• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Expects 10% Fewer Switch Sales Due to Supply Chain Woes

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After 5 fiscal years the PS2 had sold 87.47 million, Switch is at 103.54 million with one quarter remaining to complete FY5. Switch is projected to be around 107.5 million after that quarter so is leading PS2 by around 20 million launched aligned. However PS2 sold for 12 years and Switch is
not going to be around that long so it needs to sell much quicker than PS2 to have a chance of passing it.

Holy shit, that is crazy. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I cant see them selling it for another 3 or 4 years so it probably wont pass it.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

The best sixth fiscal year is 17.53 million by Nintendo DS.

* Number accounts for only three quarters

DXwvvBa.png

9OJpC52.png

The switch definitely has a shot at beating that even though it literally never had a price cut. Some may even argue that the OLED is effectively a price hike. That's wild.

I was waiting for your post, to get some actual facts about the situation, awesome as usual.
We get new Switch data on May 10th for Q4, i think Hardware will be 3.9m and software 58m. For new software i think Kirby and the forgotten land will be around 2.8m and Pokemon Legends Arceus 12.5m. What are your predictions?

Calm Mind

That first page is embarrassingly cringe. We get it. You like your new pretty shiny. But to come into a Switch focused news thread and parade some console warrior BS is totally unacceptable.

With that said, over 20 million in its sixth year is a remarkable feat and should be seen as such. This is one of the Switch' strongest years thus far and the hardware and most especially the software numbers speak for themselves.

*goes back to playing Switch Sports*

Last edited:

Deerock71

Lol Nintendo. You always have a way with words to try paint a different picture. You sold 28mil at the peak of the pandemic in 2020. There is no shortage. It's a normal and expected decline of a product's life.
This cracks me up when it dawns on somebody that Nintendo's ancient, old, archaic piece of tech HASN'T EVEN HAD THE BENEFIT OF ONE PRICE CUT FROM NINTENDO.*

*Not counting the one for the price adjustment for the Euro.

Mozza

We get new Switch data on May 10th for Q4, i think Hardware will be 3.9m and software 58m. For new software i think Kirby and the forgotten land will be around 2.8m and Pokemon Legends Arceus 12.5m. What are your predictions?
I think you will not be far away with your estimates, maybe a tad more, will be interesting to see though.

I'll bet Nintendo's waiting out the chip shortage to release a higher-spec revision, so that's why we got the OLED when we did, with little-to-no fanfare. I assume that, like me, there are a lot of people holding out on buying a new Switch until there's a spec upgrade, a la New 3DS.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I went to my local Target this weekend and they had tons of Switches in stock. Oled, animal crossing LE, original switch, etc… they had lots.

I went to my local Target this weekend and they had tons of Switches in stock. Oled, animal crossing LE, original switch, etc… they had lots.
I would expect a price cut heading into the holidays, as they gear up for the inevitable "Super Switch" next year.

Switch has had an amazing rocket-ship rise to the top of the heap, and I'm guessing the longest sustained period of growth of a home console, ever? But, chip shortage or not, the system reached it's peak last year, and this year will be year 2 of the downward trajectory. It's time for that price cut that they've been holding out on. Kudos to them for selling Switch for $300 without ever needing to cut the price, but, it's time.

It's also time for Player's Choice/ Nintendo Selects whatever they choose to call it, line of discount software. Usually the line of discount software would happen in year 3 or 4, Nintendo's been able to get by without it, but the time is coming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom