• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has shed its ‘childish’ reputation, says Miyamoto

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They altered dialogue in Three Houses too. What exactly is your point? I know censorship gets a lot of attention on this forum, and sometimes it's a bit overblown, but these are still the facts. Nintendo alters their games or allows them to be altered. It sometimes feels like they don't take their adult audience seriously, and that doesn't have anything to do with Mario or Kirby.
So does Sony, even with the games that are rated “M”, so I would say Sony are ones who don’t take adult audience seriously.

cabbage5k2

You see people playing switch/handhelds? Seriously?

I have so far seen 1 kid playing switch out in the public.

Anyway, as long as they sell old slow tech with toy like quality and copy pasted bullshit marios that only kids and simple minded care = they are kids company, nothing else

I've seen people playing on the Switch at work during their breaks (Walmart for context) as well as a few kids playing with it at a couple of local restaurants, which is already more often than I've ever seen the 3DS... anywhere really.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Soccer, Tennis etc....
Mario Party
Luigi
DK
Splatoon
Zelda
Smash
Pokemon
Ring Fit
Nintendo Switch Labo, sets 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5
Gimped online

No doubt hard hitting realistic games.

Metroid is probably the only one that can be labeled as non-kiddie or cheesey.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but the next time friends or family come over to your house, set your TV on Power Rangers or Dora the Explorer and see what kinds of reactions you get.

But nobody can escape the cuteness or fun of certain Nintendo games, unless you're a cold monster. Nintendo's philosophy is very simple to understand: putting smiles on peoples faces. Not just kids, not just teens, and not 40 y/o; people.

Fbh

I agree, they have a more "casual" and "for everyone" image now than just strictly "for kids".

Though I think part of it has to do with gaming as a whole getting wider acceptance as a hobby "for everyone" in recent years. When I was a kid games as a whole had a more child focused image (at least in my country), now no one bats an eye if someone in their 20's or 30's has a console under their TV.

Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Soccer, Tennis etc....
Mario Party
Luigi
DK
Splatoon
Zelda
Smash
Pokemon
Ring Fit
Nintendo Switch Labo, sets 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5
Gimped online

No doubt hard hitting realistic games.

Metroid is probably the only one that can be labeled as non-kiddie or cheesey.

"For everyone" or family friendly isn't the same as childish.
It's like Marvel Movies or Star Wars.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just recently finished Resident Evil 4 on the Switch and I had a wonderful time. Granted that’s like my 5th or 6th copy of the game. It also cost me $30 when it came out. The issue here is that the Switch takes so long to get titles. It took years for The Witcher to come out, DOOM Eternal is out at a later date, and then look at how RE7 is only playable via streaming in Japan.

There’s a lot of shovel ware on their eShop. Their SNES classics VC and etc were better on the Wii and Wii U. I can see a lot of potential, but access is what I think they’re struggling with. Didn’t a lot of people have to mod their Wii U to play Fatal Frame? Of course games like DOOM 2016 (the DOOM series), Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil appear on their systems. I just think it all comes at a cost.

Sure, you’ve shed your childish image in a lot of ways. At what cost did that take and how accessible are the games? All the Resident Evil games are still $29.99. The buy in price on PC and home console has gone down dramatically. I have my PS3 digital copy of the Remake as well as Steam and PS4. Devil May Cry 3: SE is awesome on the Switch except it’s been on the market for ages now. Adding features is cool, but I also have so many different copies of DMC3:SE now. Do I do it to myself? It’s like that device that wipes someone’s memory from Men in Black. Just tell us what you’re doing and then release it with no real reason.

Bayonetta 3, Babylon’s Fall, and Metroid Prime 4 all sound amazing. I just feel like they could try to give players the ability to play games earlier and offer more variety.

Last edited:

LMJ

so I assume by this statement that Miyamoto is referring to the company as a whole, as in all the games together both third party and first party...because there I would absolutely agree

When it comes to 3rd party exclusives I could even give Nintendo that, but first party definitely Still Remains family-friendly and there's nothing wrong with that :) .

There is a reason that a theme park is being made for Nintendo, because just like Disney while they have more varied spin-offs their main line up is made for all ages...

