• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has shed its ‘childish’ reputation, says Miyamoto

EDMIX

you could say family friendly for just about every single thing targeting kids.

Agreed. Its a moot point.

Anything a kid can do, clearly an adult can choose to do as well.......even though its a bit strange. Be like "baby food isn't just only for babys, look I can eat it too doe" (eats whole can of baby food) "see....its Family Friendly doe bruh"

(semi OT, I ate one recently as I like to use the glass bottles to hold ink for artwork lol)

Family-friendly implies that the whole family can enjoy it. 90% of the cartoons my kids would be unpalatable to most adults. I don't want to watch Paw Patrol or PJ Masks with my kids but I'd be happy to play Zelda, Mario or Minecraft with them.

Many cartoons are watchable by adults. disney cartoons and movies, bugs bunny, looney tunes, lion king, spong bob, and dexter laboratory. you can say the only difference nintendo games are high quality games, it's like disney cartoons. when it's high quality a game or cartoon targeting kids will be much easier to enjoy.

Last edited:
tenor.gif
Not even worth debating with people if something has a cartoon look or color art style it must be childish.

Yams

Many cartoons are watchable by adults. disney cartoons and movies, bugs bunny, looney tunes, lion king, spong bob, and dexter laboratory. you can say the only difference nintendo games are high quality games, it's like disney cartoons.

Yes, you are absolutely right, and I'd consider those family-friendly. Regardless, the article in the OP isn't about Nintendo making mature, adults-only games. It's about them shedding the image that their games are only for kids when really they can be enjoyed by everyone in the same way a Disney cartoon can.

I never said it was childish to like games or art style targeted at kids, but the truth is the games are targeting kids audience, same with cartoons, and disney. other wise you tell me what qualify as shows or games targeting kids?
UH all of gaming go to a cod or any fps event and see a million and one kids dopped up on energy drinks yelling and cursing every 5 seconds. Kids make up 70% of the entire fortnight fanbase. Persona 5 had a more mature plot then 80% of all western games and those games try to be as niddy and griddy as possible and those games are targeted to unintentional to edgy lord kids. Why do you think every cod after 4 had shock value missions that are missing so much context they look like they were written by a middle age high school kid.

Whatever. Nintendo sure knows how to makes great games, even if they are considered childish they’re still great.

Just keep’em coming. By the way, any recommendations on how to play Mario Galaxy 2? I haven’t played this one yet and I surely want to fix that.
play it on a wiiu,jailbreak a wii or see if you can rip the game to an iso and run it through dolphin.

Yes, you are absolutely right, and I'd consider those family-friendly. Regardless, the article in the OP isn't about Nintendo making mature, adults-only games. It's about them shedding the image that their games are only for kids when really they can be enjoyed by everyone in the same way a Disney cartoon can.

Thats depending on the person though, many people don't enjoy cartoons at all, or aren't interested or hyped in watching a movie with cartoons in them. like that. for me personally i don't mind cartoons as long as it looks cool to me, it's really all a matter of opinion

Last edited:

Yams

Thats depending on the person though, many people don't enjoy cartoons at all, or aren't interested or hyped in watching a movie with cartoons in them. like that. for me personally i don't mind cartoons, it's really all a matter of opinion.

For sure, I agree. That's also the case with nearly every type of media, genre or whatever.

Mozza

Context is key. Don't misquote to argue.

" I've NEVER seen Nintendo EVER committed to changing their imagine and catalog even near what we see MS do when they want to compete "

Again...I've never seen Nintendo actually do something near what MS does to change to get new gamers. Nothing is wrong if you like them, but if they are staying the same to " offer an alternative " just leave it at that. It means clearly they are not seeking new consumers and they are not changing to get them near what MS is doing. You can agree they are not changing or seeking to change as much as MS and still also feel its best that they don't.

Stop making everything a fucking either or. If you like that they are they way they are and very little has changed, thats ok. No where am I saying Nintendo hasn't changed ANYTHING, simply no where near what you see MS doing to get new consumers.

" it may look like it if you personally do not like their output " Well I don't like their output because the majority of what they release looks the same and markets to the same audience. So if I didn't like Splattoon, I won't suddenly like ARMS or 1-2 Switch or anything like that anymore then someone who doesn't like Halo won't suddenly like Gears, no different then someone who doesn't like Destiny, like won't like that Outriders game... The family friendly, art direction, kiddy narrative might be as much as a put off to some, as Destiny or The Division is to others.

Could you imagine someone telling you how you didn't like Destiny or The Division but would LOOOOOVE Outriders? How many times do you have to say no to a concept, idea, imagine before its clear maybe they don't like it? So nothing is wrong with that btw, simply you must consider that is how many gamers feel.

Danjin44 Danjin44 yea but those games are also not marketed to those demographics either.

You can clearly like a game not marketed to your demographic. Thats like saying you eat Trix cereal soooooo clearly its not fo da kidz as I'm eating dem too doe. /s (semi OT, but them thangs was HITTING when I was a kid)

phrase-silly-rabbit-trix-kids-mean_abda3831346c5d28.jpg

Calm down fella, after all it's only childish video games, and resorting to swearing to get your points across, it's not big and it's not clever, seems to go against the whole mature thing. ;)

UH all of gaming go to a cod or any fps event and see a million and one kids dopped up on energy drinks yelling and cursing every 5 seconds. Kids make up 70% of the entire fortnight fanbase. Persona 5 had a more mature plot then 80% of all western games and those games try to be as niddy and griddy as possible and those games are targeted to unintentional to edgy lord kids. Why do you think every cod after 4 had shock value missions that are missing so much context they look like they were written by a middle age high school kid.

Not sure what your point is, still mature themes like a military shooter will always appeal to adults more then something like splatoon at least in the western side of the world

Not sure what your point is, still mature themes like a military shooter will always appeal to adults more then something like splatoon at least in the western side of the world
obviously not then if every 8-18 year old is the one making up 50-65% of the entire fanbase. Which games are more mature a game that revolves around justice reform, corrupt organization, school and work people being over worked to death, assult mentally physically, the subject of taxes and economic flow or even a game thats relises what medium its in a uses birght colors and fun gameplay as it talking points. Or a game where every 5 seconds is hand shakes and explorsions or you being a terrible and irresponsible parent by not answering your childs questions or just simple neglect or you just killing everything in site and yelling like a cave man on steroids.
Persona 5, Splatoon> Cod,God of war,Tlou

Last edited:

Shiken

That awkward moment when people are too dense to realize that a game geared for EVERYONE does not mean "geared toward kids".

Breath of the Wild
Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Metroid
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem
Daemon x Machina

While some of these examples off the top of my head are safe for kids, they are geared towards older audiences. And before anyone trys to say it, games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain still count because despite it being a different dev team, Nintendo is still funding and invested in the IP. Games like Smash, Mario, and splatoon are geared for everyone.

I get that some people might be insecure about their masculinity and try to play dumb, but it really does just make you look worse for trying. Believe it or not, it is perfectly reasonable to enjoy Nintendo games while also enjoying games like REmake 3, TLoU2, and Final Fantasy VII Remake on a side console.

Last edited:

Klayzer

My question why some of you guys trying too hard to seem "mature"? Do you guys play games to show off other how "mature" your hobby is? I thought entire point of playing video games is to enjoy yourself.

I mean my issue with entire western gaming culture is they are trying too hard look as "mature" industry so no "sexy designs" because thats too "immature" or make the gameplay as realistic like simulation because that seems what "mature" person should play, there is no over the top fun is allowed.
Count me out of the photo realism style of development. Give me artsy, colorful and unique designs for my games.

UDoneMessdUP

Neo Member
Games like Smash, Mario, and splatoon are geared for everyone.

I think Nintendo's best marketing chance is as marketing themselves as "for everyone". I think that if a games company only makes or promotes family friendly, colourful games, they're not including everyone just as much as another games company that only makes or promotes gritty, realistic, and mature games. Whilst Nintendo is unlikely to make a mature zombie horror game in-house, they're perfectly fine with showing promotional videos of franchises such as Resident Evil in their Directs, and having more mature games on the Switch. They have that balance of working with third-parties to bring those sorts of experiences to the Nintendo Switch, and then Nintendo itself provides a range of content such as more family-friendly casual games up to open-world fantasy epics.

That awkward moment when people are too dense to realize that a game geared for EVERYONE does not mean "geared toward kids".

Breath of the Wild
Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Metroid
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem
Daemon x Machina

While some of these examples off the top of my head are safe for kids, they are geared towards older audiences. And before anyone trys to say it, games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain still count because despite it being a different dev team, Nintendo is still funding and invested in the IP. Games like Smash, Mario, and splatoon are geared for everyone.

I get that some people might be insecure about their masculinity and try to play dumb, but it really does just make you look worse for trying. Believe it or not, it is perfectly reasonable to enjoy Nintendo games while also enjoying games like REmake 3, TLoU2, and Final Fantasy VII Remake on a side console.

You seem too dense to realize what primary target market means

Last edited:

BlackTron

Wait, Miyamoto is not only saying that Nintendo has shed its childish image, but also that they accomplished this...during the Wii era?

That is just outright lack of awareness. It's better now, but I'd say Wii was the all-time most "kiddy" reputation for Nintendo ever. I thought this was intentional, but they did that while actually actively trying to shed that image? That is eye-opening.

Shiken

You seem too dense to realize what primary target market means

Do you even know what "primary target market" means?

I don't think you do. Or are you just going to pretend that 90% of all Switch ads don't feature adults using the console?

Last edited:
Do you even know what "primary target market" means?

I don't think you do. Or are you just going to pretend that 90% of all Switch ads don't feature adults using the console?

Thats called trying to expand the market. why limit themselves to kids when they already have that market locked down, using a adult is smart marketing. look at nes and super nes commercials they mostly featured kids and those systems can be enjoyed everyone as well.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Games like COD and DOOM are whats really for childish brains
People see Nintendo games have colors and just assume it must be for children.
It's funny how backwards it all is.

jts

...hate me...
Wait, Miyamoto is not only saying that Nintendo has shed its childish image, but also that they accomplished this...during the Wii era?

That is just outright lack of awareness. It's better now, but I'd say Wii was the all-time most "kiddy" reputation for Nintendo ever. I thought this was intentional, but they did that while actually actively trying to shed that image? That is eye-opening.
The Wii was insane in capturing the adult and elderly market, especially with Wii Sports. Adults non-gamers were completely crazy about Wii Sports. It was huge back then. And then also reflected in other successes such as Wii Fit etc (obviously not for kids for for adults wanting to lose weight). This is well known facts.

Last edited:
Games like COD and DOOM are whats really for childish brains
People see Nintendo games have colors and just assume it must be for children.
It's funny how backwards it all is.

why are the childish because you kill people? its not like in mario or zelda you're not killing animals or demons.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
why are the childish because you kill people? its not like in mario or zelda you're not killing animals or demons.
You always judge on surface level what games is aimed at kids based on its aesthetics, I would say games like COD are more played by kids even compare to games like Zelda, because usually kids are the ones who desperately want to look more "mature" by playing "M" rated games and brag at their friends about it in schools while most adults really don't care at that point and just want to play games for fun.

Heinrich

Banned
Well, they are selling most consoles and games. Their exclusive games sell gangbusters and no one else is even close in selling those units, so who cares? People voted with their wallet.

You always judge on surface level what games is aimed at kids based on its aesthetics, I would say games like COD are more played by kids even compare to games like Zelda, because usually kids are the ones who desperately want to look more "mature" by playing "M" rated games and brag at their friends about it in schools while most adults really don't care at that point and just want to play games for fun.

Come on thats complete BS most parents won't even buy 6-11 year old a mature rated game. COD is a massively popular game with adults from most people i talked to.

Danjin44

Come on thats complete BS most parents won't even buy 6-11 year old a mature rated game. COD is a massively popular game with adults from most people i talked to.
And most majorities of kids as well, this even true when you play GTA online.

And most majorities of kids as well, this even true when you play GTA online.

Does that really matter? GTAV sold 120 million copies. Entertainment Software Rating Board specially tells you the content is not made for kids. zelda on the other hand tells you it's made for kids.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Does that really matter? GTAV sold 120 million copies. Entertainment Software Rating Board specially tells you the content is not made for kids. zelda on the other hand tells you it's made for kids.
And yet there are more adults play Zelda compare to kids, heck! I would even say these days kids are much more interested in games like COD or Battle Royals games than Mario and Zelda.

And yet there are more adults play Zelda compare to kids, heck! I would even say these days kids are much more interested in games like COD or Battle Royals games than Mario and Zelda.

yea i'm sure have stats to back that up. zelda and 3d mario are no where as popular as those games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Calm down fella, after all it's only childish video games, and resorting to swearing to get your points across, it's not big and it's not clever, seems to go against the whole mature thing. ;)

yea relax, no one is swearing at you bud.

You even want post to be rated E for everyone... Why even ignore the post to just talk about that? smh. Stop taking stuff out of context to argue. No one stated they do nothing to reach sooooo far just to argue. Reality is, MS has done more to get new consumers, Nintendo has done lots of the same to maintain their same base.

Simply looking at the teams that MS bought it shows they are just more serious about getting new consumers and changing their image if they need to.

Nintendo is looking to maintain the same image and same concepts. So you can't have this debate about Sony nor MS, clearly its 5 pages deep on here because to many of us, its obvious this company is clearly still about that Fisher Price, Hallmark Channel, family friendly, E For Everyone Life..... What works for them clearly still works. Its not a debate on who is successful or who is not. To even try to bring up MS recent misfortunes with the XONE is irrelevant to the point. Point is simply MS from 2001 to 2020 has made bigger changes to shed their past image then Nintendo has done. We want Gears Of War...ok what ram do we need? We want GTA? Ok how much do we have to pay? We want KH? What do we have to do? You want Yakuza? Ok what do we need to make that happen? Oh we like Uncharted, what can we do to get that level of single player on XB? THIS is the type of thing MS does... Its not simply some empty comment either, they actually seek to make those things happen.

I've NEVER see Nintendo do those type of things. Be like "We are making Wii U, can you make games for us? but btw we are not going to change anything with our system......why are you not giving us Arkham Knight?" Oh, lets make Switch, a weaker system, that will get dem games flowing. Lets......not buy more teams to address us having less relevant content. Thats the attitude you see from Nintendo. They have the money and I'd argue even a greater reason to even buy those teams vs MS. Nintendo is the one NOT getting a fat chunk of AAA 3rd party games. So If I have to chose, who wants to change soooooooo badly that they'll buy more teams, spend a boat load of money to get the best AAA 3rd party games, its MS. Maybe...maybe make a better point instead of trying to personal attack to derail the thread man. If you feel they've made more changes this MS, I'd LOVE to hear it.

When people try sooooooo hard to argue that Nintendo's really changed doe, I always think of this funny scene from The Simpsons when Bart sold his souls.

CNdG1UUXAAA7dPJ.jpg

Danjin44 Danjin44 Like stated before, you could eat fruit roll up as an adult, it doesn't actually mean that you are the target demographic. I'm siding with S siekro1983 with this one. GTA, COD etc were not created for kids as the target demographic to really make that work. I mean, friend....I love Animal Crossing more then the next guy, but I'm not going to pretend its suddenly not made with a younger demographic in mind.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I think theirs a difference between childish and family-friendly. Wii and DS was childish and then they moved to family-friendly image. They have something for everybody which is a good thing.

what is Nintendo most "mature" franchise, metriod?
Fire Emblem probably. It can go to some serious topics and has a lot of death and war.

Mozza

yea relax, no one is swearing at you bud.

You even want post to be rated E for everyone... Why even ignore the post to just talk about that? smh. Stop taking stuff out of context to argue. No one stated they do nothing to reach sooooo far just to argue. Reality is, MS has done more to get new consumers, Nintendo has done lots of the same to maintain their same base.

Simply looking at the teams that MS bought it shows they are just more serious about getting new consumers and changing their image if they need to.

Nintendo is looking to maintain the same image and same concepts. So you can't have this debate about Sony nor MS, clearly its 5 pages deep on here because to many of us, its obvious this company is clearly still about that Fisher Price, Hallmark Channel, family friendly, E For Everyone Life..... What works for them clearly still works. Its not a debate on who is successful or who is not. To even try to bring up MS recent misfortunes with the XONE is irrelevant to the point. Point is simply MS from 2001 to 2020 has made bigger changes to shed their past image then Nintendo has done. We want Gears Of War...ok what ram do we need? We want GTA? Ok how much do we have to pay? We want KH? What do we have to do? You want Yakuza? Ok what do we need to make that happen? Oh we like Uncharted, what can we do to get that level of single player on XB? THIS is the type of thing MS does... Its not simply some empty comment either, they actually seek to make those things happen.

I've NEVER see Nintendo do those type of things. Be like "We are making Wii U, can you make games for us? but btw we are not going to change anything with our system......why are you not giving us Arkham Knight?" Oh, lets make Switch, a weaker system, that will get dem games flowing. Lets......not buy more teams to address us having less relevant content. Thats the attitude you see from Nintendo. They have the money and I'd argue even a greater reason to even buy those teams vs MS. Nintendo is the one NOT getting a fat chunk of AAA 3rd party games. So If I have to chose, who wants to change soooooooo badly that they'll buy more teams, spend a boat load of money to get the best AAA 3rd party games, its MS. Maybe...maybe make a better point instead of trying to personal attack to derail the thread man. If you feel they've made more changes this MS, I'd LOVE to hear it.

When people try sooooooo hard to argue that Nintendo's really changed doe, I always think of this funny scene from The Simpsons when Bart sold his souls.

CNdG1UUXAAA7dPJ.jpg

Danjin44 Danjin44 Like stated before, you could eat fruit roll up as an adult, it doesn't actually mean that you are the target demographic. I'm siding with S siekro1983 with this one. GTA, COD etc were not created for kids as the target demographic to really make that work. I mean, friend....I love Animal Crossing more then the next guy, but I'm not going to pretend its suddenly not made with a younger demographic in mind.

To be honest I do not see how Microsoft have lost this much ground this generation, I think it has more to do with Sony not dropping the ball like they did with the Ps3 launch.

As for Nintendo it's nice to have a choice of a more family friendly output, I mean if the big three all offered pretty much the same content it would be a worse gaming landscape imho.

Utter rubbish. NCL hasn't made an adult In-House title in its life. The major difference is its allowed far more adult titles on its platform and doesn't look to censor titles like Wolfenstein any more
In-House from Japan its the same old story with games that use the cartoon look.

EDMIX

To be honest I do not see how Microsoft have lost this much ground this generation, I think it has more to do with Sony not dropping the ball like they did with the Ps3 launch.

As for Nintendo it's nice to have a choice of a more family friendly output, I mean if the big three all offered pretty much the same content it would be a worse gaming landscape imho.

I disagree with that first part. People don't just buy a product out of spite. MS had enough issues and continued to have issues this gen to have people decide to not buy an XB. Add in them putting their games on PC might have kept that number even lower, but a conversation for another day.

They are trying to turn that around by all the teams they bought in preparation for next gen to not have what happened this gen, happen next gen. So they had people not buy XONE more based on what MS did vs what Sony didn't do.

I have nothing against Nintendo being the family friendly choice, simply that I agree that they have maintained that same image, idea, philosophy etc compared to MS which fights to get new customers. Nintendo seems more concerned with keeping that then actually changing really anything. Even adding more teams won't suddenly hurt those that do like Mario, Zelda etc anymore then MS adding more teams would hurt Halo or Gears or something.

SO we can have Nintendo buy up some teams and they still make Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc and then lets say buy Platinum and have them do some M Rated stuff or something. I agree they are family friendly as that seems to be what many believe, I simply believe they don't offer as wide as a range as Sony and now MS.

You can buy a XB and play Halo, Gears and then Ori or Lucky Tales. You can buy a PS and play Ratchet and Clank, Knack, Dreams and then play The Last Of Us or God Of War or Killzone.

You'd be hard pressed to find Nintendo actually making a new IP that was M rated and backing it no different then their other IP. For better or for worse. Its something they just don't do often.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’d agree w/ “family-friendly”, yeah.. I think the portability of the Switch and the low quantity high quality first party games actually make it very adult-friendly..

Some of that is an effect of gaming becoming a more accepted part of mainstream (and adult) culture.. there’s cringey stuff about “gamers” once in awhile, but for my generation it’s a shrug that someone in their 20s or 30s would have a console..

abcdrstuv

Banned
I also think there’s so much breadth of content and style now that “violent” games are more of a genre than a mark of seriousness or maturity.. The new Doom was graphically violent in an almost comic way, exaggerated and kind of cartoonish or fantasy-tinged, like some kinds of heavy metal - I’m not sure it was any more “adult” than BotW, which wasn’t as viscerally fast or challenging but in some ways was more sophisticated.

when I think about “adult” games now (as an adult), I don’t think about making sure I can see dangling spines in Mortal Kombat.. I think of The Witcher 3 for the intelligence of its writing and design..

Shiken

Yeah i'm absolutely with him on this one, i'm done with N and his adult games
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

bc1f3044b2cfe9a2dea8e0a3350597f7004624ef.gifv

Man what a primitive, and ironically childish, way to post a rebuttal. Cherry picking games that are targeted for everyone or, in the case of Pokemon, are actually geared for kids to try to state how Nintendo's target audience is children only hurts your own credibility man. Lets PRETEND that games geared for everyone, or are just simply kid friendly like BotW, don't count for targeting adults. Why would you cherry pick Pokemon and AC, but leave out games like this?

m3UmfPv.jpg

0ba0KfV.jpg

1s5Pglg.jpg

xBrP26b.jpg

Two of these are first party, and the other two are funded and published by Nintendo. Now I could go out and find images of Little Big Planet, Medievil, and Ratchet...but as someone who understands EVERYONE=/=KIDDIE, I will leave it at that.

Thats called trying to expand the market. why limit themselves to kids when they already have that market locked down, using a adult is smart marketing. look at nes and super nes commercials they mostly featured kids and those systems can be enjoyed everyone as well.

So as you can see, Nintendo's primary target audience is just simply put as gamers as a whole. To try and say otherwise is just a showing of how bitter someone may feel over their recent success, or that these games are not on their console of choice. It goes beyond heavy marketing for adults, but they are also producing games that are not designed with children in mind. You can put a spin on it all you want, but when the content is there as well...something has to give man.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Man what a primitive, and ironically childish, way to post a rebuttal. Cherry picking games that are targeted for everyone or, in the case of Pokemon, are actually geared for kids to try to state how Nintendo's target audience is children only hurts your own credibility man. Lets PRETEND that games geared for everyone, or are just simply kid friendly like BotW, don't count for targeting adults. Why would you cherry pick Pokemon and AC, but leave out games like this?

m3UmfPv.jpg

0ba0KfV.jpg

1s5Pglg.jpg

xBrP26b.jpg

Two of these are first party, and the other two are funded and published by Nintendo. Now I could go out and find images of Little Big Planet, Medievil, and Ratchet...but as someone who understands EVERYONE=/=KIDDIE, I will leave it at that.

So as you can see, Nintendo's primary target audience is just simply put as gamers as a whole. To try and say otherwise is just a showing of how bitter someone may feel over their recent success, or that these games are not on their console of choice.

I played all the game you listed, of course they have a couple of semi-serious games, don't get mad if someone joke and laugh at miyamoto bullshit my dude

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
What's that first game? Those gfx are horrible and the foot even clips through the floor.

Shiken

I played all the game you listed, of course they have a couple of semi-serious games, don't get mad if someone joke and laugh at miyamoto bullshit my dude

No anger here, just laughing at the bullshit some of the people in this thread are exhibiting. Then having some fun calling them out on it. :messenger_winking:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo seems to get too easily trolled. Same thing happened with the Wii which led to the Wii U abomination. They want to have a reputation of being a hardcore platform so hard.

Top Bottom