• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has shed its ‘childish’ reputation, says Miyamoto

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not at all. They censored FE: Tokyo Sessions Remix for the Switch.
If they had no kiddie image they would just remove that.
But they didn’t censored Xenoblade 2 and that game had more revealing cloths than TMS#FE. Also in TMS#FE there is still have cloths in the game more revealing than the one they censored, this why I consider that game’s censorship very bizarre and I don’t think we ever gonna censored like TMS#FE in other Switch game.

Last edited:
Not even close Miyamoto, unless you are talking inside Japan.

You can show young adults playing the Switch at places like birthdays, basketball courts or anything you want. That is not reality though.

Japanese games dialogue gets altered for west since forever, they did same thing for original Drakengard when it got released in west.
You're right, but that's still censorship that shouldn't be happening. If Nintendo really wants to shed their childish image, they should bring over faithful versions of those types of games.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
super-nintendo-world-shigeru-miyamoto.jpg

Danjin44

You're right, but that's still censorship that shouldn't be happening. If Nintendo really wants to shed their childish image, they should bring over faithful versions of those types of games.
Nintendo will always have that Family friendly image, games like Luigi’s Mansion 3 can be enjoyed both by adults and young kids and I don’t see anything wrong with that and they Still have their “M” rated games like Bayonetta and Shin Megami Tensei.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I agree. It’s clear from many replies here that Nintendo murdered a lot of people’s pets and family, LOL.

More seriously: Nintendo products are for everyone. Always have been.

Their image and advertising, of course, may tell a different story. But “kiddy” Nintendo is an enduring product of the late 90s, when violent/edgy stuff was all the rage and Nintendo found a gold mine in Pokémon. That set the tone of the discussion for 20 years, and the narrative is still ongoing.

If you seriously think Nintendo products are kiddy because of neon-colored joycons you’re no more mature than the kids I overheard in a GameStop in 2017 saying that the Switch is “faggot stuff”.

PocoJoe

Banned
It happened with the Wii/DS. They took a step back with Wii U and 3DS

I see mostly 20/30 years using Switches on the subway.

A lot of Nintendo's issues here are simple branding and packaging.
You see people playing switch/handhelds? Seriously?

I have so far seen 1 kid playing switch out in the public.

Anyway, as long as they sell old slow tech with toy like quality and copy pasted bullshit marios that only kids and simple minded care = they are kids company, nothing else

mortal

Gold Member
I just wish they'd make more genuine effort to cater to a more hard core audience as well. Nintendo games consistently look amazing running on higher spec hardware.
Just wish emulation wasn't the only means to that experience.

They've always been sort of an "E for everyone" game company, which is great tbh; although that stance always came with certain sacrifices or technical limitations.
A pro sku for Nintendo consoles would be a great option imo.

Last edited:

Yams

I think a few of you are missing the point a bit. He saying that Nintendo has tied to shed the idea that Nintendo consoles are only for kids and that video games as a medium are childish. A lot of the marketing around the Wii depicted families playing games together. Basically, fun for the whole family and not just little Billy. I don't think he's saying that Nintendo has shifted its focus to making mature, adults-only games. I doubt Nintendo will ever do that.

Vawn

Banned
LMAO... NO, they have eased access for third parties and Indies to dump their trash.

They have allowed Indie to dump their trash on the console .. I go to eShop and I forget what the fuck I went in for... so much clustered garbage.

At retail they are still kiddy-friendly brand. ..

I don't agree they're all kid-friendly, but I do agree they allow way too much garbage on the eShop. More than two-thirds of the crap there shouldn't be allowed to even be sold - the games are that bad.

Sony and MS are just as bad, but those stores don't put the garbage games as much in your face. On the eShop, games are sorted by release date, putting shovelware on top of actual AAA releases.

Not really.

While there are many adults and teens playing Nintendo's games, median age of their fans/consumers of their products is much lower than competitions median age.

‘peace of mind,"
Yep when you dont care about putting on airs and trying to impress people you like what you like and dont care. We had the dude bro phase last gen where everything has to be brown and grey and now we have the walking sim deep dad story fad now. Only on nintendo can I play a game thats isnt trying to mimic the Hollywood machine with boring/generic osts equally as boring characters god speed nintendo.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
When i was a kid my uncle Mario raped me and gifted me a Nintendo console. Years passed and i still play that console, good memories.

I agree. It’s clear from many replies here that Nintendo murdered a lot of people’s pets and family, LOL.

More seriously: Nintendo products are for everyone. Always have been.

Their image and advertising, of course, may tell a different story. But “kiddy” Nintendo is an enduring product of the late 90s, when violent/edgy stuff was all the rage and Nintendo found a gold mine in Pokémon. That set the tone of the discussion for 20 years, and the narrative is still ongoing.

If you seriously think Nintendo products are kiddy because of neon-colored joycons you’re no more mature than the kids I overheard in a GameStop in 2017 saying that the Switch is “faggot stuff”.
Now watch me play cod with all the 13 years old from the block down the street like a real man :messenger_beaming:.

RealGassy

Banned
But they didn’t censored Xenoblade 2 and that game had more revealing cloths than TMS#FE. Also in TMS#FE there is still have cloths in the game more revealing than the one they censored, this why consider that game’s censorship very bizarre and I don’t think we ever gonna censored like TMS#FE in other Switch game.
Lets be honest here, they didn't censor xenoblade 2 for either one of the reasons:
1) Devs at Monolith were staunchly against it, maybe even someone high up the foodchain at Monolith was against it too
2) It was early in Switch lifecycle and Nintendo wasn't sure if Switch was even going to make it. They were so scared, that all the family friendly shit went straight out of the window. They had to have the weaboos on their side.

Now that Switch is doing well, they don't need to please weaboos no more. Not the western ones anyway.

Last edited:
I disagree, and I will go as far as saying that the fact that they didnt is one of the reason they have been able to keep themselves on the hardware market.

C'mon dude, you know better than that.

I think people should know better as well. while i understand adults can enjoy splatoon, it's certainly not gonna grab the attention of your average adult gamer. COD is one of the most popular games with adult gamers. so people making the comparison is laughable to me.

marianus

This pic has a lot of truth in it. When you are 16 you’ll think COD is adult and Splatoon is childish. When you are 35 COD is embarrassing cringe for juveniles and Splatoon feels like a game for any age.
Splatoon is a game for toddlers. If you play that as an adult you look like a pedo. I'd rather look like Monster Energy drinker named Kyle.

Nintendo will always have that Family friendly image, games like Luigi’s Mansion 3 can be enjoyed both by adults and young kids and I don’t see anything wrong with that and they Still have their “M” rated games like Bayonetta and Shin Megami Tensei.
I don't have a problem with any of that. My point is that they should take the few games that touch upon adult themes (even if it's just a little bit) and leave them alone. I can't blame people for thinking Nintendo is kiddy when they can't help themselves and alter the few games meant for a slight older demographic.

Which one? If we're talking about about dialogues Tora's peak weeb preaching is still the top.
Early on, there's a joke about Pyra selling her body to earn money for some kind of part to fix a ship or to get Poppi to work or whatever. They changed the joke to remove any references to prostitution. There's more small changes like that throughout the game.

Danjin44

I don't have a problem with any of that. My point is that they should take the few games that touch upon adult themes (even if it's just a little bit) and leave them alone. I can't blame people for thinking Nintendo is kiddy when they can't help themselves and alter the few games meant for a slight older demographic.
We have games like Fire Emblem Three Houses, especially with happened Edelgard past and what happened with Rhea's family. We also have third parties games Shin Megami Tensei are much darker than Persona series.

marianus

We have games like Fire Emblem Three Houses, especially with happened Edelgard past and what happened with Rhea's family. We also have third parties games Shin Megami Tensei are much darker than Persona series.
They still censor and change games. You point is moot.

Aranea

When it comes to third parties Nintendo surely is more mature compared to the other consoles as they don't request their games to be censored. If they stop censoring their first party games and create a rated M tittle them yeah there should be no question. I suppose the closes is Bayonetta 2 but that game is just funded and not first party game.

They altered dialogue in Three Houses too. What exactly is your point? I know censorship gets a lot of attention on this forum, and sometimes it's a bit overblown, but these are still the facts. Nintendo alters their games or allows them to be altered. It sometimes feels like they don't take their adult audience seriously, and that doesn't have anything to do with Mario or Kirby.

Top Bottom