• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Interested in Remastering Unreal

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think that the original is a relic of the time. Nostalgia goggles and shit

Unreal Tournament still is doing fine thou

simpatico

Epic is never going to let this happen sadly. Even though it's free money, it's not enough free money to convince Tencent to let them do something good.

Apocryphon

I think that the original is a relic of the time. Nostalgia goggles and shit

Unreal Tournament still is doing fine thou
That’s like saying Quake is a relic of the time. A game with some of the best examples of first person shooter combat encounter and level design ever committed to a videogame. A game that is used in games design degree courses to demonstrate examples of good level design.

What about Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, Prodeus, Cultic, or any of the other fps games that have released in recent years? Unreal isn’t much different to any of those. What are we comparing it to?

Maybe they could do both games since they're so close
The original release of Unreal used a different engine than UT99, but when whey released Unreal Gold, it was updated to the same version, so in an ideal world, we’d get an Unreal remaster of the single player portion, and UT99 as it’s multiplayer component instead of the original version of the multiplayer the game shipped with.

UT99 was originally planned as an expansion of Unreal Gold since the code for Unreal’s multiplayer was messy, but they realized how fucking amazing the thing was and released it as it’s own product.

Would rather see a remaster of UT2004 tbh.
I would like a UT2003. The vehicles were irritating in 2004 because it resulted in much more open maps.

Drew1440

The original unreal games were delisted as Epic shut down the master servers for these games. There were plans to release a new version of Unreal Tournament 3 as a Free-to-play title but was cancelled at the last minite, leaving that game in limbo.
Unreal Tournament 3X

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That’s like saying Quake is a relic of the time. A game with some of the best examples of first person shooter combat encounter and level design ever committed to a videogame. A game that is used in games design degree courses to demonstrate examples of good level design.

What about Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, Prodeus, Cultic, or any of the other fps games that have released in recent years? Unreal isn’t much different to any of those. What are we comparing it to?

The original release of Unreal used a different engine than UT99, but when whey released Unreal Gold, it was updated to the same version, so in an ideal world, we’d get an Unreal remaster of the single player portion, and UT99 as it’s multiplayer component instead of the original version of the multiplayer the game shipped with.

UT99 was originally planned as an expansion of Unreal Gold since the code for Unreal’s multiplayer was messy, but they realized how fucking amazing the thing was and released it as it’s own product.

I would like a UT2003. The vehicles were irritating in 2004 because it resulted in much more open maps.
The community in Quake series is way more active, and while the fast paced classic fps are rising again, original Unreal community is more close to Turok community than anything id Software related

In a nutshell: Tournament will bring more money than original

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only way I'd replay an Unreal 1 remaster is if they allowed UT99 weapons in it. There was a MOD called Olskool that allowed Unreal 1 to be played in UT99. That was my preferred way to play.

Krathoon

Wow. Unreal Gold is no longer on gog. Wonder when that happened. Good thing I got it when I could.

It is not on the Epic store either.

I guess it is officially abandonware now.

Edit: Whoops. I was wrong. Unreal Gold and Tournament are on Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom