation console will be backwards compatible at least. I can wait. I really struggle to sit through more than 30 mins of gameplay on the switch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo can't push it much further as the big GaaS games are even struggling to run on it. Rocket League and Fortnite are rough on the system.
Rocket League is, however I genuinely think that is a case of bad optimisation. I played the game @120 fps on Series S and it looked identical to the Switch resolution and settings wise.

Kenpachii

Lol did nintendo even play totk, shit drops to single digits multiple times with the absolute obnoxious pixelated mess u can ever encounter.

Yea performance is a issue.

Mr Branding

They are right tho, games are about gameplay systems and having fun. Graphic whores are taking the fun out of games. Couldn’t care less about your 4k, RT 120fps games. TotK never crashed once in 100hrs and plays great. It also looks pretty great to me so it must be tough to have such ‘high’ standards nowadays.

Top Bottom