That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate Nintendo making a more mature game, (Ghosts of tsushima IE because I watched the trailer again) but with Nintendo's stamp of quality would be pretty damn impressive, however if that day never comes I certainly won't shed any tears.

When I think of Nintendo I think of gaming incarnate, sit down and play no need for lengthy menus, overbearing narrative just good awesome gameplay!

I agree, they have a more "casual" and "for everyone" image now than just strictly "for kids".

Though I think part of it has to do with gaming as a whole getting wider acceptance as a hobby "for everyone" in recent years. When I was a kid games as a whole had a more child focused image (at least in my country), now no one bats an eye if someone in their 20's or 30's has a console under their TV.

"For everyone" or family friendly isn't the same as childish.
It's like Marvel Movies or Star Wars.

marvel and star wars are targeting teens. nintendo targets is everyone, which means kids. mario, donkey kong and zelda even though targeting kids are iconic symbols for gaming so i can't call them for kids since those games moved gaming forward, but stuff like animal crossing, labo, pokemon, kirby and splatoon are cringe kiddy for me anyway.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Japanese games dialogue gets altered for west since forever, they did same thing for original Drakengard when it got released in west.

Strawman, in Drakengard the sister kills herself because she wants to * her brother and he's like "uh, no".

Paracelsus

marvel and star wars are targeting manchildren with arrested emotional development. nintendo targets is everyone, which means kids. mario, donkey kong and zelda even though targeting kids are iconic symbols for gaming so i can call them for kids since those games moved gaming forward, but stuff like animal crossing, labo, pokemon, kirby and splatoon are cringe kiddy for me anyway.

Hard fix, they're targeting the same people who think just because a game is brown, dour and dull and features people dying and swearing like sailors then it's mature.

Last edited:

entremet

You see people playing switch/handhelds? Seriously?

I have so far seen 1 kid playing switch out in the public.

Anyway, as long as they sell old slow tech with toy like quality and copy pasted bullshit marios that only kids and simple minded care = they are kids company, nothing else
Yep. I travel for business frequently. I also take mass transit. I see Switches daily.

Also, Switch is not old tech. It's the best tech available for the time it was released for its power draw. You can get the Alienware UFO, but then you only have 20 minutes of playtime.

It's not going to compete with systems with nearly 4x the power draw, such as the PS4 and XB1. Obviously. But for a portable PS3, it's hella impressive. Alien Isolation and Hellbade: Senua's Sacrifice are recent and pretty impressive.

Last edited:
You guys keep saying this and act like only Nintendo censors Japanese games, so does Sony.
How am I acting like Nintendo's the only one censoring games? I just haven't mentioned Sony or any other company because it's irrelevant to the discussion.

We were talking about how Nintendo censors games and how they should stop that if they truly want to shed their childish image, like Miyamoto claims they want to. Then you deflect by pointing at Sony. That's a prime example of whataboutism. I'll agree with you that when Sony censors games, they're not taking their audience seriously either. That doesn't take away the fact that Nintendo consistenly pulls this shit too though.

Hard fix, they're targeting the same people who think just because a game is brown, dour and dull and features people dying and swearing like sailors then it's mature.
gaming in general is targeted at the same demographics as marvel and star war movies. nintendo target is more like dora the explora , legos and telatubbies.

Danjin44

We were talking about how Nintendo censors games and how they should stop that if they truly want to shed their childish image, like Miyamoto claims they want to. Then you deflect by pointing at Sony. That's a prime example of whataboutism. I'll agree with you that when Sony censors games, they're not taking their audience seriously either. That doesn't take away the fact that Nintendo consistenly pulls this shit too though.
That has nothing to do with “childish” and more to do with that most Japanese games with sexy designs or even dialogues gets treated when get released in west.

Unfortunately these days it considered “childish” to have sexy designs in games.

_Ex_

what is Nintendo most "mature" franchise, metriod?

What M rated game has Nintendo ever produced so far?

The only mature games I can recall Nintendo publishing were these:

105566_front.jpg

Cero D in Japan is basically M in the USA. Of course, Nintendo didn't publish this game in the west, because it went against the tone Nintendo set for the Wii in the west.

