• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has shed its ‘childish’ reputation, says Miyamoto

Mozza

Nintendo just want to appeal to a wider audience,who is to say that just because Sony and Microsoft have a lot of adult rated games on their systems that it's only adults playing them, and to be honest this whole childish thing is in itself an immature way of looking at things.

yea....thats no, like a massive no.

They've been making the same type of games for decades now. These folks are allergic to change. For fucks sakes, MICROSOFT has changed MORE since they came into gaming then Nintendo has. When you look at 360, you realize WHY they even called it that, they made such a massive turn around, they corrected soooooo many issues that they had when they first came into the market. Even this gen, as bad as it is for MS, no one can really say they don't have variety in their catalog. With the teams they bought, they are not looking to stay the same. heck, I dislike MS more then the next guy, but when they seek to change something, they go allllllll out in doing so. They wanted Japanese support, got Final Fantasy to be on XB too, got many JRPGs as timed games and made it clear they would fight for that support.

This gen, they got KH on XB and even Yakuza and bought many teams to have titles LIKE Uncharted type games that Phil even stated he envied.

Sorry folks, but I've NEVER seen Nintendo EVER committed to changing their imagine and catalog even near what we see MS do when they want to compete. Nintendo seems massively complacent in where they are and want to maintain that Fisher Price imagine.

tenor.gif

Never thought about it before, but I do see a resemblance!

1580103553_990984_1580103753_noticia_normal.jpg

1616951.jpg

:pie_thinking:

Their market perception has been steadily "family friendly" since the Nintendo Wii, i can't recall the last time Nintendo were seen as targeting children. Myamoto is right, 'peace of mind' is a good way to describe Nintendo's presence.

Terenty

“If you try making something that sells, it eventually ends up becoming like something that’s already out there. If what you make looks like something that might already be out there, then it won’t sell well. That’s why Nintendo makes things that have yet to be seen.”

Sony proves him wrong consistently

Meesh

I think their relationship with their core audience and gaming community is better... The Nintendo brand is in better shape than it's ever been, amazing eshop games, first party stuff is still top notch, hardware is selling.
I think while it's inaccurate to call them kiddie, I appreciate how family is at the center of the Switch.

Mozza

yea....thats no, like a massive no.

They've been making the same type of games for decades now. These folks are allergic to change. For fucks sakes, MICROSOFT has changed MORE since they came into gaming then Nintendo has. When you look at 360, you realize WHY they even called it that, they made such a massive turn around, they corrected soooooo many issues that they had when they first came into the market. Even this gen, as bad as it is for MS, no one can really say they don't have variety in their catalog. With the teams they bought, they are not looking to stay the same. heck, I dislike MS more then the next guy, but when they seek to change something, they go allllllll out in doing so. They wanted Japanese support, got Final Fantasy to be on XB too, got many JRPGs as timed games and made it clear they would fight for that support.

This gen, they got KH on XB and even Yakuza and bought many teams to have titles LIKE Uncharted type games that Phil even stated he envied.

Sorry folks, but I've NEVER seen Nintendo EVER committed to changing their imagine and catalog even near what we see MS do when they want to compete. Nintendo seems massively complacent in where they are and want to maintain that Fisher Price imagine.

tenor.gif

Yes it's worked so well for Microsoft this generation ;) , perhaps they should be copying Nintendo more.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I get what you're saying, but the next time friends or family come over to your house, set your TV on Power Rangers or Dora the Explorer and see what kinds of reactions you get.

I watch Power Rangers (including the original Super Sentai), Disney Films, and anime that are typically associated with "children" and everyone I invite over (friends and family) all enjoy them. Sounds more like you need to get over your personal childish hang ups, mate.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I watch Power Rangers (including the original Super Sentai), Disney Films, and anime that are typically associated with "children" and everyone I invite over (friends and family) all enjoy them. Sounds more like you need to get over your personal childish hang ups, mate.

Tbh I watch them as well, my both brothers too and basically my entire family. Doesn't make them less childish though.

Saber

Gold Member
Doesn't make them childish. What is childish is trying to call others so for watching them.

Doesn't mean I call them childish. You know whats more childish than that? Proving people that anyone watches kids movies these days . Silly take if you ask me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My question why some of you guys trying too hard to seem "mature"? Do you guys play games to show off other how "mature" your hobby is? I thought entire point of playing video games is to enjoy yourself.

I mean my issue with entire western gaming culture is they are trying too hard look as "mature" industry so no "sexy designs" because thats too "immature" or make the gameplay as realistic like simulation because that seems what "mature" person should play, there is no over the top fun is allowed.

Saber

Gold Member
My question why some of you guys trying too hard to seem "mature"? Do you guys play games to show off other how "mature" your hobby is? I thought entire point of playing video games is to enjoy yourself.

Thats exactly what I think, good take. I dunno why people need to get feelings hurt or feel like have to justify their playings. We are all grow ass adults(at least I expect people to be), we dont need to give any reason for why playing the games we like.

But the thing is that the thread is about what Miyamoto said and that I sincerelly can't agree.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yes it's worked so well for Microsoft this generation ;) , perhaps they should be copying Nintendo more.

? My argument is not if it worked for MS this gen btw, its that they are seeking to change clearly for next gen. So XONE failing as a system has nothing to do with their efforts to buy more teams and make XB a system that has more diversity in terms of IP. Them getting KH, Yakuza and buying up those teams is a good thing, thats the point. They'll do much better next gen, but I don't think anyone should be trying to take shots at their efforts now, based on XONE failing now.

I don't believe it failed cause it got new teams and KH and Yakuza etc. It failed, but not based on those reasons. MS can't copy what Nintendo has and imho shouldn't even try as that is what keeps Nintendo in a position of doing less in terms of trying to get new gamers. So MS can't make a "Mario" any more then Nintendo can make a Uncharted...

I mean my issue with entire western gaming culture is they are trying too hard look as "mature" industry so no "sexy designs" because thats too "immature" or make the gameplay as realistic like simulation because that seems what "mature" person should play, there is no over the top fun is allowed.

Can't speak for anybody else, but for me it's what looks appealing to me. I like grounded realistic atheistic way more then something that looks it's for kids. also a bad ass looking character is important to me although zelda, mario, donkey kong and even sonic get a pass, because of how symbolic they are to gaming. I do hate the design for link in breath of the wild, and the reason for it is stupid, just make a female link and a male link no need to make a male that looks like a transgender which was the intention.

TheMan

I would disagree. They make family-friendly, bright and colorful games that generally feature anthropomorphic creatures or adults with child-like proportions and cartoon violence. Those aesthetics alone definitely seem to be targeting kids.

Note, I'm definitely not saying they make bad games because first party Nintendo stuff is usually pretty fun. But there's a reason I bought a switch for my kids.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Can't speak for anybody else, but for me it's what looks appealing to me. I like grounded realistic atheistic way more then something that looks it's for kids. also a bad ass looking character is important to me although zelda, mario, donkey kong and even sonic get a pass, because of how symbolic they are to gaming. I do hate the design for link in breath of the wild, and the reason for it is stupid, just make a female link and a male link no need to make a male that looks like a transgender which was the intention.
Like what you want to like so why do you needs to insult on what others enjoy? If you like more realistic visuals then that’s your taste, it doesn’t make other people who enjoy stylize visuals “childish”.

Like what you want to like so why do you needs to insult on what others enjoy? If you like more realistic visuals then that’s your taste, it doesn’t make other people who enjoy stylize visuals “childish”.

Saying the truth is not a insult. nintendo Marketing to 5-12 year olds, i never said it was childish.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
He right. Nintendo nowadays is all about them millennials who grew with them, and now have families and jobs and whatnot. But it's still nice that thanks to mainly Pokémon they are still able to get the kid audience so that keeps bringing over more generations of fans.

Last edited:

EDMIX

To be fair, what is being stated is simply what they believe Nintendo is doing ie "looks it's for kids". I agree with what they are saying, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its an "insult" you simply think its one cause they are saying "kids". They are not saying anyone is childish, they are saying the company very much makes games that look like they are for kids. I just don't think that is something anyone can really, really disagree with.

Can an adult play it? Well sure, it doesn't change that the way their titles look like are clearly aimed at kids. So you might see it as an insult, but it really doesn't change that is Nintendos target market tbh. In their defense, they never said anyone was childish who likes em who is an adult or anything.

Mozza

? My argument is not if it worked for MS this gen btw, its that they are seeking to change clearly for next gen. So XONE failing as a system has nothing to do with their efforts to buy more teams and make XB a system that has more diversity in terms of IP. Them getting KH, Yakuza and buying up those teams is a good thing, thats the point. They'll do much better next gen, but I don't think anyone should be trying to take shots at their efforts now, based on XONE failing now.

I don't believe it failed cause it got new teams and KH and Yakuza etc. It failed, but not based on those reasons. MS can't copy what Nintendo has and imho shouldn't even try as that is what keeps Nintendo in a position of doing less in terms of trying to get new gamers. So MS can't make a "Mario" any more then Nintendo can make a Uncharted...

I doubt Microsoft could do much worse that they did this generation, it all just seemed so dull, which is surprising when you consider all the diversity they brought to the table, and all the developers they bought too, to say Nintendo do nothing is very short sighted imho, it may look like it if you personally do not like their output, but fro a fan they ave done what they do best, which is offer an alternative to the console P.C games that are games somewhere hidden within a movie.

Entroyp

Whatever. Nintendo sure knows how to makes great games, even if they are considered childish they’re still great.

Just keep’em coming. By the way, any recommendations on how to play Mario Galaxy 2? I haven’t played this one yet and I surely want to fix that.

Mozza

I never said it was childish to like games or art style targeted at kids, but the truth is the games are targeting kids audience, same with cartoons, and disney. other wise you tell me what qualify as shows or games targeting kids?

Yes the fact the whole video gaming arena is pretty childlike across the whole spectrum is lost on many on here, personally If I like a game or movie that is aimed at a younger audience, so what.

Danjin44

To be fair, what is being stated is simply what they believe Nintendo is doing ie "looks it's for kids". I agree with what they are saying, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its an "insult" you simply think its one cause they are saying "kids". They are not saying anyone is childish, they are saying the company very much makes games that look like they are for kids. I just don't think that is something anyone can really, really disagree with.

Can an adult play it? Well sure, it doesn't change that the way their titles look like are clearly aimed at kids. So you might see it as an insult, but it really doesn't change that is Nintendos target market tbh. In their defense, they never said anyone was childish who likes em who is an adult or anything.
I would say Nintendo makes family friendly games can be enjoyed by everyone, so if someone enjoys that type of games does it make they are less "mature" than people who mostly play "M" ratted games?......not really. I would even say games like Fortnight and COD and even GTA are much more popular with kids than game like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

Yes the fact the whole video gaming arena is pretty childlike across the whole spectrum is lost on many on here, personally If I like a game or movie that is aimed at a younger audience, so what.
I agree with you videogames in general is viewed as childish by many people, but were talking about what gamers think, and many share the opinion that nintendo mainly targeting kids. main point was gamers looking for mature or even teen rated games won't find them with nintendo which is fine, which is why some gamers think they are childish. as gamer i personally think animal crossing and splatoon look like something for toddlers but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

EDMIX

to say Nintendo do nothing

Context is key. Don't misquote to argue.

" I've NEVER seen Nintendo EVER committed to changing their imagine and catalog even near what we see MS do when they want to compete "

Again...I've never seen Nintendo actually do something near what MS does to change to get new gamers. Nothing is wrong if you like them, but if they are staying the same to " offer an alternative " just leave it at that. It means clearly they are not seeking new consumers and they are not changing to get them near what MS is doing. You can agree they are not changing or seeking to change as much as MS and still also feel its best that they don't.

Stop making everything a fucking either or. If you like that they are they way they are and very little has changed, thats ok. No where am I saying Nintendo hasn't changed ANYTHING, simply no where near what you see MS doing to get new consumers.

" it may look like it if you personally do not like their output " Well I don't like their output because the majority of what they release looks the same and markets to the same audience. So if I didn't like Splattoon, I won't suddenly like ARMS or 1-2 Switch or anything like that anymore then someone who doesn't like Halo won't suddenly like Gears, no different then someone who doesn't like Destiny, like won't like that Outriders game... The family friendly, art direction, kiddy narrative might be as much as a put off to some, as Destiny or The Division is to others.

Could you imagine someone telling you how you didn't like Destiny or The Division but would LOOOOOVE Outriders? How many times do you have to say no to a concept, idea, imagine before its clear maybe they don't like it? So nothing is wrong with that btw, simply you must consider that is how many gamers feel.

Danjin44 Danjin44 yea but those games are also not marketed to those demographics either.

You can clearly like a game not marketed to your demographic. Thats like saying you eat Trix cereal soooooo clearly its not fo da kidz as I'm eating dem too doe. /s (semi OT, but them thangs was HITTING when I was a kid)

phrase-silly-rabbit-trix-kids-mean_abda3831346c5d28.jpg

Last edited:
I would say Nintendo makes family friendly games can be enjoyed by everyone, so if someone enjoys that type of games does it make they are less "mature" than people who mostly play "M" ratted games?......not really. I would even say games like Fortnight and COD and even GTA are much more popular with kids than game like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.
you could say family friendly for just about every single thing targeting kids. this as someone who would still enjoy cartoon or anime every few years, and still play some nintendo games till this day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom