• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Expects 10% Fewer Switch Sales Due to Supply Chain Woes

Tams

Gold Member
This reads like bullshit to me, Nintendo use manufacturing plants in the south of China and Shanghai is a financial hub not a manufacturing city like Shenzhen for example.
Because it's not just Shanghai that's got the virus spreading rapidly. It's just the worst and most high profile (with more Westerners than most places so they can't hide the everything).

Woopah

What games?
Well the Switch's full appeal, like any successful platform, is based on the variety of games from different publishers. But if we look at 10 of the top selling games just from Nintendo we can get some examples:
  • Mario Kart 8 DX - 43.35 million / 92 on Metacritic
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 37.62 million / 90 on Metacritic
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 27.40 million / 93 on Metacritic
  • Breath of the Wild - 25.80 million / 97 on Metacritic
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 23.9 million / 80 on Metacritic
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 23.02 million / 97 on Metacritic
  • Super Mario Party - 17.39 million / 76 on Metacritic
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 13.53 million / 83 on Metacritic
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.68 million / 83 on Metacritic
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 11.04 million / 85 on Metacritic

Switch has obviously hit it's saturation point, at least at the current price, so why try to lie and say it's a manufacturing issue? The Switch is always in stock wherever I go.

My guess is Nintendo is trying to boost sales by saying you better go out and get one now, or they'll be gone. Don't really see this method working.

Petopia

Banned
I am a console warrior and have been removed from the thread.
Well the Switch's full appeal, like any successful platform, is based on the variety of games from different publishers. But if we look at 10 of the top selling games just from Nintendo we can get some examples:
So ports, sequels and an "exercising" game, guess Nintendo fanboys settle for mediocrity.

Kssio_Aug

So ports, sequels and an "exercising" game, guess Nintendo fanboys settle for mediocrity.
Good Lord... And what's the problem with sequels now?

No one cares anymore for Mario, Halo, God of War, and the other hundreds of super popular IPs that has had sequels for YEARS and YEARS for a reason?

You're literally just looking for an excuse to dismiss Switch's games. But sorry dude, it's your loss being this stubborn.

Also, if you really want to know "what games", you can check many websites to check the Switch library with a simple google search, and you will notice that there are way more than the ones listed above. The console might have many issues, but the library is definitely not one of them.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
What 5nm capacity? Even AMD and Samsung can't get a look in there.
Wait fanboys care about tech specs?
Good Lord... And what's the problem with sequels now?

No one cares anymore for Mario, Halo, God of War, and the other hundreds of super popular IPs that has had sequels for YEARS and YEARS for a reason?

You're literally just looking for an excuse to dismiss Switch's games. But sorry dude, it's your loss being this stubborn.

Also, if you really want to know "what games", you can check many websites to check the Switch library with a simple google search, and you will notice that there are way more than the ones listed above. The console might have many issues, but the library is definitely not one of them.
Yeah wii u ports that is but don't worry most of it third party exclusives are going over to PC as well like rise and some squenix games.

nush

Gold Member
Because it's not just Shanghai that's got the virus spreading rapidly. It's just the worst and most high profile (with more Westerners than most places so they can't hide the everything).

I live in China, as a westerner view from my window is there's no national panic or huge virus outbreak. Shanghai, Hong Kong sure, but the rest of the place is trotting along quite nicely.

Kssio_Aug

Wait fanboys care about tech specs?

Yeah wii u ports that is but don't worry most of it third party exclusives are going over to PC as well like rise and some squenix games.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You're beyond saving...

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Supply chain woes for that week piece of plastic.

What games?

Still what games nothing that's on the level of botw am I right?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/a-no...atform-warring-plaguing-many-threads.1619387/

Lay off the petty console war baiting/trolling. There's no need to shit up the tread like you've been doing.

Petopia

Banned
I included the Metacritic scores as well as sales. If a game review well and score well I think that's pretty good evidence that they are not mediocre.

Switch sells because of its library of games that many people want to play, same as any platform.
Nah u can give all that but when ur library consists of nothing but ports that's saying alot also why isn't Metroid dread up there? I think it sells cause of muh portability and nothing else other why's dudes should be speaking about their laziness as of late.

Woopah

Nah u can give all that but when ur library consists of nothing but ports that's saying alot also why isn't Metroid dread up there? I think it sells cause of muh portability and nothing else other why's dudes should be speaking about their laziness as of late.
The Switch library is way more than ports though. I literally just gave you a list showing that.

Selling on portability alone makes no sense. The device has to have games that people want to play in portable mode.

Metroid Dread isn't up there as it's not one of the best selling games. It will be the best selling Metroid game (until Prime 4) but Metroid is still one of the smaller franchises that Nintendo has.

I have no idea what you are saying with the bolded.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Better than having a hug box man besides I have switch so why can't I question the fans who buys their games?

Nobody's looking for a hugbox, but all you're doing is shitposting and console warring.

"Supply chain woes for that week piece of plastic." is hardly questioning the fans, that's just you getting triggered and lashing out. But if you want to ask people why they buy Switch games then by all means start a thread and be open about why you're asking. Shitting up this thread on the other hand suggests that isn't your motivation though.

And, I'd avoid making any remarks like people needing a hugbox when you're so sensitive that you PM'd me to accuse me of reporting you and have decided to follow me.. which ironically got me the "Do you have a stalker?" achievement. I don't know who''s idea that achievement was but credit to them for the accuracy because they nailed it in your case.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Went by my local Target this past Friday to grab a Dualsense….the Nintendo case with full of Switches. This sounds like investor talk bullshit here. Just say to don’t plan on selling much because we have no games coming out in the foreseeable future, aside from Xeno..

Kssio_Aug

Went by my local Target this past Friday to grab a Dualsense….the Nintendo case with full of Switches. This sounds like investor talk bullshit here. Just say to don’t plan on selling much because we have no games coming out in the foreseeable future, aside from Xeno..
It would be very dumb for them to say something which isn't even true, that would only give Nintendo and the Switch platform a negative light. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tams

Gold Member
Nintendo - can we get a new Switch please? A stronger system? Do something. Plz.
Considering the OLED model is only half a year old, that just ain't happening.

And while I would like a better one, we don't need one. First-party titles still look and play great on the Switch (yes, they could still be better), and if you're really picky about third-party titles... there's always Sony, Microsoft and PC gaming to turn to. You'd do that right, given you like gaming? You do like gaming, right?

Woopah

This is not an official statement from Nintendo to investors. This is Nikkei reporting on what Nintendo is saying internally / to suppliers.

Considering the OLED model is only half a year old, that just ain't happening.

And while I would like a better one, we don't need one. First-party titles still look and play great on the Switch (yes, they could still be better), and if you're really picky about third-party titles... there's always Sony, Microsoft and PC gaming to turn to. You'd do that right, given you like gaming? You do like gaming, right?

Weirdly agressive. Yes, I have a series X. I just want a stronger Switch 2. I don't think that's beyond the pale.

Tams

Gold Member
Weirdly agressive. Yes, I have a series X. I just want a stronger Switch 2. I don't think that's beyond the pale.
Well, I just told you why there's not likely to be one for a while.

As to why the 'aggressive' stance? You're commenting like a 12-year-old on energy drinks.

Well, I just told you why there's not likely to be one for a while.

As to why the 'aggressive' stance? You're commenting like a 12-year-old on energy drinks.

Tams, a little self reflection. The whole "You DO like gaming?" piece was weird. Also I'm 41. Feel free to relax. As a consumer I'm not buying any more Switch minor updates until we get a new beefier model. Just my choice. And yes, I do like gaming.

Last edited:

Mozza

So no sequels on any of the other consoles then, just because the games are not to your own personal taste does not make them bad.

Wondered when we would get settling for or celebrating mediocrity, wish I had brought my bingo card now. ;)

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
And splatoon, and pokemon and mountains of third party games but yeah
Plus the switch is still tracking ahead of the 20 million selling 2019, and nintendos sales are more loaded toward the holiday period, I think the point is Nintendo expects stock issues then not during the lower demand summer months

Mozza

P Petopia what are you 5 years old or something? Don’t like the Switch system then don’t buy it? there is no need to go all fanbosim and trolling just because other people like something you don’t like.
There is a core minority that hate the fact a modest powered hybrid console is selling so well, and continues to do so as does it's games, simply because they themselves just do not see it.They feel that everyone buys consoles and games for the exact reasons they do, when in reality they are in the minority.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is a core minority that hate the fact a modest powered hybrid console is selling so well
I would say majority of GAF gets highly offended by this fact, this place values graphics above all else and seeing Switch selling this well despite being under power, hits them hard and unable to accept the fact outside gaming forums no one gives shit about high tech graphics.

Last edited:

Mozza

Nintendo - can we get a new Switch please? A stronger system? Do something. Plz.
I have a Series X and an OLED Switch, both look fine on my LG OLED T.V, when Lego Star Wars was released I chose the Series X version, as the main reason for the Switch is for Nintendo titles, which look fine on the current model Switch, for all those uber realistic games I will use the Series X, not sure I need an upgraded Switch right now.

Mozza

I would say majority of GAF gets highly offended by this fact, this place values graphics above all else and seeing Switch selling this well despite being under power, hits them hard and unable to accept the fact outside gaming forums no gives shit about high tech graphics.
Exactly, take a look at Digital foundry, the byword for graphical tear downs and performance on YouTube, and yet only around a million subscribers, which is niche at best.

And not only does the wider mass market not care about graphics, they are not even aware they are being discussed in the first place.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Mentions Nintendo releasing “far more than 2 games a year”, lists 10 games that have been released in the past 5 years.

… so yeah 2 games a year.

MrA

Banned
Mentions Nintendo releasing “far more than 2 games a year”, lists 10 games that have been released in the past 5 years.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We have to be getting close to the point where every who wants one has one. I have like 3 of them.

Woopah

I was simply listing 10 of the most popular ones. In the post I mentioned there being a variety of games from other publishers.

MrA has given an exhaustive list of first party games and then of course you have all the third party ones on top of that.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Another thing is the whole 720p screen issue, the Switch has a 720p screen and it's the end of the world and should be at least 1080p, the Steam Deck has a 720p screen and it's the best console in the world, seriously you could not make any of this up if you tried. ;)

You could make it up because that's literally what you just did. The Steam Deck screen is 800p, not 720p. The Steam Deck's screen could be better, but it's not bad. The Steam Deck beats out the (non-OLED) Switch when it comes to the built-in display, and it beats out the Switch when it comes to outputting to a TV.

Additionally, you're acting like the screen is what's giving the Steam Deck the "greatest console ever" title. Besides the fact that I don't think anyone is arguing that, there are a myriad of reasons that it is better than the Nintendo Switch. And none of those reasons should make you as defensive as you are since the Switch is over five years old at this point.

I get that you're super-sensitive when it comes to your favorite plastic box, but let's not resort to blatantly false accusations that are borderline console warring.

Tams

Gold Member
You could make it up because that's literally what you just did. The Steam Deck screen is 800p, not 720p. The Steam Deck's screen could be better, but it's not bad. The Steam Deck beats out the (non-OLED) Switch when it comes to the built-in display, and it beats out the Switch when it comes to outputting to a TV.

Additionally, you're acting like the screen is what's giving the Steam Deck the "greatest console ever" title. Besides the fact that I don't think anyone is arguing that, there are a myriad of reasons that it is better than the Nintendo Switch. And none of those reasons should make you as defensive as you are since the Switch is over five years old at this point.

I get that you're super-sensitive when it comes to your favorite plastic box, but let's not resort to blatantly false accusations that are borderline console warring.
While 800p is notably more pixels (especially considering the low powered hardware), it's still in the same 'class' as a 720p display. There are the same number of horizontal pixels. And the non-OLED Switch's display is around the same quality.

Mozza

But the console has no games, people are just buying it for the sake of it. ;)

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
And splatoon, and pokemon and mountains of third party games but yeah
Plus the switch is still tracking ahead of the 20 million selling 2019, and nintendos sales are more loaded toward the holiday period, I think the point is Nintendo expects stock issues then not during the lower demand summer months
I hope so! I’m not a huge Nintendo guy, but I do own a switch, and the better every system does, the better for gamers. If everyone is selling out, it increases the drive of the other two companies…then in theory, we get really solid games that come from it. I mean it’s possible they literally got stock in that morning…but it was weird seeing anything over one or two at a time in a case. Definitely the first time I have seen it post Covid. There was also about 4 or 5 Series S’s, but those are definitely getting easier to find.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
While 800p is notably more pixels (especially considering the low powered hardware), it's still in the same 'class' as a 720p display. There are the same number of horizontal pixels. And the non-OLED Switch's display is around the same quality.

A slightly larger display resolution is better than a slightly smaller display resolution when it comes to handheld gaming. I'm not saying the screen is leaps and bounds better than the Switch. I'm saying it's equivalent to the Switch, and in terms of resolution it is slightly superior.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
A slightly larger display is better than a slightly smaller display when it comes to handheld gaming. I'm not saying the screen is leaps and bounds better than the Switch. I'm saying it's equivalent to the Switch, and in terms of resolution it is slightly superior.
Resolution has nothing to do with display size and aspect ratio only tangentially so.

I‘m actually surprised that they sold 20% less Switch units in 2021 compared to 2020. I thought their numbers were still rising year after year. But I‘m not sure I buy that it‘s entirely due to supply constraints. Has the Switch been hard to get over the last year? I’m pretty sure I‘ve always seen them in stores. Sounds more like the Switch is starting to hit market saturation at its current price.

But if the Switch has really entered its saturation phase, then the chances of Nintendo releasing a successor next year are pretty good (maybe even with BotW2 as a cross-gen launch title?). By next year the Switch will be six years old; both the DS and the 3DS were the same age when their successors launched. However, if the supply situation continues, they might not be able to produce as much as they would like to. Then again, according to this article the same is true for the current Switch as well, so it looks they‘re kind of screwed either way, whether they release a Switch 2 in the near future or not.
Switch hardware sales have risen every year apart from this year, it is projected to sell 23 million (needs 4.05 million in Q4). This is still it's second highest year.

MyeDQm0.png

Last edited:
How are they tracking vs ps2 ? I was convinced it would outsell it to become the biggest sales behemoth of all time but will these shortages mess them up?

Switch continue to be unbelievable.
After 5 fiscal years the PS2 had sold 87.47 million, Switch is at 103.54 million with one quarter remaining to complete FY5. Switch is projected to be around 107.5 million after that quarter so is leading PS2 by around 20 million launched aligned. However PS2 sold for 12 years and Switch is
not going to be around that long so it needs to sell much quicker than PS2 to have a chance of passing it.

Top Bottom