• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Live 2023 Showcase and Fanfest Coming to Seattle in September

McRazzle

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser had the following to say about the event…
“Fans of all ages can currently experience the unique games, characters and worlds of Nintendo on Nintendo Switch, but we want to expand that scope with a new experience. With Nintendo Live 2023, we’re giving attendees a chance to celebrate together with family, friends and the broader Nintendo community in the spirit of fun and creating long-lasting memories.”

IIRC Nintendo announced the Switch in September,2016 in a Direct-commercial.
So, possibly a Direct-commercial in early September and a hands-on event with new hardware a week or two later?

Jinzo Prime

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser had the following to say about the event…
“Fans of all ages can currently experience the unique games, characters and worlds of Nintendo on Nintendo Switch, but we want to expand that scope with a new experience. With Nintendo Live 2023, we’re giving attendees a chance to celebrate together with family, friends and the broader Nintendo community in the spirit of fun and creating long-lasting memories.”

So, possibly a Direct-commercial in early September and a hands-on event with new hardware a week or two later?

There was one last year. No big announcements.

UnNamed

Banned
michael-scott-the-office.gif

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Woopah

This won't be related to new hardware. Its just a fun event for fans not for announcements.

As others have mentioned, Nintendo has done this in Japan now for years. It is a fan event, it is not an exhibitor/ trade show with lots of major announcements, like an E3, or even GameCom. Nintendo's vehicle for software announcements is Directs. They've said it over and over again, and continue to show that over and over.

A better comparison to this vs the expectations of something like an E3 replacement, or the return of Space World,(this is not like either of those), would be like the Summer Mall Tours they used to do in the US prior to COVID. Similar to that, except in one location. More like a Nintendo version of Xbox Fan Fest. Like a fun thing to go to if you love Nintendo, but not something you tune into because they're announcing something.

Last edited:
As of now there is no announced games after Pikmin 4 which leads me to believe they have a bunch of games they will announce before september (probably in june)

I expect there will be a playable wind waker and twilight princess since they will be announced by then.

bz5hO4G.jpg

As of now there is no announced games after Pikmin 4 which leads me to believe they have a bunch of games they will announce before september (probably in june)

I expect there will be a playable wind waker and twilight princess since they will be announced by then.

bz5hO4G.jpg
I don’t see Nintendo doing more than one Zelda title in the same year. 2024 seems more likely for this. They don’t want people to have to pick between old Zeldas and new Zeldas this year. 2023 will be all about getting as many people as possible to spend $70 on TotK.

I think release slate is clear after July because they don’t have a lot for the back half, and they also don’t want to put any focus on things post-TotK for the time being. After all, it’s their biggest launch since probably Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Sometimes I wish I worked for Nintendo so they can advance to 2023 graphics. Their logos and whole look is stuck in the 90s.

Woopah

bz5hO4G.jpg
I'm definitely thinking they will have a General Direct in June.
I don’t see Nintendo doing more than one Zelda title in the same year. 2024 seems more likely for this. They don’t want people to have to pick between old Zeldas and new Zeldas this year. 2023 will be all about getting as many people as possible to spend $70 on TotK.

I think release slate is clear after July because they don’t have a lot for the back half, and they also don’t want to put any focus on things post-TotK for the time being. After all, it’s their biggest launch since probably Smash Ultimate.
I think they'll have a few things for the back half.

They are publishing 7 games in the first 7 months of the year. That means they must have at least 4 more for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

They will ride the high wave of Zelda interest by releasing it, say, september. Thats 4 months after Tears. “You’ve experienced the magic of Tears Of The Kingdom, now go back to one of the most beloved Zelda stories, Wind Waker”. At that point not only will it not gobble up Tears sales, it’ll ride the publicity of it.

I'm definitely thinking they will have a General Direct in June.

I think they'll have a few things for the back half.

They are publishing 7 games in the first 7 months of the year. That means they must have at least 4 more for the rest of the year.
Nothing is a certainty with them. Of course they’ll have games. But might be a light holiday that they are punting on as they prep launch lineup for new hardware

Woopah

Nothing is a certainty with them. Of course they’ll have games. But might be a light holiday that they are punting on as they prep launch lineup for new hardware
Its defintiely a possibillity, guess it depends on how you define a "light" holiday.

Last edited:
It’s defintiely a possibillity, guess it depends on how you define a "light" holiday.
2015. 2016. Basically it’s clear from the slate that they are holding games for new hardware. It’s the same right before any new console. I doubt this transition will be much different. They might be able to hide it better 🤷‍♂️ since no handheld/ console lines to both have to deal with any more.

Woopah

2015. 2016. Basically it’s clear from the slate that they are holding games for new hardware. It’s the same right before any new console. I doubt this transition will be much different. They might be able to hide it better 🤷‍♂️ since no handheld/ console lines to both have to deal with any more.
It'll be much much better than 2016, bit it could be like H2 2015 where they had:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Mario Maker
  • Yoshi's Wooly World
  • Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
  • Devil's Third
  • Plus several 3DS games

NoA is hyping this thing up pretty heavily. It’s all over the News channel on Switch.

With the rumor today from Jeff Grubb of a possible July Direct, I wonder if that times well and then they roll right into Gamescom/ Nintendo Live a month later in late Aug/early Sep and demo the games from the July Direct, and that fills in the lineup for the rest of the year. With whatever it is they have left, whether it’s that rumor of the 4 Mario games including TTYD remake, Olympics, etc.

Woopah

NoA is hyping this thing up pretty heavily. It’s all over the News channel on Switch.

With the rumor today from Jeff Grubb of a possible July Direct, I wonder if that times well and then they roll right into Gamescom/ Nintendo Live a month later in late Aug/early Sep and demo the games from the July Direct, and that fills in the lineup for the rest of the year. With whatever it is they have left, whether it’s that rumor of the 4 Mario games including TTYD remake, Olympics, etc.
Ths exactly what I expect, a Direct in July to announce games in August to December. Then demos at those two events.

Top Bottom