• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Studios Hints at Future FPS Remasters

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nightdive seems intent on reviving formerly popular games that have become lost to time, either through studio closures or their incompatibility with newer tech. In a recent tweet, founder Stephen Kick shared an image of numerous beloved first-person shooter titles with the caption, “We’ve remastered 4 of these… with a few more on the way.” The games on the list that Nightdive Studios has already worked on are Doom 64, Quake, Blood: Fresh Supply, and PowerSlave Exhumed.

Of the other titles in the image, Nightdive has already expressed interest in remastering the first Unreal, so it’s no surprise to see that game on the list. And though Doom was successfully rebooted in 2016, some fans would undoubtedly still enjoy replaying a slightly polished original. As for Half-Life, there is already a well-received fan remake in the form of Black Mesa, which took 15 years to complete and is currently available for purchase on Valve’s own storefront.

The studio isn’t only interested in first-person shooters, however. Nightdive would also like to remaster Eternal Darkness, the psychological horror game released for GameCube in 2002 that has since become a cult classic. According to a tweet by Stephen Kick, the company has had multiple discussions with Nintendo over the years about remastering several of its titles, including GoldenEye. In the same Twitter thread, Kick revealed that Nightdive worked on a pitch for that game for a year but has never had a chance to share it. No matter which title the studio gets to remaster or overhaul next, there will surely be fans who are happy to hear about it.

Alien trilogy!!!

Deerock71

I hate him just for putting Goldeneye in there.
rage GIF

Crayon

I have been wanting to try the first unreal for a bit. I haven't dipped into any of the rerelease/revival boomer shooters yet, despite it being appealing. I keep playing quake over again. I should try ion fury or powerslave or something.

Futaleufu

Pitching projects with Nintendo IPs seem like a waste of time.

Redneck Rampage Collection and Wolfenstein 3D seem doable.

What happened to the Rise of the Triad remaster Apogee/3D Realms were working on?

Stuart360

Out of the games on the list i'd guess at Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Dark Forces, Hexen, Heretic, and Obviously Quake 2 as they already remastered Quake 1. They could possibly do Redneck Rampage too actually.

Duke Nuke is pointless as it already had its remaster really, Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior have already been remade. Goldeneye er yeah, no lol. Alien Trilogy i think is just too old gameplay wise to stand up today (and i loved the game at the time).

God i really do hope Dark Forces is one of them as they would surely do the Jedi Knight games too down the line, and they really need remastering and controller support added natively.

Orta

Banned
I'd imagine they'll probably get the green light for Quake 2.

Shooters aside what I really want to see those guys do is a Tomb Raider 1 + Unfinished Business remaster. Only they could do it justice.

Last edited:
I'd imagine they'll probably get the green light for Quake 2.
I don't think Quake 2 needs it.

Source code is available and well documented. If they want to remaster/port it they don't need nightdive tools and expertise.

EDIT: Didn't knew they did Quake 1.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Hurry up and release System Shock. After you're finished get cracking on remaking System Shock 2. Take your time but hurry up.

winjer

Gold Member
A remake of Unreal would hit the spot really nicely.

Quake II already had a remake of sorts, with Quake RTX.
Half Life also had a remake, with Black Mesa.

SpiceRacz

Would like to see Quake II get the remaster treatment like they did with the original. I'm a few generations behind on my graphics card and can't run the RTX version.

I have been wanting to try the first unreal for a bit. I haven't dipped into any of the rerelease/revival boomer shooters yet, despite it being appealing. I keep playing quake over again. I should try ion fury or powerslave or something.

Definitely play Unreal if you can. It's $1.99 on GoG right now.

fatmarco

Numerous PC classics need console ports.

Half Life 1 chief among them, Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2, Quake 2, Unreal, Deus Ex 1 and 2, System Shock 1 and 2, Thief 1, 2 and 3, Fallout 1 and 2, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, RTCW, Nolf 1 and 2 (even if its impossible) and so on. We are at least getting the odd PC classic ported randomly, like they recently ported over "Blade Runner" and obviously we have the night dive ports but I think its insane that some of the most iconic games of all time are either lost in oblivion or stuck on PC where they are no longer appreciated (to the degree that they would be when ported to consoles).

You should for example, on any modern console, be able to play through the entire Half Life series, from HL1, 2, Ep 1 and 2, Portal, and Portal 2. You can at least do most of that on Xbox currently, but only through Backwards Compatibility (and only through goofily buying through the 360 marketplace or an old physical copy), which to me, doesn't count in the same way native modern ports would.

It just isn't good enough given all these games importance and value.

Apocryphon

I saw an id soft employee tweet recently about getting out the master of the Quake 2 soundtrack, but refusing to say why. I think the reason why is pretty clear.
I'll take it. The current version of Quake 2 lacks the soundtrack, and if they put out a complete collection that includes the expansions and notable mods, it would be worth buying again.

Shifty

I wonder if these will also take 11 months before their advertised remaster content is available in-game, as was the case with Shadow Man.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nightdive should consider using voxels if they want to remaster games like Duke Nukem or Blood. There are already mods that turn many sprites to 3D voxels and they look great. Blood even had some voxels in the original game.

tumblr_pridmdxQdS1xu67nwo1_540.gifv
medkit2.png

Smoother animations is also a must (both for reloads and monsters):

GvTW96a.gif

tJ9386E.gif

k4XZ6JK.gif

Ofc, all these improvements should be optional, like some extras in their Quake remaster. I was a bit disappointed their DOOM 64 remaster had no extra mods/effects. Not even the modded reload animations for the shotguns.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Nightdive should consider using voxels if they want to remaster games like Duke Nukem of Blood. There are already mods that turn many sprites to 3D voxels and they look great. Blood even had some voxels in the original game.
I take it you never played their Blood remaster then?. They did add voxels. They even had to hire people with voxel experience as they didnt really have any.

nkarafo

I take it you never played their Blood remaster then?. They did add voxels. They even had to hire people with voxel experience as they didnt really have any.
Oh i completely forgot about that remaster. I didn't play it because there were some complaints about it not being accurate enough. So i used Raze instead for it.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Alien

Banned
While I'd love itbto be Alien Trilogy, I'd say minimal change that happens too many hoops to jumptnrhoughbwith copyrights, etc. (especially now that Disney owns the rights).

Top Bottom