And...

9848_front.jpg

And...

592699_front.jpg

But, Nintendo did not develop any of these games. They just published them. I can't think of any M-rated game that Nintendo developed themselves.

clem84

Gold Member
I honestly don't know. People of all ages play Nintendo games. It is definitely not only a 'for kids' games company. That said, they still have plenty of games with family oriented themes.

I guess it's still true to some extent.

I honestly don't know. People of all ages play Nintendo games. It is definitely not only a 'for kids' games company. That said, they still have plenty of games with family oriented themes.

I guess it's still true to some extent.

I'm 35 and I play Nintendo games, but it's only because I grew up with nes, super nes and 64. Basically Mario, zelda and donkey kong. All the other games look they are made for toddlers for me anyway and are unappealing.

I dont think Nintendo are trying to shed anything, but rather realize that now is the best time to start opening up their boarders for more mature content since the kids they use to make games for are now parents.

If parents can only afford one console or dont play games themselves often enough to justify purchasing more than one console, the best choice would be to settle a Nintendo consoles. Games for the kids and mum and dad (a dad, also know as father, is the male adult of the family and biological parent of the children, as in, not the mothers boyfriend. Just for those for those of you who're visiting from resetera) can pick up some more mature games when they get a chance to actually sit down and play something

Its quite the interesting timeline when Nintendo is the only one allowing the uncensored versions of games on their platform.

Collin

Banned
Childish would be an unfair word I think, but obviously they have limited T and M rates games. They just make stuff that’s family friendly, but they don’t skimp on intelligent game design or forward thinking games. I don’t have stats on this so this is entirely anecdotal but I‘d bet more adults play Breath of the Wild than children. That game may be rated E but it’s fairly challenging and demands a lot from the player.

In other words, Miyamoto is like half-right.

To be fair, it is their only 1st party game announced with a release date.

If Metroid Prime 4 was closer to launch I'm sure you would have seen it too.

Hold my beer:

30k-gaming-pc-setup-000.jpg

Nintendo:

Hold my milk!

Labo_Home_Header_1.jpg

Clearly Nintendo shed its "childish" reputation, have you seen their VR kit? Clearly blows Vive out of the water, clearly!

93xfan

Banned
I don’t play Nintendo games to feel mature. They simply have some great games that just about anyone can enjoy.

And people who crap on others for playing Nintendo games are the most immature and insecure people.

Last edited:
Hold my beer:

30k-gaming-pc-setup-000.jpg
wow-south-park-zadrot.jpg

Hold my beer?

If there were a non verbal way to inform people that youre an overpaid incel, this is it.

At least the people in the image below are having a good ol healthy time with real world friends.

I don’t play Nintendo games to feel mature. They simply have some great games that just about anyone can enjoy.

And people who crap on others for playing Nintendo games are the most immature and insecure people.

The whole concept of gaming is childish anyway. I dont care if your game is rated r18, those titties arent real.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Isn't always the case? There is nothing wrong for not liking Nintendo games but insulting everybody else who do, that not exactly can be considered as being "mature". Then again in here being "mature" is less about how you act more about how many "M" rated games you play.

EDMIX

yea....thats no, like a massive no.

They've been making the same type of games for decades now. These folks are allergic to change. For fucks sakes, MICROSOFT has changed MORE since they came into gaming then Nintendo has. When you look at 360, you realize WHY they even called it that, they made such a massive turn around, they corrected soooooo many issues that they had when they first came into the market. Even this gen, as bad as it is for MS, no one can really say they don't have variety in their catalog. With the teams they bought, they are not looking to stay the same. heck, I dislike MS more then the next guy, but when they seek to change something, they go allllllll out in doing so. They wanted Japanese support, got Final Fantasy to be on XB too, got many JRPGs as timed games and made it clear they would fight for that support.

This gen, they got KH on XB and even Yakuza and bought many teams to have titles LIKE Uncharted type games that Phil even stated he envied.

Sorry folks, but I've NEVER seen Nintendo EVER committed to changing their imagine and catalog even near what we see MS do when they want to compete. Nintendo seems massively complacent in where they are and want to maintain that Fisher Price imagine.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom