• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 - Texans 2-0 vs Jags, 4-2 vs AFC South. This week 7-8, Playoffs next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

No passion during game, or afterward
By MIKE FREEMAN, Florida Times-Union columnist

Is it too much to ask for a little effort, fellas? I mean, it is only the season on the line and all.

Was there a Christmas party you guys had to attend? Too much eggnog? Not enough presents? Talk to me. Tell me why you played one of the worst games in franchise history, at a time when you needed to play one of your best. Explain why a Houston team that came looking for blood, punked you out in your own backyard.

Never in Jack Del Rio's most twisted dreams would he have imagined his team laying this kind of rotten egg stinker with so much at stake. Scientists are patrolling distant parts of the solar system for signs of life, but after this 21-0 embarrassment they need to turn those sensors onto Alltel Stadium and search for a pulse. When a mediocre Domanick Davis looks like Jim Brown, it is time for the team to seek therapy.

This was the same Jaguars squad that just last week beat Green Bay in the Antarctic? Did the spirit of Christmas Knucklehead take over the bodies of the coaches and players? It is not that the Jaguars can't handle prosperity. It is that they treat it like it's a radioactive hot potato.

The good news is that no one saw this abomination because the game was blacked out on local television, and just nine people were in the stands.

"The best thing for me to do is go lock myself in a room," said linebacker Mike Peterson. "That's how discouraging it is. Go home, lock myself in a room, stay away from anybody."

In the locker room afterward, I expected to see outrage. Chairs thrown and curses levied and reporters tossed out on their behinds. What I saw was calm. This is a professional group, to their credit, but every now and then doesn't Del Rio or someone else need to have one of those classic Bill Parcells tirades, where Gatorade canisters and egos get smashed against the wall? Someone, sometimes, needs to get medieval on somebody.

Where was the anger? Where was the disgust?

"I plead the fifth," replied defensive lineman Marcus Stroud, when asked why players weren't visibly upset.

Players say that at halftime, when the Jaguars trailed by two touchdowns, the locker room was calm. After the game, again, calmness. Del Rio told the players that this was no time to panic.

Actually, panic time started after Davis broke out for 44 yards in the second quarter.

If it wasn't time to panic why was Stroud, the emotional leader of the team, marching up and down the Jaguars sideline, screaming, "This is our playoff game. Right here.''

Meanwhile, on the Houston bench, one of the Texans players, linebacker Jason Babin, was yelled at by one of the Houston coaches so profusely for blowing an assignment I thought the coach's head was going to explode.

The game was meaningless for them but the Texans coaching staff fought with the kind of passion and viciousness you expected the Jaguars coaches to possess.

"There are people in this locker room that are very angry," said safety Deon Grant. "Everything we have at stake and we play like that? But we will take care of things in house, not in public."

Unfortunately, it may be too late for that, or even for an old fashioned hissy fit from the coach.

mike.freemanjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4377

What? No accusations of a choke hold on Stroud by a player a foot shorter and a good 70 lbs lighter? :lol

This is revenge for last year's late season game.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Mike Freeman said:
The good news is that no one saw this abomination because the game was blacked out on local television, and just nine people were in the stands.

Mike Freeman rocks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
bionic77 said:
What is the Ravens cap situation? I am afrad the Steelers will get cheap and let the Ravens steal Burress from the Steelers. He makes such a huge difference in our offense and would probably make the same impact for Boller too.

From what I remember reading they are in pretty good condition... hopefully they'll spend the money in the right place this off-season....

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DarienA said:
From what I remember reading they are in pretty good condition... hopefully they'll spend the money in the right place this off-season....

As long as they keep that defense intact, it's all good. Man I'd make Ed Reed a WR. Lord knows he's caught enough this season. Hell he has more TDs than some receiving cores. :lol

... Like the Giant's. :(

Mrbob

Is Eli worth a damn? Fuuuuuuck, can he at least win a damn game! We are tied with the Giants at 5-10 and we lose the draft tiebreaker because we beat them! I want a better draft pick the Bears will do their thang and lose on Sunday C'MON ELI WIN ONE!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
Is Eli worth a damn? Fuuuuuuck, can he at least win a damn game! We are tied with the Giants at 5-10 and we lose the draft tiebreaker because we beat them! I want a better draft pick the Bears will do their thang and lose on Sunday C'MON ELI WIN ONE!

Well for what it's worth, San Diego gets our fucking pick....ARGH. FUCK YOU ERNIE ACCORSI (Giant's GM) FUCK YOU IN THE CULO.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Slo said:
Getting swept by the Packers is like a lit charcoal brickette in my lungs.

Try getting swept by the Texans some time.

Or the 49ers, for any Cardinals fans out there. :lol

bionic77

Wellington said:
Cool, they'll just sign Plaxico. ;)

I blame Microsoft Office. There was a time when I knew how to spell but Office has ended that.

This place needs a spellcheck. And Baltimore can takes Hines, we will hold on to Burress. :D

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
keiichi said:
no, I think Kearse is out, not sure if anyone else is.

good thing we were still able to contain the run

:lol :lol :lol

Well at least we scored once before Koy comes in to ruin the day. I wish they would put in Jeff Blake before him.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The hell was that? why are you gonna try to intercept all the way down field with no chance of running it back. And i never knew you could challange an interception that your own team caught. I can tell already the rest of this game is going to be crazy. *Buckles up*

Tamanon

Banned
:lol That's crazy.

And, my god, the way the announceers are talking about the backup QB, he's the second coming of Roethlisburger.....er....Christ.

Faulk is used up. Don't listen to all the talking heads on ESPN. "giving the ball to faulk" isn't an automatic recipe for success.

Steven jackson should be the starter imo

keiichi

soulja224466 said:
He was an idiot to intercept that :lol

AND he paid the price, whatta ya gotta do? KNOCK IT DOWN

He didn't want to pull a Pinkston by dodging or knocking the ball down. :)

keiichi

Jackson is a f-ing monster. Has he been doing this well the whole season? They keep saying he didn't play last week, was he inactive or did Martz do his 'I'm an offensive genius' thing?

It's faulk, he basically makes the call whether he'll be in or not. That's what we've been hearing. At some point martz has to grow a pair, and step up and be the head coach. Looks like the embarassment to arizona last week has changed a few things.

keiichi

Lol, that's funny that Martz doesn't decide.

meanwhile, wtf are you doing calling timeouts? was that just supposed to bore everyone? The last 45 seconds of the half felt longer than the game so far.

Paradox

Well if do lose then we deserve not to make it. Our season has been ass(the second half of it basically), but if they bounce back and beat the Colts then im all up for the playoffs.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Myllz said:
No playoffs for you! 3 AFC East teams make the playoffs.

As if. You're going down next week as well. The Jaguars knew this, which is why they rested their starters against Houston this week, sending in talentless body doubles to play the game. All mockery aside, that was Gary Coleman in the #7 shirt.

Myllz

iapetus said:
As if. You're going down next week as well. The Jaguars knew this, which is why they rested their starters against Houston this week, sending in talentless body doubles to play the game. All mockery aside, that was Gary Coleman in the #7 shirt.

Right. How many people were at that game? 9? You guys really rallied behind your team in the clutch there.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Myllz said:
No playoffs for you! 3 AFC East teams make the playoffs.

No shit. I'm pissed the Steelers are going to be resting players like Duce and possibly Ben. They need practice against the Bills,because there's a damned good chance they'll play again in about three weeks.

i don't think the bills would get far in the playoffs.

i will say this though. they have a tenacious D (rock your fuckin socks off!), and they DO have the running game to play in cold weather. so while i personally dont think they will get far, it's not a one in a million shot

Myllz

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't think the bills would get far in the playoffs.

i will say this though. they have a tenacious D (rock your fuckin socks off!), and they DO have the running game to play in cold weather. so while i personally dont think they will get far, it's not a one in a million shot

Depends who they would play in the first round. If they get matched up against San Diego, they can walk away with a first round win. The problem is if they have to play New England at some point. Bledsoe is horrible in Foxboro, and he doesn't perform much better at home against Belichick. I'd rather see the Bills have to face off against Pittsburgh than New England. It'll be tough, but you have to admit seeing the Bills in the playoffs makes it more exciting than the weak Broncos.

I think it's funny how the bills get no respect, yet everyone is jumping back on the carolina bandwagon. Carolina will be one and done, i guarantee that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom