• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Interested in Remastering Unreal

Apocryphon

Unreal Gold was updated over the launch version of the game to run on the same version of the engine as UT99. The base game, the Return to Na Pali expansion, UT99, and a selection of the best single player and multiplayer map packs would be a compelling package.

I don’t think a new expansion ala the Machine Games content we have seen for Quake is likely, unless Cliffy’s team did it themselves..!?

Epic haven’t displayed any interest in the franchise in years, but what do they have to lose? Money is money no?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Solidus_T

Guess we'll find out. I don't see it happening, but you never know. I just hate that the IP has just been sitting under Epic and they've done nothing with it. I was so happy when they were doing the UT thing, but then the way they just dropped it was so shitty IMO, lol.
It's a shame Epic chose to leave these games behind. Really criminal. Any developer who is serious should employ people who are interested in the history of the company and carry that through their work.

Apocryphon

Guess we'll find out. I don't see it happening, but you never know. I just hate that the IP has just been sitting under Epic and they've done nothing with it. I was so happy when they were doing the UT thing, but then the way they just dropped it was so shitty IMO, lol.
Epic definitely don’t care, but we’ll see what happens. This wouldn’t require much from them directly.

My dream has been for a full on Unreal reboot using UE4/5, but I’ll take a Nightdive remaster of the first game in a heartbeat.

Nobody wants Unreal 2 though. That shit can stay dead 😂

ljubomir

Unreal Gold was updated over the launch version of the game to run on the same version of the engine as UT99. The base game, the Return to Na Pali expansion, UT99, and a selection of the best single player and multiplayer map packs would be a compelling package.

I don’t think a new expansion ala the Machine Games content we have seen for Quake is likely, unless Cliffy’s team did it themselves..!?

Epic haven’t displayed any interest in the franchise in years, but what do they have to lose? Money is money no?

Unpopular opinion, but I hate Unreal Gold. Ultra textures are nice, but I really dislike UT/Win95 menus. The worst thing though is that every map ends with a stats screen a'la Quake 1. It really breaks the immersion and the feeling of a cohesive world you are traveling through, which the original was great at. I know its a petty complaint, but it grinds my nuts, cant help it :D.

If the remake would retcon that stats screen I'd be the happiest pig in the pond.

I'd pick up Unreal enhanced in a second, absolutely!
There's a couple of things we need elsewhere, still: stick the
PSX versions of Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II in as mods to DOOM.
Alien Trilogy, from PSX and Saturn.

Most importantly: RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN! Enemey Territory would be a nice extra, but the main campaign, maybe co-op, and just like Q2, cut stuff.

Please. I will do terrible things and debase myself for RTCW Enhanced.

ljubomir

Most importantly: RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN! Enemey Territory would be a nice extra, but the main campaign, maybe co-op, and just like Q2, cut stuff.

Also the PSX version of the Quake 2. It was close to the PC version, but different enough to be interesting IMO.

This would be a free win for Epic, but I can see Epic Games potentially pushing the studio(or any studio who tries to do this) towards a remake in UE5 rather than just a simple remaster. They might even try to push for the Halo Master Chief Collection style of pressing a button to switch between graphical styles.

Man those Halo remakes never get mentioned but 343 put in that work!
Agreed. If they ever bounce back to making games, I think they could easily be slotted into a 1:1 remake studio, like what they did with Halo. They just need more talent to make sure that things work perfectly day 1.

Forsythia

Just do it. And while they're at it, make a neat package for Half-Life 1, including Uplink, Decay and both expansions.

Stuart360

A streamer i watch knows the Nightdive guys as he used to do some work for them (he worked on Turok 1 and 2, and the Forsaken remasters). Anyway he said on stream that Nightdive told him this was pretty muvch a done deal, this was only a couple of days ago.

Anyway great news and i hope it happens. I adored the orig game, even though i hate mouse and keyboard, and knowing we will get this remaster with controller support kind of wets my pants a little.

EDIT. He also said they are wanting to remaster Bloodlines too, although thats not set in stone yet. That would also make me wet my pants lol.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Am I wrong in reading this as though before the end of the year they will release another 2 remastered games?

Also the PSX version of the Quake 2. It was close to the PC version, but different enough to be interesting IMO.
They have already said that this is being worked on.

I would also love a Return to Castle Wolfenstein remaster. I would want a couple of weapon model changes but that’s about it. Game is fantastic.

Adding ray tracing or path tracing could also be an option.

8C6296D189FF151B7A55DA955BDA1A17AAFA7774
Requires creating entirely new PBR textures and then re-lighting everything. It could be done, but it’s a lot of work and Nightdive don’t seem like the studio to do it.

Unreal could look great with real raytracing though.

Epic: Why? That's money we could have spent on Fortnite instead.
This is what I’m afraid of.

Stuart360

I’d also like then to give System Shock 2 the full remake treatment instead of just going the Enhanced route. The work they did on System Shock was fantastic.

Deus Ex too. Who wouldn’t want a Deus Ex remake in the vein of System Shock 2023!?
They are doing System Shock 2, but its just going to be a standard remaster, not a full remake. Remasters are their bread and butter, and the System Shock remake took them over 7 years to finish.

Kuranghi

This would be a free win for Epic, but I can see Epic Games potentially pushing the studio(or any studio who tries to do this) towards a remake in UE5 rather than just a simple remaster. They might even try to push for the Halo Master Chief Collection style of pressing a button to switch between graphical styles.

As long as I'm able to hit said button once as soon as the game starts and never see those "enhanced graphics" again:

Walking Glancing GIF

Partly nostalgia of course to see the original graphics, but its mostly that the new graphics are not good design work for both visual coherence and artistically, just because you can do something/add something doesn't mean you should.

would you play that shit?
i won't

I stopped playing online games so Im not really the best person to ask, but if it was the old me, then yes I would love a modern unreal tournament. I played almost all of them but 2004 was my most played. I still have the soundtrack somewhere saved. I need a remake of that!

Danknugz

Does Epic care about anything other than Fortnite and Unreal Engine? They killed Unreal Tournament without even flinching.
good question, my question is, unreal was the first to use unreal engine (maybe that's a dumb question) and crazy to see how far UE has come now in the present

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I stopped playing online games so Im not really the best person to ask, but if it was the old me, then yes I would love a modern unreal tournament. I played almost all of them but 2004 was my most played. I still have the soundtrack somewhere saved. I need a remake of that!
we need UT 2003/2004 UT3 master maps collection. with halo ingame engine swap..
but modern times killed it you can't monetize it. The target audience are people like you and me

SpaceDeliria

Neo Member
Epic doesn't seem to want anything to do with Unreal/UT. I doubt they care about a remaster considering they buried their legacy by delisting everything Unreal related not that long ago.

Apocryphon

would you play that shit?
i won't
I’d like to see how much money Quake Champions has made. Not enough I imagine.

That’s why I want UT99 bundled with the Unreal remaster. The original launch used an older version of the engine, but it was updated to the same version as UT99 when they released Unreal Gold. The Quake remasters have been excellent value for money, but I would pay more ($20+) for an Unreal remaster that came with UT99. Otherwise I don’t see how they monetize UT enough for Epic to give a damn.

Gp1

Psss.

They are probably already working on it.

I remember an old tweet about a grid with 15 or so 90's shooters and one of the main honchos of Nightdive saying, we are already working on a bunch of these. I'll try to find it.

found it

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Unreal already scales amazingly well without mods from what I remember unless things got really weird.
It does, but Return to Na Pali needs to be rebalanced as it’s way easier than the base game, and Unreal was never released on consoles. Bundle it with UT99 and it episode absolutely be worth having a remaster of.

I don’t think there was much cut content, but a new expansion could be interesting, and maybe a content vault like what they put together for Quake 2.

Port it to UT4 and rework some of the lighting and textures. Update the enemy character models and the weapon models. Given the tweet they obviously think it’s worth doing.

Top Bottom