• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Interested in Remastering Unreal

SpiceRacz

Unpopular opinion, but I hate Unreal Gold. Ultra textures are nice, but I really dislike UT/Win95 menus. The worst thing though is that every map ends with a stats screen a'la Quake 1. It really breaks the immersion and the feeling of a cohesive world you are traveling through, which the original was great at. I know its a petty complaint, but it grinds my nuts, cant help it :D.

If the remake would retcon that stats screen I'd be the happiest pig in the pond.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a stats screen at any point in Unreal Gold. It was a fluid transition between maps. I played the version on GoG before it got delisted.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Psss.

They are probably already working on it.

I remember an old tweet about a grid with 15 or so 90's shooters and one of the main honchos of Nightdive saying, we are already working on a bunch of these. I'll try to find it.

found it

I'll take a remaster of Alien Trilogy, Blood and Half-Life, please.

Apocryphon

I'll take a remaster of Alien Trilogy, Blood and Half-Life, please.
Nightdive already did Blood with Fresh Supply though!?

I would rather have AvP2 than Alien Trilogy I think. Half Life would be an instant purchase though. For as good as Black Mesa is, a remastered Half Life with Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Decay would be amazing. Maybe they could even finish the cancelled Hostile Takeover expansion that was only a couple of months from shipping when it git binned.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
alien trilogy with free look enabled will be interesting
amazing atmosphere , best alien game along side alien isolation

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nightdive already did Blood with Fresh Supply though!?

I would rather have AvP2 than Alien Trilogy I think. Half Life would be an instant purchase though. For as good as Black Mesa is, a remastered Half Life with Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Decay would be amazing. Maybe they could even finish the cancelled Hostile Takeover expansion that was only a couple of months from shipping when it git binned.

Did they? Shit, I totally missed that. Probably because it's not on consoles, which is where I do most of my gaming.

I'd like to see all the Alien FPS games remastered, including the first two AvP games, Alien Trilogy and the fantastic Alien Resurrection.

Half-Life would be the dream, complete with all the expansion packs.

I'd also like to see Turok 3, but only because it's the only Turok game I didn't play.

VN1X

Banned
Psss.

I remember an old tweet about a grid with 15 or so 90's shooters and one of the main honchos of Nightdive saying, we are already working on a bunch of these. I'll try to find it.

found it

Alien Trilogy pls. :goog_love:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
You mean 343 did a great job of getting those other studios to actually do the work

ice-t hater GIF

Forsythia

Psss.

found it

Hexen/Heretic, yes please! And why isn't Blood Fresh Supply on consoles?

But I'm missing NOLF 1 & 2 (Contract JACK can die in a fire) in that picture. Now THAT would be amazing.

Loke

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a stats screen at any point in Unreal Gold. It was a fluid transition between maps. I played the version on GoG before it got delisted.

There isn't. He's probably confusing it with the expansion pack Return to Na Pali which does feature intermissions between levels, which is also included with the Unreal Gold edition.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d buy Unreal 1 and 2. I use to have that collection with the OST mix. Those were CD’s though.

Epic isn’t Id Software, so who knows what their philosophy is with giving out the source code. They would probably make a Fortnite skin for Unreal and call it good.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
No they aren't. Epic pulled all Unreal/UT titles from every digital storefront imaginable including GoG. If you already bought them you would still see them in your library but you can't buy the games digitally anymore.

Indeed. They don't even sell it on their own store.
I really don't understand the reasoning behind such decision.

Stuart360

No they aren't. Epic pulled all Unreal/UT titles from every digital storefront imaginable including GoG. If you already bought them you would still see them in your library but you can't buy the games digitally anymore.
No you're right, i just checked again. Its weird because when a game gets pulled from Steam, they dont usually have a store page anymore, but all the Unreal games still do. Thats what made me think they were still up for sale.

I never gave a shit about the single player unreal games. We need ut2004 or a real ut4.

Fuck epic. They are willing to money hat games to be exclusive to their store but won't make an exclusive game themselves to attract people to their store .

All the money in the world and they won't spend a few million to finish UT4

Apocryphon

Did they? Shit, I totally missed that. Probably because it's not on consoles, which is where I do most of my gaming.
You wouldn’t have wanted to play it at launch anyway as it was borked. They ported it to the Kex engine and broke a lot of things in the progress. They’ve patched it a couple of times since and now it’s fine, but I suspect it wasn’t brought to consoles because Atari are dicks. I think it would have sold well enough to warrant a port, especially on Switch, but I can’t see it happening now.

If Unreal 2 had been a good game, would Unreal as a game franchise still be around?
Possibly. Though Fortnite would still have very likely killed it off anyway.

Unreal 2 was dreadful though and I definitely wouldn’t want a remaster of that garbage 😂

Did Timmy pull all the Unreal games from stores? Im not seeing them anymore.
You can still buy keys from places like G2A and register and download them on Steam. You just can’t buy them from Steam directly.

SpiceRacz

Lots of rose tinted nostalgia around this, disguising what was a technical tour de force, hiding a very mediocre campaign, IMO.

I played it maybe a year ago and loved it. Even prefer it over Half Life 2 (which I also played recently).

Caio

Wait wait, are you talking about this :

This was my first Game on my brand new PC, bought by my father, so many years ago, I was so young. It was a Pentium 2 400 Mhz and a Voodoo2 Graphic card, OMG what a memory, I was so proud about the graphics and animations, we also made a benchmark, comparing my PC with the one of my best friend, same CPU, but coupled to a Millennium G200. I won by a big margin :)

So, they should remake it, not remaster, because I want it.

Apocryphon

Apocryphon

The Redux dude been working on this for over 5 years now

He’s done good work. Apparently he reached out to Nightdive after seeing the tweet I linked to in the OP to let them know about his work. He said they were already aware of it. I’d just offer him a contract to assist on the remaster and incorporate a bunch of his stuff.

coffinbirth

Blade Runner
Blood
Quake

Stopped buying after that.

EDIT: I bought Shadowman after that, I forgot. Also, that was launch woes, they could've been fixed since, but sitting around waiting months for bugfixes and patches to 20+ year old games is not something I'm hanging around for.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What other games? Quake 2 RTX is a thing, but raytracing requires PBR materials and they Wii do need to port the content to Unreal 4 at a minimum.

Blade Runner and Blood Fresh Supply come to mind.
There are RT mods for quake1,2,half-life and probably some more.
Doesn't matter if materials are pbr

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Blade Runner
Blood
Quake

Stopped buying after that.

EDIT: I bought Shadowman after that, I forgot. Also, that was launch woes, they could've been fixed since, but sitting around waiting months for bugfixes and patches to 20+ year old games is not something I'm hanging around for.
Hmmm. I had no issues with quake or shadow man. I bought them later on though. I did hear about blade runner. Better track record than a lot still imo. Their system shock remake is highly regarded as well.

Apocryphon

There are RT mods for quake1,2,half-life and probably some more.
Doesn't matter if materials are pbr
I had seen the DF video on path traced Quake but assumed it had texture changes. I hadn’t seen the Half Life one but neither look anywhere near as good as Quake 2 RTX with the PBR materials. I don’t think anybody has done path tracing for Unreal, but it’s a game that would absolutely benefit from it given the lighting, reflective surfaces and heavy use of fog volumes. You could use ReShade I guess but I think the results from ReShade are generally pretty garish.

coffinbirth

Hmmm. I had no issues with quake or shadow man. I bought them later on though. I did hear about blade runner. Better track record than a lot still imo. Their system shock remake is highly regarded as well.
I mean, they remaster/remake stone cold classic games, hard to argue that...but I've had several unpleasant experiences with some of their releases, but that's my own fault for not waiting, really. Also, their use of LRG for physical releases has always ground my gears as well. Hopefully now with Atari having acquired them we can get proper physical releases.

I've waited long enough, I'll probably grab that System Shock Remake now that all of the reproducible crashes have been patched, haha ;)

Apocryphon

I mean, they remaster/remake stone cold classic games, hard to argue that...but I've had several unpleasant experiences with some of their releases, but that's my own fault for not waiting, really. Also, their use of LRG for physical releases has always ground my gears as well. Hopefully now with Atari having acquired them we can get proper physical releases.

I've waited long enough, I'll probably grab that System Shock Remake now that all of the reproducible crashes have been patched, haha ;)
System Shock is really good. There are some weird quirks like some the gamepad icons being borderline unintelligible, but I didn’t run into any noticeable bugs in my playthroughs.

zdoom.org
I don't think they can come close to this.

Plus already the copies of D1, D2 and D64 on current and last gen systems are pretty much perfect ports....what more is there to remaster? Also you can play Doom on your toaster, Id rather have games remastered that we literally have nowhere else to play except a modified PC.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You can still buy keys from places like G2A and register and download them on Steam. You just can’t buy them from Steam directly.

Unfortunately that’s the only method now. Gamergate had them for the longest time, and was selling the entire collection for $3 often. They’re gone as is CDkeys stock.

I’m sure prices have gone up.

Unreal Gold was updated over the launch version of the game to run on the same version of the engine as UT99. The base game, the Return to Na Pali expansion, UT99, and a selection of the best single player and multiplayer map packs would be a compelling package.

I don’t think a new expansion ala the Machine Games content we have seen for Quake is likely, unless Cliffy’s team did it themselves..!?

Epic haven’t displayed any interest in the franchise in years, but what do they have to lose? Money is money no?

I'm an admirer of the Unreal franchise and have played most games within the series. Unreal Gold boasts a vast collection of tropical landscapes, temples, spaceships which encompass the single player campaign, and that's not even mentioning the challenging enemies, brutal weapon roster and sublime soundtrack. Multiplayer on the other hand is a mixed bag due to small character models and hectic tempo, though some maps are notable standouts. Many people who played this upon release and even now to an extent will feel a sense of awe and peace when emerging from the crashed ship to NyLeve's Falls.

0dd7a06a-9dbd-4d73-b691-ef665ea2acfc.jpg
cf16e90c-9cda-41cc-b00f-9c9c6fea1940.jpg

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'm an admirer of the Unreal franchise and have played most games within the series. Unreal Gold boasts a vast collection of tropical landscapes, temples, spaceships which encompass the single player campaign, and that's not even mentioning the challenging enemies, brutal weapon roster and sublime soundtrack. Multiplayer on the other hand is a mixed bag due to small character models and hectic tempo, though some maps are notable standouts. Many people who played this upon release and even now to an extent will feel a sense of awe and peace when emerging from the crashed ship to NyLeve's Falls.

0dd7a06a-9dbd-4d73-b691-ef665ea2acfc.jpg
cf16e90c-9cda-41cc-b00f-9c9c6fea1940.jpg

Man those footsteps

Stop Talking Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Top Bottom